Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djw39
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Default Motorola/Intel smartphone on Sept 18th?

Anyone hoping for something bad *** with Android inside? I'm hoping it will be a dual core atom. If it's a reference medfield device that would just be a FAIL. Intel has yet to prove they can compete in the mobile arena. If it is single core atom, maybe a better gpu than the standard sgx 540.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Android Central Forums

Same chip as the Win8 tablets? That would be crazy. Imagine hacking Windows 8 onto your phone.

Sent from my Full Android on Crespo4G using Tapatalk 2
    MERCDROID likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    Same chip as the Win8 tablets? That would be crazy. Imagine hacking Windows 8 onto your phone.

Windows RT is supposed to have an ARM chip. Maybe tegra3. The Windows 8 tabs are ivy bridge chips, we'll see how much of a battery drain this will be. Medfield atoms are for smartphones so not the same. At least from what is known currently.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

I think this will be a big deal. And there's no doubt intel can compete in the mobile chip game. They have a learn a bit i would assume. But they make the best chips for computers ( no hate for amd) . Intel is a name a lot of mainstream consumers know. Put that Intel inside sticker on a box or a display at a store what ever that phone it is will fly out the door

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I agree. Intel has the R&D and process tech to get it done. They just need to move faster. I would get Intel inside if Google backs them up. Needs 100% app compatibility since it's been all ARM for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnp888 View Post
    Windows RT is supposed to have an ARM chip. Maybe tegra3. The Windows 8 tabs are ivy bridge chips, we'll see how much of a battery drain this will be. Medfield atoms are for smartphones so not the same. At least from what is known currently.

The dual core version of Medfield already exists, it is called Clover Trail. Since it's x86, it runs the full version of Windows 8, and it is powering many of the devices annouced at IFA.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

The dual core version of Medfield already exists, it is called Clover Trail. Since it's x86, it runs the full version of Windows 8, and it is powering many of the devices annouced at IFA.

I could be wrong but full blown Clover trail is not power efficient enough for phones. That is why medfield for mobile devices uses the penwell SoC with an imageon technologies power vr sgx gpu. Conversely windows 8 will probably not run well unless it's windows phone 8.

Last edited by johnp888; 09-01-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnp888 View Post
    I could be wrong but full blown Clover trail is not power efficient enough for phones. That is why medfield for mobile devices uses the penwell SoC with an imageon technologies power vr sgx gpu. Conversely windows 8 will probably not run well unless it's windows phone 8.

I know nothing about clover trail actually going into phones, I was merely responding to the OP's suggestion of dual core Medfield

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I know nothing about clover trail actually going into phones, I was merely responding to the OP's suggestion of dual core Medfield

No worries. According to Anandtech, dual core atom for smartphones will come in the form of the z2580 SoC. Now if Motorola would just pair that with a decent 720p screen and good battery life they would have a hit on their hands. I would buy one, but only if it has the label Nexus on it :-P Motorola seems to like to lock up their regular android phones....

djw39 you are also correct. Did not realized Intel decided to call z2580 as clover trail, thought it was still medfield with dual core processor.

Last edited by johnp888; 09-02-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Re: Motorola/Intel smartphone on Sept 18th?

So maybe they can compete with speed and other hardware, but how about aesthetics, by far, I can say that the most gorgeous units are those from iPhone and Samsung. If Motorola will be able to produce an equally robust and attractive smartphone, then I might just go for it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Yeah Motorola industrial design is kind of out there. A long time ago when there was rumor of the Nexus 2 by Motorola there was a render of a super thin slider that looked awesome. But it was just a fan render or something. I'm not a fan of the bulging camera housing at the top either. So here's hoping it will be sort of like the razr maxx on the back and sort of nice in the front!

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Default Re: Motorola/Intel smartphone on Sept 18th?

The moto/Intel event is a few days away. Here is what I'm hoping for:
    1.dual core atom
    2.1-2gb ram
    3.huge DROID maxx like battery
    4.at least 42mbps hspa+ pentaband. Most likely lte for Verizon and att. But I don't care since I'm on tmo
    5.Vr sgx543 class gpu
    6.720p screen
    7.microsd since I would like to reuse mine :-P

I'm expecting the worse since you never get what you want. So it might be the standard old medfield platform that debuted with the Orange San Diego and Xolo but for the US. That would be so depressing. Here's hoping Moto and Intel aren't dummies and wait until 2013 for really nice hw. That would be a FAIL on so many levels. There's always the HTC and lg announcements the day after, hehe