Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Solely placing the "blame" on carriers for OEM customizations ignores the fact that the OEMs want to differentiate their products from their competitors as well. Sense as a UI even existed before Android.

I believe that as long as the Motorola brand exists, there is a place for MotoBlur. That's part of beauty of Android.
    If you're the only one using stock, you are differentiating yourself. You could also get updates out faster which would also set you apart. They're going as minimal as possible so to me it looks like they don't really want to continue the skin. I think some skins are good, like Touchwiz, and it's good that OEMs can add their own personal flavor but some, such as Sense, just suck IMO. I guess it doesn't really matter because Blur will continue like you said,but we just disagree as to the reasons why.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemiskel View Post
    If you're the only one using stock, you are differentiating yourself. You could also get updates out faster which would also set you apart. They're going as minimal as possible so to me it looks like they don't really want to continue the skin. I think some skins are good, like Touchwiz, and it's good that OEMs can add their own personal flavor but some, such as Sense, just suck IMO. I guess it doesn't really matter because Blur will continue like you said,but we just disagree as to the reasons why.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    I'm all for skins as long as they don't hinder the update process. I should have the option to update my OS without having to wait for crapware to be compatible. If the skin was developed like a launcher it would make things easier for everyone. DELL sells their computers with all kinds of garbage installed but I can remove it. Why should your phone be any different. And I mean without rooting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I'm all for skins as long as they don't hinder the update process. I should have the option to update my OS without having to wait for crapware to be compatible. If the skin was developed like a launcher it would make things easier for everyone. DELL sells their computers with all kinds of garbage installed but I can remove it. Why should your phone be any different. And I mean without rooting.

Problem is mobile devices are not open standard based like PC where you can build device by yourself, that forced freedom of installing system for yourself as otherwise PC market would not able to work and trying to force closure will fail... it already failing on latest attempts with UEFI. Software companies whats you to be locked in there box of services and that reached imo insane level on carriers in US, all i hear here is carrier that and this on hardware and software topics and freely sold phones are odd revolution everyone is suppriced about (Nexus 4)... where im my country it's notmal thing i dont need to care about carrier if i dont want to.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

If the "skin" isn't part of the AOSP, it's going to "hinder" the update process.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

If the "skin" isn't part of the AOSP, it's going to "hinder" the update process.
    why? The added Crap is just apps and launchers for the most part. If they treated them that way rather than wrapping it all together people could choose. I personally loved lots of things about HTC sense but I still think that if the core part of Vanilla Android ways separate it would be better. If htc doesn't get their apps updated for the latest OS update then I have the option of not updating. It's no different than when I updated to windows 8, there were a bunch of programs that were not compatible so I had the option to choose what I wanted to do.

Android Evangelist
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

why? The added Crap is just apps and launchers for the most part. If they treated them that way rather than wrapping it all together people could choose. I personally loved lots of things about HTC sense but I still think that if the core part of Vanilla Android ways separate it would be better. If htc doesn't get their apps updated for the latest OS update then I have the option of not updating. It's no different than when I updated to windows 8, there were a bunch of programs that were not compatible so I had the option to choose what I wanted to do.

The added "crap" goes way beyond the launcher.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

The added "crap" goes way beyond the launcher.

that's my point it doesn't add enough value to go beyond it. Unless we are maybe taking about the Note 2.

Android Evangelist
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

that's my point it doesn't add enough value to go beyond it. Unless we are maybe taking about the Note 2.

Samsung, HTC, and Motorola would all disagree.

This is the whole idea behind the X Phone, is it not? Enable the OEM skin to exist on top of stock Android instead of within.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Samsung, HTC, and Motorola would all disagree.
    True yet I feel that the only company doing anything really significant with their skin is Samsung. I don't mean in terms of looks because Sense looks great but so many people just re skin with launchers anyway. If it wasn't so layered then people would be able to buy phones that have the best hardware and build quality.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    This is the whole idea behind the X Phone, is it not? Enable the OEM skin to exist on top of stock Android instead of within.
    Exactly. Google knows that if and when this phone comes out they will make a few enemies. Only Samsung will remain ahead of the curve. The rest will cry in their beers.

Android Evangelist
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

Still a rumor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Still a rumor.

True, but it's a rumor that makes a ton of sense. If Google could develop Android in that way, everyone would win. People could have their fast updates and still get all the benefits from the skins. OEM's could focus on just making their own software better instead of focusing on it playing nice with the base code.
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

True, but it's a rumor that makes a ton of sense. If Google could develop Android in that way, everyone would win. People could have their fast updates and still get all the benefits from the skins. OEM's could focus on just making their own software better instead of focusing on it playing nice with the base code.
    The fundamental flaw with that thinking is calling them "skins" when they go deeper than that.

Plus that really wouldn't get updates out that much faster because if the base breaks the skin, you still won't be getting that update right away.

Default Odp: Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

You expanding stock ui insted of replacing it?

Default Odp: Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

The fundamental flaw with that thinking is calling them "skins" when they go deeper than that.

Plus that really wouldn't get updates out that much faster because if the base breaks the skin, you still won't be getting that update right away.

Not to mention until Linux kernel ARM hardware support modularity is not fully ready each arm device require diffrent kernel compile configuration as result diffrent kernel binery.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Default Re: Odp: Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

After reading all these rumored specs and info on the phone, the only question that remains is...will it get its updates straight from google just as quick as a nexus device? If yes then it is a no brainer device to pick up and upgrade any nexus one might have. If not...no thanks. I can't stand waiting months for updates after google releases them. Something tells me that a nexus will still be the best route to take if you care about having the latest software as soon as it is released by google. I will take latest software soon after it being available over specs any day of the week. Learned my lesson after owning a G2X.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    After reading all these rumored specs and info on the phone, the only question that remains is...will it get its updates straight from google just as quick as a nexus device? If yes then it is a no brainer device to pick up and upgrade any nexus one might have. If not...no thanks. I can't stand waiting months for updates after google releases them. Something tells me that a nexus will still be the best route to take if you care about having the latest software as soon as it is released by google. I will take latest software soon after it being available over specs any day of the week. Learned my lesson after owning a G2X.
    It'll originate from Google simply because Google owns Motorola.

MotoBlur will still probably exist and if sold through carriers, I'd imagine some bloatware would still hold up an update.

If immediate updates are important to you, there is no reason why you shouldn't be using all Nexus devices.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

In my opinion the carriers are the ones who hinder the update process. Especially VZW. Just look at how they have handled the updates to the Galaxy Nexus.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Default Re: Odp: Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

More than likely it will not, if it is on a carrier like VZW. They have made it common place to drag their feet and to take weeks and weeks to "approve" an update.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    In my opinion the carriers are the ones who hinder the update process. Especially VZW. Just look at how they have handled the updates to the Galaxy Nexus.
    I think Asus is the only company that gets it. Both my Transformer TF101 and Prime received the latest updates less than a month after the update was released. I've had Jelly Bean on my Transformer Prime for months. It has very little bloat ware and does exactly what it needs to. I don't see that their lack of a deep skin has impeded their product in any way.

Considering there is no carrier on these tablets definitely helps.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

[/B]
    It'll originate from Google simply because Google owns Motorola.

MotoBlur will still probably exist and if sold through carriers, I'd imagine some bloatware would still hold up an update.

If immediate updates are important to you, there is no reason why you shouldn't be using all Nexus devices.

Then that will be a shame.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

[/B]

Then that will be a shame.
    Look at the Galaxy S3. Same phone on all carriers right? Not really - different bloatware per carrier.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456