Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Default Re: 6.5" Screen on a Smartphone... anybody?

Way too big. I can barely use my Evo 3D with one hand if I need to

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

"6.5 inches is a hat size so you could wear it on your head with the android handset holder headband "

You mean a head-holder....something like this>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5" Screen on a Smartphone... anybody?-head-hat.jpg  
    Last edited by minorron; 05-08-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: missing txt
    mud314 and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I would be interested in this size, I am currently waiting and hoping that the Note comes out with Sprint soon, I am eligible for upgrade in August! Why not an edge to edge phone screen, with all the technology out I believe this would be possible.
    Thanked by:
    Uncle Louie and MERCDROID like this.

Oh, yes, 6.5" to 7.5" display, YES. I would love a phone-tablet (or tablet-phone) of this display size! I always use the speakerphone on my HTC Inspire and previous cells---so size of a cell held to my ear is not applicable.

Prior to my 10" Toshiba Thrive tab, I tried an HTC Flyer for a week---the only thing missing for me was voice call capability. The Flyer just seemed like it should have calling.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

OK....do you guys remember when the iPad first launched and every Android user said it was nothing more than an iPhone and that people would look stupid using those iPads? Now who is going to be the one looking silly? For me, I think that 4.3" is just about right, anything bigger than that I think it has lost it's phone appeal and moved on to a tablet.
    Procrastinate now, don't put it off.

I agree... almost. I have the Gnex, with a 4.65 screen. Its about the limit for me, and I've got decent sized hands. I tried the note (5.3 inch screen) and found it terribly awkward, both in my hand(s) and held up to my head.

That being said, IMHO the Note is kind of a specialty item. A small sized tablet, which I would imagine limits its usability as a tablet. Yet its awkward as a smartphone, due to the fact it would almost always have to be handled 2 handed.
    King Of Pants

ROM
    CM10/Sense

at these increased sizes,you may as well walk around with a tablet stuck to your face..ridiculous lol

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    mud314 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    Oh, yes, 6.5" to 7.5" display, YES. I would love a phone-tablet (or tablet-phone) of this display size! I always use the speakerphone on my HTC Inspire and previous cells---so size of a cell held to my ear is not applicable.
    Look at the international Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, you can make calls with it.
    pmjj and MERCDROID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Android View Post
    Look at the international Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, you can make calls with it.
    Yo, my husband has this wireless device (probably not what you term international); I set it up for him and after a year of resolving probs with it I'm definitely not partial to a Samsung tab. In fact, although I'm very attracted to the Note, I've been wondering whether I'd have the same lack of feeling toward it (since it's a Samsung product). I plan to purchase a Note 2 as soon as it comes to AT&T if it is more advanced/intuitive/smoother than the tab 7.

Can anyone in here (who has used both the Note and the 7" tab) please comment on differences?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Noooooooo. Thats huge!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    Way to big...would some people buy it sure but how in the world would you fit it in your pocket?
    goth pants.

Hahahahaha @ Goth pants

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

ROM

Thats a bit much, keep it 5" and under and focus on making brilliant screen displays
    and excellent cameras as well as awesome tough stable hardware.

I'm surprised that there are no "That's what she said" jokes in this thread
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by matthew2109 View Post
    I'm surprised that there are no "That's what she said" jokes in this thread
    It would pain me take one that big.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.

Roll out/roll back screens.
    I don't think we will see a phone of 6.5 inches but I do think a phone could be a tablet as well. This being done by having a roll out screen, it rolls out and then rolls back when you are not using it. This tech is upon us and is just waiting to become cheaper.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Edge to Edge
    For all the folks asking for an edge to edge screen. The fact that we do not have them is not only down to tech limitations but also to practicality. The tech issues are surmountable but the phone companies strongly believe the lack of edge would make the phone very difficult to handle, culminating in many input mistakes, thus making people think that the phone is rubbish.

Search HTC one xxl

Sent from my sorry *** EVO 3D

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

6.5 is way to big for me That's what she said. But honestly I couldn't even imagine it. But I never thought I would see a 5.3 inch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by CTREV21 View Post
    Search HTC one xxl

Sent from my sorry *** EVO 3D
    Isn't that a concept phone?

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

I really wanted the Samsung note but it is not on Verizon. After using the galaxy nexus for a week, I can't see how I could use anything bigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'd personally like a phone very slightly bigger than the S3, but with a 5+ inch screen and *very* little bezel. A huge battery and HD screen. That's pretty much all I need.

Global Posts
    7,572 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

A 6.5 inch screen is just to big for my taste .LoL I wouldnt purchase one no matter of the make/model
    I would not want a phone screen bigger then 5 inch max.So phone screens between 4 inch(min) and 5 inch(max) .
    Last edited by davidnc; 06-12-2012 at 08:23 AM.

6.5 is a tablet! well a small one. I think 4-4.5" is the best.

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

I have absolutely no problems carrying my Note in my jeans pocket. I wear an average size, so anyone who says they can't fit it in must be wearing ridiculously tight/skinny jeans! I also use it one-handed without any problems, but then again I do have large hands. That's part of what's so appealing about this device to me, as I find it so much easier to use - typing on my Nexus One was awful for me.

The Note is without a doubt the best phone I've ever owned and I'm never going back to a screen size smaller than this one. 6.5" though, I'm not sure. If they could fit that into the dimensions of the Note I'd definitely give it a look.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast