Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 603
Like Tree129Likes
  1. #151  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,170 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Some ppl want large devices, some small. The amount that want large is disproportionately large in the net. That's the way it is.

    In the last year there has been no top tier small device. Until there is, this argument will go round and round with no end. And I don't think there will be any time soon because large devices are cheaper to make so oems will naturally gravitate.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  2. #152  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Mark my words. If this new larger iphone is released the older 4 inch sized iphones will disappear within a year.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  3. #153  
    ansa82's Avatar

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    581 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by dobermans rule View Post
    I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

    Is there anyone out there that agrees???

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    Why do you think the manufacturers are making bigger phones?? Because there are many people interested in bigger phones!! Some of us like them! Others like you enjoy smaller phones... thankfully we all have a choice and can get what we like!

    Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums
  4. #154  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Discuss, debate and above all else have a good time but lets try and keep things from getting personal folks. I'm starting to see things heat up and some finger pointing ' comments ' being thrown back and forth at one another. Lets not go down that road.

    Thanks.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  5. #155  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Lol... U big phone fan boys only listen to what u want. If there was choice, this thread wouldn't have been started lol... Stubborn minds geeez!

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  6. #156  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    Lol... U big phone fan boys only listen to what u want. If there was choice, this thread wouldn't have been started lol... Stubborn minds geeez!

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    There is choice....thats part of what makes your stance so confusing... It might not be the choice you want...but its choice... Who says we are supposed to upgrade phones every year or 2? Its offered, available but we dont have to take it. I have been living month to month in my apt for over a year now. No one made me, didnt hold a gun to my head to sign a new lease... Who says we are supposed to get the newest, latest n greatest phone when its available? I lived by Ebay for years getting older phones.

    I might stay with my current phone for the next few years if nothing out there calls my name. For everything I do with my phone....its fine as is. Like I said earlier...if it wassnt for the bigger battery and chance for a better screen...I would still be using my RAZR instead of the Maxx HD. And I almost got a Bionic just for the FM radio. If a new feature pops up in the near future on a newer phone....I will have to see when the time comes.
  7. #157  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    My feelings it comes down to personal preference and what your daily lifestyle or 'usage habits' are with your smartphone. I have an older Nexus S 4G which is now considered small by today's standards and I have my Sprint GNex and my wife's SGS III. I can get by using any of these varying screen sizes but in my opinion I do prefer the bigger screen size and phone now that I've used them for some time. It makes my entire smartphone experience easier and more enjoyable over my older smaller screen phone.

    Same time I can see where people with smaller hands or those who are more into just using it as a ' phone ' and not doing a lot of extensive web surfing, texting, etc might prefer the smaller size.

    I believe both size phone should stay in circulation to give the option to those who prefer to pick a smaller more compact device over the bigger, bulkier SGS 3's, G Note 2's, etc that are becoming the trend today.

    Last thing I feel we should be doing is allowing the OEM's to dictate what size phone we should be using in the future. There should still be some varying sizes to fit everyone's need's and style and still allow both big or small to be running and using the latest and greatest technologies.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  8. #158  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    My feelings it comes down to personal preference and what your daily lifestyle or 'usage habits' are with your smartphone. I have an older Nexus S 4G which is now considered small by today's standards and I have my Sprint GNex and my wife's SGS III. I can get by using any of these varying screen sizes but in my opinion I do prefer the bigger screen size and phone now that I've used them for some time. It makes my entire smartphone experience easier and more enjoyable over my older smaller screen phone.

    Same time I can see where people with smaller hands or those who are more into just using it as a ' phone ' and not doing a lot of extensive web surfing, texting, etc might prefer the smaller size.

    I believe both size phone should stay in circulation to give the option to those who prefer to pick a smaller more compact device over the bigger, bulkier SGS 3's, G Note 2's, etc that are becoming the trend today.

    Last thing I feel we should be doing is allowing the OEM's to dictate what size phone we should be using in the future. There should still be some varying sizes to fit everyone's need's and style and still allow both big or small to be running and using the latest and greatest technologies.
    Very sensible response

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #159  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    OEM's aren't dictating anything we the buyers are. How is this even an argument.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  10. #160  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Also Rican you still have not told anyone what you need a tiny high powered super phone for since your "communication first".

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #161  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    He just wants the top tier Android Phone to be smaller than 4.5 inches. The irony is that there are few choices that are at the top of the food chain on Android yet the opposite is true on Apple. I bet their forum has many more people complaining about the smaller iphone than our forum complaining about our phones being too big.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  12. #162  
    serpico's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    After a week owning a Note 2, it feels weird holding my old iphone 4. It feels like a toy and the screen is so small. It's amazing how using a bigger phone changes your perception of your older phone so quickly. This past weekend I went out with my wife and everyone at the table couldn't believe the size. By the end of the night we had a few converted to upgrading their phones!
    Thanked by:
  13. #163  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    He just wants the top tier Android Phone to be smaller than 4.5 inches. The irony is that there are few choices that are at the top of the food chain on Android yet the opposite is true on Apple. I bet their forum has many more people complaining about the smaller iphone than our forum complaining about our phones being too big.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I understand his want brad my issue lies in the logic and hypocrisy behind it. He claims communication is his biggest need yet for some peculiar reason he needs a top end phone to do that. My question is why if comms are your primary concern do you need a super powered miniature Linux computer.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    zapfrog likes this.
  14. #164  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I understand his want brad my issue lies in the logic and hypocrisy behind it. He claims communication is his biggest need yet for some peculiar reason he needs a top end phone to do that. My question is why if comms are your primary concern do you need a super powered miniature Linux computer.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Quite honestly, that's a very silly question that I actually answered a few posts before. But i do understand that stubborn minds will only read or see what they wanna see...

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #165  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    This notion that if you're not doing media and gaming, that you do not need a powerful device is ridiculous... Sorry but it is! With all the things a smart phone can do and all the apps that are brought to the table, you honestly believe that only media/gaming is the rational behind the specs???

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2


    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

    I reposted my response to your question. You're welcome...
  16. #166  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    That's not a response that's avoidance you aren't actually responding just being vague

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #167  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    And so because 52% want 4 to 4.9 inch screen that is what I should have??? Really??? I'm one of the 27%. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. The vast majority of phones fit the 52%. I like it that I can have my GN2 and others can have their iphone. Near as I can figure this is a philosophical string of posts that has no meaning in the real world. If we all wanted the same phone, there would only be one phone mfg and only one phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    As I said before, most phone owners want a 4-4.5 inch phone. The latest (december 2012) survey of 4061 north american respondents from changewave.com lends some support to this:

    3 inch screen or less: 3%
    3.0-3.9 inch screen: 18%
    4.0-4.9 inch screen: 52%
    5 inch or larger: 27%

    I wish the survey broke down the numbers in half am inch increments but it did not. That is why I said SOME evidence. This is the most recent survey that I could find.


    Sent from my iPhone 7
    jroc and mightyfacundo like this.
  18. #168  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnpudas View Post
    And so because 52% want 4 to 4.9 inch screen that is what I should have??? Really??? I'm one of the 27%. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. The vast majority of phones fit the 52%. I like it that I can have my GN2 and others can have their iphone. Near as I can figure this is a philosophical string of posts that has no meaning in the real world. If we all wanted the same phone, there would only be one phone mfg and only one phone.
    I don't think that's their logic. I think its more of why not both. But there is no anecdotal evidence to support that the majority of that 52% want sizes below 4.5" therefore rendering this particular set of statistics in a very rough place.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    badbrad17 likes this.
  19. #169  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Not only is the 4-4.9" portion misleading (both the iPhone and GS3 fall into that category), but isn't it up to companies to change things and to show people what they want? Like Apple did with the iPad. I was convinced that no one needed a tablet before the iPad came out. After, I began seeing use cases for them that made sense. I feel that large screened phones are similar. Once they are here, people will understand that that is actually what they want.
  20. #170  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I understand his want brad my issue lies in the logic and hypocrisy behind it. He claims communication is his biggest need yet for some peculiar reason he needs a top end phone to do that. My question is why if comms are your primary concern do you need a super powered miniature Linux computer.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh I get it. I discussed this topic until we were blue in the face many months ago. The conversation is very similar :banghead:

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  21. #171  

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Oh I get it. I discussed this topic until we were blue in the face many months ago. The conversation is very similar :banghead:

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

    He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  22. #172  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

    He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Um no actually I never once said choice was bad I simply bring facts that counter your opinion at which point you just call me a child instead of backing up anything you have said.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  23. #173  
    nj1266's Avatar

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

    Default Are phones getting too big?

    Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...-sales-strong/

    6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

    AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

    As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.


    Sent from my iPhone 7
  24. #174  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...-sales-strong/

    6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

    AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

    As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.


    Sent from my iPhone 7
    Again I've had this discussion iPhone sells for more than screen size. Prove the number of people who buy strictly for its size. Also apple may cave and build a 4.8" Google it the iPhone math.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  25. #175  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

    Also what about worldwide numbers. 1 billion active smart phones, android holds 75% globally. How many are over 4.5" I dunno but globally your argument starts to crumble a little.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Phone is too big to use with one hand
    By jmz768 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 01:01 PM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
  3. Emails are too big in stock email app
    By robyn25 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
  4. Attention Evo Owners - Is the phone too big?
    By archer7056 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  5. Android users should not get too attached to their phones UI?
    By FrankTheTank369#AC in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions