Jumping on the NEXUS 10 wagon?

Will you get the Nexus 10?

• Total voters

Irontheater

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So, earlier today, with reports/rumors coming in talking about the possibility of having a 10" Nexus 300 ppi Tablet 300, with Samsung, made me think.

I am usually the person who immediately ignores tablets, redeeming them useless. But with time, I have seen the advantages it might give me.

With MS's Surface in sight, I think that's something I could consider getting.
But I honestly don't feel like getting a device with Win RT, a platform which no one knows how it will fare in the market. Plus, I personally prefer Google's mobile services compared to MS's.
As for the Surface Pro with Full Windows 8, can't say I am very fond of paying 1000+ $ to get a diet laptop (specially seeing I travel a lot, and I am a gamer, so all my gaming is done on my laptop. It's better to save up and buy a good gaming laptop every 2 years than getting a hybrid Tablet/laptop which cannot provide me with enough gaming flex).

I am also not a big fan of Apple. I have literally Zero stuff invested in the Apple ecosystem (yes, I have never even downloaded iTunes, not even once, on any of my PCs). Plus, I don't like a lot where they seem to be heading with their OS's looks and feelings. (plus Maps, which are a huge thing for me seeing I almost have no idea where I am 50% of the time).

So, as much as people are redeeming Android's Tablets "dead", and after thinking rationally, I came up to the answer: Android currently has the Tablet I want.

Now, still to answer: Do I really need a tablet, and will an Android tablet be enough to provide me with 8-9 hours of on screen time + 2-5 hours of music on Wireless ? Cannot answer that, but I think I will have access to recharge at least once every 2 hours, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is 10" really enough?
I would be "downgrading" from a 15" Laptop, and that's disturbing me a bit. Not that I ever use the whole 15" of my screen, ever, but it's always nice to be able to see more than what you need.

Will I be able to do all of my work on it?
Most of the work I go through is on pen and paper (call me old styled if you will), but it will inevitably be used to view documents (lots and lots of them), PDF for starters, .doc and .docx comes afterwards. There is Open Office of Android, which is very nice.
And then there are file extensions which even the creator of the document has no idea how to open them, and where I actually spend long periods of time searching online to find a suited program. But that's pretty rare. I guess I can't open these type of things on an Android tablet... RIGHT ? (... confirmation? )

Now, why Nexus 10?
I personally prefer Vanilla Android, and Google seems to be doing an excellent job towards quality control, and keeping prices down. Plus, constant updates!
As much as the Transformer was a nice piece of hardware, it's still Asus, playing alone, and indeed, the longevity quality on these things seem to be a fair bit disappointing.

Nexus 10 also has 3G... But
What does that mean for me
? Do I have to buy another SIM card and use it exclusively for my tablet, with no ability to make phone calls? Will I not be able to use my existing SIM card (which I got on contract, if it matters) on my Nexus 10? Will I be able to "bind" the devices so that they run off 3G from the same SIM, even though the SIM is only in 1 device?
Can I run 3G on 2 different hardware, with only 1 SIM?

Finally, tell me what you guys think about it. I would really like to hear you out seeing I haven't really made my decisions yet (and honestly, if it costs over 500$, I will pass).
Would you get it when it's out? Would you really think it's usefull ...?

Last edited:

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Iron!
I've also been considering the nexus 10, and by considering i mean, im definitely getting it lol. Since the ipad and first couple of tablets came out i have been wanting to get one, completely aware of how nobody really needs one at all. I want one because i fly about 14 times a year and as portable as my hp envy 14 laptop is, if im backpacking it takes up half my backpack! People say android tablets are dead blabla...no.screw that. The only problem is nobody has done them right...I mean, the galaxy note 10.1 is good,the nexus 7 is great, but what else? perhaps the transformer infinity. But every other table can pretty much give up already, in my opinion.
I'm preordering the nexus 10 as soon as i can, i've been waiting on a convincing android tablet since the beginning and I'm finally on board with one.
I wouldn't use a tablet for work primarily, at least not if i have to type a lot.
Tablets are pretty much for convenience and entertainment, think about that :p

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
and, i dont know if there will be a 3G variant. But as for your question on being able to use one sim card for both, i dont think you can do that. But theres a quick fix to that if you can't, tether inernet from your phone onto your tablet and voila.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends how much it costs. Though I love the size and portability of my Nexus 7. The gf wants an iPad, I told her to wait because Google will be releasing something better soon, I'll try and convince her to buy this so I can play with it too :)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Definitely interested, my only concern is the rumored manufacturer: Samsung

After seeing their (pathetic) Note 10.1 offering, I'm really skeptical as to how this Nexus 10 tablet will look and feel. Samsung clearly have the ability to produce great LCD screens and great internal hardware, but they really struggle aesthetically (their tabs look horrid with the speakers on the front) and build quality (you'd think Samsung had their own recycling plant with the amount of plastic builds they use on their products).

I'd like Google to have much more input in the device than Samsung. I do think it could be something incredible, and if the price is right (and the device itself isn't Samsung'd) then I'll get it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If it was asus(or most anyone else) that was rumored to be making it I would be much more excited. I have always found samsung tablets over priced and extremely poor performing for all the hype that goes with them. I have not touched one yet that didn't lag like a champ. And even with Google doing the software, not much above mediocre can be said samsung's design and build quality.

As long as it has high res and great specs it will do well though. Preferably front facing speakers as well...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the Asus Transformer Prime and love it. It's very nice and is practically a nexus device. Asus has been awesome with updates. I have had Jelly bean for a couple of weeks now and it had smoothed things out a lot. Plus you get the keyboard which gives the extra battery, you can plug in a mouse and get the Tegra games.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely interested, my only concern is the rumored manufacturer: Samsung

After seeing their (pathetic) Note 10.1 offering, I'm really skeptical as to how this Nexus 10 tablet will look and feel. Samsung clearly have the ability to produce great LCD screens and great internal hardware, but they really struggle aesthetically (their tabs look horrid with the speakers on the front) and build quality (you'd think Samsung had their own recycling plant with the amount of plastic builds they use on their products).

I'd like Google to have much more input in the device than Samsung. I do think it could be something incredible, and if the price is right (and the device itself isn't Samsung'd) then I'll get it.

I don't mean to start an argument or anything lol, just want to start with THAT. :p
Although perhaps you are more interested in the aesthetics of a tablet and thats why you have an issue with the speakers on the front, I actually think they're a great idea. Having speakers on the bottom like the iPad seems ridiculous to me! A tablet is ,realisitcally,primarily for entertainment and media. So having speakers that face you makes the most sense to me!

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
You are a gamer yet you think more of the games you play on your laptop will be playable on a Nexus than on a surface tablet? That's sort of interesting logic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Irontheater

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
You are a gamer yet you think more of the games you play on your laptop will be playable on a Nexus than on a surface tablet? That's sort of interesting logic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No, it's actually a gaming laptop. I just don't want to pay 1000+$ for a Win 8 Pro tablet that will eventually be unable to run any of my games.

I have the Asus Transformer Prime and love it. It's very nice and is practically a nexus device. Asus has been awesome with updates. I have had Jelly bean for a couple of weeks now and it had smoothed things out a lot. Plus you get the keyboard which gives the extra battery, you can plug in a mouse and get the Tegra games.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Thank you. One of the stuff that made me consider the Surface for a bit was mouse support. But since it's possible to have a mouse for an Android tablet, everything's good :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463