"Game Changer" Hardware

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Faster, more efficient processors? Not really game changing. More of an evolution.

Better cameras? Nothing revolutionary here either. Just use better sensors powered by good software.

Higher PPI? 300+ and it doesn't really matter that much to the naked eye. Specs for specs sake.

Battery? Current solution is to just raise the capacity of a lithium ion battery.

Is there really a "game changer" in our future, hardware-wise? It really feels like we've hit a limit on specs.

Re: processor, I think moving beyond silicon would be a game changer. We're far from that.

Re: camera, what more can be done here? DSLR? mirror-less/micro four thirds?

Re: display, no idea here.

Re: battery, until we move away from lithium ion, there really can't be a game changer here.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
As far as battery goes, I read an article where they were researching current lithium ion batteries but they were adding millions of tiny holes to the inside to help the ions move more freely. They were getting 10x battery life and 5x faster recharging.

http://www.futurity.org/science-technology/new-phone-battery-charges-10x-faster/

This is one reason I want a removable battery because when this new battery comes out they might make these to where they will fit my phone
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: "Game Changer" Hardware

For Cpu biggest thing ARMv8 is coming with ARM64, cpus still dont exist but support is being develop in linux

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Carbon nanotubes for use in CPU's I think Intel worked on a proof of concept version of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
For display maybe 3D? I know it was tried in the Evo 3D, but maybe it was too early for the tech to catch on. I'm not a fan of 3D, but it might be a next step for displays.

For the real progression though: wearable computing. Google Glass is an excellent example. The smartphone as it stands is plateauing in what it can do and how humans can interact with it. But with something like Google Glass, real changes can happen. That's why I'm more excited for it than any other product current :D

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have seen some articles making some large improvements to lithium ion batteries. Mostly in durability and longevity. Everything seemed to be a year or 2 from mass market though and mobile market won't support it as much because it encourages you to keep devises longer.

I will be interested to see the next physical change in processors. I belive it will remain silicon for a very long time, just different molecular structures and such.

Lots of architecture stuff is happening all the time though.

Really software is the big lag at this point. It takes a lot of money in intelligent coders to optimism for multiple cores, and the answer so far is usually just to get better hardware instead of making the software better unfortunately...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Faster, more efficient processors? Not really game changing. More of an evolution.

Better cameras? Nothing revolutionary here either. Just use better sensors powered by good software.

Higher PPI? 300+ and it doesn't really matter that much to the naked eye. Specs for specs sake.

Battery? Current solution is to just raise the capacity of a lithium ion battery.

Is there really a "game changer" in our future, hardware-wise? It really feels like we've hit a limit on specs.

Re: processor, I think moving beyond silicon would be a game changer. We're far from that.

Re: camera, what more can be done here? DSLR? mirror-less/micro four thirds?

Re: display, no idea here.

Re: battery, until we move away from lithium ion, there really can't be a game changer here.

Regarding the camera...since the Galaxy camera is only supporting the same size sensor as most point & shoot cameras, there's no way we will see anything better than that in a phone to keep the pricing anywhere near where it is right now.
I am all for better battery life and better GPUs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Flexible screens. The tech had been in development (nano tube is memory serves) for at least seven years now (old physics paper...). Once established, I would have to believe we see a myriad of various form factors hit the market. Rollable/foldable, a watch type wrist band type deal (think qb play card in football), glasses, and so on. Improved battery life and significantly improved cameras would be gravy.

The recent trend to permanent batteries would seem to suggest that we won't be seeing improved battery tech any time soon. The same would go for screens I'd presume (for the same life span, unit moving, bottom line centric worries) until new form factors come into play.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know why no manufacturer has used dragontrail glass on displays yet. I'd assume it to be cost but it sure looks more durable than gorilla glass

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jggonzalez

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see manufacturers move away from the non-removable battery. I just put an extended battery (4200mAh) in my GS3 and love the result. I don't want to give up the chance to extend my battery life from hours to days just because manufacturers insist everyone must be able to put the phone in their pocket. I use a belt pouch and don't mind the extra thickness. Why not give consumers the choice? I think the real reason they use the non-removable battery is because of cost.

I think the other area we need to focus on is software. We've got a ton of horsepower under the hood. Can you imagine the results if 75% of the apps out there could make efficient use of that potential performance? It would be like moving from a Commodore 64 to a modern PC.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

How app could use power more afficent where most apps in Android are pure Java apps and they mostly depndent on lower gears of system. Increse of speed will increase preferemence of any app whatever ever it is written, more cores in order for single app to make use of them requires more multithreaded code, this is where java app devolopers need to do something to use the power.

lbsf1

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Odp: "Game Changer" Hardware

I think the next big (possible) game changer will be google glass and the such devices. Screens on phones are starting to get to a point where they are arqward in smallish hands so a new type of display needs to be developed and google glass's augmented reality seems like a perfect example of this new type of display. I think google glass has the potential to be a complete game changer and litteraly revolutionalise technology and how we interact with it. However saying that it could also be a complete flop and it just be another forgotten idea.

Phones have been relatively the same since the introduction of touch screens, just getting bigger and faster. I think it is time for a change.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Odp: "Game Changer" Hardware

phone changing size, like a transformer. One day its iphone size, the next its GNote2 size. With a flexible display anything could happen!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I dont belive everyone will go glass, it has restrictions in navigation by concept it self same as Kinect. I belive touch screens can evolve, theres still things that can be improved, specialy in touch feedback field.