Why can't we get top specs in a normal Size???

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
So they increased it to 4.8"? O wait...

The Inc 4g has the best for factor of any phone on the market right now, but because of lots of the pushed razr and the fact that HTC refuses to support it no one the walks into verizon knows it exists. Instead everyone goes to the awful squared of razr.

4.3" 720p screen. No bezel. 1.5ghz S4. 16gig+ internal with sd. 2000ma removable battery. Put it on at least 3 of the major carriers. If you make it they will come and come in droves;)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Who will come in droves? Oompa Loompa's?? ;)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Who will come in droves? Oompa Loompa's?? ;)

Anyone that enjoys using their phone with one hand. Anyone that enjoys nice ergonomics and form fact. Anyone that does not feel they need to compensate for the size of something else in their pants ;-)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Neurotic? .. lol wow, so much for being nice. My point was the fact that they are indeed increasing the size. I doubt Apple had the intention to bump the iphone to a 4.7" screen this time around but I am fairly certain that you will see the iphone continue to increase in size. Almost everyone I know who switched from iphone to Android did it either because of the ridiculously small size of the iphone or the fact that they hated itunes. I'm sorry if your hands are small and you wear skinny jeans but I'm willing to bet that 4 inch Android phones are going to be few and far in between. lol....sorry:p

So your saying that sense the iPhone increase is screen size, doesn't matter how much(because all subjectivity is obviously irrelevant), that all ppl want 4.8"+ size screens and anyone that doesn't has little girls hands or wears skinny jeans... Wow...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
So your saying that sense the iPhone increase is screen size, doesn't matter how much(because all subjectivity is obviously irrelevant), that all ppl want 4.8"+ size screens and anyone that doesn't has little girls hands or wears skinny jeans... Wow...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

lol...no. Where are you getting 4.8+ screen size from anyway? Are you talking about the Note or Note 2 because I personally think the size of the current nexus is perfect. I mentioned skinny jeans because people on here keep saying that sizes like the current Nexus are not fitting into pockets. I'm just trying to figure out what pockets are these phones not fitting in. The only thing I can think of is really tight skinny jeans..lol. They fit in all my pockets.....lab coat, shorts, jeans, pants, dress shirts etc but then again I'm 6'3". The Nexus also fits in many of the pockets in the pants my wife wears and she is 5'6". I understand that everyone has their own sense of what size is best for them but obviously sales are reflecting the demand for bigger screens. If they weren't selling then phones would have never became that big in the first place. I honestly think the iphone will continue to increase in size .... its just a matter of time....Apple is just doing it at its own pace. I will be shocked if companies start going back down in size to 4"...I really don't feel the demand is there. I think they will hover around the size of the current Nexus and the phablet market will continue to add new phones as an alternative that want even bigger screens.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
lol...no. Where are you getting 4.8+ screen size from anyway? Are you talking about the Note or Note 2 because I personally think the size of the current nexus is perfect. I mentioned skinny jeans because people on here keep saying that sizes like the current Nexus are not fitting into pockets. I'm just trying to figure out what pockets are these phones not fitting in. The only thing I can think of is really tight skinny jeans..lol. They fit in all my pockets.....lab coat, shorts, jeans, pants, dress shirts etc but then again I'm 6'3". The Nexus also fits in many of the pockets in the pants my wife wears and she is 5'6". I understand that everyone has their own sense of what size is best for them but obviously sales are reflecting the demand for bigger screens. If they weren't selling then phones would have never became that big in the first place. I honestly think the iphone will continue to increase in size .... its just a matter of time....Apple is just doing it at its own pace. I will be shocked if companies start going back down in size to 4"...I really don't feel the demand is there. I think they will hover around the size of the current Nexus and the phablet market will continue to add new phones as an alternative that want even bigger screens.

Gotcha. 4.8 4.7 4.6 are just the normal of the newest super phone and I arbitrarily chose 4.8 as an example.

But see the ppl that like the smaller phones but want top specs have nothing to turn to. The Inc 4g is mod range. The razr had a smaller screen, but was as wide or wider than the other phones with bigger screens. There is nothing for them to turn to so they always get the bigger phone just so they can have the specs they want. I personally got the Rezound be cause of its specs. It was at the top of my size range, but I got it because of its specs. If there had be been a slightly smaller phone with the same hardware, I would have been all over it. The consumers are being pushed toward the bigger phones because there is Nothing else with the specs.

I know several ppl that would love to switch to android, but cannot get a not huge android phone that is as good as the iphone, so they stick with the iphone

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You would think that with so many Android phones out there that you would see ones the size and the specs you're talking about. I didn't realize that there wasn't any until I read this thread. Hopefully they monitor forums like this and see that people are still interested in the smaller phones. For me, I need the bigger screen for my eyes....I guess staring at pills and deciphering prescriptions all day has taken a toll on my eyes...lol

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You would think that with so many Android phones out there that you would see ones the size and the specs you're talking about. I didn't realize that there wasn't any until I read this thread. Hopefully they monitor forums like this and see that people are still interested in the smaller phones. For me, I need the bigger screen for my eyes....I guess staring at pills and deciphering prescriptions all day has taken a toll on my eyes...lol

I just read that Samsung is planning an announcement for a smaller SGS3 phone in the 4 inch category.

Not sure if the specs will be exact or not but it sounds like they are listening. I also think Samsung is getting an answer for every turn that Apple makes as their latest ads are all about the benefits of a smaller screen. Actually made me laugh when I saw it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it's true that while some like big phones, and many are being forced into it just to get the best. When u factor those people out, I think the big screen phones at 4.7 4.8 becomes a nitch product again. I think 4 to 4.3 is the right balance universally. 4.3 edge to edge is the ideal. No one can prove this theory wrong since no one has made it yet with top specs like the iphone. So all we can do is speculate. But something tells me I'm right and I think apple knows that more of its users rather have 4in than 4.7 or above.

I mean, if tablets r so popular, and especially 7in tablets, wouldn't u just use that as a big screen on the go? I don't understand the popularity of 7in tablets in a world where they're making flagship phones btwn 4.7 to 5ins. Something is definitely wrong I am translation here...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i repeat myself alot, but when these bezels shrink down bc tech gets smaller, a 4.65 inch screen is going to be the size of less-than-4.3inch phones currently are, edge to edge top bottom side to side, and they will be unbelievable.

until then, you guys that want the smaller ones are just gonna have to take the offerings that are 4-4.3 if size is what really matters. on the plus side, the mid-level phones are getting better and better every release. the new moto is a good example of that.

but just think of the smaller bezels!!!give it a year or two. it will happen. um i think :)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Simple Question: Why is it do hard to fathom a top spec'd device in a 4in to 4.3in screen size??? iphone success doesn't give phone makers a clue???

Motorola "ALMOST" got it right with the new razr maxx HD, right up until I heard that it's going to have a 4.7in FML device!!! Anyone agree???

Lol Normal size? What makes 4" - 4.3" normal size?

Now another note, on engadget they basically confirmed a Galaxy S III Mini being announced tomorrow in France. It is to be a 4" device. Maybe it will have top specs too.

T.Barnhart

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I read most of the posts and don't really understand why anyone who didn't want a large phone would get one. If its such an issue... and you want awesome spec... *shudder* just buy an iPhone. It is not to my pref, but I wouldn't use a phone if I couldn't handle it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, it is supposed to have allof the same hardware except for a smaller form (4").

Wonder if the battery will be smaller, too.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here you go. Looks like your wish may come true this week.
theverge.com/2012/10/10/3482218/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-4-inch-jk-shin

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
looks like they do read threads! Good job Samsung! I'm amazed at how many who like big phones aren't advocating for a smaller flagship, even when we ask for it. I thought android was all about choice. For an android fan to actually tell another android fan to get over it or go Apple if we dont like it is unbelievable. As if we don't have the right to point out and complain about what appears to be a gaping hole in the consumer market segment... Amazing!

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
i just read the specs for the mini... totally disappointing! How can they say they wanted to make a flagship mini, and then call this the phone that will compete with the iphone 5 size for size if it has half the specs? less camera, less processor, less resolution, etc! Then when it doesnt sell as well, people will say 4in phones dont do well! Epic fail if the rumored specs are true!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i just read the specs for the mini... totally disappointing! How can they say they wanted to make a flagship mini, and then call this the phone that will compete with the iphone 5 size for size if it has half the specs? less camera, less processor, less resolution, etc! Then when it doesnt sell as well, people will say 4in phones dont do well! Epic fail if the rumored specs are true!
i agree. what a missed opportunity! if the phone had the same speeds, screen and ram as the normal s3, it would steal a lot of iPhone people.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

The GS3 mini is a joke. Lower resolution screen, slower processor, less RAM, lower resolution camera, etc. How could they even associate the GS3 name with it?
Horrible marketing. Some people who don't know any better will buy this thinking they have a GS3, only smaller.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
its so funny how we talk about this very subject for 6 full pages, and low and behold, a device just as we have spoken about emerges.... and sure enough, it comes with exactly what we have said we DON'T want!

There are enough mid range small phones out there! What we want is a high end small phone! And mind you, I don't even consider 4in - 4.3in small! When the EVO first came out for sprint, they called it a monster with its 4.3in screen! My perception of what is a big device has not changed all that much in 2 years as I have not changed all that much! Its a shame that the device market is not intelligent enough to stop chasing its own tail in thinking that big is better just because they are offering no options to its customers and at least half of them are just settling with bigger in order to get on board with "flagship"

And who decided that the GS3 mini will compete the iphone5???? LMAO... funny claim!

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The GS3 mini is a joke. Lower resolution screen, slower processor, less RAM, lower resolution camera, etc. How could they even associate the GS3 name with it?
Horrible marketing. Some people who don't know any better will buy this thinking they have a GS3, only smaller.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And 90% of consumer users will love it, not care that its not bleeding edge like it's big brother, and really never notice the difference. That's the point many of us have been making in this thread.

Here you have Samsung saying that based on market research, they are adding the smaller size, and it's getting step down internals, which will keep the costs down, and still make an desirable device for most people. The research clearly didn't show that they would have been better served with an actual GS3 Mini. The niche for small form factor + high end internals continues to look like one that is not worth investing in for OEM's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo