Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Phones just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. What are the chances we see a couple high end Android devices that are around the size of the iPhone or Razr M? I'm talking top of the line specs, but something that can also be used comfortably with one hand.

John Campbell

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a note 2. I'd still go bigger. Not to 7 inches. But I might, if they made one. I guess I'd just have a tablet with a good smartwatch that text and took phone calls so the only time I had to pull it out of my bag was when I wanted to. And that is exactly where I see all this going.

SmartWatch | Android Watch - Sony Smartphones (US)
Sennheiser MM 100 - Bluetooth? Stereo Headset
note 2

My current set up and the form factors I see being the standard until google glass takes off

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Phones just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. What are the chances we see a couple high end Android devices that are around the size of the iPhone or Razr M? I'm talking top of the line specs, but something that can also be used comfortably with one hand.

I don't think we'll see a top end phone with top end specs with a 4.3" or smaller screen. Big screens are what most people want. Analysts predicted the Note 2 would be nothing more than a niche device but sales numbers have proved them wrong. However, I do think that you'll be able to buy what's considered a mid-range phone with a screen that size, but technology will have advanced so far that what is considered mid-range will be a good enough phone for anyone and capable of handling anything we throw at it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just took my dad shopping for his first smartphone, he thought all the android phones were just too big, got an iPhone 4s which he agrees is a little on the small side. But there is nothing out there (on Sprint) that I would recommend buying on a 2 year contract that is the size of my current phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of 1080p, spacious screens. At the same time, I'm a small guy with small hands. I have a Galaxy Nexus right now, and I was debating getting a Droid DNA for a little while.. but I think I may stick it out and see if mightyfacundo is right about those mid-range improvements. The RAZR M, in my book, is almost perfect. Just get me a slightly better quality screen and I'm good to go :)

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
... The RAZR M, in my book, is almost perfect. Just get me a slightly better quality screen and I'm good to go :)

What I don't want is, bigger than an iPhone, but with fewer pixels. And that's the situation right now with the RAZR M and HTC One S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that the RAZR M is the last stand. Such a shame though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that the RAZR M is the last stand. Such a shame though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think 4.8 is the new 4 - 4.3. 5+ will be the norm going forward.

a62335

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I will always keep my HTC Incredible 4G handy, that is the perfect sized phone in my opinion. If the screen was better, I'd have never bought the DNA. Wait, that's a lie.... But still. 4"-4.3" is the sweet spot for me.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we will. i think with how well all these larger phones are selling it is going to continue that trend and you may get a phone like the razr m but not super high end specs wise.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Look at the HTC 8X. Proof that high-end specs can come to realistically sized phones. And the rumored 4.7" 1080p HTC M7. It just takes time for technology to catch up. Stuffing a lot of pixels into a smaller physical size causes issues that need to be worked out.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

The software makes my beast usable with one hand. Technology is going to get crazy. I am due for another upgrade soon, but like you i am holding off to see what super phones come up. I am happy there are many sizes to choose from. I see these devices continuing a trend to larger sizes....but tech is better and bezels are dying off. I think there will still be a market for small phones as many people are used too that sort of thing. Is there "top of the line specs in the mobile industry?" Seems if there are, they are just vaporware until they get here, then in several months they are superseded by far better technology. I am not a waiter and always get what (sometimes I have to sacrifice for this phone addition lol) I want.....just don't forget can have a large display, and software that will enable one handed use. The size of the display has nothing to do with one handed use, no matter how bad apple wants us to believe that.

richdroidx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
IMO, 4.3-4.6 will be all mid-range devices going forward. These bigger 5+ inch screens are getting the bigger batteries and better resolutions. I saw the original note and thought it was hugeee, but after using it i fell in love instantly. now on the note 2, im already used to the screen size. its perfect and dont need any bigger. Just curious what slider phone will be the 1st to try these big screens. that market is small but still exist. to sell something smaller in screen size now, its specs would have to be alot stronger than these phablets while keeping the price down. example a 4.3 or 4.6inch 2ghz/ quad-core/1080 oled screen/3-4gb ram/ 32-64gb internal mem/15mp camera/sd slots/3300mah battery and latest os for 199 or less (not happening)

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The software makes my beast usable with one hand. Technology is going to get crazy. I am due for another upgrade soon, but like you i am holding off to see what super phones come up. I am happy there are many sizes to choose from. I see these devices continuing a trend to larger sizes....but tech is better and bezels are dying off. I think there will still be a market for small phones as many people are used too that sort of thing. Is there "top of the line specs in the mobile industry?" Seems if there are, they are just vaporware until they get here, then in several months they are superseded by far better technology. I am not a waiter and always get what (sometimes I have to sacrifice for this phone addition lol) I want.....just don't forget can have a large display, and software that will enable one handed use. The size of the display has nothing to do with one handed use, no matter how bad apple wants us to believe that.

How does the size of the display not have anything to do with one handed use? I use my S3 one handed all the time, but as soon as my friend passes me her NoteII I instantly go to holding with one hand and tapping with another. Im sure software can ease the difficulty but I think to say the display has nothing to do with one handed use is a stretch.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How does the size of the display not have anything to do with one handed use? I use my S3 one handed all the time, but as soon as my friend passes me her NoteII I instantly go to holding with one hand and tapping with another. Im sure software can ease the difficulty but I think to say the display has nothing to do with one handed use is a stretch.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Oh and apparently everyone's hands are the same exact size too. ;)

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't care as much about one hand operation as much as having a phone that will comfortably fit in a pocket .

I hope some of the new Quad Cores will be available in 4.3 to 4.5 " screen size.

I don't want to worry about the phone flexing in my pocket and don't want a belt clip.

However for someone doing a lot of computer type work on a phone- or even watching movies etc.- I have tried a Note and Note 2 and can

appreciate the larger sizes.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't care as much about one hand operation as much as having a phone that will comfortably fit in a pocket .

I don't want to worry about the phone flexing in my pocket and don't want a belt clip.

However for someone doing a lot of computer type work on a phone- or even watching movies etc.- I have tried a Note and Note 2 and can

Yep.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I hope some of the new Quad Cores will be available in 4.3 to 4.5 " screen size.

I put two phones in the same pocket of my work pants everyday. No muss, no fuss. One a Galaxy Note 2, the other a Nokia lumia 920. They both fit comfortably and will occasionally turn sideways in my pocket.

So the statement about fitting comfortably in your pocket is purely a personal need, as not everyone has that issue. I am not trying to say that I am in the majority here, just that the note 2 is not as big as everyone seems to assume it is.

Sure, the screen is 5.5", but the device is thinner than the original note and just a little longer. It is also slightly thinner than the original.

We are in a tech world where the smaller phones will not disappear due to the fact that some people cannot afford to buy smartphones due to the high cost of data plans.

A company's flagship devices will always be the biggest and the best. They will always have the best hardware to accomplish the needs for the device. Whether it be a 1080p screen or a quad core processor or 64gb of storage.

The Note 2 as well as the Droid DNA, LG Nexus 4, etc. will have bigger screens because the consumers want them for media consumption. Watch a video on a 4.3" HTC Inspire, then watch the same video on a Note 2. The extra screen real estate is a major plus.

One last thing, remember that the Note and Note 2 were designed to be used with the S Pen. The larger screens allow for a more natural and fluid pen stroke in my opinion, as well as in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital