Verizon Early 2012 - What's Coming?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do we really need Quad Core on a phone?

I think the Next Big Thing to watch for on Verizon (say in 8-10 months) is Second Gen LTE chips with VOLTE (Voice over LTE), and NFC (Verizon and ATT are getting ready to roll out this ISIS electronic payments system in a big way). I'd be very happy with a mid range phone being 1-1.2 GHz dual core,
1 GB ram, 16-32 GB onboard memory, 2nd Gen LTE with VOLTE and a 1500 Milliamp battery, 4.0 inch qHD (960x540 is fine) display giving me full day+ battery life while everyone else is spending $299 for their new 720P, 2.0 GHz quad core, 2GB memory that you really only need for games. I think by then my idea of mid range phone will do great. I can't see having anything bigger than 4.0" in a phone (and hopefully I'm not alone so they make some decently specced 4.0" phones). That's my early wish list for holiday season 2012 (very happy with my red Dinc 2 for free on contract this past holiday season and I'm sure it will last at least a year until my next mid range phone meets my wish list).

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
What are the chances the Galaxy SIII lands on Verizon? I just returned my GNex due to constant dropping of data and I'm crossing my fingers for the SIII by April. I just was unimpressed by the Gnex all around and could not justify the cost and contract extension.

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
After reading the "What is LTE?"
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/110711-what-is-lte
article there's a lot of work to be done for Verizon before thier LTE can truly be taken seriously (at least in my eyes).
VOLTE would be a big help, but the back up (VZW's 3G) doesn't play well with LTE, on the device and vzw end.
So I could not care less if a phone has 18 cores. I'm probably not going to get a new one until these network issues are resolved...unless the GS3 (or hell, a late GS2) comes out.
Seriously the GS2 is still as good as it gets.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Definitely too big for me.. if this is true I think it almost detracts from the possibility of Verizon getting the GS3. It would be nice if big red got some bleeding edge hardware for once.

It is to large for me also. I hope this time verizon gets the gs3 but who knows with verizon. Maybe they will get it this time and not get the nexus first since clearly they didn't want much to do with the nexus anyway.

theonlychoman

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Plans for 2012 include the Galaxy Journal and iPhone 5...will still keep my GNex; it's a great phone.

Hope that VOLTE and the Big Red's next LTE upgrades comes out soon. Will be interesting to see what kind of tab Google brings out since they now have bought Motorola Mobility.

Also, will be keeping an eye out for the Asus quad core tab for $250 that was spotted at CES...

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The Note/Journal would be great. LTE is definitely a disappointment. I loose data connectivity often and we all know about battery woes!

knightshade

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If there was a 5.3" android phone available now on verizon's network - I'd have upgraded already.
Hoping that my D1 can hold out until the Journal becomes a reality.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
wouldn't you consider anything over 5 inches a tablet?..

i'm just hoping they keep the incredible line alive and put a dual-core with 1-2 gig RAM and a LTE if they fix the battery life issue..

and all in the same size.. the screen could be 4-4.3 inches, but the overall form should stay the same.. it's a phone and i would like to be comfortable holding it my ear..

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless I missed one (quite possible), only 1 mention of a hopeful HTC device. The last year has been pretty disappointing for HTC and it sounds like they know it. When they really put in the effort, I think they make the best devices (original EVO and Incredible) and I am really hoping to see them come with something impressive later this year. I made the jump to Sammy with the Nexus but I would gladly switch back to HTC if they get their act together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37