Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they're taking turns but a Nexus by Moto would be nice provided they use good screen technology. Pretty sure Andy Rubin said they wouldn't give Moto special treatment though. Let's just hope they put a good bid in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm very unhappy with Samsung phones. The build quality and their radios are sub-par. I'll take a buggy phone with a better connection ANY day. And aside from the GN, they take forever to update the OS as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

+1. Yes exactly. Samsung is not capable of making a good radio. The fact that google picked Samsung again was very disappointing. A Moto Nexus would show off Androids true capabilities. Moto though needs to stop treating us hackers poorly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: jroc

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
+1. Yes exactly. Samsung is not capable of making a good radio. The fact that google picked Samsung again was very disappointing. A Moto Nexus would show off Androids true capabilities. Moto though needs to stop treating us hackers poorly.

Samsung is obviously under-bidding Moto and HTC. Now that Moto is under Google's umbrella, maybe that will change.

What I don't understand is why manufacturers care about what we do to phones after we buy them. They made their buck, if I want to run over it with steam roller, they shouldn't care.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is obviously under-bidding Moto and HTC. Now that Moto is under Google's umbrella, maybe that will change.

What I don't understand is why manufacturers care about what we do to phones after we buy them. They made their buck, if I want to run over it with steam roller, they shouldn't care.

Motorola seems to be the only one left who cares.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea Motorola needs to loosen up a bit. I think they tend to do whatever Verizon tells them to do.

Also someone speculated they are so tight with encryption because they are trying to become a business alternative to blackberry and want to show business owners that they can thwart hackers.

I do hope Google has some behind the scenes involvement with Moto to offer an option to unlock bootloaders.

John_C#AC

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, I would go so far as to say I see the Google acquisition making it far LESS likely that we will see a Moto Nexus.

The whole business model for Android is essentially the same as Microsoft drove to dominate the PC market. They focus on software and allow other companies to compete and innovate with the hardware and end user capabilities. They didn't buy Moto to make better phones. They bought Moto because they needed the patents to defend themselves against Apple. I could easily see them selling off the hardware unit after raiding the intellectual property vault - and that might be our best shot at seeing a Moto Nexus.

So long as Google owns Moto, they don't want to give even a whiff of favoritism because they don't want the other manufacturers to feel as if they are playing against a dealer with a stacked deck and his own hand in play. Those device makers are the key to their strategy and the key to their success. Google would rather shut down the whole phone operation at Moto than risk defections from the rest of the device makers. So if anything, I bet Moto will get less favoritism instead of more as executives go out of their way to avoid even the appearance of favoritism.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft didn't allow different skins or interfaces to be on put on their computers.

Also I don't think Samsung and HTC would turn their backs on Google for making a Moto Nexus, after all htc and Samsung already had Nexus devices. I think Google will allow all manufacturers to get a fair shot at trying to bid on the Nexus.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, I would go so far as to say I see the Google acquisition making it far LESS likely that we will see a Moto Nexus.

The whole business model for Android is essentially the same as Microsoft drove to dominate the PC market. They focus on software and allow other companies to compete and innovate with the hardware and end user capabilities. They didn't buy Moto to make better phones. They bought Moto because they needed the patents to defend themselves against Apple. I could easily see them selling off the hardware unit after raiding the intellectual property vault - and that might be our best shot at seeing a Moto Nexus.

So long as Google owns Moto, they don't want to give even a whiff of favoritism because they don't want the other manufacturers to feel as if they are playing against a dealer with a stacked deck and his own hand in play. Those device makers are the key to their strategy and the key to their success. Google would rather shut down the whole phone operation at Moto than risk defections from the rest of the device makers. So if anything, I bet Moto will get less favoritism instead of more as executives go out of their way to avoid even the appearance of favoritism.

If thats the case...that isnt fair to Motorola. So its either risk hurting Moto feelings or the other manufactures...Its a no win situation then. Only fair thing to do is just have Moto make the next one or one soon. Maybe Moto doesnt even care about making a Nexus phone.

If you look at it...Samsung making back to back Nexus phones might be rubbing some ppl the wrong way too. So they are showing favoritism to Samsung and its fine? Even tho HTC has actual dev phones for Android, after the Nexus One its been all Samsung for Nexus phones.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site

That would be disappointing since they tend to make the best hardware. The MS comparison isn't really and apt comparison though since MS never bought a PC manufacturer.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That would be disappointing since they tend to make the best hardware. The MS comparison isn't really and apt comparison though since MS never bought a PC manufacturer.

MS, is a great comparison, especially if you know how they have been with their Windows phone. They have very specific requirements that manufacturers need to meet in order to make a Windows phone. It creates consistency for their phone no matter the manufacturer.

It would be nice if Google did it more like that. Maybe we wouldn't have horrible skins on the Android phones that we do now. No more of that garbage Blur, Touch Whiz or Sense.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
MS, is a great comparison, especially if you know how they have been with their Windows phone. They have very specific requirements that manufacturers need to meet in order to make a Windows phone. It creates consistency for their phone no matter the manufacturer.

It would be nice if Google did it more like that. Maybe we wouldn't have horrible skins on the Android phones that we do now. No more of that garbage Blur, Touch Whiz or Sense.

I have to say that the latest versions of Sense UI, Touchwiz and Blur, even Sense UI from 2010 wasnt all that bad.

"One mans trash is another mans treasure...."

I honestly feel the custom UI's dont get enough credit for what they get right vs. stock Android. Do you know the innovation thats in the latest version of Touchwiz and the UI thats on the LG phones? Tilt to swipe screens, tilt to zoom? It was mentioned and demoed for Gingerbread or Honeycomb I think....and Samsung and LG chose to implement it in their custom UI's. But its not in stock Android yet.

We really need to give the custom UI's more credit than we do.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site

First off the person who mentioned MS was talking about their PC business unit , not their phone business unit, LOL! I guess you didn't read the post in which this was brought up.

Second, I don't want Google telling phone manufacturers how to design their phones, that inhibits creativity in the design process.

And the last, and more importantly biggest of the failed points in your post, is that if you watched Matias Durente's ICS presentation, he commented on how many of the new ICS features were taken from the various skins that the manufacturers were installing. He applauded them on their innovation.

Reactions: jroc

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that the latest versions of Sense UI, Touchwiz and Blur, even Sense UI from 2010 wasnt all that bad.

"One mans trash is another mans treasure...."

I honestly feel the custom UI's dont get enough credit for what they get right vs. stock Android. Do you know the innovation thats in the latest version of Touchwiz and the UI thats on the LG phones? Tilt to swipe screens, tilt to zoom? It was mentioned and demoed for Gingerbread or Honeycomb I think....and Samsung and LG chose to implement it in their custom UI's. But its not in stock Android yet.

We really need to give the custom UI's more credit than we do.
You may be right. But, what should happen is phone manufacturers should leave it up to the phone owner to decide what skins they would like. Give them the option to switch off Sense, TouchWhiz, or Blur. Instead what they choose to do is force their vision of Android onto people Leaving them with only the option of rooting and eliminating them.

When they do not offer at least the choice, that indicates to me they fear the majority of phone owners will not choose theirs.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First off the person who mentioned MS was talking about their PC business unit , not their phone business unit, LOL! I guess you didn't read the post in which this was brought up.
Actually I did read it.
Second, I don't want Google telling phone manufacturers how to design their phones, that inhibits creativity in the design process.
No it doesn't.

dccox7

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
may i ask you what are your top reasons for wanting a moto? i am sincerely interested.

i have owned older motos, but never any android phones. i didnt like them at all. not the screens, not the choppy feel, not the feel-in-the-hand. but i know it's possible that these new ones are entirely different... not having tried them myself. but some seem to love their android motos, and i am simply trying to understand why.

I was wondering the same thing

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing

There are pretty much 3 big players in the cell phone industry, Moto, Samsung and HTC. LG is just not on par with these three.

HTC makes a good, solid phone but their designs are uninspiring. They are pretty much all the same when it comes to design.

Samsung phones have sub-par builds and have weak radios.

Having had both Samsung and HTC android phones, I switched to Motorola and the Razr this time around. This is simply the most solidly built phone I have ever had. I'm not talking Kevlar and Gorilla Glass, just overall quality. Plus, I get reception and hold it where my other two phones didn't.

IMO, a phone should be a phone first and everything else second. If I can't get calls or texts, then what good is it?

If one wants a portable computer, get a tablet.