Are phones getting too big?

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It had to be the pixel density, then. It was just too low compared to other devices like the Xperias and One X to bother.

Also, TouchWiz is just designed (aesthetically) in a way that seems to make a high resolution screen look lower resolution than it actually is to me.

The deal breaker for me was the S Pen. It was laggy and I cannot say it is more accurate than a finger due to that. The mouse on my PC runs circles around it, by comparison.

Well by definition the larger 720p display will be less sharp than the smaller 720p display, but to an extent this is also affected by the DPI. For example with standard 20/20 vision the Note 2 would look just as sharp as the HOX at 5" away if you adjusted the DPI to be inversely proportional to the increase in screen size. A system DPI of about 200 on the Note will provide similar OS-level sharpness as the HOX. This is because of the relatively large size of the UI elements that you mentioned. The angular sub tense of ~1.0 gives the N2 about the right screen size to resolution ratio.

I think for large-screened devices like the Note there is far more that can be done with the UI real estate. Just making standard Android bigger by preserving the 240dpi isn't cutting it. I saw a full screen widget/launcher concept/alpha a while back that looked like just the ticket.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Gtalk is a separate app its not really baked in at all its just preloaded. As for functionality it's closed source so you really can't speculate on how hard it is to add functionality to it. As far as updating it, it would be an update through the play store like every other app so if people allow automatic updates then it could propagate like any other app. Gapps aren't baked in all of them are separate apps that just come with the phone the biggest issue is where OEM's place the app aka /system/app causing you to be unable to remove it.

G+ is a social network and its chat feature is part of that although I would love to see it's hangout feature added into gtalk again both are closed source so we can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Google Talk is XMPP network :p it's a open protocol, it's feature specs (aside of core functions which are discribed in main specification) are dividend in to so called XEP expansions, here you have them:

XMPP Extensions ? The XMPP Standards Foundation

Google did some custom once too for gtalk:

https://developers.google.com/talk/jep_extensions/extensions

But still it is fully compatible with XMPP and you can connect to it with any XMPP client and talk to Google Talk users from any other XMPP server as XMPP works like email (again not much people are aware of it as Google Talk is only popular open XMPP network and XMPP community outside google is pretty small and if there any other popular XMPP network most likely people are not aware that they talk between networks)

They use Jingle for Hangouts (as G+ chat is is Google talk) which is part of XMPP:

XEP-0166: Jingle

But it's hard to find any XMPP client that supports it as it's harder thing to implement and don't know if Google implementation is compatible with offical XMPP specs.

Now days most IM (chat) networks are based on XMPP as it open and free and companies can save lot of effort concetrating on making software insted of designing protocol from 0. I think XMPP is reason why lot of services have there own chat system, Facrbook using it, Sony useing it in PSN chat rooms, i even hear Apple used it for there messanger app problem is (as said before) they dont want to open external communication and Google Tlak is only biggest network allowing communicatiosn with other XMPP, but even they have a problem with it as in order to make contact with Google Talk user form other XMPP server that user need gmail address (Google Talk use gmail addess for external communication), otherwise it using some random address and external communication does not seem to work

I recomend you guys to play with XMPP :) You will understand how Google Talk really works and what it can do. I belive IM chatting world would be better place if all network used XMPP with external communication allowing to contact anyone on any network, the more people will be aware of XMPP and it's possibilities then better it will be. XMPP (previesly know as Jabber) exists nearly 15 years or more, in now days it's widly used, yet no body is aware of that, mostly because it covered by marketing, as result it does not use it's full potential, like his cousin in network structure... e-mail.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware of the protocols. The issue is I was talking about the apps themselves. We can't change those particular packages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
BB10 doesn't use BIS.

Apps only matter as far as what someone actually needs on their device. If BB10 has most or all of those apps, what specific advantages anyone claims android has (that they don't care about) ceases to matter.

How do you think Nokia was able to sale so many Lumia phones despite internet trolls polluting every forum, blog post, tech blog, Google+ thread, Facebook thread, etc. with "WP8 sux?"
I don't disagree, but apps are still a huge deal to everyone. If BB can get enough on their store which it appears they might then they may pull it off. But I would not say that what Nokia has done with the Lumia is much of a success story in the big picture. All anyone ever says about WP is that there are no apps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I know people on wp and they say there are plenty of apps! Only you techies think an app store needs a million apps to succeed!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know people on wp and they say there are plenty of apps! Only you techies think an app store needs a million apps to succeed!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

I never understood Apple boasting about number of iPhone apps. Now Google needs to boast about their number. Windows Phone and BlackBerry followed suit.

I don't care about millions of apps. I just want good apps and games.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I want apps and widgets that allow me to customize my phone. There is only one place to get those apps.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Number one reason I'm sticking with Android.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
All you have to do is go to www.mycolorscreen.com to see the difference between Android and iOS. It pretty much sums up the difference between the OS's. One is boring and uninspiring and the other is alive, unique and a growing living community that are pushing the envelope.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The only time there aren't enough apps is when you can't find what you want.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Remember though. A robust app store, even if it has apps u don't care for, shows popularity, it shows traffic, commitment ppl have for the os, and it sort of solidifies their existence. Without that, people just have a hard time committing because of fears the platform won't survive.

So in the end, apps are important for the ecosystem in general even if "you or i per say" don't want or need all its offerings.

Its like a mall that has a lots of stores you don't want, but yet, it keeps the hallways always packed so that when you do go to visit only the stores you like, you do so feeling that "this mall" is a hotspot that ppl like a lot.

And the more traffic you have, the more venders,and even "quality" venders come for the ride.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

jedisc

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I dont buy this argument, the 5s is as powerful as the S4 and its tiny. Sure its cpu isnt as powerful on paper but we arent using paper we are using a phone. Something not brought up here is the fact that there are a lot of people who want a smaller user friendly phone that doesnt have second rate specs, and in the android world it just doesnt exist. If I want a 4inch screen then the ancient S2 is still about the best alternative. I also find it insulting samsung calling the S4 mini an S4 at all.

the S2 sold so incredibly well I dont understand why they dont release a fully speced phone in this size.

I would have bought it instead of going for their old s2 if they had.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Co-worker of mine commented that his iphone 4s is too big for him. Every person has their needs/wants and manufacturers are going with what the majority have said, unfortunately they are leaving behind the people who actually want smaller.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup too big. I think some OEMS are starting to realize they have to make the phones smaller (edge to edge) but thats not enough so they include a mode that uses part of the screen, I mean really? I'm not saying get rid of big phones entirely, their is a market. But make phones reasonable again! Like the Moto X. Nice big 4.7" screen, small form factor.

adambold123

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Galaxy S4, I think the screen size is just about right. But yeah, any bigger and you're venturing away from phones and into tablets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt