Nexus Concept of the Past, Present, and Future

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
google-nexus-logo_thumb.jpg

This collection of sources are on the concepts of the Nexus,Pure Android, and Google Experience. In this collection of sources, I realized my idea of Nexus is not what company has in mine. I often thought the devolopment of a new nexus device meant the development of new Android OS, since history has shown with every new nexus comes a new os. However I have looked for official or reliable sources that hint or even define Nexus,Google Experience or Pure Android with clause, that a new android os is a guaranteed. All I actually found is a definition that nexus devices will get the latest android updates and is stock android with out carrier or manufacture influence on the android software.

The search of meaning of nexus is I could not fathom the speculation of a new nexus smartphone coming out without a new android os. I can now see and understand that if new nexus devices was come out in the near future does not signify the launch of a new os. Even those history has shown that every Nexus has come out new os but still even now the definitions I have found in the sources below have not changed. Still the idea of a Nexus with a new os would be unsettling because what we have been custom from Nexus line in past and currently. Those in future if we get a new nexus device with jelly bean it is still Nexus that gives pure android and Google experience by Google's definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
"The version history of the Android operating system began with the release of the Android beta in November 2007. The first commercial version, Android 1.0, was released in September 2008. Android is a mobile operating syste developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance, and has seen a number of updates to its base operating system since its original release. These updates typically fix bugs and add new features. Since April 2009, each Android version has been developed under a codename based on a dessert or sweet treat. These versions have been released in alphabetical order: Cupcake, Donut, ?clair, Froyo (frozen yogurt), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Jelly Bean. The pre-release versions of Android were dubbed Astro and Bender, but these names could not ultimately be used for trademark reasons.[1] The most recent update to the Android OS was Jelly Bean v4.1, which was announced in June 2012, and was released into the Android Open Source Project on July 9, 2012."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus
"The Nexus is a series of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in cooperation with selected hardware manufacturers. The purpose of the Nexus series is to offer a "pure Android" experience,[1] in which the devices come free of carrier or manufacturer modifications and with an unlockable bootloader[2] to allow for further development and end-user modification.[3] Nexus devices are considered the "flagship" Android devices and are the first to receive updates to the operating system.[4][5][6] The Galaxy Nexus, the latest smartphone in the series (as of 2012), is one of the few phones recommended by the Android Open Source Project for Android software development.[7]"

http://allthingsd.com/20100108/live-from-las-vegas-google-vp-of-engineering-andy-rubin/
"Nexus One is aimed at consumers who love their Google services and live in the 'Google world,'...”

http://blogs.computerworld.com/20088/google_nexus_xoom_ice_cream_sandwich_delays
Google's Nexus and "Google experience" devices, by definition, are meant to get Android upgrades fast -- more or less as soon as the software is released. That's one of the products' key benefits: Since the software is controlled by Google and free from manufacturer meddling, the upgrades are handled directly by Google as well. It's a sharp contrast to the way other phones' upgrades are handled, where the planning and deployment lies squarely in the hands of the manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Great post man. There is alot of great information here for people who might now know what a "nexus" is. When ever i hear someone complain about updates or there device slowing i direct them to a nexus device. My only hope is there more readily available in the feature. Not everyone feel comfortable not buying a phone from a carrier. As well as not having a carrier warranty. But if the nexus line does get expanded hopefully its enough to educate people on what android really is at its core. Not to disrespect sense or touch wiz since that's what android is to the vast majority of the world.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Great post man. There is alot of great information here for people who might now know what a "nexus" is. When ever i hear someone complain about updates or there device slowing i direct them to a nexus device. My only hope is there more readily available in the feature. Not everyone feel comfortable not buying a phone from a carrier. As well as not having a carrier warranty. But if the nexus line does get expanded hopefully its enough to educate people on what android really is at its core. Not to disrespect sense or touch wiz since that's what android is to the vast majority of the world.

I think some where along the line seeing android grow and the competition between smartphones I gain an ideal for Nexus is defined. Only lately questioned the concept of nexus just based on fact I was in so disbelief people would state a new nexus would not have klp. I thought to myself and voiced my opinion on the concept that new nexus brings a new android os which is what I thought was part of the nexus concept. However what I mention above proves my definition is not the same for Google as I believed.

