Nexus Concept of the Past, Present, and Future

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
For me, a "Google Experience" device has a suite of Google apps pre-loaded which can change based on the device and Android version being used. I think JR Raphael in the Computer World article is simply wrong for thinking Nexus and Google Experience are the same thing.

"Pure Android" isn't really a class of device IMO, but a term commonly used to describe a Nexus device or a device that isn't a Nexus but is running a stock build of Android.

A Nexus device is best defined by Wikipedia. Notice there is no mention of the phrase "Google Experience" in the definition.

I could be completely wrong also, but that is how I separate those three terms.

What makes the Nexus a Nexus is it the hardware and software or is just the software?

Both. Every Nexus device (so far) has been built with Google's input. There is room to play in the hardware side of it as far as different screen sizes, processers, cameras, etc. but there are certain hardware features that Google requires of a nexus device. Those required hardware features can change as the software evolves. For instance no front-facing physical buttons, front-facing camera, and minimum amounts of RAM.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For me, a "Google Experience" device has a suite of Google apps pre-loaded which can change based on the device and Android version being used. I think JR Raphael in the Computer World article is simply wrong for thinking Nexus and Google Experience are the same thing.

"Pure Android" isn't really a class of device IMO, but a term commonly used to describe a Nexus device or a device that isn't a Nexus but is running a stock build of Android.

A Nexus device is best defined by Wikipedia. Notice there is no mention of the phrase "Google Experience" in the definition.

I could be completely wrong also, but that is how I separate those three terms.

I don't think JR is specifically saying the Nexus is the only Google Experience and the Google Experience could include the G1 series of devices that are not part of Nexus line. I think he only speaking where Google is at currently and Nexus is only current device you can get stock with Pure Android and Google Experience. I don't really know either but Pure Android and Google Experience are two terms Google uses extensively but hard differentiate from two terms.

IMO
Google Experience:is all pre-load Google Apps

Pure Android: Vanilla Android

What makes the Nexus a Nexus is it the hardware and software or is just the software?

Both. Every Nexus device (so far) has been built with Google's input. There is room to play in the hardware side of it as far as different screen sizes, processers, cameras, etc. but there are certain hardware features that Google requires of a nexus device. Those required hardware features can change as the software evolves. For instance no front-facing physical buttons, front-facing camera, and minimum amounts of RAM.

Ok so you say both the hardware and software make a nexus device. Then going back to the hypothetical example with Sony Xperia TX would not be consider a Nexus Upgrade because the hardware was not chosen by Google. Lets talk about the other half of hypothetical where Google and Sony made a separate Sony Xperia TX exactly the same device hardware wise just shipped out the box without carrier or oem bloatware and just had vanilla Jelly Bean. What would this device be? Would Google be pushing the Nexus idea into more Window OS. Where one could have option to have oem os or pure android os on selected devices from Google. I really don't know how many times people have said "I would love a nexus version of this phone a or this phone b etc...

This idea of upgrading your favorite oem android device to vanilla android os is rather hard idea see the benefits and the negatives for Google. Even harder to see is this the direction falls in line with the purpose of the Nexus. I think on the developers/android enthusiast would love this idea but honestly could see the benefit for developer would have with this idea over just have an actual Nexus device. This upgrading concept I see very little use for idea for the masses.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think JR is specifically saying the Nexus is the only Google Experience and the Google Experience could include the G1 series of devices that are not part of Nexus line. I think he only speaking where Google is at currently and Nexus is only current device you can get stock with Pure Android and Google Experience. I don't really know either but Pure Android and Google Experience are two terms Google uses extensively but hard differentiate from two terms.

IMO
Google Experience:is all pre-load Google Apps

Pure Android: Vanilla Android

Ok so you say both the hardware and software make a nexus device. Then going back to the hypothetical example with Sony Xperia TX would not be consider a Nexus Upgrade because the hardware was not chosen by Google. Lets talk about the other half of hypothetical where Google and Sony made a separate Sony Xperia TX exactly the same device hardware wise just shipped out the box without carrier or oem bloatware and just had vanilla Jelly Bean. What would this device be? Would Google be pushing the Nexus idea into more Window OS. Where one could have option to have oem os or pure android os on selected devices from Google. I really don't know how many times people have said "I would love a nexus version of this phone a or this phone b etc...

This idea of upgrading your favorite oem android device to vanilla android os is rather hard idea see the benefits and the negatives for Google. Even harder to see is this the direction falls in line with the purpose of the Nexus. I think on the developers/android enthusiast would love this idea but honestly could see the benefit for developer would have with this idea over just have an actual Nexus device. This upgrading concept I see very little use for idea for the masses.

I would not consider that hypothetical Sony a "Nexus" device. That would be a device that simply runs stock Android. You could describe it as "pure Android" since it has no bloatware or overlays. If Sony and Google worked together on some hardware then it could be considered a Nexus but I doubt it would look the same.

The computer world article says "Google's Nexus and "Google experience" devices, by definition, are meant to get Android upgrades fast -- more or less as soon as the software is released."

If you look at an old HTC Hero or a lot of early Android phones, on the back it says "with Google". This is where my understanding of "Google Experience" stems from. The Hero is not stock Android and not a Nexus, so it must be about the pre-loaded apps.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I'm pretty sure that Nexus only means one thing.

Whatever Google says it means.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I would not consider that hypothetical Sony a "Nexus" device. That would be a device that simply runs stock Android. You could describe it as "pure Android" since it has no bloatware or overlays. If Sony and Google worked together on some hardware then it could be considered a Nexus but I doubt it would look the same.

Question is Nexus the evolved idea of G1?

The computer world article says "Google's Nexus and "Google experience" devices, by definition, are meant to get Android upgrades fast -- more or less as soon as the software is released."
If you look at an old HTC Hero or a lot of early Android phones, on the back it says "with Google". This is where my understanding of "Google Experience" stems from. The Hero is not stock Android and not a Nexus, so it must be about the pre-loaded apps.

I agree the apps are the core principle of the "Google Experience". I have hear recently in commercials back to GN them referring to Google Experience as the list of Google Apps and their user functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
"First, Google is putting a lot of faith and trust into its partners. As Wimberly states, there are very strict standards that will shape the making of the devices themselves. But naming and branding? It seems Google has learned little from the Galaxy Nexus snafu. I had hoped the Nexus 7 and Nexus Q were a tell-tale that Google was putting its foot down and focusing on branding.
Unfortunately, it seems Google is giving its partners entirely too much freedom with branding. LG Optimus Nexus G makes me shudder. It's painful. As will be the Galaxy Nexus II and most other names, I'm sure. [/B]For starters, this is going to convolute the Nexus brand, make it confusing for consumers. And Nexus may go down the same dark path EVO and DROID have gone down over the years ? Nexus may eventually become just a technical term, not a symbol for a "pure Google experience" or superior products.
And that gets me to my next point. Nexus, for all intents and purposes, is a brand for pure Android products, the purest of pure mobile Google experience. Yet Google is going to allow custom skins, even if only as an option? How is that any more acceptable than the carrier bloatware on the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon?
It appears as if Google is pushing Nexus towards the mainstream, towards consumers who may not be quite as tech savvy as those modders and hackers out there, which is fine. I commend Google for their efforts. But it seems it may be placing too many liberties in the hands of partners, who may ultimately try to send the Nexus brand under in favor of their own brands. (I'm still not convinced the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus weren't Samsung's way of telling Google they will never put as much effort and finesse into a Google device as its own Galaxy brand.)"

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/10/04/...lphoneblog+(PhoneDog.com+Cell+Phone+articles)

Great article to read at phone dog that brings up a lot questions. What stands out most from the article is what I put in bold up above which mentions nexus straying from its roots. Which I have to agree this is not way I wanted Google to go releasing multiple Nexus devices. I do feel article assess Google relationship with its OEM partners very. Google I feel Google by mistake allow Nexus line be drag down by OEM while OEM's name gain recognition. October 29th can't come any sooner.

Nexuslover27

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
First, I think there's an extra criteria that would classify a device as a 'Nexus' - it is a device which Google also sells directly. That's something which other devices do not have, even if they may run pure, unadulterated Android.

Second, I agree with the fact that allowing Sense or Touchwiz on a Nexus phone is not ideal, but if the choice lies in the hands of the consumer, I'm all for it. Android is all about choice!

And finally, if Google is looking to take the Nexus mainstream, it makes sense. I ran into an iPhone user the other day who thought Nexus devices run Windows Phone. Can you believe that?! There are others who don't recognize the device by looking at it. This is supposed to be Google's 'flagship' device (sorry, I know the AC guys don't like the term)!! If more devices means more visibility, then so be it. But they have to get it right. Choice is important, but so is consistency. If they have multiple Nexii, there should be no difference in features,update timelines etc.

Great post. I love discussions like these!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
With the nexus line, personally I feel that updates should be pushed out to all devices just how apple handles it.
Too many flavors of android floating around and they need to have one flagship device available to all carriers all updated the same time.

OT why is the rezound 199.99 and the razr 99.99 but the nexus is 49.99 at verizon?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
With the nexus line, personally I feel that updates should be pushed out to all devices just how apple handles it.
Too many flavors of android floating around and they need to have one flagship device available to all carriers all updated the same time.

OT why is the rezound 199.99 and the razr 99.99 but the nexus is 49.99 at verizon?

To be honest, they probably just want to get rid of the inventory.

As far as the Rezound, I don't think I've ever actually seen one in the wild. But that being said, I've only seen a few Nexii in the wild too.

Nev

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
When it comes down to it, I believe we all have our own idea of what a Nexus device should be. I'm a Verizon customer (don't judge) and I waited and waited for a Nexus device. I finally got my hands on one after 3 other very nice devices. I will continue using it and enjoying it. I know that some folks think that the Nexus release on Verizon was a tragedy...maybe their right, maybe not...but I adore my device. Sure the updates take a little longer to get pushed out, but my overall experience with it has been nothing short of great. I hacked all of my other devices so I could have pure Android...now I don't have to. I've watched this OS mature and change over the last 4 years and I love the work they're doing...at Google and on the developer side. Great minds making great things. It's how it should be!

Just my $.02
N

Joet

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
"Is there a rule for a Nexus device on the Verizon network? I love that I am still rocking Ice Cream sandwich....should I switch to T Mobile? Very tempted!!!!"

I did. I bought the VZW GNex on day 1. Changed to T-Mo in August.

Yes, its a weaker network then Verizon, I spend most of my time in Wifi spaces at work or home, I have yet to have any real problem being on a less robust network and its sooooooo much more affordable.

The GSM version has a less blue-ish cast to the screen then the VZW version and it feels faster. Verizon spoils the Nexus experience forcing people who won't/can't root & rom to wait for the updates like any other phone. After all that too, when JB was released in June Google I/O and a Toro version of JB hit the web a few hours later as a ROM, I loaded it and aside from terrible battery life it worked fine. I tweaked and played around with some kernels and tried some different JB ROM's but very few people will do what I did.

In any case, a GSM Nexus is great, Google spanks Siri every time, Maps works great & I for one am not looking back.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Second, I agree with the fact that allowing Sense or Touchwiz on a Nexus phone is not ideal, but if the choice lies in the hands of the consumer, I'm all for it. Android is all about choice!

And finally, if Google is looking to take the Nexus mainstream, it makes sense. I ran into an iPhone user the other day who thought Nexus devices run Windows Phone. Can you believe that?! There are others who don't recognize the device by looking at it. This is supposed to be Google's 'flagship' device (sorry, I know the AC guys don't like the term)!! If more devices means more visibility, then so be it. But they have to get it right. Choice is important, but so is consistency. If they have multiple Nexii, there should be no difference in features,update timelines etc.

Great post. I love discussions like these!

Thanks, I like discussing about the concept of andoid because I find the discussion or debate interesting.

I agree with your statement about "choice" but the concept of Nexus is a special case. The Nexus concept is still much an evolving and changing idea that no one can clearly define.

Yes I can believe people still don't recognise the "nexus" brand because Google has not pushed the Nexus line to gain mainstream reputation. The nexus brand doesn't get enough exposure and I will leave it at that.

When it comes down to it, I believe we all have our own idea of what a Nexus device should be. I'm a Verizon customer (don't judge) and I waited and waited for a Nexus device. I finally got my hands on one after 3 other very nice devices. I will continue using it and enjoying it. I know that some folks think that the Nexus release on Verizon was a tragedy...maybe their right, maybe not...but I adore my device. Sure the updates take a little longer to get pushed out, but my overall experience with it has been nothing short of great. I hacked all of my other devices so I could have pure Android...now I don't have to. I've watched this OS mature and change over the last 4 years and I love the work they're doing...at Google and on the developer side. Great minds making great things. It's how it should be!

Just my $.02
N

I agree and admit to myself we all have strong opinion on he nexus concept but honestly we know very little. We look to part history of nexus line to define the he nexus concept which defines very little he nexus concept. The nexus concept can be whatever Google wants it to be. I just want the Nexus brand to be successful and strive. The end idea for Google Nexus line how they get there is up to debate but for now I hope they push forward and gain sucess with each Nexus device they come out with.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Just my $.02
N

When it comes down to it, a true Nexus is whatever Google says a Nexus is.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
IF that Phonedog article is true, then it's a sad day for the Nexus line. The software updates become the manufacturer's responsibility. We already have real world experience on the GSM Galaxy Nexus that that model doesn't work. How many of the non TAKJU/YAKJU phones are still on 4.0? And how long did it take them to get to 4.1 (compared to the Google controlled image)? At least the GN phone worked with Google's stock images, so getting your phone onto the Google Play version was possible.

But if Google does go the route of the Nexus program being a model option a manufacturer could choose to do, but with stricter guidelines on the software, this is not a win IMO. Now, what if Google still controls the software and updates on multiple models/manufacturer phones? Now that would be the best of both worlds....you bulid the phone but we push the software.

Not a fan of the branding, if true, but that's really a "oh, whatever" type issue.

So, of course a Nexus is whatever Google says it is. But after 3 generations of Nexus phones that had software support directly from Google, you get spoiled!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
http://androidandme.com/2012/10/new...ore-customization-center-enhanced-google-now/

New Nexus Program

Rumor: As previously reported, any manufacturer can produce a Nexus device or a Nexus version of an existing device. They work closely with Google on the hardware and driver details (there is a more efficient solution for this in 5.0), but Google is responsible for the updates (don?t know how the carriers factor in). The phones don?t necessarily have to have ?Nexus? as part of their name, it works more like a certificate like ?HD Ready?.

The devices have to fulfill some basic requirements. The phone has to ship with a stock version of Android, it needs to have the hardware power to run all ?Nexus Games?, and they have to support Google Wallet, aka have NFC.

There are two carrots on a stick that probably make the Nexus brand a huge selling point. Google Play gets expanded with a media streaming service component and there will be games that only work on Nexus devices. The streaming service uses the secure memory, making it harder to pirate the content. No word of the type or source of the media, but it seems to be a big deal.

Speculation: This info is all over the map, but it lines up with previous reports. It sounds like Google is going to encourage manufacturers to join their Nexus program, but it will be optional. If manufacturers meet a list of requirements, then they can become Nexus certified and gain access to new services and features.

It almost sounds like the list of requirements that Google currently places on OEMs in order for them to gain access to Google services like the Play store. This will now create a second tier certification program that manufactures have the choice of participating in. OEMs can offer a device that meets the basic requirements and gain access to the Google Play store, and if they include additional elements they get access to the Nexus certification.

New Customization Center

Rumor: There is a new Customization Center, where you can change ringtones, language packs, background, launchers, and so on. There is nothing too sophisticated (for now). The center is mainly a convenient way to enable the average customer to do some basic customizations. The range of options can be expanded via Google Play of course. However, there are two new features: templates that change the appearance of all (newly introduced) dynamic icons at once, and post filters that change the appearance of the whole UI ? think of Instagram.

The manufacturers may provide their custom UI through the Customization Center, but they don?t have to. When Google upgrades Android and a manufacturer fails to provide a compatible version of their custom UI the device reverts simply to the stock UI (or the user waits with the upgrade until the manufacturer catches up).

Speculation: This sounds like a dream come true. Google may have finally provided a solution to the manufactures that allows consumers to update the base Android operating system, without having to wait on the OEMs to update their skins.

^Above is a piece from the article from AndroidandMe.com^

What are people's thoughts on the Nexus Certified Progam and the Custimazation Center?

What strikes odd about these two features how they going market this idea to the mainateam? Specifically how I'll they market stock android with the option to with the OEM ui or vice versa?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
http://androidandme.com/2012/10/new...ore-customization-center-enhanced-google-now/

New Nexus Program

Rumor: As previously reported, any manufacturer can produce a Nexus device or a Nexus version of an existing device. They work closely with Google on the hardware and driver details (there is a more efficient solution for this in 5.0), but Google is responsible for the updates (don?t know how the carriers factor in). The phones don?t necessarily have to have ?Nexus? as part of their name, it works more like a certificate like ?HD Ready?.

The devices have to fulfill some basic requirements. The phone has to ship with a stock version of Android, it needs to have the hardware power to run all ?Nexus Games?, and they have to support Google Wallet, aka have NFC.

There are two carrots on a stick that probably make the Nexus brand a huge selling point. Google Play gets expanded with a media streaming service component and there will be games that only work on Nexus devices. The streaming service uses the secure memory, making it harder to pirate the content. No word of the type or source of the media, but it seems to be a big deal.

Speculation: This info is all over the map, but it lines up with previous reports. It sounds like Google is going to encourage manufacturers to join their Nexus program, but it will be optional. If manufacturers meet a list of requirements, then they can become Nexus certified and gain access to new services and features.

It almost sounds like the list of requirements that Google currently places on OEMs in order for them to gain access to Google services like the Play store. This will now create a second tier certification program that manufactures have the choice of participating in. OEMs can offer a device that meets the basic requirements and gain access to the Google Play store, and if they include additional elements they get access to the Nexus certification.

New Customization Center

Rumor: There is a new Customization Center, where you can change ringtones, language packs, background, launchers, and so on. There is nothing too sophisticated (for now). The center is mainly a convenient way to enable the average customer to do some basic customizations. The range of options can be expanded via Google Play of course. However, there are two new features: templates that change the appearance of all (newly introduced) dynamic icons at once, and post filters that change the appearance of the whole UI ? think of Instagram.

The manufacturers may provide their custom UI through the Customization Center, but they don?t have to. When Google upgrades Android and a manufacturer fails to provide a compatible version of their custom UI the device reverts simply to the stock UI (or the user waits with the upgrade until the manufacturer catches up).

Speculation: This sounds like a dream come true. Google may have finally provided a solution to the manufactures that allows consumers to update the base Android operating system, without having to wait on the OEMs to update their skins.

^Above is a piece from the article from AndroidandMe.com^

What are people's thoughts on the Nexus Certified Progam and the Custimazation Center?

What strikes odd about these two features how they going market this idea to the mainateam? Specifically how I'll they market stock android with the option to with the OEM ui or vice versa?

Update
http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news/retraction-recent-android-4-2-rumors-were-fake/

I am disappointed that some these features might not see the light of day right now. I am not disappointed if the "Nexus Certified" is a false rumor. The nexus certified was idea I could not fully image the apeal to mainstream nor establish the concept of Nexus. Then even worse seem blur the distinction between what Nexus is by Googles' term. The idea also frustrated me with Google's lack control over nexus program with there OEM partners.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Nexus Smartphones
HTC Nexus One
Samsung Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
LG Nexus 4

Who's next or rather who's left?
We have Asus, Sony, and Motorola has far OEM Google had bout used to make a Nexus Smartphone.

Will the guessing game come to end?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole Nexus idea is a work in progress and continually evolving....maybe one day it will be better defined by Google. I would still like to see the Nexus device promoted every year (around the same time) with a Google event. I would like it to be a top spec phone that takes on the current year iphone as well as a trend setter for future Android devices to follow and beat (until the next Nexus comes out). I would like to see it on several carriers and made by different manufacturers to give people who like smaller screens and bigger screens more options. This is my hope with the brand.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google won't ever "define" What the nexus project is/means. They would not limit themselves like that in an industry that changes every month. It will continue to evolve as they see fit without something as trivial as a public definition.

I too want a couple of devices on all carriers and for it to set the trends with its eye on showcasing its advantages over the iphone of that year

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For me I am looking to buy nexus smartphone that I will keep for long time because with Google sure next nexus will be what you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21