Google planning Android 5.0 Nexus Devices

descendency

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll be ditching my GN if a/the next Nexus has a microSD card slot with pentaband radio support, 720p display (whatever the best tech on the market is - no pentile crap), a reasonably powerful SoC with plenty of RAM, a large and removable battery, a half decent looking shell, "Pure Google", unlocked bootloader, and at least 16gb internal storage. Screw thin.

(just posting this in case HTC/Samsung/Google/etc are reading this.)

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea of multiple Nexus devices, but I'm wondering how this would work. Google has issues keeping the few Nexus devices they have now on the same update path, so how can we trust Google to get updates out timely to multiple Nexus devices with various configurations to different regions. I'm just concerned that it's only going to be a half-ass solution. Right now there's two complaints most of us have for Android devices today: slow updates, and skins. We'll have stock Android, but might still not be guaranteed timely updates.

The Nexus's that google has trouble updating are almost all CDMA (or otherwise carrier controlled). That won't be a problem here. I hope everything with a nexus brand on the play store is buildable from source.

Is it bad that the part of the title that drew me into this thread is the "Android 5.0" part?
I honestly don't see Google giving Jelly Bean the 5.0 designation. Android only receives a higher first number when it is revamped in multiple ways, I don't see very much that Jelly Bean could really update.

Notice how devices being released sith ICS all market that they have "Android 4.0" but thereis no ".x" at the end to note that it's the start of ICS? If they suddenly bump Android up to 5.0 people, especially the average consumer that usually just thinks the first number is really important is gonna see that; 1) A brand new 4.0(.x) device they just bought wasa waste of their money because it's not up to date, and 2) Android must be unstable if it updates so much.

I don't see Google making Android or it's OS devices seen too rapid (OEMs do that enough), so I see Jelly Bean as being "Android 4.1(.x)." Probably not the right thread to post this, but the "5.0" drew me in.:p

While I agree it probably won't be 5.0, I don't think any of your reasons make sense. Was the average consumer raging that they run 2.3 phones when there was 4.0? Heck, a lot of phones still sold don't run 4.0.

It probably won't be 5.0 because I doubt that Jellybean will be a huge jump after the huge jump that was ICS. Nothing to do with consumer need to be close to up to date. I'd argue that sadly, most consumers don't care about being up to date. Maybe if they did, we'd get some better stock updates.

rmkilc

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a neat idea, and I would prefer this way, BUT if Google is selling these directly to the consumer, carriers need to sell plans for cheaper when they do not subsidize a phone. Otherwise, I'm gonna be taking that hugely discounted phone upgrade, and then sell it all while using my nexus from Google ;)

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk 2

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Imagine...

Droid Nexus ?
a Xperia Nexus :D
or a Desire Nexus lol (One Nexus vs Nexus One would be silly ;))

If LG is in the game i guess it will be Optimus Nexus !!

For the nexus tablet, i don't care that much, im still on the ultrabook side

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
if the rumor about multiple vendor Nexus devices.... goodbye Samsuck... hopefully HTC, Moto, and Sony make something... i'd take any of those over Scamscum

TheBaobab

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I hope these stories turn out to be true, to have more pure Android choices would be amazing! Truthfully, and please don't think I'm weird for saying this, I'd be most excited for an LG Nexus. They've been very good to me in the past and I think (or at least hope) they'd make a solid, if not super-bleeding edge offering.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope there are more CDMA Nexus devices in the Nexus line.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I hope that is the case to but after the galaxy nexus I don't see verizon picking up another nexus. Hopefully google can strike some deal to sell them through the play store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol