Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By deesugar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    I have a Lumia 920 right now, but it's really not doing it for me. I'm looking into getting an Android, and the Nexus 4 price sounds really tempting. But some of the drawbacks keep me from getting it (low memory, non-replacable bat, no LTE) However, if the battery life is good I'm willing to compromise on the rest. Seeing as I have some cash on me to get a N4 now (if it ever goes back in stock lol) should I get one or just wait for the next Nexus to come out? (Speaking of the next Nexus, what's the possibility of it being as competitively priced as the N4?)
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    I think the odds are pretty good that the Nexus 5 will be aggressively priced just like this one. If you aren't that crazy about your phone, might as well get a Nexus 4. It hasn't been out that long, and it's going to a be a long wait for the next one.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia ion
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    It's not that I hate the L920, but the lack of customization is kinda making my fingers twitch lol. But I might get the N4 when it goes back in stock. Can anyone vouch for it's durability and battery life? Those are the two biggest things that worry me, that glass back looks fragile.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    The battery life is great I get twenty hours with medium use (no video). But get a case, this is a glass phone and feels delicate without one.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  5. #5  
    johnp888's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    It won't be until the last quarter of 2013 that we'll get a Nexus 5 announcement. That would be an agonizing wait if you are itching to switch. How about getting a Nexus 4 when it is available. If you don't like it then return it in the 14 day return window. Then the all you pay is shipping. Not sure if Google charges a restocking fee. Just tell them there is something wrong, which will probably be the reason... Good luck!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Odp: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Nexus 4 is young and probably be up graded for 2 major updates, so you can go with it i think, you dont really need to upgrade each generation
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnp888 View Post
    It won't be until the last quarter of 2013 that we'll get a Nexus 5 announcement. That would be an agonizing wait if you are itching to switch. How about getting a Nexus 4 when it is available. If you don't like it then return it in the 14 day return window. Then the all you pay is shipping. Not sure if Google charges a restocking fee. Just tell them there is something wrong, which will probably be the reason... Good luck!


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Uuugggh. I think I could survive for that long, if Microsoft actually bothered to come through with anything they promised. WP8 is riddled with bugs, the biggest being the battery life. How can a 2000 mah battery last less than 12 hours with light use? And we're not even seeing an upcoming fix for that. I might try that route though, and test it for a while. If not, I'll wait for the N5.

    About the N5 announcement, rumor has it that Google might double their product cycle (for phones and tablets) in 2013 according to this article. Any plausibility behind this?

    2013: Google Leads a Phone Price War - TheStreet
  8. #8  
    deesugar's Avatar

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    The Nexus 6 or Nexus 7 are rumored to be better but some say the real money is on the Nexus 8.

    Now people have speculated that the Nexus 9 will be better, it's got 24 cores for goodness sake and goes for a year on one pellet of tritium but I heard they're doing something special for the 10th anniversary edition Nexus....
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Don't get yourself stuck in to the waiting game. You will never, ever get a device as long as you're always waiting for the next thing that could possibly be better.

    And for the record: I wouldn't trust rumors of a second Nexus this year unless I hear it from AC or The Verge.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by halimaw96 View Post
    It's not that I hate the L920, but the lack of customization is kinda making my fingers twitch lol. But I might get the N4 when it goes back in stock. Can anyone vouch for it's durability and battery life? Those are the two biggest things that worry me, that glass back looks fragile.
    I have a 920 too, and I think you know the truth is you aren't going to find hardware half as nice as this on the Android side of the fence.

    I like Android too and Jellybean seems like a huge improvement over the past versions of it. But you couldn't pay me to buy another LG phone. An LG Revolution is what actually put me off Android for almost 2 years. Horrible device with virtually non-existant support from LG. The whole experience was so wretched (my first Android phone) that I walked away from the whole platform for a while (until just recently when I bought a Nexus 7 tablet, which I like very much so far)

    Anyway, I think you're on the right track...sort of. I mean, if you're going to go with Android, a Nexus device is the way to go. But LG is garbage and you're right to be wary of buying a phone with a glass backside.

    If I were you, I'd stick with the 920 for a while longer. This will also give you time to really give Windows Phone 8 a fair chance. If it's ever really going to come into it's own fully, it will be this year. You should see all kinds of great apps and things rolling out for it in the upcoming months.

    If you are still really itching to be able to change your UI or widgets or whatever it is that's got your fingers twitching, do it when Motorola or someone else makes the next Nexus phone. Just about anyone is better than LG. I'd give this LG one a pass. Honestly, I'd get a Galaxy Nexus before the LG, despite the difference in performance.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Just about anyone is better than LG. I'd give this LG one a pass. Honestly, I'd get a Galaxy Nexus before the LG, despite the difference in performance.
    Anything besides your experience with the Revolution make you say that? There's a world of difference between a carrier branded device and a Nexus device.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Good OL MC View Post
    Anything besides your experience with the Revolution make you say that? There's a world of difference between a carrier branded device and a Nexus device.
    Nope, just my experience with the Revolution. That and I've run into lots of other people who think LG quality is questionable. Considering keeping the price as low as possible on the Nexus 4 was a priority doesn't give me any more confidence in it.

    Just my two cents. The N4 might be a great product and most of you may have no problems with it at all. I just wouldn't buy an LG phone and I would not buy a phone with glass front and back no matter who made it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Gah, this is making the decisions so much harder. I'm now stuck between getting a Nexus 4 and ditching my L920, or just buying a Nexus 7 for some Android goodness (more practical, since I don't have an extra phone lying around). Can anyone help me with the decision? I realize that this will ultimately be up to me, but I'm not quite sold on a tablet yet, specially in terms of productivity. Can it replace my netbook?

    Mods, please move this to Phone Wars if you would like. I realize that I may have posted this in the wrong section.
  14. #14  
    Mobius360's Avatar

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    The N4 is a fine phone, I like it much better than my GNex and I think the GNex is a great phone.

    If I were to point out issues I see with the N4 it's these:
    The glass is a little slick. I have the bumper on mine because I wanted to be able to see the nice back but I'm thinking about just going with a case now. I personally would be a bit worried about using no case at all, then again I can't afford a new phone every couple months.

    The phone is a hair wider than the GNex and it's something I definitely notice. It's not bad but it's right on the edge of being too wide for me and paired with the slick back, I'm a little worried about dropping it.

    That's really about it, the other things like storage and battery size are what they are. You know what you're getting going in. I am not finding either to be a problem.
    The next Nexus phone is a ways off. The only Nexus I'd consider holding out on is the N7 at this point, I can see a Tegra 4 N7 in the near future.

    60% of the time it works every time!
    *Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    top phone, i bought the 16gb version although its the 1st screen i ve managed to scratch, hair line scratch. I ve had htc s before and samsungs but never managed to scratch them. Battery life is very good compared to Htc and samsung i ve had before
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by halimaw96 View Post
    I have a Lumia 920 right now, but it's really not doing it for me. I'm looking into getting an Android, and the Nexus 4 price sounds really tempting. But some of the drawbacks keep me from getting it (low memory, non-replacable bat, no LTE) However, if the battery life is good I'm willing to compromise on the rest. Seeing as I have some cash on me to get a N4 now (if it ever goes back in stock lol) should I get one or just wait for the next Nexus to come out? (Speaking of the next Nexus, what's the possibility of it being as competitively priced as the N4?)
    Low memory? It has double the memory of the iPhone 5. Maybe you mean storage?

    No LTE doesn't matter if you're in a good TMobile area since it can do HSPA+42. I usually get between 8-15mbps down, 2-4mbps up.

    Battery life's good (not great, but good). I can get about 4 hours screen-on time during a whole day of usage.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I have a 920 too, and I think you know the truth is you aren't going to find hardware half as nice as this on the Android side of the fence.
    Depends on what parts you're talking about.

    Camera: 920's the best on any platform
    Weight: the 920 is HEAVY (185 grams, despite a 4.5" screen. Nexus 4: 139 grams with bigger 4.7" screen)
    Size/thickness: 920's really thick and big for a screen that size: 10.7mm vs 9.1mm for N4)
    Screen: 920's screen is very good, not noticeably better than N4: 332ppi vs 318ppi
    RAM: Nexus 4 has double the RAM of 920
    CPU: 920's CPU dual-core 1.5GHZ Krait. Nexus 4: QUAD-core 1.5GHZ Krait
    GPU: 920 has Adreno 225, N4 has Adreno 320.

    Nexus 4 has better overall hardware.

    Looks are a personal thing, but I prefer the look of the Nexus 4.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Thanks for the advice everyone. So I'm basically sold on this device, getting it as soon as it goes back in stock (guess I'll be with my L920 for a while..lol) But the only thing that I'd still like to find out is the battery life. What's everyone's average battery life with this guy?
  19. #19  
    shaunypat's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    This one is great....HAHAHAHAHAHA.....
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Get the N4. Echoing what has been mentioned, the N5 won't be on sale until Q4 and it will be reasonably priced. The N4 will retain a lot of its value so you can get most of it back on eBay or Craigslist. I was able to get 70% of my GN price back when I sold it on eBay. Made the net price of the N4 a $100ish. That's much less than your down payment for a phone on a contract plan.

    Buy it.
    Last edited by swebb; 02-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    I would say either get the 4 and then sell it when you see something better come along or just wait. With HTC releasing their new phones shortly, the Moto X on the horizon, next version of Android at IO and possibly a new device or multiple, the S4, it seems like now is the calm before the storm. Granted IO is a few months away and who knows when the other phones are actually going to be out, but personally if I were you I would wait.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    I'd go with the 7, wait for the 5, trade in the current one still, maybe get a note 2 or s3(should be able to get a good deal now) for the time being.. all settled.




    Quote Originally Posted by halimaw96 View Post
    Gah, this is making the decisions so much harder. I'm now stuck between getting a Nexus 4 and ditching my L920, or just buying a Nexus 7 for some Android goodness (more practical, since I don't have an extra phone lying around). Can anyone help me with the decision? I realize that this will ultimately be up to me, but I'm not quite sold on a tablet yet, specially in terms of productivity. Can it replace my netbook?

    Mods, please move this to Phone Wars if you would like. I realize that I may have posted this in the wrong section.
  23. #23  
    dougltc's Avatar

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    [Strike]Reliable backup of all app data similar to how Carbon does it...

    http://www.androidcentral.com/carbon...backup-android[/strike]

    Wrong thread...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 now, or wait for the Nexus 5?

    Wait for the Motorola X phone.
    United States Air Force

Similar Threads

  1. LG Nexus 4 or wait for the Asus Padfone 2?
    By Ivanamanation#IM in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 12:44 AM
  2. LG Nexus 4 or wait for the Asus Padfone 2?
    By cashiskingnyc in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
  3. Should I get the Galaxy S II or wait for the Nexus Prime
    By FreakyLocz14 in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
  4. Sprint Phones. Nexus S or Wait for the EVO 3D
    By jdarmiento in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM
  5. Inspire or wait for the Nexus S
    By awtryau89 in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions