Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EggotheKilljoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default 5 Nexus Smart Phones are born. Well then what's next?

    WARNING THIS POST IS JUST HYPOTHETICAL TO STIR A HEALTHY DEBATE. THIS POST IS FOCUS ON THE HYPOTHETICAL BEING TRUE. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DEBATING THE POSIBBILITY OF HYPOTHETICAL BEING FEASIBLE.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/multip...ndroid-forever
    This AC article on the multiple nexus devices is very good article. I am sure many have read but in short article gives you the impact of launch of multiple nexus devices would have on Android as a whole. I want to dive into some points that haven't been discussed or debated about. Hypothically let say this rumor about nexuses are true then let's say five manufactures are Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, Sony and LG. Lastly in this hypothetical that all these major companies making nexus smartphones with Google to be released by the end of year. In addition these fives nexus would make their way to the four major mobile carriers. ( VZW,TM,SP,ATT) Now here comes the questions.

    Hypothetical Question 1.
    What media outlet will Google choose to announce these devices together and when?

    Hypothetical Question 2.

    If these five nexus smart phones are sold as unlocked gsm versions how will they split these devices among the gsm carriers?

    Hypothetical Question 3.

    If they make CDMA versions of nexus smart phones will all five come in CDMA versions?

    Hypothetical Question 4.

    Ultimate how would Google make getting five nexus smart phones gsm or cdma equal across the four major mobile carriers Sprint,Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T?

    My thoughts.

    All nexus devices have been announced is various outlets. The first was Nexus One announced on web and pre-play store. The Nexus S was demoed by Eric Schmidt at Web Summit 2.0 then it was officially announced on Google's Blog. Samsung and Google announced Galaxy Nexus at the Samsung Unpacked. Finally the Nexus 7 and Nexus Q at Google I/O. Back to question one which looks like they will either come up with event or make announcement through their blog or play store. I think major focus of announcement on these five devices would be the Play Store. That being said I don't count out the fact there may be a press event or blog announcement.

    On the mobile carrier side of this hypothetical leaves hard press answer that some carriers will be missing out on devices and as well leaves the possibility not all the carriers will have CDMA version or a non unlocked gsm verison. In a crazy world each mobile carrier would have all five nexuses giving us choice 25 choices of unlocked, gsm and cdma choices. What I think is possible in this hypothetical is we will have five gsm nexus smart phones sold on play store then have few out five on different carriers. How Google/Mobiles Carriers determine the fate of the five nexus goes beyond my comprehension even though this just a hypothetical.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  2. #2  

    Default

    I highly doubt that Google wouldn't have a press event for the release of 5 new phones, if that's actually the correct number. Even if Google was only announcing a two, I would expect them to have an announcement event. Announcement events for big phones are an industry standard now.

    For multiple carriers, they could do an event similar to what happened with the original Galaxy S, which was announced in all its different versions at once with all the carriers in the same room.

    I agree that Google would probably sell all of them unlocked on the play store, and that only a few would come to the CDMA carriers.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    I highly doubt that Google wouldn't have a press event for the release of 5 new phones, if that's actually the correct number. Even if Google was only announcing a two, I would expect them to have an announcement event. Announcement events for big phones :-) are an industry standard now.
    I didn't think of like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    For multiple carriers, they could do an event similar to what happened with the original Galaxy S, which was announced in all its different versions at once with all the carriers in the same room.
    You are probably right.
    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    I agree that Google would probably sell all of them unlocked on the play store, and that only a few would come to the CDMA carriers.
    I have also thought about wouldn't carrier versions be LTE as that is what major 4 carriers are pushing. Each carrier Nexus would be locked to that carrier because 4 major carriers block each other from using each others LTE. This leave very possibility the same nexus device would be on another carrier leaving different nexus smartphone on each carrier.

    The idea having a different nexus on each carrier is actually best way split up five nexus devices. You just leave out the least appealing manufacture to make nexus not to be put on a carrier. Unfortunately, that my not bow well with that particular manufacture but at least they have gain the perks for working with Google and being sold on the Play Store.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  4. #4  
    Slayers's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

    Default Re: 5 Nexus Smart Phones are born. Well then what's next?

    I really hope its not split up I would rather buy the phone direct from Google then have to buy it from Verizon and wait for them to do updates.

    I do hope that the next Nexus is more like the note I think the tablet/phone hybrid is the way to go for the future for people that use the phone for working
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slayers View Post
    I really hope its not split up I would rather buy the phone direct from Google then have to buy it from Verizon and wait for them to do updates.

    I do hope that the next Nexus is more like the note I think the tablet/phone hybrid is the way to go for the future for people that use the phone for working
    Google Play= Unlocked GSM HSPA
    Mobile Carrier= Locked GSM/CDMA LTE

    That's just how I see it for this year.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  6. #6  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: 5 Nexus Smart Phones are born. Well then what's next?

    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Google Play= Unlocked GSM HSPA
    Mobile Carrier= Locked GSM/CDMA LTE

    That's just how I see it for this year.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I am with you on that score. I also do not see it being bigger than 4.8

    Verizon will go with either sammy or moto
    ATT will get the loser of those above
    sprint with HTC
    tmo with sony
  7. #7  

    Default

    I believe that we wont see a new nexus phone until next year, it will debut key lime pie. The gnex is starting to show it's age but I think this winter we will see the next one. Its stupid to think they would release 5 nexus phones because what android needs right now is strong flagship devices that will be available across all carriers. Just look at how successful the s3 has been compared to the one x. They are similarly speced out but the s3 is on all carriers and had great advertising.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 5 Nexus Smart Phones are born. Well then what's next?

    5 Nexus phones at once sounds kinda crazy, but I'd love that so much. Hopefully one of them will have a physical keyboard!!
  9. #9  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: 5 Nexus Smart Phones are born. Well then what's next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTechHead View Post
    I believe that we wont see a new nexus phone until next year, it will debut key lime pie. The gnex is starting to show it's age but I think this winter we will see the next one. Its stupid to think they would release 5 nexus phones because what android needs right now is strong flagship devices that will be available across all carriers. Just look at how successful the s3 has been compared to the one x. They are similarly speced out but the s3 is on all carriers and had great advertising.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
    You would be right in most of your train of thought, BUT wrong that it will not be this year.

    They should announce a new nexus with the new OS, but they arent there yet. They want a new nexus with a new iCrud. Not sure of the reasoning with this, but that is how it is.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTechHead View Post
    I believe that we wont see a new nexus phone until next year, it will debut key lime pie. The gnex is starting to show it's age but I think this winter we will see the next one.
    Can you clarify what you mean by we won't get new nexus until next year but " I think this winter will get the next one"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTechHead View Post
    Its stupid to think they would release 5 nexus phones because what android needs right now is strong flagship devices that will be available across all carriers. Just look at how successful the s3 has been compared to the one x. They are similarly speced out but the s3 is on all carriers and had great advertising.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
    Actually I thought about this in past but the idea of five nexus just sound better to me. However a flagship minded nexus to be on all carriers would be step in right direction. I still would like to see on future have all five major manufacture amake nexus smartphone to be released at end of the year every year then move on to tablets as well. This might see like this will dilute Nexus Line but I don't believe so. Having army devices sharing same insignia would bring great appeal to Google and number of device would make Nexus line for competiton to take serious notice and get the masses attention. Those again flagship nexus on all carriers would be nice to see.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  11. #11  

    Default

    I didn't correctly claify there, I don't think we will see one until the end of this yeat or the beginning of next, jelly bean is just hitting the flagship phones and high-end q3 devices releasing soon. OEMs need time to catch up.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
  12. #12  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default

    Do the Nexus 7 and Nexus Q count?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. #13  

    Default

    Yeah, I didn't really clarify there, I meant end of q4 to beginning of q1. The ecosystem needs time to adjust to jellybean and even ics hasn't really hit the low end yet. OEMs are slowly getting there, but they seem to be killing themselves with tons of different phones on many carriers, they need time. Also, on the five device or multi device yearly thing, google would essentially be competing with its own OEMs rather than using the nexus line to show them how to create a lasting device and allow users acsess to stock android.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTechHead View Post
    Yeah, I didn't really clarify there, I meant end of q4 to beginning of q1. The ecosystem needs time to adjust to jellybean and even ics hasn't really hit the low end yet. OEMs are slowly getting there, but they seem to be killing themselves with tons of different phones on many carriers, they need time. Also, on the five device or multi device yearly thing, google would essentially be competing with its own OEMs rather than using the nexus line to show them how to create a lasting device and allow users acsess to stock android.

    Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock and not yet rooted.
    Yes, they would be competing with there oem which imo competition brings innovation. The competition will also force the oem/carriers to push updates faster on devices rather than stalling and making excuses. I hope they not concern with there OEMs catching up since the developed PDK for them. Google needs to move on because the OEM and Carriers are moving at there own pace leaving consumers with out dated software with latest and greatest hardware. Example a lot devices announced at IFA only a few had JB. I think that is kind of ridiculous but it's the norm now with oem/carriers which I can't stand. Last thought in competing oem's android OS is so different now compared to vanilla android that the masses would just see the Nexus line as another option which would be fair and heathly competition IMO.

    One last thing there so many needless and recycled android phones out there I think an army of Nexus devices would force the oems to go for quality instead of quatiy. Then again when I think about your flagship nexus idea could do the same without stepping on oem's toes.


    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  15. #15  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default

    A flagship nexus is a great Idea but they seem to want to use hardware that is good, but not too good. The gnex was a bit behind in that department and the next one will be slightly off from the sgs3. Googs needs to **** or get off the pot. Do a flagship device, but do it right. Quad core. Two gigs ram. Sdcard. Battery in the 2500 range. Best display available. No buttons.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default

    Wasn't the rumor just 5 Nexus devices, not necessarily smartphones? We've already seen the Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q. That leaves three left.

    I think that they will release a phablet, a high end phone around 4.65-4.8 inches, and a mid ranged phone with a 4-4.3 inch screen and slightly outdated specs(but not too outdated.) But that's just me. I thought I heard a rumor just recently that the three would be made by Sony, Samsung, and LG. I'll try to find a link real quick to the page with that, and I'll edit this post when I do.

    Edit: found it!

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  17. #17  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,200 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    A flagship nexus is a great Idea but they seem to want to use hardware that is good, but not too good. The gnex was a bit behind in that department and the next one will be slightly off from the sgs3. Googs needs to **** or get off the pot. Do a flagship device, but do it right. Quad core. Two gigs ram. Sdcard. Battery in the 2500 range. Best display available. No buttons.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus seemed to be more about the software, not the hardware.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  18. #18  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default

    You are right about that but if you announce a new version of android, it would make sense to launch the nexus running it at the same time, not 6 months later

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    You are right about that but if you announce a new version of android, it would make sense to launch the nexus running it at the same time, not 6 months later

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Who knows, maybe they'll introduce Android 4.1.2 with the next Nexus devices. Maybe with some small but new change or feature.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EggotheKilljoy View Post
    Wasn't the rumor just 5 Nexus devices, not necessarily smartphones? We've already seen the Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q. That leaves three left.

    I think that they will release a phablet, a high end phone around 4.65-4.8 inches, and a mid ranged phone with a 4-4.3 inch screen and slightly outdated specs(but not too outdated.) But that's just me. I thought I heard a rumor just recently that the three would be made by Sony, Samsung, and LG. I'll try to find a link real quick to the page with that, and I'll edit this post when I do.

    Edit: found it!

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Five or Three
    Devices or Smartphones
    All we have from Google is a candy cane Easter egg to hint something is planned for the holidays. What Google has planned is most likely a Nexus or Nexues.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  21. #21  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EggotheKilljoy View Post
    Who knows, maybe they'll introduce Android 4.1.2 with the next Nexus devices. Maybe with some small but new change or feature.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Maybe, but it will still be jb. They won't go with klp until next June. It would be an awesome surprise if they b cked the trend though. I wouldn't hold my breath

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

B