Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kajdna
  • 1 Post By jerryjerryjerry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question GS3: Hold Out for Galaxy Note 2??

I was all set to buy GS3 on Verizon. I was just watching the forums for possible problems . . .

Then along came Samsung Galaxy Note II on the horizon. The SGN was my favorite previous to GS3.

I am in China. I just put my hands on a live Galaxy Note and a dead GS3. Given my low vision, the Note is a no-brainer. The new Note will have a larger screen: 5.3 to 5.5.

The bottom line: If the Note 2 has comparable specs to GS3, then it's Note 2 for me. The only rumor that seems most true is that it will have JB. That's critical. But we don't know anything about the hardware. If the cpu is a quad-core, that might not be true for U.S. models . . . We don't have any rumored specs on RAM or internal storage, sd storage, etc.

Anybody like me thinking about holding out for the Galaxy Note II?
    REALStunna likes this.

Default Re: GS3: Hold Out for Galaxy Note 2??

Definitely awaiting Note 2---both my husband and me.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Im sure the Note 2 will be comparable to the GS3 spec-wise, minus the screen size of course. It will probably have 1.5ghz, quad-core for those outside of the US, dual core for the US, 2GB of RAM, and at least a 2500mah battery, battery may be slightly larger to accomodate for the slightly larger 5.5 inch screen. It may come in 3 different flavors, 16, 32, 64 like the GS3, and have expandable storage. As far as it having Jellybean, for those of us in the US, we may have to wait until it gets the carrier's blessing. For those outside of the US, there is a good chance that it may ship with it. Sounds like it's going to be a great phone. But, I'm more than satisfied with my GS3. The screen size is perfect for me, and it's not too unwieldy to use either

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

If you want the bigger screen wait. There going to be very similar devices minus the s pen functionality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OMG.. your in the exact same boat as me.. except I already took the plunge and got the GS3 only because I heard about the Note 2 AFTER buying the GS3... sighhh... I mean, I have no complaints against this one and I love it but I REALLLLY want to get the Note. I love the screen size and I think the original Note was beautiful ( I just couldn't get it cuz I have Verizon and not willing to switch over to the evil money grubbing ATT) I would wait if I were you.

5.5" inches that's all?

Might as well get an iPhone.

I need a phone with at least a 6.5" screen?

How long do you guys think it will take Samsung to go up to 6.5"?
    hummingbirdhill likes this.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kajdna View Post

I was all set to buy GS3 on Verizon. I was just watching the forums for possible problems . . .

Then along came Samsung Galaxy Note II on the horizon. The SGN was my favorite previous to GS3.

I am in China. I just put my hands on a live Galaxy Note and a dead GS3. Given my low vision, the Note is a no-brainer. The new Note will have a larger screen: 5.3 to 5.5.

The bottom line: If the Note 2 has comparable specs to GS3, then it's Note 2 for me. The only rumor that seems most true is that it will have JB. That's critical. But we don't know anything about the hardware. If the cpu is a quad-core, that might not be true for U.S. models . . . We don't have any rumored specs on RAM or internal storage, sd storage, etc.

Anybody like me thinking about holding out for the Galaxy Note II?
    My real wish list would be a Galaxy Note 2 1280 x 800, 5.5 in screen, running MS WP8 with expanded interconnectivity and function with MS Office and local syncing to my laptop so I wouldn't need the Clouds.

Since that won't happen, the Note 2 running the latest Android needs to keep that 1280 x 800 aspect ratio. I held a GS3 in my hands for quite a long time when my wife was on the Tkts Line in Time Sq and I wasn't impressed with the screen at all. After I saw the Note, a few weeks early, I decided the GS3 wasn't for me. The speed on the inside might be great but to me the screen quality is vital.

I love my GS3! Just got it. The screen is pretty big - any bigger I don't know if it would fit in my pants. One of my buddy's got the note, and it's got a really nice and BIG screen. Great for watching movies, youtubes, ect. Personally, it's too big for my liking. It just comes down to what you want and how you're going to use it. I'm pretty sure the specs are basically the same - and from what I've read they'll both have Jelly Bean, so either way it's a good move. Hope that helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS3: Hold Out for Galaxy Note 2??-img_0100.jpg  

~ nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by dlcpa View Post
    My real wish list would be a Galaxy Note 2 1280 x 800, 5.5 in screen, running MS WP8 with expanded interconnectivity and function with MS Office and local syncing to my laptop so I wouldn't need the Clouds . . . to me the screen quality is vital.
    Ya, I surely do miss WinMobile with local client syncing! But the large screen is essential to me also---and I excitedly await the Note 2. SIGH
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

I also have low vision, and I love the screen magnifier on the iPhones (I am not sure if I am allowed to say that here). If you tap on the screen with 3 fingers it zooms the whole screen.

I have been using my Droid X for the past two years and it is beyond time for an upgrade. I really like the Galaxy devices, the Note II especially, but unless Android has a better accessibility option I will have to go with the iPhone 5. Have there been any updates in the newer Android versions or 3rd party apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alkitchen View Post
    I also have low vision....... I really like the Galaxy devices, the Note II especially, but unless Android has a better accessibility option I will have to go with the iPhone 5. Have there been any updates in the newer Android versions or 3rd party apps?
    Yo, my Note II has 5(!!) options for font sizes! I use NORMAL right now but I feel secure to having LARGE & EXTRA LARGE (huuuuge) available as my vision decreases with age and possibly glaucoma.

I also dictate text messages and some emails with the stock voice-to-text feature.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Oh, so it sounds like it isn't any better than it was 2 years ago. That's too bad becasue I really like what Galaxy is offering, but in this case Apple is way ahead of Android.

I'm uncertain as to what you are saying isn't any better about android because the new jelly bean os is hugely better in so many ways than any previous android os! Since I've never used apple products (but I love to eat apples!), I don't know anything but what I HEAR about iphones . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Yeah, I dont think that I am explaining it very well. I have played with font sizes and tried different apps that either alter or have larger font sizes on my Droid, but that doesnt quite cut it for as bad as my vision is. I guess I will have to keep researching the advances in jelly bean. The older version of Android did have a zoom box in the accessibility option, but it very rough to use. Then when I saw that IOS has a full screen zoom, I became quite jealous. I REALLY hope Google or a 3rd party programmer has figured it out because I REALLY like the look of the Note 2.

I love my Note II and my husband loves his. I set both to notify us by voice each time we have a new text message or email or a missed phone call. And whenever I "wake" mine, a voice announces the time as well as any type of messages. The generous display permits me to see so much more than my HTC Inspire did! Of course, other accessibility features are available that I don't yet need.

(As for my vision, a doc diagnosed glaucoma because my sight was decreasing so fast. Two years later, a different doc questioned the glaucoma diagnosis and then lasered membranes from both my eyes which incredibly increased my vision so that I can read normally for now at least. So, I was quite aware of decreased vision effects for two years. My dad went completely blind from glaucoma.)
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2