Also I just got tired of myself and others idea of nexus device in general and defining what "nexus" means I thought I research the nexus concept and op is what I found. Google has not change the principle of Nexus, Pure Android, or Google Experience at all but the people have greatly skewed the concept into something else. IMHO

Last edited:

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the basics on the nexus might be changed but its still at its core what Google wants. Its the reference device 1st to have a the new OS. Which in turn makes it the best service to develop on. Those things also make it the most popular phone for mods and ROMs. I think Google understands who there customer base is. And will keep on serving us. I choose to use nexus devices because

1. No carrier b.s.
2. Newest software
3. Rooting and tweaking my phone is short of a hobby. I have always had a passion for tech. Having the newest software makes me happy

And finally I think its the best version on android.

If you don't mind Im thinking of making a video of my YouTube with some of the nexus information. I think it would make a interesting video

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the basics on the nexus might be changed but its still at its core what Google wants. Its the reference device 1st to have a the new OS. Which in turn makes it the best service to develop on. Those things also make it the most popular phone for mods and ROMs. I think Google understands who there customer base is. And will keep on serving us. I choose to use nexus devices because

1. No carrier b.s.
2. Newest software
3. Rooting and tweaking my phone is short of a hobby. I have always had a passion for tech. Having the newest software makes me happy

And finally I think its the best version on android.

If you don't mind Im thinking of making a video of my YouTube with some of the nexus information. I think it would make a interesting video

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I would definitely want to see a vid. I made a thread earlier this year that I would go the Nexus route from now on. I love the Galaxy Nexus. Stock ICS/Jelly Bean is beautiful.

Reactions: DroidDavi

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What does "Nexus", "Google Experience", and"Pure Android" mean?

Definitions

Nexus/Google Experience:
"Google's Nexus and "Google experience" devices, by definition, are meant to get Android upgrades fast -- more or less as soon as the software is released. That's one of the products' key benefits: Since the software is controlled by Google and free from manufacturer meddling, the upgrades are handled directly by Google as well."
http://blogs.computerworld.com/20088/google_nexus_xoom_ice_cream_sandwich_delays

Nexus/Pure Android:
"The Nexus is a series of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in cooperation with selected hardware manufacturers. The purpose of the Nexus series is to offer a "pure Android" experience,[1] in which the devices come free of carrier or manufacturer modifications and with an unlockable bootloader[2] to allow for further development and end-user modification.[3] Nexus devices are considered the "flagship" Android devices and are the first to receive updates to the operating system."

Last edited:

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Im the tyoe of person that gives credit where its due. Its all out there on the internet but you took the time to put it together.

I just cant wait for the new nexus. I am ordering my Nexus 7 next week and want a new nexus to go with it

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Im the tyoe of person that gives credit where its due. Its all out there on the internet but you took the time to put it together.

I just cant wait for the new nexus. I am ordering my Nexus 7 next week and want a new nexus to go with it

I see your point. Oh I am definitely ready for nexus smartphone since I have had my N7. I haven't seen stock android for over a year since I retired my G1. I never dove into the android experience on my G1 and only having sense has my training wheels on my Thunderbolt I learned to appreciated having Stock JB on my N7. I agree that I need a nexus phone to match my N7 and from now on I am all for "Pure Android". I see only nexus devices in my future.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Is there a rule for a Nexus device on the Verizon network? I love that I am still rocking Ice Cream sandwich....should I switch to T Mobile? Very tempted!!!!

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there a rule for a Nexus device on the Verizon network? I love that I am still rocking Ice Cream sandwich....should I switch to T Mobile? Very tempted!!!!

Sprint is supposed to send out the jb update today. I would hope Verizon is soon after. Any gsm carrier is the way to go in my opinion. You could use t mobile at & t or any of there MVNO's. You could always just root and get a JB rom.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the only reason as u can c that I'm not mashing the update button is because I already have a working job ROM thanks to Paul and company lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
IMO the Nexus was the developer edition, used for app developers to test their apps on the the latest version of Android on up-to-date (read not necessarily next-gen) hardware.

Now IMO, Nexus is Google's brand for the definitive Google experience for Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What does "Nexus", "Google Experience", and"Pure Android" mean?

Definitions

Nexus/Google Experience:
"Google's Nexus and "Google experience" devices, by definition, are meant to get Android upgrades fast -- more or less as soon as the software is released. That's one of the products' key benefits: Since the software is controlled by Google and free from manufacturer meddling, the upgrades are handled directly by Google as well."

Nexus/Pure Android:
"The Nexus is a series of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in cooperation with selected hardware manufacturers. The purpose of the Nexus series is to offer a "pure Android" experience,[1] in which the devices come free of carrier or manufacturer modifications and with an unlockable bootloader[2] to allow for further development and end-user modification.[3] Nexus devices are considered the "flagship" Android devices and are the first to receive updates to the operating system."

I have seen misconception of Google's idea with the "Nexus" that grew over time not by Google but by "us". Google definition of their idea has not change but how people interpret the idea has.

The nexus is not...
-a device with the latest hardware
-an answer to the iPhone,iPad etc...
-law or even promised that every reiteration of nexus would come with brand new android OS.
-a promised annual device

A lot of these idea have been adopted into nexus over years by "us" and all of these notions arw not what nexus is or striving to be.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have seen misconception of Google's idea with the "Nexus" that grew over time not by Google but by "us". Google definition of their idea has not change but how people interpret the idea has.

The nexus is not...
-a device with the latest hardware
-an answer to the iPhone,iPad etc...
-law or even promised that every reiteration of nexus would come with brand new android OS.
-a promised annual device

A lot of these idea have been adopted into nexus over years by "us" and all of these notions arw not what nexus is or striving to be.

Look up threads about "Is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus really a Nexus?" You'll see a lot of misconceptions there.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Look up threads about "Is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus really a Nexus?" You'll see a lot of misconceptions there.

It is a though :). It's AOSP!

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line: Nexus is what Google chooses it to be, not what any of think it is.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The Concept on Android Updates

What are Google’s plans for Android this fall? | Android and Me

"With Ice Cream Sandwich, Google may have finally solidified how Android updates will work. Back in 2010, Andy Rubin sat down for an interview and laid out how Google will try to move from two updates a year, to one. In the interview with Rubin, by saying, “our product cycle is now, basically twice a year,” he implies that one product cycle equals one dessert name change.

In 2010, there was two dessert name changes, or product cycles, with the introduction of Android 2.2 and 2.3. In 2011, the number scheme was thrown out of whack with Honeycomb, but nonetheless, there was only Android 3.x, Honeycomb, and Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. So far in 2012, there’s only been 4.1, Jelly Bean."

What waiting would mean for the Nexus program, we don’t know. Google could very well release a new Nexus phone with 4.1 in November. They could release a new Nexus phone with 4.1.x, and include some noteworthy changes. They could decide not to release a phone at all.

On a side not I think this statement is true and is also what divides many people in countless debates. Google could choose to do any possible points of highlight and still be following their concept of the Nexus line and Android Updates. Like I mention before the highlighted statement brings people in many debates on because they come with presumption ideas Google never promised. Regardless what every path Google chooses for end year I will be happy either way.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
BACK TO OP
"Maybe that will be the end result of the original rumor pointing towards multiple Nexus devices releasing this fall. Instead of five new Nexus devices being released, five devices will be introduced into the AOSP. Nexus phones would be more like Nexus Edition phones. And if Google could get them all unlocked, off-contract into the Google Play store for around $400? That would be far bigger news than any one new device. It would be the evolution of the Nexus program itself."

What are Google’s plans for Android this fall? | Android and Me

This is probably most intriguing idea of read about multiple Nexuses rumor I have heard. Also brings up a bigger question into mix of the Nexus Concept. What makes the Nexus a Nexus is it the hardware and software or is just the software?

Hypothetical Example
I have a brand new Sony Xperia TX and either sony comes out with software up allow me access from Google to have vanilla Jelly Bean and like Nexus device will get updates from Google. Is my Sony Xperia TX now a nexus what would make it? I mean I getting software and updates straight from Google...?

OR

Sony and Google partner up and release a Sony Xperia TX which hardware wise is exactly the same but comes with vanilla Jelly Bean out the box

(LETS IGNORE THE SD CARD/GSM/CDMA SEMANTICS FOR SAKE OF MAKING THE ARGUMENT LESS COMPLEX)