Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Default Re: Why can't we get top specs in a normal Size???

I think there is demand for a top spec device with a smaller display. Will any mfg take that risk?

Come on Samsung. Make the rumored S3 Mini equal spec wise to the S3. Apple has shown that one size fits all a poor strategy. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #77  

Quote Originally Posted by The Real X Dawg View Post
    How many times it must be repeated that if you want to remain within Apple's ecosystem there is no other choice?

You may not be wrong but you are incomplete. Size is only one factor here, there's ecosystem, performance, features, price and style to consider.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Again, I don't deny that. But out of everything we know, there's nothing that proves smaller high end android devices won't sell. That's a fact that u conveniently ignore. On the other hand, there may be a multitude of factors that keep people in the ios ecosystem... But one thing is for sure, 3.5 and 4in devices ARE selling. And that's about the only fact that we know for sure.

When HTC made the ONE series, they chose to not only design the v differently, but they also dropped the specs so far low, that it became an "affordable" alternative if you're on a budget. The media is not going to latch on to that concept and run with it. So what happened? The X and S got all the attention and no one gave a damn about the one v. If they all would of been ONE S devices in different sizes, we would have definitely saw a difference in sales and popularity..... Imho of course

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    ViperOne

I never said smaller Androids can't sell. I said basically the exact same thing in all my posts, size is just one of many factors behind sales. Small Androids will suffer from the same issues as their larger brothers.

A miniature S3 would be cool to see for people who likes smaller phones but who knows if it will catch on or flop. No different than a large iphone, it could be a hit or a bust. Personally I would like to see both happen . More high tech toys to play with.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

That's sort of the nature of having such a fragmented ecosystem. Choice is good... But for this, it seems like there is no choice. Smaller means cheaper inside and out. And that is very unfortunate.

On that note...
    I don't like the frame of the razr m, however, they are definitely on to something with their 4.3 edge to edge design. Give that phone a maxx hd housing, specs, battery, and keep the 4.3in screen and i would have been a very happy guy. Guess its back to waiting on the sidelines again with my droid incredible 2.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Some people have tiny hands (like my wife's baby hands) and can't handle the large screens

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    The HTC One S is a great phone with a smaller size. It may not be the very top end but still a good choice. I think that the numbers are what dictate what they will produce. Most people want bigger so that is where the market is going.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed at the lack of education apparently some posters have been cursed with. My post was clearly written yet they seem to have read something completely different. Astonishing...

"I would look like a total ***** using something like a Note in public."

Yes, have you seen what that thing looks like when someone 5'4" 130# is using it? It's like wearing Ronald McDonald's shoes. It's not comfortable, it's ungainly, and it's unsightly. I don't like having BT headsets stuck in my ears all the time, or earbuds. I'd have to talk with that thing to my head. *I would look like an *****.*

"I have something called pride."

EDIT: Nice edit there, buddy.

Pretty simple. It has nothing to do with how much it would hurt anyone, or how you'd look using it. If you're Shaq then I'm sure it would look fabulous. I'm not touching anything that big, though.

Yes, looking like a bumbling ***** hurts my pride. I have an ego just like everyone else. It's why you're trying so hard to make my statement look so ridiculous on this forum :-)

The Skyrocket is a wide 4.5" device. It is uncomfortable to use for anyone with small hands and if you add a case to it, it gets worse since the phone gets wider and thicker as a result of it. If you have larger hands the wider, bigger screen is totally fine. If you're a small person like me and have small hands to match, it's impossible to use one handed and it's a real PITA to use period. My thumb cannot even reach across any of those screens, nevermind to the corner of one. They basically require two handed operation which causes obvious usability issues in many situations.

^^- therein lies the problem. If someone like me wants a comfortable high end smartphone to use then the Android hardware ecosystem is basically off-limits. There are no choice since they're all 4.5-5.3" devices. We all know where mid range devices end up, support-wise, if they come with Android installed on them... Windows Phone seems to be going in the same direction, so I'm writing them off. iOS and Blackberry seem to be the only ones focusing on this key usability metric. Bigger is not always better. Productivity > entertainment to many people.
    One of my employees had the iPhone 4 then switched to the HTC desire hd. It wasn't even that big but ended up not liking the larger screen. He just got the iPhone 5. He is a techie guy and is a programmer so I was surprised at his decision. He had rooted his desire so he had explored android a fair bit. But he said he wanted to actually simplify his mobile device and know he could get updates etc. on a smaller premium device.

Personally I thought he was nuts, but sometimes people want or need different things than I do, so good on you for asking for the perfectly sized device that doesn't compromise.

I originally posted the HTC One S as a good alternative and it could be a good phone but I saw it only has 16gb and qhd. It isn't the One X but is still a pretty good phone with a smaller size. The S4 chip rocks and reviews have been great on it.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I originally posted the HTC One S as a good alternative and it could be a good phone but I saw it only has 16gb and qhd. It isn't the One X but is still a pretty good phone with a smaller size. The S4 chip rocks and reviews have been great on it.
    I'm on a Nexus S waiting to upgrade. I would like a faster processor, and a sharper screen. But qHD at 4.3" is just not a big enough step up from WVGA at 4", especially if it is still Pentile. This rules out the One S and RAZR M for me.

As a point of comparison, many people are still saying the One X has the best screen in any smartphone, ever. Even after the release of the iPhone 5. What I want is that same screen tech, in a slightly smaller phone. No compromise.
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    I'm on a Nexus S waiting to upgrade. I would like a faster processor, and a sharper screen. But qHD at 4.3" is just not a big enough step up from WVGA at 4", especially if it is still Pentile. This rules out the One S and RAZR M for me.

As a point of comparison, many people are still saying the One X has the best screen in any smartphone, ever. Even after the release of the iPhone 5. What I want is that same screen tech, in a slightly smaller phone. No compromise.
    Ya I hear ya. My neighbour has the one x and the screen is so nice. I really don't like the AmoLED at all although it's not horrible. Just a bit over saturated. I wish HTC would make a phone with all the same specs as the one x but with removable battery and SD support. For me this is the perfect phone. I guess for you it would be perfect in a 4inch size?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist

I mean, in all likelihood I'll upgrade to whatever they give me for the next Nexus. But I just wish HTC had drawn a line in the sand with the Sensation and said "absolutely no larger than this" and just worked on putting in a higher quality screen, reducing thickness and bezel, upgrading processor and camera etc.
    RicanMedic78 and badbrad17 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

Yea, in all actuality, the htc one series is the most impressive of the bunch that would have rocked at 4in with an edge to edge screen. That would probably be my dream phone in a smaller size

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    badbrad17 likes this.

There are a lot of phones out there with a 720p screen at 4.3 inches. It all started with the Rezound and now the Xperia V. I believe there are a few chinese phones that have the same. It's doable and is the size I want (would prefer 4)...

I think the companies wanted to get as many features in as many phones as possible so instead of engineering efficiently they made phones huge to fill the phones with LTE radios and the like...
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffgong4 View Post
    There are a lot of phones out there with a 720p screen at 4.3 inches. It all started with the Rezound and now the Xperia V. I believe there are a few chinese phones that have the same. It's doable and is the size I want (would prefer 4)...

I think the companies wanted to get as many features in as many phones as possible so instead of engineering efficiently they made phones huge to fill the phones with LTE radios and the like...
    That may be true. I never really thought about the extra size adding space but it's a good point. Although after playing with a number of phones recently I think that anything sub 5in. is totally acceptable. The Galaxy note 1 looks freakish compared. Version 2 looks slimmer but still too huge imo.

Android Evangelist

Totally agree. Everything above 4" does not feel comfy for me, and I do not have very small hands. After all I still use it as a phone
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #89  

Tuff, excellent point.

And if u think about it, apple is the only company that tries to innovative when it comes to size of its parts, example nano sim, internal battery, lightning connector, new touch screen tech, etc.

Making a phone housing bigger is just an easy way to fit everything in, especially when u use mainstream parts. It might keep things cheaper to the manufacturers when you do things this way. I honestly never even thought about that!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    Tuff, excellent point.

And if u think about it, apple is the only company that tries to innovative when it comes to size of its parts, example nano sim, internal battery, lightning connector, new touch screen tech, etc.

Making a phone housing bigger is just an easy way to fit everything in, especially when u use mainstream parts. It might keep things cheaper to the manufacturers when you do things this way. I honestly never even thought about that!

Sorry but the lightning connecter is crapola. They should be going with micro usb like everyone else. Waste of money for people.

Android Evangelist
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

I agree

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Thanks to the OP. I am 100% behind what the poster said. I had a Palm Pre; never minded having a "small" screen and that phone was the perfect size for me. Went with an Evo Shift as the size was smaller than the OG EVO but really felt like I had to settle for lower specs (but I LOVED the keyboard). I was way overdue for an upgrade when he EVO LTE and SIII were on the horizon and was hoping to see a 4 - 4.3 incher with the same specs. I asked around at various carriers to see if anyone had something coming out and they all told me that the larger phones were what "everyone" wants. Not me. So I got an EVO LTE and while I am ultra impressed with the phone (except for 3G reception problems that got me a new phone) the thing is just a bit to big for me. My main problem is my jeans; I wear Levi's 501's and the pockets must not be a deep as other jeans as when I have the phone in my pocket when I drive, it's just too cramped in my pocket and the power button gets held down enough to boot the phone. I don't watch movies on the thing, I don't read books (have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus) but do use it for browsing. Love it for that but I long for a top of the line smaller phone. Plus, I got a holster for it and I think it looks like I am hanging a briefcase from my belt. For me it feels goofey.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #93  

Wow, the palm pre.... Funny thing is that it wasn't that long ago that a design like that was very "in!" its amazing what changes only 2 years can bring.

I think the chatter is increasing tho. Manufacturers went too big too quickly and I think eventually, just like this stylistic change happened so quickly going bigger, it'll go back the other way soon enough. I think it may take 1 good small device release for the tied to change.

I think big phones are fine, but i also think it should be more of a nitch product. Normal should still be characterized as normal... And the small or extra small or large or extra large should have their own identity as well. What's happening with android however is that extra large is becoming the new normal. And personally i think manufacturers are just chasing the nitch for a quick buck not realizing how badly they are reshaping mobile all together from less function to more form.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  

The funny thing is that in only 2 short years, an iphone size device is now seen as for women with small hands... at least to the Android community. And in reality, that is not now it used to be. I opened an old box and pulled out my old blackberry curve 8330. Even though the keyboard takes up half the screen, the entire device size is so tiny, I think looking at that would help people realize how wanting bigger just became a strange addiction (no pun intended lol) and how manufacturers catered and followed the dollar, all out of the success of one device.... The evo 4G (wimax) on sprint... Remember that? That's what started it off.

The funny thing is that we still have an iphone base that stays practical, and i think that's where the bizarre differences will eventually collapsed. One will lose eventually. I think android users are looking at it as if apple is not giving their users choice and in turn, ppl are just settling for 4ins. I personally think its the other way around, although you can always find support on both sides. But i think the larger iphone community is content with 4in screens.

It'll be interesting how the market is shaped in the next 2 years. I hope android goes back to sensible size phones. The platform is better than ios and it would be a shame if i would have to switch because i don't have "choice" in a platform that was designed around the concept of "choice." give me a flagship in 4in without sacrificing specs. Thats all i ask for. 2 years with a device is way too long to start off with a phone that's already a year behind.

Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    The funny thing is that in only 2 short years, an iphone size device is now seen as for women with small hands... at least to the Android community. And in reality, that is not now it used to be. I opened an old box and pulled out my old blackberry curve 8330. Even though the keyboard takes up half the screen, the entire device size is so tiny, I think looking at that would help people realize how wanting bigger just became a strange addiction (no pun intended lol) and how manufacturers catered and followed the dollar, all out of the success of one device.... The evo 4G (wimax) on sprint... Remember that? That's what started it off.

The funny thing is that we still have an iphone base that stays practical, and i think that's where the bizarre differences will eventually collapsed. One will lose eventually. I think android users are looking at it as if apple is not giving their users choice and in turn, ppl are just settling for 4ins. I personally think its the other way around, although you can always find support on both sides. But i think the larger iphone community is content with 4in screens.

It'll be interesting how the market is shaped in the next 2 years. I hope android goes back to sensible size phones. The platform is better than ios and it would be a shame if i would have to switch because i don't have "choice" in a platform that was designed around the concept of "choice." give me a flagship in 4in without sacrificing specs. Thats all i ask for. 2 years with a device is way too long to start off with a phone that's already a year behind.

The Galaxy S3's size odds very sensible unless of course you have small handsor wear women's jeans with small pockets.

It fits in the pocket no problem, really used one handed, nice size screen, but anything bigger would be too big

Sent from my htc_jewel using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  

4.8in screen is not very sensible. But then again, that's an extremely subjective few on my part.

Although history is on my side as far as what the extremes are. If u can tolerate 4.8 thats fine, but you honestly cannot admit with a straight face that that is a normal size for the masses

I personally love GN-GS3 sized screens, but my wife would really like to ditch her DInc 2 for a similarly sized phone with a high rez screen and fully modern specs. The RAZR M is the closest thing right now (the internals are great) but the screen and camera still come up a little short.

What she'd really like is a Nexus device built in that size range - given the obvious market for phones the size of the iPhone you'd think Google could get at least one Nexus model out in that size range, otherwise Android is practically ceding a very lucrative part of the market to iDevices.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post

Plus the nexus s has a front cam the one s doesn't so no skyping or tango for that device other than that yeah its a decent phone

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    I personally love GN-GS3 sized screens, but my wife would really like to ditch her DInc 2 for a similarly sized phone with a high rez screen and fully modern specs. The RAZR M is the closest thing right now (the internals are great) but the screen and camera still come up a little short.

What she'd really like is a Nexus device built in that size range - given the obvious market for phones the size of the iPhone you'd think Google could get at least one Nexus model out in that size range, otherwise Android is practically ceding a very lucrative part of the market to iDevices.
    U can get your wife the gn and when news come of the next one if she likes it then sell the gn and get the new one if she don't then keep the gn

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #100  

Htc has a real option of putting a lot of resources into their incredible line and make it top notch. The nane has a solid reputation behind and htc can work with it for next year's model. It can't "just be 4in." its got to have the specs, design, and construction to match.

Frankly, i don't even care if its 4.3in, as long as its edge to edge like the razr m. Still small when done that way...

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast