Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    Here's a rumor to ponder: Apparent Specs for a Droid RAZR M HD Leak Out; Is This Phone Real? | Android Headlines - Android News, Phones, Tablets, Apps, Reviews, Rumors

    If it's real, what do you guys think? It'll probably be considered a mid-range device because it won't be a 5", 1080 hd phone and only has 1 MB of RAM, but the overall specs are pretty good. And you have to like the 3300 mAh battery...... if it's real.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    I'd probably be happy with that. Although I'm considering jumping ship to the Blackberry Z10 (4.2in screen). The specs also seem somewhat mid-ranged for a 2013 device, but I've read a lot of good things about it. I'm hesitant to go back to BB though.
  2. #27  
    KPCallahan's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    6.7.2233 ICS leak

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Well if the rumors are true the Razr M HD could only be 4.5 inches. Could be worse? But yes I don't think we'll see one of those until companies decide that smaller smartphones are the next "big" thing.
    - "I'm too weird to live, but much too rare to die." - A7X.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I'd be more interested if it stayed the same size as the current RAZR M/i.
    Ditto.

    Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini
  4. #29  
    JonCBK's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    It has nothing to do with companies thinking that only large screens will sell. The problem is that the manufacturers can't get top of the line specs and good battery life into any smaller a form factor. Of course there is a market for smaller smart phones. The companies know it. They just can't do it that tight and still make enough of a profit. Manufacturing all that stuff that tight is expensive and hard. And remember you need that big battery or else forget about it.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonCBK View Post
    It has nothing to do with companies thinking that only large screens will sell. The problem is that the manufacturers can't get top of the line specs and good battery life into any smaller a form factor. Of course there is a market for smaller smart phones. The companies know it. They just can't do it that tight and still make enough of a profit. Manufacturing all that stuff that tight is expensive and hard. And remember you need that big battery or else forget about it.
    I believe the iPhone 5 is evidence that is contrary to most of your argument, except perhaps the difficulty of producing it. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have great battery life, a great screen, and it is very thin. I'm sure an android OEM could do it.
  6. #31  
    JonCBK's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    I believe the iPhone 5 is evidence that is contrary to most of your argument, except perhaps the difficulty of producing it. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have great battery life, a great screen, and it is very thin. I'm sure an android OEM could do it.
    No they can't because the android OEM doesn't know they will sell 20+ million for $600+ dollars each. Apple can do stuff even Samsung cant do because Apple knows it is getting $10 billion in revenue, minimum, on its new iPhone. Has any one Android handset done that? And is success like that guaranteed? The GSIII is awesome, but did Samsung know it was a hit before it started designing it? The other guys sometimes have hits and sometimes they have failures. So they have to protect against a failure. Apple knows, right now, that IPhone 7 will sell at least 10s of millions. It might even be projecting 100 million in sales before it is discontinued. And that is before they have done any design.
    So this allows them to push the hardware farther, the manufacturers harder, they can do more r&d, because the payoff is, to a certain extent, guaranteed. Even if an android manufacturer is certain they are going to make a great phone. They can't be sure that someone else isn't going to make just as good a phone and then they will have to compete on price. Apple has, in some ways, no competition and it knows it won't have any competition this year, next year or anytime in the near future.
    Thanked by:
    NTheZone321 likes this.
  7. #32  

    Default Odp: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    I believe the iPhone 5 is evidence that is contrary to most of your argument, except perhaps the difficulty of producing it. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have great battery life, a great screen, and it is very thin. I'm sure an android OEM could do it.
    That might be reason why iPhone still dont have quad core and always have under clocked cpu, it pays price of its size too.

    Most oems produce small version of android phones, but most people dont care. They got there own path of evolution
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    That might be reason why iPhone still dont have quad core and always have under clocked cpu, it pays price of its size too.

    Most oems produce small version of android phones, but most people dont care. They got there own path of evolution
    What does it matter that the iPhone doesn't have a quad core cpu? It runs VERY smoothly, hardly ever a stutter. What would it need a quad core cpu for?
  9. #34  

    Default Odp: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    What does it matter that the iPhone doesn't have a quad core cpu? It runs VERY smoothly, hardly ever a stutter. What would it need a quad core cpu for?


    More effective multithreading? ; p going with latest trands?
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    More effective multithreading? ; p going with latest trands?
    The purpose of multithreading is to increase performance, is it not? If performance is already near flawless, why bother?

    Also, Apple has never been one to be caught up in the spec wars. They have the model that highly optimized software for very specific and controlled hardware will give great performance, and indeed it does. Back to the main point of this thread, if an Android OEM wanted to, they could make a small phone with great performance :-)
  11. #36  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,831 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    The purpose of multithreading is to increase performance, is it not? If performance is already near flawless, why bother?

    Also, Apple has never been one to be caught up in the spec wars. They have the model that highly optimized software for very specific and controlled hardware will give great performance, and indeed it does. Back to the main point of this thread, if an Android OEM wanted to, they could make a small phone with great performance :-)
    That's crazy talk. Prepare to be attacked by Android fanboys. lol
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    craZDude likes this.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    I really like big screens and would even go bigger than my note 2.
  13. #38  

    Default Odp: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    The purpose of multithreading is to increase performance, is it not? If performance is already near flawless, why bother?

    Also, Apple has never been one to be caught up in the spec wars. They have the model that highly optimized software for very specific and controlled hardware will give great performance, and indeed it does. Back to the main point of this thread, if an Android OEM wanted to, they could make a small phone with great performance :-)
    I think you dont know what pefermance is.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Odp: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    I'm sure you'll find many articles that explain why quad core is not necessarily better than dual core, or even single core for that matter. Don't let this chip talk get in the way of what a device's performance is. The iphone, even though I prefer android as far as software goes, is the smoothest device to date, and it takes advantage of its dual core system in ways that even many quad core phones do not. So don't let this spec race fool you. Everything in this business is about coding.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry and Good OL MC like this.
  15. #40  
    The Real X Dawg's Avatar

    Posts
    324 Posts
    ROM
    ViperOne

    Default Re: Odp: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    I'm sure you'll find many articles that explain why quad core is not necessarily better than dual core, or even single core for that matter. Don't let this chip talk get in the way of what a device's performance is. The iphone, even though I prefer android as far as software goes, is the smoothest device to date, and it takes advantage of its dual core system in ways that even many quad core phones do not. So don't let this spec race fool you. Everything in this business is about coding.
    You are very right, the iPhone is very smooth but jailbreak it and pile on the widgets and live wallpapers like an Android phone even the iPhone can show lag like some Android phones. On the flip side this old phone I'm using was very smooth (not smooth as a higher end phone of course) if I left it clean like an iPhone with just a grid of folders and icons. Of with Jelly Bean on my Infuse it's like a new phone to the point I let my girlfriend use my Note 2. Not bad for an old bird with a single core and an amazing developer.


    Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    I'm sure you'll find many articles that explain why quad core is not necessarily better than dual core, or even single core for that matter. Don't let this chip talk get in the way of what a device's performance is. The iphone, even though I prefer android as far as software goes, is the smoothest device to date, and it takes advantage of its dual core system in ways that even many quad core phones do not. So don't let this spec race fool you. Everything in this business is about coding.
    Thank you. Performance could be interpreted in various ways, but as far as smartphones go, user experience is the most important and practical way. Therefore, quad-core is not necessary for excellent performance.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    Thank you. Performance could be interpreted in various ways, but as far as smartphones go, user experience is the most important and practical way. Therefore, quad-core is not necessary for excellent performance.
    While I agree that the iphone is very smooth remember it is very limited as far as what it can do. Run no widgets or live wallpaper on a note 2 and see how smooth it is. Even reviewers are saying its caught up as far as fluidity.



    I mean I dont even lag when I run multi window. But I agree the iphone doesnt need quad core for what it does. Very smooth just too boring for me. As someone else mentioned jailbreak a iphone and let it fly. You will notice some slowed down performance. But as you stated quad core is not needed. I think a good processor is needed for android though because coming from the galaxy nexus is like night and day compared to thw gs3 and note 2. But alot of that I think is coding as well.. Samsung phones as of late have just seemed really smooth.

    ONE BAD *** NOTE 2 ON A BAD *** JELLY ☆BEANS☆ ROM
    Thanked by:
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    I completely agree! Phones are getting ridiculous these days. I am seriously thinking about going to an iPhone...

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
  19. #44  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,831 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    The future of cell phones:

    Thanked by 2:
  21. #46  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,831 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by orangeNgreen View Post
    lol
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  22. #47  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by dobermans rule View Post
    I completely agree! Phones are getting ridiculous these days. I am seriously thinking about going to an iPhone...

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    I agree you should def go to iphone. That will really punish manufacturers and stop them from making big phones that are obviously a threat to our society and life as we know it. I want you to know that I for one appreciate the sacrifice you are making for mankind. Hopefully the industry will realize that making different size phones is undermining our values.

    Thank you once again.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    People seem to forget that besides the Screen the iPhone 5 is a very average (or just below average device). It has 1gb of ram (s3 and every phone after it has 2), a 1450 mAH battery (the nexus one had a battery a similar size for comparison), and it has a processor like the qualcomm s4 (not a real cortex a15 but with 3 gpu's). This device is pretty weak (but it has a beautiful screen imo). If that isnt evidence of the difference between iOS and Android IDK what is. Sadly android phones need more power to run then iPhones do. Which is why they usually cut it short in other places (be it the s3's plastic design or the one x's less than adequate ram).
  24. #49  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,831 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by mazzmoney95 View Post
    People seem to forget that besides the Screen the iPhone 5 is a very average (or just below average device). It has 1gb of ram (s3 and every phone after it has 2), a 1450 mAH battery (the nexus one had a battery a similar size for comparison), and it has a processor like the qualcomm s4 (not a real cortex a15 but with 3 gpu's). This device is pretty weak (but it has a beautiful screen imo). If that isnt evidence of the difference between iOS and Android IDK what is. Sadly android phones need more power to run then iPhones do. Which is why they usually cut it short in other places (be it the s3's plastic design or the one x's less than adequate ram).
    People forget because those specs (RAM, processor) don't really matter to most people.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  25. #50  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

    Quote Originally Posted by mazzmoney95 View Post
    (be it the s3's plastic design ).
    that is not a cut corner that is a design just because people think that to have a aluminium body is a sign of higher quality doesnt mean thats the case. your bumper on your car is not made of metal. it may just be plastic but it is lighter sleeker and absorbs shock better then other materials. people have a perception in their mind about build quality which is just perception. you dont hear people complain about the Note2 build quality because it is heavier than the other galaxy's so they percieve it to have a better build quality despite it being the same material as the rest.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 2:
    creccaj1 and The Real X Dawg like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM
  2. What are the benefits of rooting my EVO?
    By krisrock in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. What are the pros of rooting my evo
    By osakran in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM
  4. So where are the reviews of production units???
    By Cleargrey in forum HTC Desire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 05:19 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions