Are phones getting too big?

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturers like Samsung, and HTC should make 2 flagship phones. A larger one for those of us that want it, and a smaller more reasonably sized one with decent specs. All of the 4-4.3" Android phones are now considered low end to mid range.

Isn't that ironic? I remember when the Droid X debuted at 4.3 inches; it was a flagship for a decent amount of time. The phone was huge and powerful. Technology moves fast :D. Although I prefer bigger-screened phones, I am not against seeing flagships with smaller screens for those that prefer them. My question is: what would need to go into the smaller-screened phone to make it sell over its bigger-screened sibling? Would it just need identical specs? Or would the other specs (storage space, RAM, clock speed, etc) have to be better than the bigger-screened phones?

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Size is why I'm on the fence about upgrading to the Note 2 or the iPhone 5. I like having a compact device but also love using apps on a large screen.

Good OL MC

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My question is: what would need to go into the smaller-screened phone to make it sell over its bigger-screened sibling? Would it just need identical specs? Or would the other specs (storage space, RAM, clock speed, etc) have to be better than the bigger-screened phones?

I think that it would just need to be comparable in most ways. Niche users/power users may still want the larger screen for their own purposes, but if someone can just be told that phone A is the same as phone B but with a smaller screen and lighter body you'd see a market flesh out for it.

The one possible difference maker could be the camera. People go nuts for an awesome camera, so if that was included and a no BS component you'd see a bit of a turn around.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think that it would just need to be comparable in most ways. Niche users/power users may still want the larger screen for their own purposes, but if someone can just be told that phone A is the same as phone B but with a smaller screen and lighter body you'd see a market flesh out for it.

The one possible difference maker could be the camera. People go nuts for an awesome camera, so if that was included and a no BS component you'd see a bit of a turn around.

Spec wise the larger phones will always be more powerful there is more room for them to add stuff. ....

For example I work for the company that develops amoled tech. If we say we can save them more power with a more efficient molecule, they don't say"Oh great we can have longer battery life" they say"oh can we put a more powerful processor now that we have extra power not being used" so if they see a chance to add more they do

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Good OL MC

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Spec wise the larger phones will always be more powerful there is more room for them to add stuff. ....

True, that makes it so that there will almost always be a gap in what comes in those phones. So I will rephrase:

If smaller phones are comparably powerful to a larger phone to the point where you can't tell the difference, think holding a brand new EVO Shift and a brand new EVO 4G (for lack of a better big brother/little brother example), there would be an evening out of size popularity.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I want a larger screen. I am small but I can handle the Note2. Looking forward to it. It is personal preference. That's why we have apple. Android ,windows blackberry. Plenty to choose from. I need a screen that can do more. Looks like o have found the perfect fit! Can't wait

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I want a larger screen. I am small but I can handle the Note2. Looking forward to it. It is personal preference. That's why we have apple. Android ,windows blackberry. Plenty to choose from. I need a screen that can do more. Looks like o have found the perfect fit! Can't wait

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Exactly!!! People talk about how they love Android because it's about choice but then they open threads about the amount of choice we should have

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Democrats want one phone size for all, so no one feels left out! Us republicans want the biggest and baddest phone money can buy! So we can tease the not so fortunate!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the Note 2 is the size limit any bigger than that then its a tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I should rephrase what I meant to say. I am just saying that I think that there aren't a lot of smaller phones as in 4.3" or under that have the best specs or top of the line specs. I think that it is great that they are giving people the options, but I also think that manufacturers should give the people a choice of good specced smaller sized phones.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Democrats want one phone size for all, so no one feels left out! Us republicans want the biggest and baddest phone money can buy! So we can tease the not so fortunate!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

I am a republican by the way. Republicans rule!!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I should rephrase what I meant to say. I am just saying that I think that there aren't a lot of smaller phones as in 4.3" or under that have the best specs or top of the line specs. I think that it is great that they are giving people the options, but I also think that manufacturers should give the people a choice of good specced smaller sized phones.

They are given powerful devices within size constraints. Of course the smaller devices dont seem high end anymore when you compare them to bigger devices. You can't fit the power of the Note 2 into a 3.5inch phone . Even iphone knew this, you think they went bigger for a bigger screen NOPE! if that was the case they wouldnt have just made the thing longer, bigger screen was just an excuse to fit in a little more power.

The reason you dont see a 1080P 4" phone is because it is extremely difficult to pull that type of resolution in a tiny screen. So as time goes on and bigger phones get more powerful smaller phones will seem like they are falling behind becoming low end devices when in fact they are just hitting their limits. Until micro electronics become someone even smaller then thy are going to hit a plateu

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
They are given powerful devices within size constraints. Of course the smaller devices dont seem high end anymore when you compare them to bigger devices. You can't fit the power of the Note 2 into a 3.5inch phone . Even iphone knew this, you think they went bigger for a bigger screen NOPE! if that was the case they wouldnt have just made the thing longer, bigger screen was just an excuse to fit in a little more power.

The reason you dont see a 1080P 4" phone is because it is extremely difficult to pull that type of resolution in a tiny screen. So as time goes on and bigger phones get more powerful smaller phones will seem like they are falling behind becoming low end devices when in fact they are just hitting their limits. Until micro electronics become someone even smaller then thy are going to hit a plateu

I agree with you 100%. I think that phones are hitting their limits because there at so many new features being added to them and they are running out of room to store the things inside them.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly!!! People talk about how they love Android because it's about choice but then they open threads about the amount of choice we should have

Last time i read it, it was about the lack of a choice. That choice being a high end smart phone with smaller screen...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

The Droid Razr M is a good spec phone for a 4.3 inch screen.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The Droid Razr M is a good spec phone for a 4.3 inch screen.

That's my point Razr M is half the process half the memory but its a great phone . But when people compare it to the note 2 then all of a sudden its a low end phone.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
That's my point Razr M is half the process half the memory but its a great phone . But when people compare it to the note 2 then all of a sudden its a low end phone.

The smaller phones are slowly dieing off. The M was a last attempt at a smaller phone.