Motorola DROID 5 news/information?

RebelT513

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
With the specs on the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II coming out yesterday and being underwhelming (as a "power" device), it pretty well seals that the Moto DROID is the only line of top-end devices with a physical keyboard for Verizon users. I currently have a DROID 3 with a cracked screen due to my own stupidity, and I've been holding off on replacing it in hopes of a DROID 5 coming out.

However, I cannot find anything at all about it. I mean, not even a mention anywhere of it being a possibility, which is strange compared to the previous released of the DROID line---and yes, I know that was a "change" that was rumored awhile back.

Anyways, enough of my rambling...has anyone heard anything about a DROID 5, or what the next high-end QWERTY-slider for Verizon is going to be?

Thanks in advance!

Creyu

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been waiting for news on this too!
I love my 4, and will try my best to hold out until it really needs to be replaced (had gotten 1,3,5 all the months they were released :-[). My boyfriend however is still using his Droid 2 and doesn't want to get the 4 if the 5 ends up coming out soon. He doesn't like the size of the 4, so I'm hoping they tweak the 5 down to a size comparable to the 2... Here's to hoping!

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to remember when rumors of the D4 started coming out before it's February launch.

Up to now, I haven't heard a single murmur about a new Moto QWERTY. This dissappoints me, as I know Moto makes the best sliders since the OG Droid. If I was waiting on a new slider, I'd think that there is still chance that it will be announced at CTIA or MWC early next year.

bradables

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The first Droid 4 rumors I saw were in late September early October last year and were pointing at a late December launch, which got pushed off to February. I'm worried with the current way of thinking that "the world has moved on and we should all just get used to tapping on the glass instead of the feel of the keys" that the new Google/Motorola engineers may not be planning to bring us a 5th Droid. On the other hand maybe they are working on making the next one stand out like the first Droid did and we'll be glad they have waited on the release.

The droid 4 is pretty good though and much better than the 3 with 4g speed. I ended up getting one used off ebay in mint condition for about $350, I think they've come down some now.

abhishek0990

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The first Droid 4 rumors I saw were in late September early October last year and were pointing at a late December launch, which got pushed off to February. I'm worried with the current way of thinking that "the world has moved on and we should all just get used to tapping on the glass instead of the feel of the keys" that the new Google/Motorola engineers may not be planning to bring us a 5th Droid. On the other hand maybe they are working on making the next one stand out like the first Droid did and we'll be glad they have waited on the release.

The droid 4 is pretty good though and much better than the 3 with 4g speed. I ended up getting one used off ebay in mint condition for about $350, I think they've come down some now.

yes correct. what you said i m agree with it.

RebelT513

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I sincerely hope that the Google/Motorola braintrust really IS going for a device that will blow us all away with the DROID 5, but frankly I'm not optimistic. With the DROID 3 early adopters coming up for upgrade very soon, it would behoove them to get word out about what their plans are sooner rather than later, I think.

I played with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 the other day, and Moto has a long way to go to make a DROID 5 that would compare to that. I've been a die-hard physical keyboard guy since the Treo days, and the Note2 would get me to switch in a heartbeat....unless something striking comes along.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting for news on this too!
I love my 4, and will try my best to hold out until it really needs to be replaced (had gotten 1,3,5 all the months they were released :-[). My boyfriend however is still using his Droid 2 and doesn't want to get the 4 if the 5 ends up coming out soon. He doesn't like the size of the 4, so I'm hoping they tweak the 5 down to a size comparable to the 2... Here's to hoping!

I don't see them going with a screen smaller than 4 inches.

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. If 4.7" is the new standard, and they managed to fit 4.3" on the RAZR M, odds are we'll see a phone similar to that

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

qtpietruitt

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I keep wondering if this device is coming out anytime soon... has anyone noticed how little Droid 4 accessories are available? Also when I ask about them (at Verizon) they push me towards the RAZR or RAZR MAXX... If I didnt want a keyboard I would purchased a RAZR MAXX but I am NOT touch-screen friendly... Also why I dont have an I Phone even tho my entire house is mac....:mad:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I know those of us that prefer a physical keyboard are a very small minority. It will get harder for Motorola to justify the business case for developing, building & supporting a slider. I, for one, hope there is one more slider coming from Moto. I love my D4. It is a great phone with a mediocre screen, but with ICS now & JB comment, it will stay relevant for at least another 12 months. I believe the current RAZR HD's & M/I are the last of the pre Google purchase phones. I think think there may have been plans to put out a D5 based on the RAZR HD hardware, but it was cancelled. I believe there are some amazing phones in the works at Moto. Top spec hardware & innovative design. I hope the D5 is in there too. Hopefully CES will give us a hint of what's to come from Moto.

Rastor

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Welp, CES came and went with no Droid 5.

MWC is February 25-28 and CTIA is May 21-23.

If Jellybean gets released for the Photon Q and Sprint rolls out LTE in my area I may need to settle for picking up one of those.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I keep wondering if this device is coming out anytime soon... has anyone noticed how little Droid 4 accessories are available? Also when I ask about them (at Verizon) they push me towards the RAZR or RAZR MAXX... If I didnt want a keyboard I would purchased a RAZR MAXX but I am NOT touch-screen friendly... Also why I dont have an I Phone even tho my entire house is mac....:mad:

Motorola was in the process of streamlining the accessories.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I REALLY wanted a Droid 4 back when I bought my Razr Maxx. My problem was it just felt like it was a little old even when it was introduced. The Keyboard looked amazing but everything else just seemed a little behind. I have been hoping ever since that the 5 would be a homerun. I wont buy it because I love my S3 but I have high hopes that not only does the Droid line continue with a physical keyboard, but that it continues to be top of the line in hardware and software.

Rastor

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I found out Sprint has 4G LTE in my area so I went ahead and got a Photon Q. It's pretty nice and I'm happy with it, but of course now that I pulled the trigger I just heard a rumor about the Droid 5.

If the rumor is true, it will be released around the time of MWC at the end of February. It will have Jellybean 4.1 preloaded, and will be a lot like a Photon Q but with a spec bump:
Screen: 540p -> 720p
Battery: 1785 mAh -> 2300 mAh
RAM: 1GB -> 2GB
Storage: 8GB -> 16GB

Seems plausible, but it's just a rumor so it could just be a fan's wishlist.

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I just heard a rumor about the Droid 5.

As much as I'd love to believe that rumor, I wouldn't bet on it. I haven't heard anything similar posted anywhere else, and the $99 on contract for a freshly released Droid 5 seems unlikely. I've also heard on hofo that there wouldn't be a Moto slider this year, and the "DansDroid" post in the above mentioned moto forum backs the hofo response. (DansDroid, though he says he doesn't represent Moto, does have some connection to them. If I recall correctly, he headed up the Droid 4 ICS deployment for the early test release.)

Rastor

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I did feel that $99 for a new phone seems unlikely, and 720p in only a 4.3" screen seems unlikely. Maybe my Photon Q will turn out to be last of the breed?

TheHeroFromDOOM

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I will say one thing if this is true and the droid 5 turns out to be a high end handset I'll be switch from at&t to verizon just to get this phone. I cant wait. Any new news on this?