Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the 2012 Google Nexus phone(s) out-spec the Galaxy S3?

I know the focus of the Nexus brand is more Android software than cutting edge hardware. Any chance this changes later this year and the Nexus phone/phones come with better hardware specs than the GS3?

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    bugless beast

If the rumors are true there will be multiple nexus devices this year. I hope it is because I'm not a Samsung fan and really want to see a Motorola version. I think the Samsung version will probably beright on par with the sgs III. I don't think they would develop a better for phone than their own flagship device. Last year a lot people like the sgs II design over the galaxy nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    quikric and StefanYFC like this.

ROM
    Viper

I sure hope so lol.

It will be incrementally better just like the s3 is incrementally better than the phones from last winter

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Default Re: Will the 2012 Google Nexus phone(s) out-spec the Galaxy S3?

i would bet it will have the s4 chip, while others start grabbing s4 pro

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM

I'm not buying the "Multiple Nexus" devices, but I really hope I'm wrong. I think Nexus 2012 will be either HTC or Samsung with an incremental bump over the GNex and probably a Krait processor. I think we're still a year off from a Googorola Nexus, but if today's news is any indication the direction Google is trying to take Motorola, it should be a world-beater. That said, this is all just pure speculation on my part, and Iam by no means an insider.
    Bryan
    Curve 8530 > OG Droid > DInc 2 > OG Storm > Droid Pro > Droid 3 > Droid RAZR > Galaxy SII > Nexus 4

If someone other than Samsung gets the design, yes. We all saw how the Galaxy Nexus debacle turned out. Samsung neutered the hardware because they were more interested in selling their own flagship phone, namely the Galaxy SII. I fully expect the same to be done again with respect to the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 should Samsung get the Nexus a 3rd time.

I really hope they don't move away from Samsung, at least not to Motorola, whose phones are horrible. Ugly as hell. If they move, better move to Sony.
    It's not impossible for the new Nexus to have a better spec, or at least in some areas.
    Last year, Nexus got the biggest and highest resolution screen Samsung had ever had, better than the then flag ship S2.
    Best case for me is they stay with Samsung and start with the $350 price right away.
    mitchstehlin likes this.

ROM
    Droid X2 - CM7

Quote Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post
    I really hope they don't move away from Samsung, at least not to Motorola, whose phones are horrible. Ugly as hell. If they move, better move to Sony.
    It's not impossible for the new Nexus to have a better spec, or at least in some areas.
    Last year, Nexus got the biggest and highest resolution screen Samsung had ever had, better than the then flag ship S2.
    Best case for me is they stay with Samsung and start with the $350 price right away.
    Before Google bought Motorola, and even up through the past few weeks with Google saying they'll let Motorola run independently, I would've agreed with you. With the news today that they are laying off 20% of Motorola staff to focus on fewer, but better phones, I actually might give Motorola another chance.
    D5S likes this.

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm just hoping for it to appear on Verizon.

I'd like to see Motorola Nexus Maxx! We need bigger batteries. Hoping for same specs as Nexus 7 along with the cheap off contract price.
    Google+ Devices: HTC Mogul, Touch, TP, TP2, Samsung Moment & Intercept, Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V & Slider, Nook, Iconia Tab, HTC Sensation
    xyzlene likes this.

I think the point of the Nexus line so far is two-fold: to show case the latest technology (which may or may not include the fastest processors or GPUs) and to provide the latest revision of Android.

Google may change tactics and go for high-end phones, but I think that they'll keep these ideas somewhere in the DNA of Nexus devices.

I'd prefer it be made by HTC. I am thinking there will be one phone. It was rumored that there would be 5 nexus DEVICES, not phones.

1. Phone
    2. 7" tablet
    3. 10" tablet
    4. Some nexus google TV?
    5. Nexus Q (discontinued)

That is my thought anyway.

Nexus devices never top in specs that always. Plus no device in 2012 will be better than the current Samsung Galaxy S3. Software wise the Galaxy S3 is the BEST SMARTPHONE ON THE MARKET PERIOD. Not even the Nexus experience is better than the Galaxy S3.
    Thanked by:
    21plays likes this.

After owning this Nexus 7, I want nothing more than Asus to build the next Nexus with an S4 onboard.
    xyzlene likes this.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrid View Post
    If someone other than Samsung gets the design, yes. We all saw how the Galaxy Nexus debacle turned out. Samsung neutered the hardware because they were more interested in selling their own flagship phone, namely the Galaxy SII. I fully expect the same to be done again with respect to the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 should Samsung get the Nexus a 3rd time.
    I have to disagree. The Nexus line has never been about cutting-edge hardware. It's always 'higher' end, but the point of the device is to provide a stable base for devs to program off of. The Nexus line never "pushes the limits" of what is available spec wise - it's just not what it's there for. It will probably be a slight increase from the SIII, but nothing major.
    EggoEspada, MERCDROID and D5S like this.

I would personally like to see an Asus phone with the Nexus brand name as the high end choice if they are doing multiple devices (like The 7 and Asus PadFone had a baby).
    Have Jellybean, an S4, maybe a 15mp camera (or around there) and 2mp front camera, a 5" full 1080p HD screen, removable 2500mah battery, 32gb internal with a micro slot, 4g lte, 2gb RAM (just for s and giggles).

Just my wishlist but I doubt we'll see anything like it. Probably a lot lower-spec'd then this.

I'd trade in my EVO 4G LTE for that though...

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrid View Post
    I always see people say this but really, what evidence is there that Samsung watered down the Nexus? It just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

The Galaxy Nexus was released using Samsung's best screen technology, and one of their most ergonomic and interesting designs to date. The hardware was completely in line with everything else released at the time.

What phone had hardware that was somehow substantially better then the Galaxy Nexus when it was released? There weren't any.

There are two things the Galaxy SII's hardware did "better" then the Nexus: One of them was the Exynos GPU performed a bit better then the OMAP, but remember Google picks the chips, not Samsung and they wanted OMAP and the chip is more than comparable. The other thing the Galaxy SII had on the Nexus was arguably the camera but do you really think Samsung gimp'd a camera to sale Galaxy SII's? I'm more inclined to believe it has to do with them getting 0 shutter lag at that point. And yes we now are getting phones with 0 shutter lag and better cameras but those were released months after the Galaxy Nexus.

If the Galaxy Nexus is released November-ish there is every reason to believe it will slightly outspec the Galaxy S3 and have hardware more than comparable to everything else on the market. Whether it is made by Samsung, LG, Motorola, or HTC.

tl;dr It's paranoid to think the Nexus was gimp'd just to sale the SII. Yes, it will have hardware at least slightly better, but most importantly will be in line with all the other high end phones released at the time of it's release.
    Thanked by 5:
    bacalao, jmorse, geh1 and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardyarrell View Post
    Nexus devices never top in specs that always.
    The Nexus One was bleeding edge. First phone to ship with a 1GHz processor.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Just dont forget to make it a CDMA - world phone
    bacalao, AZDROIDX and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by gear.h34d.2012 View Post
    After owning this Nexus 7, I want nothing more than Asus to build the next Nexus with an S4 onboard.
    An Asus Nexus PadFone/Tablet? uhh yes please.
    MERCDROID likes this.

I think it depends on who will be making it.

If Samsung are chosen again, I think it would have comparable specs to the S3. I don't see Samsung wanting to make a phone that is better than their flagship S3 and potentially cannibalise their sales.

As gear.h34d.2012 said, owning the Nexus 7, I'd be more than happy for the Nexus 2012 phone to be made by Asus.

Which brings me to another point: Could the new Nexus phone be a budget 'superphone', kind of how the Nexus 7 is a budget, yet high-end tablet? While I (and I'm sure most people) would want the Nexus 2012 to have kickass specs like an A15 SoC, gigs of ram, huge battery etc, I kind of feel like Google might attempt to make the next Nexus phone a high end, phone but at a cheap retail price.

What I'd like to know is if Android 4.2 will be released with the new Nexus. Jellybean is great, and it's a given it'll come with that, but another version of Android would be great.

I'm not sure if the next Nexus will have better specs than the GS3 or not. I don't think that Samsung intentionally gimped the galaxy nexus last year (with the 5MP camera, no micro SD, etc.). I believe that Google has the final say on what hardware goes into the Nexus products. It's quite possible that they had a lesser camera and no SD to save costs. Remember, they sell the Nexus devices unlocked and want to make it a bit more affordable.

It is more about the dev side for Nexus but I'm hoping that with the success of the N7 and its sales, that Google realizes that people are willing to pay for a good product with decent specs and pure Android. I really hope HTC will make another one as they could use a boost with their falling profits as of late. A 4.7"-5.0" aluminum bodied HTC with 720P screen (the One X screen is very nice), microSD slot (or at least 32GB internal), pure android, large capacity battery, quad S4 w/adreno 320, & 10-12MP camera. I guarantee that me and a lot of other people would jump on that. I'm excited just thinking about it.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I honestly think the next Nexus will be made by either HTC or Sammy. A Motorola Nexus would be great, but Google is trying to tread softly and not seem like it is playing favorites. I believe Sammy would get it because of how successful they have been with Android. But, I think HTC should be given a chance to climb out of the ashes. If HTC played their cards right, an HTC Nexus could be a hit, for developers and the mainstream alike. Whoever makes it, I think the specs wll be:

4.8 to 5 inch 720p Flexible Amoled screen- For some reason, I believe that it would have to have a screen size bigger than the GNex.

Dual Core 1.5 GHZ S4 Processor

1.5 to 2 gigs of RAM

Around 2500 mah Removable Battery

32 or 64gb of non-expandable storage

Include 20gb of free Google Drive Storage

Not really a wishlist, just trying to be realistic

Global Posts
    464 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dd0yl3 View Post
    I don't think they would develop a better for phone than their own flagship device.
    They've been doing it in the tablet sector for a while. The screens on the iPad 3 are better than anything Sammy has on their own devices. That's likely going to change with the Note 2, but up to this point, the better tech went to Apple products.

Talking Re: Will the 2012 Google Nexus phone(s) out-spec the Galaxy S3?

Quote Originally Posted by jian9007 View Post
    I'm not sure if the next Nexus will have better specs than the GS3 or not. I don't think that Samsung intentionally gimped the galaxy nexus last year (with the 5MP camera, no micro SD, etc.). I believe that Google has the final say on what hardware goes into the Nexus products. It's quite possible that they had a lesser camera and no SD to save costs. Remember, they sell the Nexus devices unlocked and want to make it a bit more affordable.

It is more about the dev side for Nexus but I'm hoping that with the success of the N7 and its sales, that Google realizes that people are willing to pay for a good product with decent specs and pure Android. I really hope HTC will make another one as they could use a boost with their falling profits as of late. A 4.7"-5.0" aluminum bodied HTC with 720P screen (the One X screen is very nice), microSD slot (or at least 32GB internal), pure android, large capacity battery, quad S4 w/adreno 320, & 10-12MP camera. I guarantee that me and a lot of other people would jump on that. I'm excited just thinking about it.
    That alunium body,just pushed me rite over the edge.jian9007,can you give me an ideal price this phone may cost,I want to start saving my money
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast