New Tablets for Christmas 2012

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting my kids and I a tablet for Christmas this year. What are the hot new tablets rumored to be out for Christmas 2012? The Nexus 7 looks nice and sounds nice, but I'm concerned about the lack of SD card, and there's bound to be more new tablets out by then. What are the options looking like for this holiday season?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I love my tf300, but you might want a 7 inch for kids. I have not looked too much into the smaller tablets, but the nexus 7 looks awesome. I think amazon might come out with a new fire as well. If you want 10 inch and don't mind spending a little more than the Asus tf300 is your guy

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

phonegeek

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I too am looking for a new tablet. I bought a TF300 a month or so back but it's only an interim device for me as I'll sell it as soon as someone comes out with a newer device that has a lot of memory, as well as LTE capable.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
7 inch tablet is the best for Kids... SD card is not a problem for a kids tablet.
so i recommend getting Nexus 7 for your kids and Asus transformer infinity or Samsung tab2 for yourself.

harhis23

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
You can add Amazon's New Kindle Fire 2 Tablet on to your list. It is more likely become available some time before Christmas 2012. You can get a fantastic array of tablet features for a cost below $200.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't choose a higher priced tablet for my children. We gave my 11 year old daughter so kindle fire this past Christmas, and it lasted 3 months. She broke the charging port on the thing from the motherboard. I'm still not sure how she managed to break the charger port from the board inside the case. At any rate, filed with warranty and got replacement. At first, for a couple of weeks after Christmas, we tried my daughter with a new Acer laptop and that definitely wasn't going to work. So she got the kindle instead, but as I said, she broke it.
Look for something that isn't so costly to get fixed, or that can be easily replaced. Kids are tough on electronics. My two sons have their own PSP. One of them has already broke his and we used the gamestop warranty, the other broke his charger and now they have to use one charger for both PSP systems. Again kids are tough on electronics.

Swype'd with my Sammy Galaxy S3

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Buy the nexus 7 from Walmart and get the insurance for it they will replace it no matter what happens to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Xynar

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am also looking for a 7 inch tablet. I do require an SD slot (or a full USB) because it will not have internet access for the majority of uses, like road trips, dead cell areas, or even massivly saturated areas (large conventions). That is actually the only thing holding me back from the Nexus 7. I was recently at a convention where at the hotel we couldn't even load a simple YouTube video without a long wait. Any suggestions? The Acrer A110 looks like a winner but I would like to know about more options.

BusyManNVA

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends upon the age of the children and what they will be using it for. I bought two 7 in hers for my teens at the beginning of the summer. One is the Arnova 7 G3, one is the Cosby Kyros 7042. Both came with ICS pre loaded and cost just over $100. However, once my teens started using them, I realized that these products aren't powerful enough for teens. The screen on the Kyros is kinda grainy and the Arnova doesn't have physical volume buttons. I have since gotten them new 4.5 phones with ICS and 1.5 Ghz processors and they actully use the phones more than the tablets. I wouldn't recommend these lower end 7 inch tablets for any child past elementary school. For teens, check out the Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 2, Lenovo's 7 in her, or Acer's 7 inch. They are slightly pricier, and it has its pros and cons, so it comes down to personal preference.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting my kids and I a tablet for Christmas this year. What are the hot new tablets rumored to be out for Christmas 2012? The Nexus 7 looks nice and sounds nice, but I'm concerned about the lack of SD card, and there's bound to be more new tablets out by then. What are the options looking like for this holiday season?

Since you didn't include the ages, and I'd suggest the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Tab 2 (another 7").

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE