Google's vs Apple's product schedule between the Nexus Line and iPhone/iPad line.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What I mean by "product schedule" is there system when and how thy will launch new version of there product line. Simple example is iPhone is I believe up to know every year and Google's is....?

Now Android has flourished exponential in last 4 years so I would like to believe Google is still new and experimenting with Android. Hopefully soon Google will have set pattern for releasing the Nexus line like Apple is with their iDevices. This will lay to rest the when,where,what and who questions that keep one speculating on the next Nexus device.

Is the who,what,where, and how businesses strategy for Nexus Line to develope more buzz. I doubt it is any kind strategy because of the Nexus line is still know only by the minority. The minority being hardcore fans or devs so a stragety to sort of mystifying the Nexus line before launch does little to add to the appeal and make a difference in sales. Defiantly believed the majority being the average consumer would care for this strategy as they want simple pattern. That simple pattern of when a device will be avaible, who's going to make it, and where can I buy the device are easy questions to answer. This makes following a product easy for a average consumer and as we see with success of Apple/ Samsung (iDevices/Galaxy S 1-3) they like a set pattern.

Will Google have a set pattern at end of this year with nexus line or will we just be a small step closer? I feel or hope that least at end year we might expect something to be available at every Google I/O and there good leaks well before the event unfolds in nice. The early leaks on tech have proved apple much so success or for me at least appreciated if I was an apple fan.

Nexus Timeline

Nexus One
Dec 2009 Announced on Google's blog
Jan 2010 Released

Nexus S
Nov 2010 Demo at Web 2.0 Summit
Dec 2010 Released

Galaxy Nexus
May 2011 Andy Rubin confirmed a third Nexus would come.
October 2011 Announced at Samsung Unpacked " Google Episode"
Nov 2011 Released

Nexus 7/Q
June 2012 Announced
July 2012 Released

Google only for one year had as close as pattern you get with Google with the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. Google doesn't seem to have a pattern is because they do not have a base on how,who,what, and when are not establish questions answered with the Nexus Line. Until those questions are answers there always be high level of confusion and wild speculation on the Nexus Line. IMO for to appeal to mass and just not appeal to the minority then those questions needs to be answered.

iPhone Timeline

iPhone
Announced Jan 2007
Released Jun 2007
iPhone 3G
Announced Jun 2008
Released Jul 2008
iPhone 3GS
Announced Jun 2009
Released Jun 2009
iPhone 4
Announced Jun 2010
Released Jun 2010
iPhone 4S
Announced Oct 2011
Released Oct 2011
iPhone 5
Announced Sep 2012
Released Sep 2012

After the iPhone 3G, Apple had a set patteren for announcments and releases for the summer time. I believe it only changed to early fall with I phone 4S and Iphone 5 because of Google I/O in June. You can see Apple has nice set pattern to there iPhone line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
where is ipad in Apple's list?? because you included Nexus 7 on Google's list.

if you remove Nexus tablet and assume they started a mid year release of tablet and nov-dec release of Nexus Phones there you have your pattern.

btw, Apple release the tablet that way.

and "May 2011 Andy Rubin confirmed a third Nexus would come." is not official announcement or release so that wont count.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I fail to see how announcing a new Nexus phone every winter is a lack of a pattern :p hehe
2out5 Nexus device were announced/released during fall. 1 nexus out of 5 was in the winter. Winter starts December 21th in the northern hemisphere:cool:

where is ipad in Apple's list?? because you included Nexus 7 on Google's list.

if you remove Nexus tablet and assume they started a mid year release of tablet and nov-dec release of Nexus Phones there you have your pattern.

btw, Apple release the tablet that way.

and "May 2011 Andy Rubin confirmed a third Nexus would come." is not official announcement or release so that wont count.

I bunch all Nexus devices because it's not clear if nexus smart phones and tablets will be on seperate time tables. I exclude the iPad from the iPhone time line because I want highlight a distinct patteren with a specific series of devices.

I don't want assume pattern I want to see a pattern that is clear.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I want to see Google get the Nexus on all carriers at the same time. Tired of the 6 month delay for Sprint.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree, they need to establish a pattern as well. I think this is another reason why Apple is so successful.....they give their ifans what they want. It makes a lot of sense to release a new device now because we are now just a few months away from Christmas and if there are any production problems they should be fixed well before then. Google, on the other hand, lets it's fans wait and wonder...which sucks for us and makes no sense because many people end up bailing out for the iphone or going with another non-Nexus device. Last years Nexus release was horrible in my opinion. The timeline above says the Nexus was released in November but this is not true for America. We didn't see the Nexus until almost Christmas....it took them nearly 2 months to bring it to market here after it was officially announced......epic fail!! Again, this is where Apple stomps Google to the ground. Until Google takes it own flagship product seriously it will still remain as an unknown fan/developers phone. Who knows though, maybe this is what Google wants. If so, I don't think its the smartest decision because the Nexus line should be a trend setter for the upcoming year and we should all be able to rely on a somewhat consistent time line....THAT MAKES SENSE.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree, they need to establish a pattern as well. I think this is another reason why Apple is so successful.....they give their ifans what they want. It makes a lot of sense to release a new device now because we are now just a few months away from Christmas and if there are any production problems they should be fixed well before then. Google, on the other hand, lets it's fans wait and wonder...which sucks for us and makes no sense because many people end up bailing out for the iphone or going with another non-Nexus device. Last years Nexus release was horrible in my opinion. The timeline above says the Nexus was released in November but this is not true for America. We didn't see the Nexus until almost Christmas....it took them nearly 2 months to bring it to market here after it was officially announced......epic fail!! Again, this is where Apple stomps Google to the ground. Until Google takes it own flagship product seriously it will still remain as an unknown fan/developers phone. Who knows though, maybe this is what Google wants. If so, I don't think its the smartest decision because the Nexus line should be a trend setter for the upcoming year and we should all be able to rely on a somewhat consistent time line....THAT MAKES SENSE.

Agree and like to add they need a establish fall event like Google I/O.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
2out5 Nexus device were announced/released during fall. 1 nexus out of 5 was in the winter. Winter starts December 21th in the northern hemisphere:cool:

I bunch all Nexus devices because it's not clear if nexus smart phones and tablets will be on seperate time tables. I exclude the iPad from the iPhone time line because I want highlight a distinct patteren with a specific series of devices.

I still fail to see your reasoning. Regardless of semantics about my usage of the term"winter", all of the Nexus phones have been released November-January, and announced roughly around then as well. iPhones, similarly, have been released September-October. Again I ask you, how are these not consistent release schedules? It seems that you ignored my argument and solely focused on my wording, which may not technically have been correct.

As far as grouping the Nexus 7 with the Nexus phones goes, this also doesn't make any sense. As has been said, the Nexus line is made up of reference devices; it has never been said that they are all referencing the same thing and thus should only have set releases. For example, the Nexus 7 is a tablet, not a phone, and thus is a fundamentally different device than the Galaxy Nexus. Grouping them together in terms of trends of releases makes very little sense due to their different nature. I believe this is exactly mirrored in the case of the iPad and iPhone.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I think they have a pattern. End year to very early. There is a space of 49 days between the nexus s and nexus one with the galaxy nexus in the middle. That's fine with me give it to me when its ready.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I still fail to see your reasoning. Regardless of semantics about my usage of the term"winter", all of the Nexus phones have been released November-January, and announced roughly around then as well. iPhones, similarly, have been released September-October. Again I ask you, how are these not consistent release schedules? It seems that you ignored my argument and solely focused on my wording, which may not technically have been correct.

As far as grouping the Nexus 7 with the Nexus phones goes, this also doesn't make any sense. As has been said, the Nexus line is made up of reference devices; it has never been said that they are all referencing the same thing and thus should only have set releases. For example, the Nexus 7 is a tablet, not a phone, and thus is a fundamentally different device than the Galaxy Nexus. Grouping them together in terms of trends of releases makes very little sense due to their different nature. I believe this is exactly mirrored in the case of the iPad and iPhone.

Symantics and fact are two different things. Lets just choose to agree to disagree.

The pattern with Apple is more distinct with it's rumors following where and when apple announces a product as well release a product.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The pattern is one iPhone and one iPad every year.

Maybe Apple breaks that this year is they actually announcent an iPad mini next month.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The pattern is one iPhone and one iPad every year.

Maybe Apple breaks that this year is they actually announcent an iPad mini next month.
The Ipad mini may be on a seperate schedule from the rest of apple's products . What you will have is one iPhone,iPad, and iMini a year.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Symantics and fact are two different things. Lets just choose to agree to disagree.

The pattern with Apple is more distinct with it's rumors following where and when apple announces a product as well release a product.

Now you are just ignoring what I'm saying. Again I will ask you, how is releasing a phone once a year towards the end of the year NOT a trend?

If you want a specific event that Google will always have, then I think you are just out of luck for the time being. The nature of the Nexus announcements has changed for each Nexus phone announcement, depending on OEM, availability, etc. Thus, no extremely strict pattern has been determined. There is a general (and really not that general) pattern where one Nexus phone is released a year towards the end of the year.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If you want a specific event that Google will always have, then I think you are just out of luck for the time being. The nature of the Nexus announcements has changed for each Nexus phone announcement, depending on OEM, availability, etc. Thus, no extremely strict pattern has been determined.

The change in announcements are inconsistent and for sake of arguement I will agree for sake argument. They basically release a nexus every winter but because of inconsitences it hard to tell where they are heading next. We haven't touch on bases of Google making zero promises on when,who and where the nexus line is going. So really what official pattern from Google that Google has stated that you can be sure more then which season a nexus product will come out?

I am not asking for exact date but a set month for annoucements for a particular nexus product and then a set month to follow with a release. Finally Google having a venue that will show case her product once can expect a Nexus line. If you can't answer these questions IMHO their really isn't much of a pattern from Google.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The thing is, Apple customers expect an announcement every year and a new iphone and they get it. Not only does Apple do this consistently, they also reveal price, what carriers it will be on, and when it will be available. For Android fans it is a big question mark. Google really needs to look at how Apple does things and adjust their schedule accordingly. I would think that a majority of people would not want to wait until Christmas week to make a phone purchase.....especially if production delays are eminent. This is why September/October is the best time of year for a reveal...it gives plenty of time to iron out production problems by Christmas. Last years Nexus event left people wondering what other carriers it would be on, when it would be available etc. I remember every week after the announcement wondering ...will it be this week?....this tuesday?....this thursday? The whole thing was so stupid and so unpolished. I really don't see what is so hard about having an early announcement to go over the new Android OS as well as its flagship phone...and it should be done the same time every year (early fall/late summer) give or take one month.

The change in announcements are inconsistent and for sake of arguement I will agree for sake argument. They basically release a nexus every winter but because of inconsitences it hard to tell where they are heading next. We haven't touch on bases of Google making zero promises on when,who and where the nexus line is going. So really what official pattern from Google that Google has stated that you can be sure more then which season a nexus product will come out?

I am not asking for exact date but a set month for annoucements for a particular nexus product and then a set month to follow with a release. Finally Google having a venue that will show case her product once can expect a Nexus line. If you can't answer these questions IMHO their really isn't much of a pattern from Google.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The thing is, Apple customers expect an announcement every year and a new iphone and they get it. Not only does Apple do this consistently, they also reveal price, what carriers it will be on, and when it will be available. For Android fans it is a big question mark. Google really needs to look at how Apple does things and adjust their schedule accordingly. I would think that a majority of people would not want to wait until Christmas week to make a phone purchase.....especially if production delays are eminent. This is why September/October is the best time of year for a reveal...it gives plenty of time to iron out production problems by Christmas. Last years Nexus event left people wondering what other carriers it would be on, when it would be available etc. I remember every week after the announcement wondering ...will it be this week?....this tuesday?....this thursday? The whole thing was so stupid and so unpolished.

I agree completely.

I really don't see what is so hard about having an early announcement to go over the new Android OS as well as its flagship phone...and it should be done the same time every year (early fall/late summer) give or take one month.

I disagree that this know is easy task because Google likes their open philosophy. That works both ways their is no law or promise hold Google back to do whatever they want with the nexus line. Then you have promise of Nexus Program which doesn't guaranteed that all OEMs involve will be choosen next year. Google can not have schedule like Apple's if they don't make the choices to stick with certain oems for the nexus line as well mobile carriers.Unfortunately this is not even half of Google's problem.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What I mean by "product schedule" is there system when and how thy will launch new version of there product line. Simple example is iPhone is I believe up to know every year and Google's is....?

Now Android has flourished exponential in last 4 years so I would like to believe Google is still new and experimenting with Android. Hopefully soon Google will have set pattern for releasing the Nexus line like Apple is with their iDevices. This will lay to rest the when,where,what and who questions that keep one speculating on the next Nexus device.

Is the who,what,where, and how businesses strategy for Nexus Line to develope more buzz. I doubt it is any kind strategy because of the Nexus line is still know only by the minority. The minority being hardcore fans or devs so a stragety to sort of mystifying the Nexus line before launch does little to add to the appeal and make a difference in sales. Defiantly believed the majority being the average consumer would care for this strategy as they want simple pattern. That simple pattern of when a device will be avaible, who's going to make it, and where can I buy the device are easy questions to answer. This makes following a product easy for a average consumer and as we see with success of Apple/ Samsung (iDevices/Galaxy S 1-3) they like a set pattern.

Will Google have a set pattern at end of this year with nexus line or will we just be a small step closer? I feel or hope that least at end year we might expect something to be available at every Google I/O and there good leaks well before the event unfolds in nice. The early leaks on tech have proved apple much so success or for me at least appreciated if I was an apple fan.

Nexus Timeline

Nexus One
Dec 2009 Announced on Google's blog
Jan 2010 Released

Nexus S
Nov 2010 Demo at Web 2.0 Summit
Dec 2010 Released

Galaxy Nexus
May 2011 Andy Rubin confirmed a third Nexus would come.
October 2011 Announced at Samsung Unpacked " Google Episode"
Nov 2011 Released

Nexus 7/Q
June 2012 Announced
July 2012 Released

Google only for one year had as close as pattern you get with Google with the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. Google doesn't seem to have a pattern is because they do not have a base on how,who,what, and when are not establish questions answered with the Nexus Line. Until those questions are answers there always be high level of confusion and wild speculation on the Nexus Line. IMO for to appeal to mass and just not appeal to the minority then those questions needs to be answered.

iPhone Timeline

iPhone
Announced Jan 2007
Released Jun 2007
iPhone 3G
Announced Jun 2008
Released Jul 2008
iPhone 3GS
Announced Jun 2009
Released Jun 2009
iPhone 4
Announced Jun 2010
Released Jun 2010
iPhone 4S
Announced Oct 2011
Released Oct 2011
iPhone 5
Announced Sep 2012
Released Sep 2012

After the iPhone 3G, Apple had a set patteren for announcments and releases for the summer time. I believe it only changed to early fall with I phone 4S and Iphone 5 because of Google I/O in June. You can see Apple has nice set pattern to there iPhone line.

I don't get it. Isn't it kind of obvious; one every year? The Nexus S was released 11 months after the Nexus One, and the Galaxy Nexus was released 11 months after the Nexus S. Where's the discrepancy?

---------- Post Merged at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:21 PM ----------

It doesn't matter what season it's in. What matters is if it's roughly once a year. The iPhone 4S and 5 were released in the fall, and the rest in the summer or spring, yet you say that that is a pattern. It just doesn't make sense.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it. Isn't it kind of obvious; one every year? The Nexus S was released 11 months after the Nexus One, and the Galaxy Nexus was released 11 months after the Nexus S. Where's the discrepancy?

---------- Post Merged at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:21 PM ----------

It doesn't matter what season it's in. What matters is if it's roughly once a year. The iPhone 4S and 5 were released in the fall, and the rest in the summer or spring, yet you say that that is a pattern. It just doesn't make sense.

I have said alot and come to agreement on OG Post. I actually agreed that there is pattern. The agrument as moved more than a simple pattern but the predictablity of the parttern. Also what that pattern if followed answers. I believe you have missed a lot of what I have discuss with others or we are just simply different sides of the spectrum.

If you want me to summarize where OGP argument as developed now then I will if you want. Or if you have more specific question on what I have said I will answer.

You need to follow my posts that go back and forth with other AC members because then you will know where everyone is going with topic otherwise I feel I will be repeating myself.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
If Google can do it a week before Christmas, then they can do it earlier with better planning. It makes better sense to schedule their release around the same time of the Apple event and if it takes them meeting with phone makers and carriers the February before then so be it. I personally feel that the best course of action is to start making their own phone via Motorola since Google now owns them. I mean, why would Samsung want to make a superior phone that will compete with its upcoming S-IV. It's really a no brainer, they bought Motorola so let Motorola make all future Nexus phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar