Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Arrow 6.5" Screen on a Smartphone... anybody?

OK, if you keep the width of the current Galaxy Note (3.266"), use a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 and deploy a minimalist bezel, the result would be a 6.5" diagonal screen (5.665" X 3.187")...

THAT is the cell device I want...
    Thanked by:
    pmjj 
    quikric, pmjj, n-strike and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 6.5" Screen on a Smartphone... anybody?

More talk of edge to edge displays huh? I've used the note before and it's just barely useable one handed. 6.5 pushes that past the limit, IMHO.

Way to big...would some people buy it sure but how in the world would you fit it in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    Way to big...would some people buy it sure but how in the world would you fit it in your pocket?
    Agree. the note is to large as it is even if they cut out most of the bezel it is still way to large IMO.
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Agree. the note is to large as it is even if they cut out most of the bezel it is still way to large IMO.
    My ideal phone screen is about 6 inches with a 3500 mah battery. More than enough room for that.
    quikric, n-strike and MERCDROID like this.

As a current Note owner, which I love more than any phone I've ever owned (both Apple and Android), the Note is not too big. No problems fitting it in the front or rear pockets of my jeans or dress pants. I understand your question about keeping the physical dimensions of the Note and installing the biggest screen possible in that form factor. My answer to that is that it would be interesting, but ppl might get frustrated when wrapping their fingers around the phone to hold it and unintentionally trigging some part of the phone or application in do so.

I think there needs to be some relationship with the size and weight of a phone and a minimum bezel to hold it or rest your fingers on. I have a tablet and I need that bezel to hold it without triggering something unintentionally.
    ffastffrank likes this.

ROM
    Andromadus ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Dengue View Post
    OK, if you keep the width of the current Galaxy Note (3.266"), use a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 and deploy a minimalist bezel, the result would be a 6.5" diagonal screen (5.665" X 3.187")...

THAT is the cell device I want...
    Ever heard of a 7inch tablet? There is no way that there will be a 6.5 inch phone 5.5 inch maybe but not a tablet that makes phone calls.
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by G2 owner View Post
    Ever heard of a 7inch tablet? There is no way that there will be a 6.5 inch phone 5.5 inch maybe but not a tablet that makes phone calls.
    Don't doubt technology.
    quikric, jroc and MERCDROID like this.

Yes, absolutely I would like one. I carry a 7" HTC Flyer in my left front pocket everywhere I go and the EVO in the right pocket. Make sure it has plenty of internal memory, multi core, and an easy access micro SD slot. I would like a pen that also acts as a BT handset that could clip in a shirt pocket or collar, that way, calls could be handled with phone in pocket. Another feature that would be neat is if device is removed from pocket while on BT, the screen would automatically display a notepad/caller log with caller info and date/time stamp so user could easily take notes/record speech to text conversation. That would do it for me. The ElderTechTutor
    Last edited by ffastffrank; 03-17-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    quikric and MERCDROID like this.

Good, I have been promoting "Unified" device for some time. Let's keep this going.

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I would definitely be interested in a device with screen bigger than the GNote but hopefully it would be not quite as wide and tall as the note. Maybe that is just a Note with smaller bezel. But bezel is also important to avoid accidental touch while holding. I hated the buttons on EVO 4G because they were too close to the corners. All the 6" and larger tablets and ereaders have a big bezel to hold, but it would be interesting to see how the experience is with less bezel to have a smaller device.

There are already at least one tablet bigger than this than can make phone calls...

And IMO 6.5" is a tablet. 4.3", 4.5"" is already pushing it. 5" and over is tablet territory.
    Premium1 likes this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

As long as the device with screen diagonal between 5.3" and 7" can be
    a) quite pocketable, can be reasonably handled as a phone by one hand (that is, has minimal, or zero top, bottom bezels when in landscape),
    b) has a hi-res SAMOLED screen with additional digitizer for stylus note taking,
    this type of phoblet or phablet (see in my blog ) is absolutely legit, at least for Samsung that is bent on releasing as many models as possible in calibers that are not taken by competition.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ffastffrank View Post
    Yes, absolutely I would like one. I carry a 7" HTC Flyer in my left front pocket everywhere I go and the EVO in the right pocket. Make sure it has plenty of internal memory, multi core, and an easy access micro SD slot. I would like a pen that also acts as a BT handset that could clip in a shirt pocket or collar, that way, calls could be handled with phone in pocket. Another feature that would be neat is if device is removed from pocket while on BT, the screen would automatically display a notepad/caller log with caller info and date/time stamp so user could easily take notes/record speech to text conversation. That would do it for me. The ElderTechTutor
    Holy crap. 7" tablet in your front pocket? What are you, 500 pounds? What kind of jeans are you wearing lol. Are you sure you're walking around with those or are you on your Hoveround?
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

7 inches in the front pocket isn't too bad. A 7 inch tablet isn't as big as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    7 inches in the front pocket isn't too bad. A 7 inch tablet isn't as big as you think.
    I guess I wear skinny jeans. The Galaxy Nexus uncomfortably fit in my pocket and that was only a 4.65" screen. Can't imagine adding 2.35" on that sucker + bezel.
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatman View Post
    I guess I wear skinny jeans. The Galaxy Nexus uncomfortably fit in my pocket and that was only a 4.65" screen. Can't imagine adding 2.35" on that sucker + bezel.
    Oh I used to wear skinny jeans too. Then I got my thunderbolt extended battery. That changes things.
    sndplace and MERCDROID like this.

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

The Note appears to just fit in a shirt pocket, which is a lot more likely place for me to carry it than in either a front or back pants pocket. I frequently wear cargo pants, and could rearrange stuff to be able to carry a phone in one of the side pockets, but the pocket that is most consistently available is the breast pocket of a shirt. Anything that will fit in there with some sort of skin-tight protective case is in the ballpark for me.

too big

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatman View Post
    Everyone tells me my jeans are tight, but this morning on the way to work, Both Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and a pen in my front pocket without them overlapping.

Anybody that says the note is too big for pockets must have their jeans painted on.
    The never ending pursuit of one device to rule them all, and Exceptional espresso...

Quote Originally Posted by G2 owner View Post

?

I think that would be definitely too big for me I don't like the size of the Galaxy Note. When I put it in my hand it didn't feel like a phone. I would have to pass on anything that big or bigger.

Then why we call that a smart phone, we should call is a smart-tablet or some thing else...
    Harrison Ford

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonford265 View Post
    Then why we call that a smart phone, we should call is a smart-tablet or some thing else...
    Basically that's what it is. A tablet that makes phone calls.

ROM
    H208

6.5 inches is a hat size so you could wear it on your head with the android handset holder headband and be happy all the time and have a neck like a pitbull!! What's not to like??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast