Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 553
Like Tree113Likes
  1. #526  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by killthedope View Post
    i think 5 inch should be the max size of any phone .... For a normal user its the best fit ... again it depends on people to people
    The G2 (one of my favorites) comes in at 5.2" and didn't seem oversized at all to me but now that I've gotten used to the iPhone it and Note 3 may seem like behemoths. Thing is, the thing I do least on my phone is talk, and even then some of that time is spent bluetoothed to my car or on speaker. So a mini tablet with voice capability is all I need much of the time. That is not an uncommon use-case scenario which is why I think phablets are gaining popularity now. The only reason I got a Retina Mini LTE was to offset the iPhone's smaller screen since I'd been happy with a larger screen. Come to find out this is even better for me right now. Sometimes I just want a discrete device and the iPhone offers that.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.


  2. #527  

    Default Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    The G2 (one of my favorites) comes in at 5.2" and didn't seem oversized at all to me but now that I've gotten used to the iPhone it and Note 3 may seem like behemoths. Thing is, the thing I do least on my phone is talk, and even then some of that time is spent bluetoothed to my car or on speaker. So a mini tablet with voice capability is all I need much of the time. That is not an uncommon use-case scenario which is why I think phablets are gaining popularity now. The only reason I got a Retina Mini LTE was to offset the iPhone's smaller screen since I'd been happy with a larger screen. Come to find out this is even better for me right now. Sometimes I just want a discrete device and the iPhone offers that.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    I can relate with the idea of a discrete device. Sometimes when I do simple things like laundry or supermarket stuff in nice weather, I like to keep it simple. Shorts, slippers, small wallet, basic keys, and a pocketable device that allows u to walk around and forget ur carrying anything at all.

    We don't walk out the door and watch media while we go about our daily lives. And if you can do that at work, you prob have a job that gives you a computer at your desk, like me. If I want more media in my life, I have a tablet. But to be honest, I find myself barely even needing that. And with chromecast and Apple TV, there's no phone size or tablet that can trump a flat screen HDTV


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. #528  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Yeah, but I have the most precious little 4-year old and he likes to sit in front of my 60" Samsung and so I've come to like to lay and bed or sit in my recliner and have my "personal" screen...so that's where my tablets come into play.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.


  4. #529  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Yeah, but I have the most precious little 4-year old and he likes to sit in front of my 60" Samsung and so I've come to like to lay and bed or sit in my recliner and have my "personal" screen...so that's where my tablets come into play.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    lol. Can't argue with that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. #530  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    No, not flawed. Folks at these OEM's get paid to "sense" the market. I just don't subscribe to the idea that they're all missing the mark. As much you may want this type of handset doesn't mean that enough other consumers do to make manufacturing a top-end handset a profitable venture. I'd look at phones like the S3 Mini and S4 Mini and HTC One Mini...though, they're not high end how are they selling? If they're sales are not great is it because they're not high-end or because they're smaller? The marketing departments research these types of things at at least one of the big OEM's I'd like to think. ...but I could be very wrong.

    I've heard a lot of folks talk about what they want in a handset but a smaller handset with top-end internals has never been a recurring theme by the majority of them. Whatever they do has to be profitable and not just appealing to a small subset of the market. Sure, somebody like Samsung could take a risk and make a flagship-type small handset, they seem to want to create a lot of handsets so.... Maybe the S5 Mini will be the type of device you're interested in.
    Quite possibly. The S4 mini was a decent device, although I would have preferred a little more power. I was all set to buy it when it finally came to Sprint, until I learned that I wouldn't be able to use it overseas. Despite holding a grudge against Motorola, I think I am happier with the Moto X than I would have been with the mini. It is more powerful and feels nicer in the hand.
  6. #531  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Quite possibly. The S4 mini was a decent device, although I would have preferred a little more power. I was all set to buy it when it finally came to Sprint, until I learned that I wouldn't be able to use it overseas. Despite holding a grudge against Motorola, I think I am happier with the Moto X than I would have been with the mini. It is more powerful and feels nicer in the hand.
    The Z1 Compact is the only flagship type smaller handset that I know of. I've that it will work on T-Mo and AT&T if it ever comes to the states. I'm just happy with my iPhones for today. We'll see what next month brings. If they could just do the S5 the way I'd like to see than I'd sell one of my 5S'. We shall see.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.


  7. #532  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I think you have more people looking for an all-in-one experience, which is why the larger phones are growing in popularity. People think that their phablets can replace the need to for a phone and tablet. Though in my view, what you get is a severe compromise on both ends of the equation, which isn't worth it. I'd rather have a smaller, lighter phone that is more comfortable to carry, and use a large 10" tablet for entertainment viewing.

    But as some others have said, it's getting hard to find appropriately sized smartphones (Under 5"). Most phones in that category are low-end phones, or "mini" phones of big name brands that have mid-tier specs.
    Last edited by Jonathan Rosenthal; 02-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.
  8. #533  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rosenthal View Post
    But as some others have said, it's getting hard to find appropriately sized smartphones (Under 5"). Most phones in that category are low-end phones, or "mini" phones of big name brands that have mid-tier specs.
    I don't think that's a problem. Those mini devices might be "lesser" spec'd, but if it performs well then that's all that counts. OEM's will continue to push what they're feel is going to move large quantities of inventory. So if that means sticking to larger screens then that's what we'll see come to market.


    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #534  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I don't think that's a problem. Those mini devices might be "lesser" spec'd, but if it performs well then that's all that counts. OEM's will continue to push what they're feel is going to move large quantities of inventory. So if that means sticking to larger screens then that's what we'll see come to market.
    People don't like to buy devices that they feel aren't as "future resistant". These mini devices might work great, but people will wonder if it will work great in 6 months, or whether or not they will receive the latest software update, or whether they will be able to take advantage of a new feature.

    I do agree though that the manufacturers are going to continue to grow their phones, because that's what the public seems to want. I'm not gonna cry about it... I just don't agree with that notion. I personally don't want to carry around a giant phone (which still has a relatively small screen for media viewing), but that is a minority opinion.
  10. #535  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I think its fine for OEM's to grow their phones as long as there is at least 1 good hi-end option for those that want something iPhone-sized (but don't want an iPhone). Right now, its looking like the Sony Xperia Z Compact is the only hi-end compact and I don't think its at US shores yet, though they say its' GSM is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.


    Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    Live long and prosper.


  11. #536  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I think its fine for OEM's to grow their phones as long as there is at least 1 good hi-end option for those that want something iPhone-sized (but don't want an iPhone). Right now, its looking like the Sony Xperia Z Compact is the only hi-end compact and I don't think its at US shores yet, though they say its' GSM is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.


    Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    That's the problem. It's not fair that we have next to no choices in this segment. The only phone that comes close to high end had not even reached our a shores.

    Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
  12. #537  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I wonder if it's because there is little US market interest in compact non-iPhones. ...if most androiders are looking for 4.5"+. I doona know.


    via the phone ⚪️
    Live long and prosper.


  13. #538  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I wonder if it's because there is little US market interest in compact non-iPhones. ...if most androiders are looking for 4.5"+. I doona know.


    via the phone ⚪️
    They are anticipating market interest, and in my view, very incorrectly. Most minis fail because they are also mini on specs. They are not seeing that and therefore not taking risks in designing a phone that we want. It's a shame cuz I think the buzz is there. Just look at the attention the Xperia Z compact got for being high end. I think the market is there. Not all iPhone users want to stick with Apple products solely

    Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
  14. #539  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    They are anticipating market interest, and in my view, very incorrectly. Most minis fail because they are also mini on specs. They are not seeing that and therefore not taking risks in designing a phone that we want. It's a shame cuz I think the buzz is there. Just look at the attention the Xperia Z compact got for being high end. I think the market is there. Not all iPhone users want to stick with Apple products solely

    Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    I think you hit exactly what the issue is, and to be honest I am not sure why these companies do not see it?

    When not make a Samsung S5 with the 5.2" display as well as a 4.3" (or something to that effect) but with the same or damn near same specs? Same with all the other phone companies, I really think they are missing out on a market that does want a powerful phone in the less than 5" size.
  15. #540  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    I think you hit exactly what the issue is, and to be honest I am not sure why these companies do not see it?

    When not make a Samsung S5 with the 5.2" display as well as a 4.3" (or something to that effect) but with the same or damn near same specs? Same with all the other phone companies, I really think they are missing out on a market that does want a powerful phone in the less than 5" size.
    I also think they can't. Iphone is unique, since it has a dual core processor and does not have the absolute greatest specs. And because of that, they get away with the smaller form factor. Android may be a different beast and needs a far superior processor and chipset to run "as smooth." So an idea I had about this was also that top notch specs just don't fit as well into an android machine like it does in an iphone. But that's just my thought.

    An htc one in 4.3in with top specs would be amazing! Or even better, an all aluminum Moto x with a modified snapdragon 800 and 64gb of ram.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. #541  
    loki993's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Apple could put a turd in a box, call it icrap and still sell a million of them. You cant compare Apple to android...Apple sells more iphones because they are apple..not because if their size. They had a built in market with the ipod and it was a natural transition. They are also amazing marketers....

    That said I shake my head when I see a new phone come out and the screens get larger and larger...the original Galaxy note was 5.3 inches or something and I though it was ridiculously huge... now the M8 is out at 5 and the S5 is going to be 5.1 if rumors are true the G3 will be 5.3 or something!!!! We were forced off of the keyboard for screen size...I still haven't found a software keyboard with consistently good prediction or that doesn't just refuse to correct half the time. Yet we are forced to use them, same will happen with big phones....eventually there will be no choice...

    I went into the store the other day to play around with the new M8 and the first thing I said was wow...this is big.....too big in fact. Than I look at the minis and they all have inferior specs...If you want a high end phone that's actually still the size of a phone you simply cant get one. You either have to go with high end specs and a giant phone...or middle of the road, if not worse, specs and have a reasonably sized phone. I really don't play games on my phone....kills the battery too fast and I dont watch a ton of video on my phone for pretty much the same reason...plus...even on a 5 inch screen its less than ideal.

    Still I don't know if the market is really there, the manufacturers and the providers have done a fairly good job of convincing people that bigger is always better and a lot of people dont have a hang up about wearing their phones on their belts like I do.
  17. #542  

    Default Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Apple could put a turd in a box, call it icrap and still sell a million of them. You cant compare Apple to android...Apple sells more iphones because they are apple..not because if their size. They had a built in market with the ipod and it was a natural transition. They are also amazing marketers....

    That said I shake my head when I see a new phone come out and the screens get larger and larger...the original Galaxy note was 5.3 inches or something and I though it was ridiculously huge... now the M8 is out at 5 and the S5 is going to be 5.1 if rumors are true the G3 will be 5.3 or something!!!! We were forced off of the keyboard for screen size...I still haven't found a software keyboard with consistently good prediction or that doesn't just refuse to correct half the time. Yet we are forced to use them, same will happen with big phones....eventually there will be no choice...

    I went into the store the other day to play around with the new M8 and the first thing I said was wow...this is big.....too big in fact. Than I look at the minis and they all have inferior specs...If you want a high end phone that's actually still the size of a phone you simply cant get one. You either have to go with high end specs and a giant phone...or middle of the road, if not worse, specs and have a reasonably sized phone. I really don't play games on my phone....kills the battery too fast and I dont watch a ton of video on my phone for pretty much the same reason...plus...even on a 5 inch screen its less than ideal.

    Still I don't know if the market is really there, the manufacturers and the providers have done a fairly good job of convincing people that bigger is always better and a lot of people dont have a hang up about wearing their phones on their belts like I do.
    I agree with you 100% about android overall. High end android Phones r ridiculously too big. It's a form over function thing that's run a muk!

    I do however disagree with 2 things though. I believe there is a market for it. And I think that the opinion that more people that use iPhones are attached to the ecosystem is wrong. I think you'll find that there are a lot more attached to the quality and size rather than the ecosystem alone. If you weed out those who bought iPhones because they were more manageable, I'm willing to bet that it'll be a more 50/50 split between the size preferences.

    Second, I also don't hold Apple to a standard where they can push out anything and make it sell. Yes, their products sell.... Now! But give them one or 2 cycles of bad products and you will see their decline too. They aren't immune to going under. They can just outlast a bad run better than say... Blackberry.

    Apple is successful not because their Apple. They are successful because they know what people want... They get at the very heart of what a picky electronics buff wants! No gimmicks. And people flock to Apple because Apple isn't viewed as a company chasing the market. They follow a philosophy, and the public respects it and holds it to a higher standard. Blackberry use to be that way post Apple/Android days. But today, Blackberry, HTC, and even Samsung, believe it or not, just chases the public. In the end, Sammy will fall faster than u might think, and it's because they follow that mindset and don't have a devoted fan base as strong as Apple does.

    So in the end, I think Motorola has the single shot at getting it right! But that's me. I think a Moto x 2, same size, high end, with good design characteristics and good materials will kill! Especially when marketed with the gorgeous Moto 360. But that's just my layman 2 cents for ya.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-04-2014 at 08:33 AM.
  18. #543  
    loki993's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    We will see but Ive had my own issues with moto in the past. Im sure there is a market for high end smaller phones as I know id be one of the first to buy one..but there has to be something to the strategy they are using currently. All one has to do is look at the way they deploy a flagship and then a couple months after release an even bigger Max or note version or whatever. I do think however that they are hurting sales of the minis at least somewhat by releasing them with inferior specs..I wish one would at least try it once.

    Im in the same boat though In considering the iphone because if of its size and from what most people say it actually has a usable software keyboard. Even still that's a bit long in the tooth specwise, though it still runs great, and Im not sure I want to wait until September for the new one to come out. also Im not sure Im ready to give up all the control I have over my device by going apple....Im a bit of a flasaholic when it comes to my phones.
  19. #544  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by dobermans rule View Post
    I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

    Is there anyone out there that agrees???

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    Only phones that are just too big are things like the galaxy mega which is insane.

    Note 3 is as big so a phone should be.

    Iphones are just too small though

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #545  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Only phones that are just too big are things like the galaxy mega which is insane.

    Note 3 is as big so a phone should be.

    Iphones are just too small though

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    I think the nitch is definitely there for phablet style phones. But I think it's still a nitch. Why? Because it breaks the function over form philosophy with "mobile!" And anytime you do that so that "other" features are exploited by the trade off, for me, that's a nitch product. Now that's not to say that one day the idea if a phone will not change to the point that audible communications will be a thing of the past (god I hope not), but we aren't there yet, by any means.

    Can an iphone be a bit larger? Sure! But today's norm in mobile seems to be 5in screens and up. People have little choice but to buy what is available, so in essence, it's definitely being forced upon you if you're looking to future proof your investment. I think the voices are there crying for change. The blogs definitely see it! You hear and read about the problem pretty regularly. I think OEMs are scared to go back to smaller in fear of it looking like a downgrade. Imagine a GS6 with a 4.8 screen. I don't see that happening. It's like conceding that you went in the wrong direction.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  21. #546  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Niche


    Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘
    Live long and prosper.


  22. #547  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Niche


    Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘
    Yesss lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  23. #548  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I blacked out and I just came to and saw I posted that. Sorry, its that d@mned english natzi in there. Trust me, I'm trying to do something about it. :-)


    Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘
    Live long and prosper.


  24. #549  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    I have been extremely happy with the Nokia 1020 which is 4.5". I was a little apprehensive about changing over to Windows 8 mobile but I have to say it's been a very good eperience. Buying the camera grip which adds an additional 5 hours of operation is defiantly a must. In fact liked Windows 8 so much I also purchased a Nokia 2520 tablet with the keyboard battery case, the combination of the two gives me 18 hours of operation. I do have a Samsung Pro 8.4 so I haven't completely gone to the dark side but I kind of wish I would have waited and gotten the new Lenovo Thinkpad 8 instead.
  25. #550  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    I think you hit exactly what the issue is, and to be honest I am not sure why these companies do not see it?

    When not make a Samsung S5 with the 5.2" display as well as a 4.3" (or something to that effect) but with the same or damn near same specs? Same with all the other phone companies, I really think they are missing out on a market that does want a powerful phone in the less than 5" size.
    I think it's a resource issue. The more powerful processors and high-pixel screens draw more power, and that requires a larger battery. So they make the phone larger to hold the battery.
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Phone is too big to use with one hand
    By jmz768 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
  3. Emails are too big in stock email app
    By robyn25 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
  4. Attention Evo Owners - Is the phone too big?
    By archer7056 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  5. Android users should not get too attached to their phones UI?
    By FrankTheTank369#AC in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

B