Are phones getting too big?

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
First of all, only android OEMs Collectively can compete with Apple's iPhone. Not one manufacturer on it's not can do that, not even Samsung. So for you to even try to bring up the idea that more ppl are leaving iOS for big screens is ridiculous. In fact, it's the other way around! HTC and LG desperately wish that what you think is the case but it's not!

And by calling someone stupid is an insult. To believe otherwise is ..... Well.... Stupid??? Anyway, dictatorish? Cause I think phablets are absurd and should die off? Great! Don't give me the keys to the nukes then! Frankly, I could care less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I said dictatorish because samsung sold millions and millions of note phones so OBVIOUSLY u are the minority but u speak like u are the majority.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that those participating here reacquaint themselves with the forum rules. Going forward, posts that violate the rules with be dealt with in accordance with the AC forum rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
How do u know what tom **** and harry likes? That's what zman including others in these posts been telling u different strokes for different folks. Its not just screen size. If u and whoever likes ios like having apple tell u what's good or not is fine but us who are adults and want to do what they please with their merchandise are doing just fine with android. And u said all the oems collectively well that was googles mission to have android the opposite of ios....open source google what that mean bro.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

Google'a mission has nothing to do with whether phablets are successful. Only an OEM that makes a phablet can decide whether their product is successful. And frankly, if u take Samsung out of the mix, take all the small android handsets out too, then u got poor selling products across the board. And mind u, they are very good high quality products! No one ever said the HTC One was cheap! Or the G2! But when u look at overall sales #s, they won't even come close to touching Apple. And they're makin it happen with only a 4" screen! That's got to tell u somethin about where most ppl are at when it comes to phone size! This is why I said phabs must die! It's the only way true innovation can continue!

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
And I said dictatorish because samsung sold millions and millions of note phones so OBVIOUSLY u are the minority but u speak like u are the majority.

Again, I'm not saying that phablets should disappear! I just think they are a nitch product and ppl deep down want more emphasis on compact quality products that are pocketable and manageable on the go. Once it's established as such, OEMs can go back to making real phones that can take iOS users back to Android.

To me, the Moto X is the start to change...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying its better for all. I'm saying it's better for many. I'm also not saying there should be no big phones. But let's get real! Its a nitch! Plain n simple! My beef is that every phone now a days is 5+ inches when that is not practical in most cases. I also believe that more ppl have less choice because all flagships are tablet size phones with in the android world.

And while the iPhone has become a bit small, no one is looking for a 5" screen for the iPhone 6. What people want is flagship specs and a future proof device in a nice package. And personally, I think that's why Apple is so popular in the US, love em or hate em! They're the only ones who do high end in a practical manner. No gimmicks. And if u weed out those who get 5+ in phones because of the lack of choice, the few that are left are just enough to make tablet phones a notch product.

As for the insults, let's just say I never insulted you and I intend to keep it that way for the benefit of this being a respectable forum for discussion.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The Moto G, X and HTC One are not 5+". And yes MANY would be interested in a 5"+ iPhone. Unless you've conducted market studies it may not be the best idea to state "No one....". I choose to believe that if there were a 5.5" iPhone it would sell quite well but perhaps I'm greatly mistaken and it would be a massive flop.

CM on OgPro

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Moto G, X and HTC One are not 5+". And yes MANY would be interested in a 5"+ iPhone. Unless you've conducted market studies it may not be the best idea to state "No one....". I choose to believe that if there were a 5.5" iPhone it would sell quite well but perhaps I'm greatly mistaken and it would be a massive flop.

CM on OgPro

You or I have not done market research, but we already have some research based on which companies are successful and which aren't. Apple's huge success with a 4" screen has got to mean something here! If more ppl wanted phablets, Apple would not be in the lead right now based on single OEM competition

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thats the point. Appke is losing market share not gaining lol. The proof in the writing. All u gotta do is read the countless posts of people leaving ios. Way more than I see leaving android.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
And personally I find 5+ inch phones to be quite useful and not just a gimmick like say a fingerprint scanner or siri lol.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
5 inches is perfect for me. Anything below 4.3 has proven impossible to type on. Tried iPhone 5 before. Horrid. I'll stick to 4.3 inches for now.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thats the point. Appke is losing market share not gaining lol. The proof in the writing. All u gotta do is read the countless posts of people leaving ios. Way more than I see leaving android.

Every report I have read says the iphone 5s is the single best selling phone this quarter. So how does that add up?

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Ms and u are in two different time reality zones then because I see either the one motox or the gs4 or note on tv and the web. I have saw a lot of commercials clowing the ip5s and c tbough lol.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
... If more ppl wanted phablets, Apple would not be in the lead right now based on single OEM competition

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Can you envision a Miley Cyrus, Beyance, or a Kanye West wielding the power of an Android phablet? I cannot, really. Jennifer Lawrence is more the complex Android wielding type, I choose to believe. Sorry, that was a bit irrelevant but my point is that some people need simple...and small...and bling....and the Fruit. Some do not.

CM on OgPro

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think there's a bit more to it than that. Can you envision a Miley Cyrus, Beyance, or a Kanye West wielding the power of an Android phablet? I cannot, really. Jennifer Lawrence is more the complex Android wielding type, I choose to believe. Sorry, that was a bit irrelevant but my point is that some people need simple...and small.

CM on OgPro

You just made my point

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Every report I have read says the iphone 5s is the single best selling phone this quarter. So how does that add up?

Maybe because it just released? I wouldn't expect the S4 to be selling the most, it released at the beginning of the year. Android OEMs as a whole still sells more than Apple

Posted via Android Central App

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Android OEMs as a whole still sells more than Apple

And no phablet making OEM can compete on its own merit. More people love smaller quality phones! There's just no way around it. You literally "just" said it! Phabs are an impractical nitch product.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
And no phablet making OEM can compete on its own merit. More people love smaller quality phones! There's just no way around it. You literally "just" said it! Phabs are an impractical nitch product.

On their own, no. Why? Because people who buy Android phones like choice, hence the many different kinds of Android phones there are. The iPhone by itself does not outsell all of the Android "phablets." If there was one Android OEM, it would sell a lot better than the iPhone (Android has more market share)
People don't buy iPhones because they're small, they buy them because they're iPhones. If Apple comes out with a 4.7 inch iPhone next year, people will still flock to the stores and they will sell just as well.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
On their own, no. Why? Because people who buy Android phones like choice, hence the many different kinds of Android phones there are. The iPhone by itself does not outsell all of the Android "phablets." If there was one Android OEM, it would sell a lot better than the iPhone (Android has more market share)
People don't buy iPhones because they're small, they buy them because they're iPhones. If Apple comes out with a 4.7 inch iPhone next year, people will still flock to the stores and they will sell just as well.

Right! But go to 5+ and they'll be a backlash! Universally, 5+ is just not practical! It's funny how everyone who comments keeps supporting my view while fighting it at the same time! U guys just like to argue!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Right! But go to 5+ and they'll be a backlash! Universally, 5+ is just not practical! It's funny how everyone who comments keeps supporting my view while fighting it at the same time! U guys just like to argue!

Sure, they'll be mad that the phone is 5+ inches, but they'll still buy it. By your logic, smaller sells more. If that were true, people would still be buying the 4S because it's smaller. When it originally came out, the iPhone was considered a good size, and the 4.3 inch Android phones were "big."
That doesn't change the fact that people buy iPhones because they're iPhones. A lot of Apple fans would buy a bigger iPhone because moving to Android isn't an option.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sure, they'll be mad that the phone is 5+ inches, but they'll still buy it. By your logic, smaller sells more. If that were true, people would still be buying the 4S because it's smaller. When it originally came out, the iPhone was considered a good size, and the 4.3 inch Android phones were "big."
That doesn't change the fact that people buy iPhones because they're iPhones. A lot of Apple fans would buy a bigger iPhone because moving to Android isn't an option.

I never denied that iphone fans want a bigger phone... Or even that the 4" iphone may be a tad bit too small. But even you, defending the phablet, still won't make a point and use 5+inches to make that point. You stopped at 4.7! Why? Because deep down, you too believe that after 4.7, you get into nitch territory!

Just admit it! lol