Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Casen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm deploying in a month. What will be out when I return?

When I get back around beginning 2013, what is your speculation of the phone I will be to get.

Ie: I'm feeling I will be able to get a phone with a 4.8 inch 720p screen, quad core, 1.5gb ram. It will have 64gb internal memory (because as nice as the cloud is, it does NOT work in all the places the military works.)
    It will have a sd card slot, 3000mhz minimum battery, and will feature actual stereo speakers (on the back in landscape mode)
    I honestly do not care about the thinness, but hopefully around the same thickness as a Droid Charge.

A small Bezel on top and bottom, (for holding) and a minimal Bezel on the sides. The camera won't have more than 10mp, but will be better engineered to not suck ***. The FFC will be 5mp.
    Soft keys only on the screen, and there WILL be an actual camera button with 2 stages.
    Bootloader will be un encrypted (because that's the problem).
    Also, will be a Verizon device.

What are your hopes for an actual early 2013 device?
    Thanked by 2:
    jkrough0728 likes this.

Default Re: I'm deploying in a month. What will be out when I return?

Casen thank for you protecting our country. What you do has earned respect from every American.

As far as the phones.... I just hope whatever it is keeps the removeable battery and an SD slot !

Good luck and get home safe.
    My Apps!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Chaos+Studios#?t=W10.

ROM
    Aokp, Cm9, Miui v4

I was once in your shoes, and it's a great thing to be a part of. One of the funniest parts was to leave on a deployment and come back to see all changes since you left. I think you are almost spot on for the next Razr maxx 2. The front camera will only be 3 MP, but it will eventually hit 5 MP I'm sure.
    Thank you for serving our country, always be proud.

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1/ 4.2.1 / Lean Kern

Yea same boat but while I was on R&R I ended up getting the Galaxy Nexus. Talk about being impatient lol. So I'm set for a good minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Casen View Post
    When I get back around beginning 2013, what is your speculation of the phone I will be to get.

Ie: I'm feeling I will be able to get a phone with a 4.8 inch 720p screen, quad core, 1.5gb ram.

At the rate that mobile screen tech is progressing, I would not be surprised to see full 1080p HD screens on these devices being introduced at CES next year. The phones will probable have 2G of ram as apps and Android OS get more sophisticated.

It will have 64gb internal memory (because as nice as the cloud is, it does NOT work in all the places the military works.)
    Nope, sorry. With the heavy investments being made in Cloud storage and computing, this is exactly the road that future android Tech is headed. I do expect the next crop of high end Android phones to come with 32 GB of storage only because the photos and video require more storage space. 64 GB would still not be as cost effective. I image companies like Motorola doing something putting 64 GB of storage, but they will miss that 199/299 price point that people like so much... Same thing that happened with the Xoom's 32GB. This is precisely why removable MicroSD should continue to be offered on these phones. Give the user the option to add more memory if he/she so desires. Furthermore, I understand that Cloud does not work everywhere the Military operates, but unfortunately, that is a technical issue that the military will have to address... I'm thinking Satellite tech???

3000mhz minimum battery, and will feature actual stereo speakers (on the back in landscape mode)
    While I agree that there will probably be more phones offered with giant 3000mah + batteries, they will be few and far between by early next year. The fact is that battery tech and size is not making this big of improvement right now. The original Evo had a 1500 mah battery at the time of its release, which was one of the biggest in a smartphone. The latest one will have a 2000 mah battery 2 years after the original's release. Yes batteries are getting bigger in Cell phones, but they will not be at that range by next year. Yes, I am aware that the Droid Razr Maxx currently have a battery bigger than this size, but that is more of an exception than the rule.

Stereo Speakers? Nope. Mobile devices are meant to be personal (read ear buds) not personal boom boxes. I can see this coming to tablets, but not phones. Besides, there isn't much demand for this. I could be wrong.

I honestly do not care about the thinness, but hopefully around the same thickness as a Droid Charge.
    Then you are in the minority my friend. The market has spoken on this issue and the verdict is THIN IS IN... Ask Apple and Samsung. HTC is just now getting the message, shortly after Motorola received it loud and clear. This is the direction that future smartphones are headed.

The camera won't have more than 10mp, but will be better engineered to not suck ***.
    Agreed, but check out this new phone Nokia just released: Nokia announces 808 PureView: Symbian Belle, 4-inch display, 41-megapixel camera! (hands-on video) -- Engadget

It has a friggin 40 mp camera!!!!! Could it be a game changer? I doubt it, but this is where we are headed.

Thank you for all you do for our country! Home home safe!

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Casen,

Thank You for your service...hope that you and all of our guys and gals come home safe!
    EVO 4G ----->SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE next phone...dont even care!

ROM
    ICS Leak .238

Thank you very much for your, and all the military personnel, service to us and our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Casen View Post

Ie: I'm feeling I will be able to get a phone with a 4.8 inch 720p screen, quad core, 1.5gb ram. It will have 64gb internal memory (because as nice as the cloud is, it does NOT work in all the places the military works.)
    It will have a sd card slot, 3000mhz minimum battery, and will feature actual stereo speakers (on the back in landscape mode)

A small Bezel on top and bottom, (for holding) and a minimal Bezel on the sides. The camera won't have more than 10mp, but will be better engineered to not suck ***. The FFC will be 5mp.
    Soft keys only on the screen, and there WILL be an actual camera button with 2 stages.
    Bootloader will be un encrypted (because that's the problem).
    Also, will be a Verizon device.

If you are deploying to Afghanistan don't worry about 2013, worry about the phone you will use in Afghanistan if you are allowed to have one.

I switched from android to windows phone while I was there and didn't regret it, mostly because of battery life. There is fairly widespread GPRS and EDGE coverage (via Roshan and a few other carriers) and it is several orders of magnitude cheaper to call home and text via a local sim than using your US carrier's roaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ROM
    Stock

OPSEC! You would be surprised at what can be pieced together from just your post that you are deploying in a month. Think of your fellow soldiers and don't publicly disclose anything like this. Not everyone that trolls the Internet is here to help. You are just a piece of the puzzle that someone can put together.

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Casen, thanks for serving. Good luck over there. I just got back from Afghan 4 weeks ago myself. Just keep this website bookmarked like I did, lol. I came home to a Galaxy Nexus. Let me know if you need anything while you are gone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I would like to thank every one who wished me luck, and those who went before me.

I know i am kinda aiming short on most of my phone wishes, but i am looking at what could be a real device in my hands around the January timeframe. And some of the wishes (stereo speakers, and removable storage) are personal preference.

But for serious, i do want a dedicated 2 stage camera button.

Sent from Eclipse 2.0 Droid Charge on Tapatalk.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Awesome, as I open up Pulse, and start reading through my tech news and such, I see my own thread. Thanks for the support!
    But, I still want to hear what ya'll think a realistic outlook is on a phone at the beginning of the new year.

Sent from Eclipse 2.0 Droid Charge on Tapatalk.
    Super Geek

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

Well, whatever is on the market at that time, you earned it! Thank you for your service, soldier.