1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buy S3 now or hang on?

I am switching to Android for the first time from my iPhone 3GS. Should I get the Samsung Galaxy S3 now or hang on a bit?

Thanks,

Jon

Default Re: Buy S3 now or hang on?

if you like S3 buy it. if you trying to wait for S4 then dont wait it will take another 9 months to come out.
    S3 is the best phone out there now and will be the best phone for long.
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

I would hang on a month or 2 if you can to see how these Nexus rumors play out.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

You can't go wrong with the S3, let's put it this way. It will be the best device for quite some time.

You can always wait if you want, and see what other devices like the Nexus line comes out with, but be prepared to wait 2-3 months at least. The S3 can be purchased cheaper on deals and is a rock solid device.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
    You can't go wrong with the S3, let's put it this way. It will be the best device for quite some time.

You can always wait if you want, and see what other devices like the Nexus line comes out with, but be prepared to wait 2-3 months at least. The S3 can be purchased cheaper on deals and is a rock solid device.
    I like my S3. The one area that it lacks significantly though in my opinion is with Touch Wiz. The device would be nearly perfect to me if it came with stock Android. Stock Jelly Bean would be icing on the cake. Unfortunately, given Samsung's track record for updating their phones and the carriers never ending hinderence for allowing updates to be pushed it will not have even a corrupted version of Jelly Bean until (I'm guessing) late second to early third quarter next year. Which by that time will still be behind because Google will be releasing its next OS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I thought the S3 was getting a JB update as we speak? That would only be 4 months since the phone came out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    I like my S3. The one area that it lacks significantly though in my opinion is with Touch Wiz. The device would be nearly perfect to me if it came with stock Android. Stock Jelly Bean would be icing on the cake. Unfortunately, given Samsung's track record for updating their phones and the carriers never ending hinderence for allowing updates to be pushed it will not have even a corrupted version of Jelly Bean until (I'm guessing) late second to early third quarter next year. Which by that time will still be behind because Google will be releasing its next OS.
    Root it and flash CM10. That's what I did. GS3 with stock Android is really great.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

If you root it, do you end up losing some of the features of the S3, since Samsung's own add-ons are needed for them to work?

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

I kept mine stock, just added the Nova Launcher for a few extras and really like it. 15 minutes and I was/am hooked.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
    I thought the S3 was getting a JB update as we speak? That would only be 4 months since the phone came out.
    Yes, the international s3 already got the jelly bean update for some countries US carrier phone will take additional weeks for carrier approval process.

T Mobile UK have released the S3 LTE which has JB out of the box (still Touch Wiz on top I think).

If you root it, do you end up losing some of the features of the S3, since Samsung's own add-ons are needed for them to work?
    When you root with a stock ROM you don't lose anything, but as soon as you flash a JB ROM you will lose the Samsung add-ons.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Personally unless your phone is dead I would wait to see what is happening with the nexus phones. If you don't mind touch wiz, go for it. The S3 hardware is solid.

Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I am switching to Android for the first time from my iPhone 3GS. Should I get the Samsung Galaxy S3 now or hang on a bit?

Thanks,

Jon
    Well, I have used the 3Gs, 4 and 4s, for some reason they bored me after a few hours, I kept each for almost a month and I just never liked them! I love webOS, but a little over a year ago I got me the Moto Photon 4G, I really like it but stupid Motorola won't release ICS for it so I'm thinking about the Galaxy S3 as a replacement for my Photon.

I don't think there will be something way better then the SGS3 for a good while, and according to many sites, Sprint will have it at $50 on Nov 23, but if you don't like Sprint or have another carrier and want to stay there, I'll say go on and get it. You can always wait a few weeks to see if there's a new Nexus coming before year's end too.
    Just my 2 cents...