Multiple Nexuses (Nexii?)

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting anxious for a new Nexus phone and now with the news of the LG Nexus 4 i'm psyched but a bit disappointed. I really wanted a 5inch+ screen. But hey you can't make everyone happy. Now the question is, will there be more Nexus phones to be announced in the coming months? I would hate to drop $400+ for a phone that 4.7inches and have a 5.5inch Nexus phone come out in the following months. I guess we'll have to wait until October 29th for now...but what is everyone going to do? Go for the LG or wait it out and see if something else releases in the new year?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so, promoting 2 nexus phones without much difference would be hard.

They could put up one with a 4.7"+ screen and one with 4.3ish smaller phone with really good form factor. Grab both the big phone and small phone market. Put same hardware minus screen in each.

I don't see it happening, but it would be awesome and possibly very lucrative for them. There are no big name smaller phones these days...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nbieter

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A lower spec'd Nexus Phone would be really inexpensive to sell on the play store however. The small Nexus Phone could be priced at like 250 dollars and begin to be competitive with the other flagships from a software perspective...

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't it said that there is 5 nexus products coming out before years end? Unless they are all tablets wouldn't that statement mean multiple phones?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The rumor I heard was the flagship status was going away and the nexus program was going to be a certification program that any manufacturer can get in on. Rumored devices were the xperia nexus, HTC nexus 5, LG Optimus Nexus, and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2, but already the rumored Galaxy Nexus 2 has been confirmed to not be a nexus at all but rather a touchwiz phone with some gnex parts.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It would be fair to have more than 1 nexus. Have a gsm nexus and a CDMA nexus. I highly doubt Verizon will get the lg nexus. But who knows. Maybe we will hear some good news soon. Until then, back to the rumors.

We already have the nexus 7 and nexus Q. And the nexus 10in will be "next year" so that leaves us with a chance at 3nexus phones. Sony HTC and LG. What ever happens I hope the nexus get a lot of advertisements. Sweet commercials like the s3 and iPhone and n7. Not the lame android 4.0 commercials

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The rumor I heard was the flagship status was going away and the nexus program was going to be a certification program that any manufacturer can get in on. Rumored devices were the xperia nexus, HTC nexus 5, LG Optimus Nexus, and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2, but already the rumored Galaxy Nexus 2 has been confirmed to not be a nexus at all but rather a touchwiz phone with some gnex parts.

This "certification" to me doesn't make much sense. Why would Samsung even consider making a phone with stock when their touchwiz sales are doing so well? Its not like the Nexus name is premium outside of the Android fans. So what would make it special to be part of this program. Can't they just release a phone now with stock if they wanted to and not have to do with their skins.

The skins give them unique-ness and the ability to differentiate....if they all just make hardware than it'll be hard to sell one phone over the other and I'm almost positive Samsung doesn't want to go down that road right now with how well their sales are.

I don't buy the multiple Nexus devices argument either.....Google has hard enough time getting their Galaxy out there on networks and have good sales and you think they will drop 4 more phone options in there spending more money and more resources on keeping these things fully stock and updates on time? That would mean that there would be something like.....5 phones time 5(4 carriers plus unlocked)25 different phones to test during OS drops plus the current galaxy Nexus multiple different things.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but Google does a lot of things that don't make sense.(Nexus Q) I just don't see them accomplishing anything with 5 different devices, its competition with itself and Google may have the money to do it but I don't see it turning profitable and somewhat of a pointless venture to go down if you ask me.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well assuming it's true it's probably to give the consumer more choice. Some people want large screens some don't. Some prefer Samsung, some prefer htc. Also I could see a pricing tier too.

Also there aren't enough aosp based devices out there and the update problem and carrier customizations are frustrating. My phone came out after the nexus and for the most part its superior hardware wise but it's never going to see an update past ics and aosp isn't possible because of the ril being locked to at&t based roms. Having multiple nexus can allivate these problems

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well assuming it's true it's probably to give the consumer more choice. Some people want large screens some don't. Some prefer Samsung, some prefer htc. Also I could see a pricing tier too.

Also there aren't enough aosp based devices out there and the update problem and carrier customizations are frustrating. My phone came out after the nexus and for the most part its superior hardware wise but it's never going to see an update past ics and aosp isn't possible because of the ril being locked to at&t based roms. Having multiple nexus can allivate these problems

It sure can, but it also opens up a whole nother can of worms. Can Google rly update all these devices quickly enough, will it not piss off all their partners having them in direct competition, and more importantly how do you make money when you are splitting profits between the maker, Google, and the carrier?

I can see how multiple devices are great for us, What I don't see is how it would benefit the average consumer, Google, phone carriers, and every phone maker out there.

Even with 5 Nexii phones, You can't please everybody. No phone is perfect. Even if you make 5 of them.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well it's all rumors at this point, time will tell. Obviously google doesn't care too much about multiple manufacturers or otherwise the nexus 7 probably would of been built by Samsung. It is a fact the average consumer doesn't care about how easy a phone is to root, nor do they care about updates.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/articles/rumors/googles-nexus-program-that-wasnt-r1171

Looks like the certification program is all bogus. We might still see a few different phones but as far as letting anyone make a nexus its bogus. Makes sense really, I mean how could google possibly update say 20 different models? At some point the manufacturer would take over and it would just be a carrier phone

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont see a really cheap nexus happening. I mean, unlocked nexus' are cheap as it is. I do want to see a Big Nexus (4.6-4.8 inches) and a Small Nexus (4-4.3 Inches). It would be nice if they had similar Specs (HD screens, same camera, same processor), but I doubt that. I'd buy the Smaller one in a heartbeat, assuming it wasnt completely outdated.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah if there's any truth to it then it'll be specifically for offering nexuses at different price points. It won't be a certification program. It'll work as it does now with Google partnering with manufacturers and calling all the shots

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000