Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Default Are phones getting too big?

Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: Are phones getting too big?

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    Again I've had this discussion iPhone sells for more than screen size. Prove the number of people who buy strictly for its size. Also apple may cave and build a 4.8" Google it the iPhone math.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Also what about worldwide numbers. 1 billion active smart phones, android holds 75% globally. How many are over 4.5" I dunno but globally your argument starts to crumble a little.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Again I've had this discussion iPhone sells for more than screen size. Prove the number of people who buy strictly for its size. Also apple may cave and build a 4.8" Google it the iPhone math.

I can say the same thing about those who buy large phones. They buy them for OTHER reasons than a large screen. People buy Android large phones because of customization and an open OS. So what you are saying works for both arguments.

You cannot say that people buy iPhones for OTHER than screen size and not say the same about large Android phones. You cannot have it both ways.

BTW, I have cited multiple data sources that those who want large phones on AC are in the minority. Where is your data that shows that those who want large phones are in the majority? Show me some data please!!!

Sent from my iPhone 7

Um no actually I never once said choice was bad I simply bring facts that counter your opinion at which point you just call me a child instead of backing up anything you have said.

You waste a lot of energy arguing why there "shouldn't" be a smaller high end. Anyway, this just goes round n round. And of course, you u have facts and i have nothing so you win lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Also what about worldwide numbers. 1 billion active smart phones, android holds 75% globally. How many are over 4.5" I dunno but globally your argument starts to crumble a little.

I do not have global numbers. Apple will declare its iPhone sales tomorrow. If you have Samsung sales broken down by model, then we can certainly compare the two and see which screen size is the majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    I do not have global numbers. Apple will declare its iPhone sales tomorrow. If you have Samsung sales broken down by model, then we can certainly compare the two and see which screen size is the majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    I would also add that you have to factor in the mere idea that android fans who want flagship Samsung have zero choice but big phones. With a lack of high end options, you can certainly take any #s, which I'm sure iphone will beat easily, and still shave a little off Samsungs #s based on a %age of ppl who would rather have a bit smaller, but sacrifice that desire for that "top of the line." Its just common sense... No #s need for that observation based on a simple lack of choice....and "some" desire for smaller! No matter how big or small that # might be..... . Again.... At the high end of the spectrum!

Nrm, don't try to fight common sense. You will lose.... Sorry! lol

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    I would also add that you have to factor in the mere idea that android fans who want flagship Samsung have zero choice but big phones. With a lack of high end options, you can certainly take any #s, which I'm sure iphone will beat easily, and still shave a little off Samsungs #s based on a %age of ppl who would rather have a bit smaller, but sacrifice that desire for that "top of the line." Its just common sense... No #s need for that observation based on a simple lack of choice....and "some" desire for smaller! No matter how big or small that # might be..... . Again.... At the high end of the spectrum!

You're silly son you think you use sense really again you use bad logic one you're only looking at Sammy two if android controls 75% of the global market that's around 750 million phones leaving apple with whatever it has after all the other OS's. My big thing is if the phones weren't what people wanted why would they sell and why would OEMS keep making them. Riddle me that genius. Clearly YOU in all your infinite wisdom wouldn't buy them so are you the only one is that your logic. Everyone else is stupid and buys no matter what. Your off your freaking rocker bud everybody has a choice you refuse to acknowledged them like always. Your the brilliant I know how everyone thinks and the markets wrong guy though so OK I guess you know better than multi billion dollar companies. Congrats on being a market master bro.

Global Posts
    11,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Calling out other members and letting the discussion get personal will not be tolerated. Keep the discussion civil.

1987 my first phone. HUGE. no different today except slimmer. Lightweight. Love my Note2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

I know you mean well in this. It's a tough battle to some degree as it comes off wrong. I wish that someone would make a top end 4 incher just to see what happened.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    ViperOne

This thread isn't that much fun anymore. Too much yelling and going in circles.

One thing I learned from dealing with people around campus and other schools is the only time they care about stats is if something comes up short. Pretty much only the tech nerds are making a big fuss over specs and locked bootloaders/jailbreaks.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Ry likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

just saw this article on my RSS feed.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    just saw this article on my RSS feed.

Well I liked the first part of the article, but I feel like it was cut off before he could really synthesize a good conclusion from the points he brought up.

I agree with the idea of one-upmanship that is and basically always has been rampant among Android OEM's, and that's why I'm especially excited to see how the phone market can spread laterally in terms of progress instead of linearly, i.e. Getting more cool new features instead of mostly just bigger and faster.

Regardless of what people want, or what we would like to think people want, screen size can only be a playing field for so long. We are quickly approaching the point at which OEMs will be forced to differentiate their product more on how they actually improve our (the consumers') lives, rather than providing us more space to accomplish the same task.

Edit, double post

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    Well I liked the first part of the article, but I feel like it was cut off before he could really synthesize a good conclusion from the points he brought up.

I agree with the idea of one-upmanship that is and basically always has been rampant among Android OEM's, and that's why I'm especially excited to see how the phone market can spread laterally in terms of progress instead of linearly, i.e. Getting more cool new features instead of mostly just bigger and faster.

Regardless of what people want, or what we would like to think people want, screen size can only be a playing field for so long. We are quickly approaching the point at which OEMs will be forced to differentiate their product more on how they actually improve our (the consumers') lives, rather than providing us more space to accomplish the same task.
    Ya good point. Perhaps once they make a tablet phone then we will just see what people really want rather than people buying based on the spec/size race.

Android Evangelist

I feel the same way. I cant wait until nexus is remade with better camera snd battery. Although I love my note depending on timing I may keep both it just released in taiwsn. Its galaxy premier same size as galaxy nexus just on touchwiz

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,181 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post

Totally agree.

This "size" race is pretty ridiculous. As a hardware engineering feat, Motorola releasing something like the RAZR M/i is more impressive than 4.7"+ phones.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Totally agree.

This "size" race is pretty ridiculous. As a hardware engineering feat, Motorola releasing something like the RAZR M/i is more impressive than 4.7"+ phones.
    Even a 4.7 inch phone doesn't seem that odd. It's the 5+ devices that are getting out of hand. I'm okay with it if the regular sized phones aren't being neglected but that doesn't seem like the case.

Android Evangelist

Even a 4.7 inch phone doesn't seem that odd. It's the 5+ devices that are getting out of hand. I'm okay with it if the regular sized phones aren't being neglected but that doesn't seem like the case.

Exactly... Personally, i held the razr maxx hd and it wasn't totally unacceptable. I don't "prefer 4.7", but i can roll wit it. My pet peeve is just "the lack of" rather than challenging what others may like.

Ry likes this.

Thats why I cant and wont have a note 2. Way too big. 5 inches is max if they do it right. My DNA is basically the same size as the s3, just a tad taller and with a 5 inch screen. Easily manipulated (for me) with one hand.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Viper

Exactly... Personally, i held the razr maxx hd and it wasn't totally unacceptable. I don't "prefer 4.7", but i can roll wit it. My pet peeve is just "the lack of" rather than challenging what others may like.

This is the boat I am in. I will go bigger than I would prefer the next phone I get just to get the features and specs I want. It is worth the sacrifice to me personally.

I think many others are in the same boat which is why sales numbers are pretty worthless until there is directly comparable set of devices...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Thanked by:
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

ROM
    ViperOne

Crossing 6 inch mark is over my edge except a Note because the S-Pen/Touchwiz features balances it out for me. I don't get the point in chasing Samsung with larger phones but not making them hybrids.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    6,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Personally for me I wouldnt want a phone any bigger then a 5 inch screen. I also wouldnt want a phone with a screen smaller then 3.7 inches,ha .
    As far as what size of screen size anyone else prefers its just that their preference,its all good.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Ya we certainly still need basic sized phones. My Nexus 4 feels almost exactly like my GS2. Side by side the are almost identical. The moderate increases in size didn't make much of a difference with the smaller bezel.

Android Evangelist
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast