Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 586
Like Tree126Likes
  1. #251  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,832 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    We get it, you like large phones, why do you care what everyone else wants?

    M4 does sound nice, a step in the right direction finally!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    The M4 would be a step in the right direction if it met or beat the RAZR M/i bezel.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. #252  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Yeah and if it wasn't htc... Ugh after my flyer and Vivid I can safely say HTC isn't for me. If I ever get a carrier phone again, it's going to be a Samsung, hopefully they'll start releasing good phones in reasonable sizes again too.

    But I'm set for the next 2 years anyway lol

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #253  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Personally, i would like to see a smaller size device (4.3in next to no bezel screen) in the Nexus branding. I also wouldn't mind it being Motorola with their "X phone" as well.

    Samsung doesn't impress me with their cheap feather weight plastic.

    HTC is nice, and the droid incredible 2 has served my nicely since its inception. But the lack of updates and the lack of control over carrier's interests worries me.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #254  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I won't argue that Motorola or htc aren't better built because they are, but they also come with locked bootloaders that require warranty voiding methods to unlock them. If you think you might wanna root at some point, it Samsung or nothing, unless you buy a nexus. And if you wanna stay stock, then anything but htc as htc sense is just terrible and takes all the fun out of android.

    Yeah I'd also like to see a smaller nexus device too, this thing is a bit difficult to use one handed

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #255  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,067 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    I won't argue that Motorola or htc aren't better built because they are, but they also come with locked bootloaders that require warranty voiding methods to unlock them. If you think you might wanna root at some point, it Samsung or nothing, unless you buy a nexus. And if you wanna stay stock, then anything but htc as htc sense is just terrible and takes all the fun out of android.

    Yeah I'd also like to see a smaller nexus device too, this thing is a bit difficult to use one handed

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Most all htc devices have unlocked bootloader...

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  6. #256  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Maybe with Google having more of a hand in this x phone, it might be more like a nexus than just another razr "like" device. I guess its too early to know at this point.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  7. #257  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Most all htc devices have unlocked bootloader...

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Not my flyer or vivid, both I had to unlock through htcdevelopers.com and both would say "relocked" on the bootloader if you reverted to stock, meaning yeah your warranty is void. Its my understanding after the sensation, it all went to hell.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #258  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,067 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    Not my flyer or vivid, both I had to unlock through htcdevelopers.com and both would say "relocked" on the bootloader if you reverted to stock, meaning yeah your warranty is void. Its my understanding after the sensation, it all went to hell.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    That is still an unlocked bootloader. Even samsung devices you have to use a computer.

    Your warranty "may" be void. They dont take you serial number or anything like that. There has never been a warranty claim revoked that i have ever found and that is with LOTS of devices returned stories. Dont get me wrong, you should expect it to be revoked(as you should when modding any device) but it is not definite at all.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  9. #259  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    The thing is I've owned a Samsung before. The bootloader was completely unlocked out of the box, didn't even have to type the fastboot command. Rooting took all of 5 minutes, and no data was lost in the process. Honestly after owning the Captivate a year and a half I never learned out how to use adb and fastboot because I never had to. The thing was all but a nexus really. I had to swap it out twice, both times it was just as easy as running a one click program to get it back to stock. Then I bought my flyer, my god I had to read like 5 posts on xda to get it unlocked, rooted and... S-off? What is s-off? Exclusive bs that htc adds to make it even harder to hack. It took me 2 evenings to get my flyer to the point where the Captivate got to in 10 minutes. Then I got my vivid and I flew through unlocking and rooting being familiar with the flyer, but I never did get s-off because it involved touching a wire to the motherboard! Wtf? But none of that was the worst. The worst thing is after you acheive all the hurdles, there's nothing but modified stock roms because htc makes them hard as hell to develop for. And I really found on both devices that I hate sense.

    I mean I think for the general public they are great and build quality blows everything out of the water, but they aren't geek phones, not at all. And sense is so forked you'd think it was a Kindle, htc does everything to make android not look like android. Hell you really can't even easily switch your launcher on sense.

    Unless they build a nexus again, or drop sense, s-off, I'd never buy one again. Should of gone with my gut and gotten the galaxy s2, but I've remedied that now.

    Sorry to go off topic, hey to each his own, just saying my experience with htc wasn't great. And go figure I replaced both HTC devices with nexus devices

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #260  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Getting back on topic, my wife is still rocking the vivid and the screen seems kinda small on it now that I've been using the n4 for almost a month. I think that's why screen sizes are going up. Especially when one of the biggest players became famous over their great TVs to begin with. I mean I was content with my cappys 4 inch screen, hell I was with my eternitys 3.2 inch screen, but you get a larger phone, get used to the size, then see a bigger phone, and start getting envious of it. All of a sudden, you're want more.

    At this point I probably wouldn't go back to 4 inch, but I'd still be all about 4.3-4.5. I still feel like those are about the largest you can go before one hand usability starts getting difficult. And of course that depends on your hand size, I am 6 foot 2 and have large hands, but I can't imagine a 5 foot 2 girl easily being able to easily use a 4.5 inch screen 1 handed.

    I dunno it might be easier on a phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio. A buddy of mine is only like 5 foot 5 has a galaxy nexus, it's 720p so the screen is skinnier yet taller than mine and he has no issues using it. Mine is 1280x768 so the screen is shorter but wider than the Gnex and the width gives me problems more than the height. I simply can't reach the top left corner.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #261  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Well, i do think that so far, in the last few weeks or even months, there has been enough "chatter" on this subject and my hunch is that manufacturers are starting to take note for the next cycle of devices. In fact, i think the razr m was born through this desire for a more compact high end. Granted, its not exactly high end for todays standards, but no one would argue that it is a total washout "specs wise" either.

    In the end, I see change coming. And even blackberry sees the need to limit size to proper functionality here. And i think they are indeed making a comeback and will absolutely influence the market with their approach.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  12. #262  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Got a Note 2 few days ago but think I will be returning it way to big for me to be a mobile device. Think I will wait to see what the s4 will be.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy S3 w/ Hyperion 4200mah and Seidio battery cover & ZeroLemon 7000mah
    Thanked by:
  13. #263  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    My note 2 is perfect for my big meat hooks. If your baby phone went to jail my note 2 would be its boyfriend.
    RicanMedic78 and badbrad17 like this.
  14. #264  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    One thing I would mention regarding one hand use is the placement of the back button. Samsung sometimes puts it in the bottom right but my Nexus 4 puts it in the bottom left. Ideally I prefer the bottom right as it is easier to press it when using my phone one handed. When it is on the left side I need to make more of an effort to reach over to press it. I know this doesn't consider left handed people but I think the majority of people use their phones with their right hand. some type of consistency on this would help one handed use.

    Anyone else notice this?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  15. #265  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Us lefties are a minority by a wide margin.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  16. #266  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I'm right handed and use my phone one handed with my left hand. Handedness has nothing to do with that. It's just bad placement. Ideally, they should not use capacitive/hardware buttons and Google should have a setting to reverse the order of the software buttons in settings. Easy and would make it work equally well no matter which hand you use to operate your phone.
    Anything above 4.3 inches is a complete PITA for me to use one handed (this phone included), so BB and iphone are my only choices. Just waiting for Z10 release before I pull the trigger.

    Don't think people understand how important ergonomics are. I don't want a phone that basically demands I use both hands to use it. That's impractical, and in some cases trying to use something that large one handed can be unhealthy. I'd never buy a Note 2, as I used one in the AT&T store and the laggy S-Pen wasn't worth the added inconvenience.

    Also a PenTile 720p screen at that size looked like sh*t to me.

    Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    Thanked by 2:
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  17. #267  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    If you use your phone like I do, right handed, left handed doesn't matter, I'm only right handed when it comes to writing, when using my phone whatever hand is free.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
  18. #268  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    One thing I would mention regarding one hand use is the placement of the back button. Samsung sometimes puts it in the bottom right but my Nexus 4 puts it in the bottom left. Ideally I prefer the bottom right as it is easier to press it when using my phone one handed. When it is on the left side I need to make more of an effort to reach over to press it. I know this doesn't consider left handed people but I think the majority of people use their phones with their right hand. some type of consistency on this would help one handed use.

    Anyone else notice this?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    This would be an issue for me that i have never even thought of. But i think its because i never left my droid incredible 2, which has a different layout. But i agree 100%. A practical option would be for google to implement an icon swap option in the display settings to remedy this problem.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  19. #269  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I'm right handed and use my phone one handed with my left hand. Handedness has nothing to do with that. It's just bad placement. Ideally, they should not use capacitive/hardware buttons and Google should have a setting to reverse the order of the software buttons in settings. Easy and would make it work equally well no matter which hand you use to operate your phone.
    Anything above 4.3 inches is a complete PITA for me to use one handed (this phone included), so BB and iphone are my only choices. Just waiting for Z10 release before I pull the trigger.

    Don't think people understand how important ergonomics are. I don't want a phone that basically demands I use both hands to use it. That's impractical, and in some cases trying to use something that large one handed can be unhealthy. I'd never buy a Note 2, as I used one in the AT&T store and the laggy S-Pen wasn't worth the added inconvenience.

    Also a PenTile 720p screen at that size looked like sh*t to me.

    Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    That's what I hate about phones these days, ergonomics are thrown out the window to provide sleek designs with mammoth screens. I honestly believe manufacturers don't even consider how your going to hold the phone, they just want it to look good.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #270  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    That's what I hate about phones these days, ergonomics are thrown out the window to provide sleek designs with mammoth screens. I honestly believe manufacturers don't even consider how your going to hold the phone, they just want it to look good.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep... That's why I'm sayin hello to the blackberry z10! And I'm on Verizon! So i get it in white!!! Haha

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #271  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    Yep... That's why I'm sayin hello to the blackberry z10! And I'm on Verizon! So i get it in white!!! Haha

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I think I might go down that road too. Instead though, I might get the q10...

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  22. #272  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Haha, your first at bat and a home run! I think the Note 2 gets a bad rap regarding its size. I had reservations initially, but it's amazing how quickly you adapt to the larger size and how much it changes your whole outlook about other phones. It's so surreal now how small other phones look and feel. Every time I see a family member's iPhone or look at my old Thunderbolt, it's almost laughable how small and toyish they look. Always makes me think: "I used to use something so small? I could never use that again!" LOL To me it feels like the bar has been raised. Then again Ive always primarily used my phones two handed, even though the Note 2 has a one-handed mode you can turn on that moves things toward one side to assist. Even without it, I have little problem hitting most of the screen with one hand anyway. I have to admit though, can't see a phone any bigger. It'd be like holding my Nexus 7 to my head. Not cool! There is a limit. But Id say the Note 2 is right in that sweet spot. If youre hesitant about it, try out a store demo, you might be surprised (as I was).
    i know everyone is different, but honestly, i cannot relate. Having both a droid incredible 2 and a nexus 7 tablet, i find myself going back to my phone for most things, including chatting on this forum. Why? First, its the faster typing. Second, the faster navigation through the os, especially with one hand. And third, as far as media is concerned, i honestly cannot spend much time watching video on "any device" that's smaller than a standard tv. That's not to say i would never do youtube or netflix, but honestly, i don't see much of a difference btwn a 4 inch device and a 7in device. Either way, its never going to be comfortable unless its on an tv. That said, i wouldn't trade that speed of typing and navigating simply for a slightly less uncomfortable video streaming experience.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  23. #273  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by dobermans rule View Post
    I think I might go down that road too. Instead though, I might get the q10...

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    I may just go that route too! The same applies above. If navigation and typing is better, then why not. Plus, i like the idea that, on the business side of things, i can type up long notes and reply to emails much more efficiently.

    My only fear with blackberry is the lack of integration with gmail like an android device. I hope once we have blackberries in our hand that we can sync calenders, contacts, access drive, and get push email on the dime.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  24. #274  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I'm right handed and use my phone one handed with my left hand. Handedness has nothing to do with that. It's just bad placement. Ideally, they should not use capacitive/hardware buttons and Google should have a setting to reverse the order of the software buttons in settings. Easy and would make it work equally well no matter which hand you use to operate your phone.
    Anything above 4.3 inches is a complete PITA for me to use one handed (this phone included), so BB and iphone are my only choices. Just waiting for Z10 release before I pull the trigger.

    Don't think people understand how important ergonomics are. I don't want a phone that basically demands I use both hands to use it. That's impractical, and in some cases trying to use something that large one handed can be unhealthy. I'd never buy a Note 2, as I used one in the AT&T store and the laggy S-Pen wasn't worth the added inconvenience.

    Also a PenTile 720p screen at that size looked like sh*t to me.

    Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    love the idea of the swappable buttons. Great solution.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  25. #275  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    This would be an issue for me that i have never even thought of. But i think its because i never left my droid incredible 2, which has a different layout. But i agree 100%. A practical option would be for google to implement an icon swap option in the display settings to remedy this problem.

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    I do a lot of custom screens and I always setup my phone so icons i will need one handed are on the proper side.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Phone is too big to use with one hand
    By jmz768 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
  3. Emails are too big in stock email app
    By robyn25 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
  4. Attention Evo Owners - Is the phone too big?
    By archer7056 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  5. Android users should not get too attached to their phones UI?
    By FrankTheTank369#AC in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions