1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

Default Future Smartphone Specs

I was just wondering due to the fact that my phone seems as responsive as my desktop (i3 with 4GB DDR3) and in some cases faster, will we see 3GHz and 4GB RAM in our phones? What will we be doing with our phones that needs that kind of horse power? Android has to eventually hit the wall with how fast it can possibly be and will be in need of some killer app that requires that processing power. What do you think that feature will be?

Just felt like starting a discussion.
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

Default Re: Future Smartphone Specs

i think that the CPU races are pretty pointless at this stage. its not like Android apps are very CPU intensive and more cores just ends up hurting battery life. basically all of the hardware upgrades seem to go towards making the UI faster/smoother and not so much making apps run faster. imo, RAM should be the main focus instead of increasing the number cores

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    i think that the CPU races are pretty pointless at this stage. its not like Android apps are very CPU intensive and more cores just ends up hurting battery life. basically all of the hardware upgrades seem to go towards making the UI faster/smoother and not so much making apps run faster. imo, RAM should be the main focus instead of increasing the number cores
    I agree about the ram, but more cores does not necessarily mean less battery life. Especially under moderate to heavy loading.

Multitasking, adding features, and responsiveness should be the overall focus from now on.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

I kind of have to agree, too. Just continue to tweak the OS and slow down on the hardware arms race. Maybe encourage more devs to write their apps with multi cores in mind. I was just playing with my girlfriend's EVO 4G (The original with Sense) and was quite surprised to find how snappy it still is, even compared to my Sensation (CM10.)
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

64-bit ARM and there 2GHz yet to cross

I kind of have to agree, too. Just continue to tweak the OS and slow down on the hardware arms race. Maybe encourage more devs to write their apps with multi cores in mind. I was just playing with my girlfriend's EVO 4G (The original with Sense) and was quite surprised to find how snappy it still is, even compared to my Sensation (CM10.)
    Since Honeycomb there require to do networking on seperate thread. Lot of things are done in sperate thread, thing is multithreading it's not so easy as people think, biggest problem is fact that you can't direcly modify UI from other thread then main one, so in general all you can do on sperate threads is some processing while UI doing it's work on single core.
    Last edited by Shadowriver; 10-24-2012 at 07:24 AM.