Are phones getting too big?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This notion that if you're not doing media and gaming, that you do not need a powerful device is ridiculous... Sorry but it is! With all the things a smart phone can do and all the apps that are brought to the table, you honestly believe that only media/gaming is the rational behind the specs???

Also... If specs don't matter for smaller device users like myself, i wonder if how successful the Note and GS3 would be if they had 4in device specs! Apple would Crush them!!! Oh wait! Apple crushes them now! Get the point? Specs matter regardless of size.

Lastly, when customers don't have options for a high quality device, they just buy what's available, which in this case is big. If you factor what people truly want, "given the opportunity to have quality options on Android," you would see that note/gs3 sales #s cut drastically. Granted, as we see here, there are some that big phones, but regardless, you would see a huge cut, as it is very clear that a large portion of customers want a powerful 4-4.3in device because it is more practical in the mobile space.

And with that, you "actually" have use for a 7inch tablet! Phablets are cutting into what always was a very nice tablet size, and in my opinion, the perfect size for a tablet. If this tablet market goes under, its going to be at the hand of the ridiculous phablet, that only has success because there's no other option (like a monopoly).

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Again no data to back it up only speculation. And apple stomps the sales of everything not just big phones and I doubt its screen size since there's rumor of the iPhone math aka the 4.8" iphone. Go ahead Google it. We have had this same argument with you before iPhone sells for tons of reasons the second you can quantify the number that buy it ONLY for its size I will listen. You can't back up anything you say with any facts.

Edit: what do you do on your phone that demands high end computing power on your phone please enlighten me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Again no data to back it up only speculation. And apple stomps the sales of everything not just big phones and I doubt its screen size since there's rumor of the iPhone math aka the 4.8" iphone. Go ahead Google it. We have had this same argument with you before iPhone sells for tons of reasons the second you can quantify the number that buy it ONLY for its size I will listen. You can't back up anything you say with any facts.

Edit: what do you do on your phone that demands high end computing power on your phone please enlighten me.

I've learned through the years that facts are only facts when it's convenient. As far as this discussion goes, I call it logical perception (aka a good opinion). No one can ever go into every customer's head to pull out "facts" on either side.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You have no good opinions though since you treat the 1% like the 99%. 99% of people don't know or follow specs they don't care. 99% of people buy what they think is cool or fits their needs which there's models for everyone. If these people really felt the screen was too big they would buy something else end of it. There is no monopoly it's in your head.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This notion that if you're not doing media and gaming, that you do not need a powerful device is ridiculous... Sorry but it is! With all the things a smart phone can do and all the apps that are brought to the table, you honestly believe that only media/gaming is the rational behind the specs???

Also... If specs don't matter for smaller device users like myself, i wonder if how successful the Note and GS3 would be if they had 4in device specs! Apple would Crush them!!! Oh wait! Apple crushes them now! Get the point? Specs matter regardless of size.

Lastly, when customers don't have options for a high quality device, they just buy what's available, which in this case is big. If you factor what people truly want, "given the opportunity to have quality options on Android," you would see that note/gs3 sales #s cut drastically. Granted, as we see here, there are some that big phones, but regardless, you would see a huge cut, as it is very clear that a large portion of customers want a powerful 4-4.3in device because it is more practical in the mobile space.

And with that, you "actually" have use for a 7inch tablet! Phablets are cutting into what always was a very nice tablet size, and in my opinion, the perfect size for a tablet. If this tablet market goes under, its going to be at the hand of the ridiculous phablet, that only has success because there's no other option (like a monopoly).

Are ppl buying the Note and GS3 because its a bigger phone....or because they like Samsung phones....or they like the features, specs. Samsung already proved how successful they would be if they were smaller.....its called the GS2 line...

Your point about the 7" tablets.....thats makes more of a case for the phablets then to be popular. Its more mobile, smaller and you still get the tablet experience somewhat. A tablet that can make calls.....how many of them are out there? Now compare that to the Note2 and other phablets/huge phones...and you will start to see why they are getting more n more popular. I still dont like the size...lol. But..if I was gonna get my first tablet...these huge phones might sway my decision towards them instead of a tablet. Maybe you feel this way because you are a tablet owner..?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You have no good opinions though since you treat the 1% like the 99%. 99% of people don't know or follow specs they don't care. 99% of people buy what they think is cool or fits their needs which there's models for everyone. If these people really felt the screen was too big they would buy something else end of it. There is no monopoly it's in your head.

I guess the expert market research you spoke so eloquently about was wrong and they wasted their time with the spec wars all these years.

And Wow! 99% is a big #! I bet you couldn't get 99% to agree that the world was round! Pretty interesting "non factual" # you have there lol

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Gs2 actually covers a few screen sizes if memory serves and they are dropping phones under the s2 moniker even now with plenty respectable specifications.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess the expert market research you spoke so eloquently about was wrong and they wasted their time with the spec wars all these years.

And Wow! 99% is a big #! I bet you couldn't get 99% to agree that the world was round! Pretty interesting "non factual" # you have there lol

Lol OK son do we need to do this again. That's a generally accepted saying. As far as numbers go let's assume most people who give two s***'s about specs are on forums last time I combined ac and xda's users and out of 1 billion worldwide active phones our users add up to roughly 0.6% of smartphone owners so care to try me again hotshot.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Gs2 actually covers a few screen sizes if memory serves and they are dropping phones under the s2 moniker even now with plenty respectable specifications.

I also meant GS1...I meant the line that were all 4". Its been that long since the GS1 line was out? They sold well too for a smaller phone made by Samsung..

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Some ppl want large devices, some small. The amount that want large is disproportionately large in the net. That's the way it is.

In the last year there has been no top tier small device. Until there is, this argument will go round and round with no end. And I don't think there will be any time soon because large devices are cheaper to make so oems will naturally gravitate.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mark my words. If this new larger iphone is released the older 4 inch sized iphones will disappear within a year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

Is there anyone out there that agrees???:confused:

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Why do you think the manufacturers are making bigger phones?? Because there are many people interested in bigger phones!! Some of us like them! Others like you enjoy smaller phones... thankfully we all have a choice and can get what we like!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Discuss, debate and above all else have a good time but lets try and keep things from getting personal folks. I'm starting to see things heat up and some finger pointing ' comments ' being thrown back and forth at one another. Lets not go down that road.

Thanks.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol... U big phone fan boys only listen to what u want. If there was choice, this thread wouldn't have been started lol... Stubborn minds geeez!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol... U big phone fan boys only listen to what u want. If there was choice, this thread wouldn't have been started lol... Stubborn minds geeez!

There is choice....thats part of what makes your stance so confusing... It might not be the choice you want...but its choice... Who says we are supposed to upgrade phones every year or 2? Its offered, available but we dont have to take it. I have been living month to month in my apt for over a year now. No one made me, didnt hold a gun to my head to sign a new lease... Who says we are supposed to get the newest, latest n greatest phone when its available? I lived by Ebay for years getting older phones.

I might stay with my current phone for the next few years if nothing out there calls my name. For everything I do with my phone....its fine as is. Like I said earlier...if it wassnt for the bigger battery and chance for a better screen...I would still be using my RAZR instead of the Maxx HD. And I almost got a Bionic just for the FM radio. If a new feature pops up in the near future on a newer phone....I will have to see when the time comes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My feelings it comes down to personal preference and what your daily lifestyle or 'usage habits' are with your smartphone. I have an older Nexus S 4G which is now considered small by today's standards and I have my Sprint GNex and my wife's SGS III. I can get by using any of these varying screen sizes but in my opinion I do prefer the bigger screen size and phone now that I've used them for some time. It makes my entire smartphone experience easier and more enjoyable over my older smaller screen phone.

Same time I can see where people with smaller hands or those who are more into just using it as a ' phone ' and not doing a lot of extensive web surfing, texting, etc might prefer the smaller size.

I believe both size phone should stay in circulation to give the option to those who prefer to pick a smaller more compact device over the bigger, bulkier SGS 3's, G Note 2's, etc that are becoming the trend today.

Last thing I feel we should be doing is allowing the OEM's to dictate what size phone we should be using in the future. There should still be some varying sizes to fit everyone's need's and style and still allow both big or small to be running and using the latest and greatest technologies.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My feelings it comes down to personal preference and what your daily lifestyle or 'usage habits' are with your smartphone. I have an older Nexus S 4G which is now considered small by today's standards and I have my Sprint GNex and my wife's SGS III. I can get by using any of these varying screen sizes but in my opinion I do prefer the bigger screen size and phone now that I've used them for some time. It makes my entire smartphone experience easier and more enjoyable over my older smaller screen phone.

Same time I can see where people with smaller hands or those who are more into just using it as a ' phone ' and not doing a lot of extensive web surfing, texting, etc might prefer the smaller size.

I believe both size phone should stay in circulation to give the option to those who prefer to pick a smaller more compact device over the bigger, bulkier SGS 3's, G Note 2's, etc that are becoming the trend today.

Last thing I feel we should be doing is allowing the OEM's to dictate what size phone we should be using in the future. There should still be some varying sizes to fit everyone's need's and style and still allow both big or small to be running and using the latest and greatest technologies.

Very sensible response

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
OEM's aren't dictating anything we the buyers are. How is this even an argument.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Also Rican you still have not told anyone what you need a tiny high powered super phone for since your "communication first".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams