Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jnorton2724
  • 1 Post By arcoms
  • 1 Post By Nakrohtap
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    apcman's Avatar

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

    Default Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I was wondering when are new Moto phones coming out that google had a hand in making. Has there been any leaks or info on upcoming moto phones that were either in the pipeline before google or post google take over. I like Moto phones, but I was hoping for a Moto phone with quad core, 2 gigs ram, and high end display, but alas there are none. I was just wondering when we can start expecting the next wave of Moto super phones.
  2. #2  
    MERCDROID's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by apcman View Post
    I was wondering when are new Moto phones coming out that google had a hand in making. Has there been any leaks or info on upcoming moto phones that were either in the pipeline before google or post google take over. I like Moto phones, but I was hoping for a Moto phone with quad core, 2 gigs ram, and high end display, but alas there are none. I was just wondering when we can start expecting the next wave of Moto super phones.
    Next year, for sure. The Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD were already in the pipeline before the merger, so there was no need in trying to change them to compete with other quad core phones. That said, it will be interesting to see what Moto releases after the holidays. I wonder if we will get another Droid phone? Or maybe 2013 will be the year of a Moto Nexus. In any case, I can't wait until CES nedt year. We should definitely see some interesting stuff next year. But like you, I HATE WAITING!!!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    That is my hope as well. I really like the direction the new line of RAZR phones are going (as far as the minimal skin, AND their new commitment to updates), but I feel like, (and have read from many reviews) that the line is essentially a catch-up phone to get on par with this year's hardware. They aren't really "future-proofed" for the upcoming year because they don't really push the envelope and bring anything new to the table like the SIII or DNA did.

    I have seen one or two murmurs in the comments sections of Droid-Life and Engadget that Moto MIGHT have something substantial for CTIA or MWC. Can anyone second these rumors? At least so I know I'm not the only one who's heard them? If they have a TRUE flagship for us by then, I have NO problem waiting. But if the RAZR HD line is the only substantial thing Moto has given us for the next year, then I may have to settle and buy again next winter. Or maybe I should just get a DNA.

    GAH! I want to see Moto get back on the map like Sammy is and HTC is trying to do with their superb-build phones.
  4. #4  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I'm thinking Feb/March. But it was probably in the pipeline before Google control.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I think the LG Nexus will be the flagship Google phone until holidays next year Nov. 2013 then we will see a Motorola Nexus. Why would Google have two different flagship Nexus phones?
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    I think the LG Nexus will be the flagship Google phone until holidays next year Nov. 2013 then we will see a Motorola Nexus. Why would Google have two different flagship Nexus phones?
    They have two different "flagship" Nexus tablets right now.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    They have two different "flagship" Nexus tablets right now.
    Nexus 10 is the premium tablet so it would be the flagship. I don't think anyone considers the Nexus 7 a flagship tablet considering its older and targeted for mass appeal with the low price point. It was their flagship tablet before Nexus 10. I just think it would be weird having two Nexus phones in a single year and trying to sell them both as flagship phones because everyone would consider the Nexus 4 to be the older version. Google has already branded this Nexus 4 as their new flagship smartphone so I'd expect this phone until next year around November. Seeing a Motorola Nexus would be nice though, I've always liked Motorola phones.
  8. #8  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Nexus 10 is the premium tablet so it would be the flagship. I don't think anyone considers the Nexus 7 a flagship tablet considering its older and targeted for mass appeal with the low price point. It was their flagship tablet before Nexus 10. I just think it would be weird having two Nexus phones in a single year and trying to sell them both as flagship phones because everyone would consider the Nexus 4 to be the older version. Google has already branded this Nexus 4 as their new flagship smartphone so I'd expect this phone until next year around November. Seeing a Motorola Nexus would be nice though, I've always liked Motorola phones.
    So if the Nexus 10 is the flagship tablet while the Nexus 4 is for the mass-market, and the Nexus 4 is the flagship phone - should there be a mass-market phone?
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    So if the Nexus 10 is the flagship tablet while the Nexus 4 is for the mass-market, and the Nexus 4 is the flagship phone - should there be a mass-market phone?
    They could do that and I could see them making the Motorola nexus more expensive including things like LTE and more storage space. Maybe they are doing the same as they did with the Nexus 7 and putting out the cheaper phone first then releasing another Nexus phone later in 2013. I just don't see what else the could really add to justify and completely different phone beside what I've already listed. What do you think they could add to a Motorola Nexus to make it more appealing then the LG Nexus 4 if it releases in the near future?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    So if the Nexus 10 is the flagship tablet while the Nexus 4 is for the mass-market, and the Nexus 4 is the flagship phone - should there be a mass-market phone?
    I think you guys are making the word "flagship" more of an issue than it has to be. First of all, I don't think Google would want to push out a second Nexus phone because it would cannibalize the sales of the already super specced and competitively priced Nexus 4. Unless they planned on doing a cheaper model to sell at $200 or less without contract which would not really be a great idea because performance would be less than stellar. In terms of tablets, both the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 are Google's "flagship" in their respective categories. The 10" and 7" tablets are VERY different markets, as evidenced by the fact that some people have even decided to have one of each.

    At the end of the day, what Google is trying to create with the Nexus line is a brand where consumers can find the pure Google experience Android device in each category they might need. They don't NEED to have a flagship and I think as consumers, we've become too obsessed with that term.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by arcoms View Post
    I think you guys are making the word "flagship" more of an issue than it has to be. First of all, I don't think Google would want to push out a second Nexus phone because it would cannibalize the sales of the already super specced and competitively priced Nexus 4. Unless they planned on doing a cheaper model to sell at $200 or less without contract which would not really be a great idea because performance would be less than stellar. In terms of tablets, both the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 are Google's "flagship" in their respective categories. The 10" and 7" tablets are VERY different markets, as evidenced by the fact that some people have even decided to have one of each.

    At the end of the day, what Google is trying to create with the Nexus line is a brand where consumers can find the pure Google experience Android device in each category they might need. They don't NEED to have a flagship and I think as consumers, we've become too obsessed with that term.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I personally think having two Nexus phones would cannibalize the sales of the current Nexus 4. Yes the 10" and 7" are completely different markets but that makes a lot more sense in the tablet market then having two "flagship" smartphones.
    arcoms likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by arcoms View Post
    At the end of the day, what Google is trying to create with the Nexus line is a brand where consumers can find the pure Google experience Android device in each category they might need. They don't NEED to have a flagship and I think as consumers, we've become too obsessed with that term.
    Without a doubt the category that they need to deliver in is an LTE phone for US users. Just a question of whether that will be a new SKU of the LG Nexus, or a completely new Moto phone. I've seen nothing at all to suggest it would be the latter.

    But on the other hand, any new Moto device is likely to be pretty close to stock, so once they get next-gen devices on Sprint and AT&T those would likely be compelling alternatives to the Nexus.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I agree. I still think many want an lte device or even a cdma device for that matter. You can't alienate that many customers unless google just does not care about the phone being in peoples hands. Honestly I would take a verizon lte nexus even if it took longer for updates. Its a nexus it would have a huge developer following regardless.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I agree. I still think many want an lte device or even a cdma device for that matter. You can't alienate that many customers unless google just does not care about the phone being in peoples hands. Honestly I would take a verizon lte nexus even if it took longer for updates. Its a nexus it would have a huge developer following regardless.
    I completely agree with that, but Google is in a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" position. There's been such a negative reaction towards them in regards to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Sprint Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus that I don't blame them for hesitating to do that again. And the messed up part is, it's not even Google's fault that those devices take longer to receive the updates, it's the network provider (Verizon especially. I've been very pleased with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus and the 4.2 update didn't take nearly as long as if I had been on a Sense, TouchWiz or Blur device). I just think it's BS that the providers make Google jump through hoops and barrels to get the updates pushed out, yet for Apple's updates they don't.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Premium1 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by arcoms View Post
    I completely agree with that, but Google is in a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" position. There's been such a negative reaction towards them in regards to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Sprint Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus that I don't blame them for hesitating to do that again. And the messed up part is, it's not even Google's fault that those devices take longer to receive the updates, it's the network provider (Verizon especially. I've been very pleased with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus and the 4.2 update didn't take nearly as long as if I had been on a Sense, TouchWiz or Blur device). I just think it's BS that the providers make Google jump through hoops and barrels to get the updates pushed out, yet for Apple's updates they don't.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Plus being cdma causes it to take longer. I think if it wouldn't have been with the ton of issues that the galaxy nexus had, updates would have been an after thought but with the reception and battery issues among others made it worse
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Moto needs a true flag ship phone. The razr HD wasn't even top of the line when it launched. They need a phone that is in a league of their own to gain back customers. I would switch back to them if they had top of the line specs and not coming or months after a competitor has a phone with better specs months before you ala s3 compared to RAZR hd
  17. #17  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by arcoms View Post
    I completely agree with that, but Google is in a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" position. There's been such a negative reaction towards them in regards to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Sprint Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus that I don't blame them for hesitating to do that again. And the messed up part is, it's not even Google's fault that those devices take longer to receive the updates, it's the network provider (Verizon especially. I've been very pleased with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus and the 4.2 update didn't take nearly as long as if I had been on a Sense, TouchWiz or Blur device). I just think it's BS that the providers make Google jump through hoops and barrels to get the updates pushed out, yet for Apple's updates they don't.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Mainstream consumers weren't complaining about things like OS updates.

    If anything, they were complaining about the perception that Samsung has crappy cellular radios.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  18. #18  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    Without a doubt the category that they need to deliver in is an LTE phone for US users. Just a question of whether that will be a new SKU of the LG Nexus, or a completely new Moto phone. I've seen nothing at all to suggest it would be the latter.

    But on the other hand, any new Moto device is likely to be pretty close to stock, so once they get next-gen devices on Sprint and AT&T those would likely be compelling alternatives to the Nexus.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Are you telling me that the U.S. carrier versions of the Galaxy S3 are outdated because they're not quadcore S4 Pros?
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  19. #19  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    885 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    The OG Droid was not a Nexus and had a great dev following because they didn't have an encrypted bootloader and stock Android.
    How about releasing a stock Android phone? It doesn't need to be called a Nexus.
    Open up the bootloader unlock program like other carriers do. Give people and choice. They may be surprised at how many of the stock Android phones that they would sell.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    DC Damien likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    The OG Droid was not a Nexus and had a great dev following because they didn't have an encrypted bootloader and stock Android.
    How about releasing a stock Android phone? It doesn't need to be called a Nexus.
    Open up the bootloader unlock program like other carriers do. Give people and choice. They may be surprised at how many of the stock Android phones that they would sell.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Even if they unlocked the bootloader, their skin is pretty close to stock but they lock and encrypt their devices which really limits the Dev interest
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Even if they unlocked the bootloader, their skin is pretty close to stock but they lock and encrypt their devices which really limits the Dev interest
    It makes me wonder though how much of that is Motorola's decision and how much of it is Verizon. Honestly, Verizon is the Apple of the network providers; they have a great product but they think they should have total control of every aspect of the consumer experience. It happens with lots of their devices not just Motorola ones (I'm pretty sure there was a big fuss about a recent Samsung phone having to release a "developer" edition because Verizon demanded that it have a locked and encrypted bootloader.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Upcoming Moto/Google Phones

    I don't see Google doing anything with Motorola in the near future. They were bought for their patents, the company that came along with them was probably an afterthought.

    If they did, it would show favoritism. I am sure that moto has to go through the same bid process to make nexus phones as everyone else. Compliance issues could arise if not. Moto may have even avoided making the Nexus. Just because Google owns them, does not mean they try to control them at all. Still 2 completely separate companies.

    Plus moto has not come up with something more than mediocre in what, 2 years now? Everything they put out is on par with or under everything else. What was the last thing they did that pushed the envelope? Put a fat batter in a phone? Lol

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung confirms upcoming Google phone will be Nexus Prime
    By Zorachus in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
  2. Dual-Mode Google Phone coming later! CDMA/GSM/HSPA capable!
    By 6tr6tr in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 01:02 AM
  3. Droid owners feelings about possible "Google Phone."
    By stefanl in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 06:19 PM
  4. How is the rumored 'Google Phone' different?
    By johnatthebar in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
  5. Google phone is fake...WTF?
    By kerimh40 in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions