Are phones getting too big?

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
There's GS3 mini ya know :D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Yes but what do u get? 1ghz instead of 1.5ghz... 1gb instead of 2gb.. you're proving the point a lot of people are making. For people that want 4-4.5in screens the high end choices are few and no doubt, dwindling. The GS3 mini is a joke that shouldn't even carry the S3 brand; Samsung just slapped it on there to sell more phones and honestly, it's a little misleading. My point is I have an S3.. buy the mini and I'll smoke you performance-wise.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes but what do u get? 1ghz instead of 1.5ghz... 1gb instead of 2gb.. you're proving the point a lot of people are making. For people that want 4-4.5in screens the high end choices are few and no doubt, dwindling. The GS3 mini is a joke that shouldn't even carry the S3 brand; Samsung just slapped it on there to sell more phones and honestly, it's a little misleading. My point is I have an S3.. buy the mini and I'll smoke you performance-wise.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

That's nice and all but try finding a lot of non phone nerds that would care about that. Seriously most of those people aren't squeezing every drop of power from their phones and can care less about the stat sheet. Even overclocked my phone is crushed by your S3 but that extra power would be wasted because my daily usage wouldn't need that power.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Lol people buy phones with way more power than they need normally. The average user goes on fb and plays angry birds they don't need a powerhouse device they buy it because its popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They are given powerful devices within size constraints. Of course the smaller devices dont seem high end anymore when you compare them to bigger devices. You can't fit the power of the Note 2 into a 3.5inch phone . Even iphone knew this, you think they went bigger for a bigger screen NOPE! if that was the case they wouldnt have just made the thing longer, bigger screen was just an excuse to fit in a little more power.

The reason you dont see a 1080P 4" phone is because it is extremely difficult to pull that type of resolution in a tiny screen. So as time goes on and bigger phones get more powerful smaller phones will seem like they are falling behind becoming low end devices when in fact they are just hitting their limits. Until micro electronics become someone even smaller then thy are going to hit a plateu

I agree with this statement. If they tried to put this technology into a smaller configuration, something would suffer. The battery compartment would not be big enough to house a battery that will give it decent life. If they tried to make it thicker to hold a fatter battery, some people would complain that a 10mm device is not "high end".
To me, the reason I would love a phone in the 5-5.5" range is because I have no intentions on getting a tablet. I just can't justify having 2 devices that basically do the same thing with the same speed, except for the fact that you can't make phone calls on a tablet.
I think of this size of phone as more of a crossover all-purpose size...like an crossover vehicle. If you can afford a full size truck and a compact, good for you. For most people, a small SUV or crossover does the trick just fine.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I like the bigger phones. Works with my hands much more comfortably. As a media consumption device large screens are great.

carlaraptor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I understand your point, OP. I suppose the thing to bear in mind is that people use their phones for a variety of different reasons. My boyfriend uses an iPhone 4 and thinks my Note 2 is insane! But then, he likes to have a compact phone that fits easily in his pocket; he is on the move a lot and has a relatively physical job. On the other hand, I work in an office and absolutely love having a bigger screen.

It's great to have the choice on a variety of sizes, and personally I'm loving the whole phablet thing. ^_^ I adore my Note 2.

Grifter9931

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It just depends on how you use your phone and how it fits into your personnel eco system.
I was just @ CES and was hands one with a bunch of phones and the Lenovo K900, felt the best in my hands.
I have big hands and it just works in my hands. It would make logging into RDC much easier for me, as well as typing etc..
I like the Note 2, but my hand were love with the Lenovo phone ..... *sigh*

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this statement. If they tried to put this technology into a smaller configuration, something would suffer. The battery compartment would not be big enough to house a battery that will give it decent life. If they tried to make it thicker to hold a fatter battery, some people would complain that a 10mm device is not "high end".
To me, the reason I would love a phone in the 5-5.5" range is because I have no intentions on getting a tablet. I just can't justify having 2 devices that basically do the same thing with the same speed, except for the fact that you can't make phone calls on a tablet.
I think of this size of phone as more of a crossover all-purpose size...like an crossover vehicle. If you can afford a full size truck and a compact, good for you. For most people, a small SUV or crossover does the trick just fine.

No one ever said that I high end smaller devise would be easier or cheaper. It takes more competent engineers and usually more delicate manufacturing processes. Both of these do not come cheap. This is why manufacturers are so prone to push the sizes. With all of them dividing r&d budgets between half a dozen or more devises every year, they would rather shove 5" devises down the pike. Profit margins are greater along with the cookie cutter "mine is bigger than yours" marketing strategy that they can use.

The only way to change this is to wait on a devise that fits the top tier category and buy the heck out of it. Until that devise comes, most ppl that want one will go for the Iphone or go bigger. I personally don't see it coming, so bigger I will be forced to go next purchase.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
No one ever said that I high end smaller devise would be easier or cheaper. It takes more competent engineers and usually more delicate manufacturing processes. Both of these do not come cheap. This is why manufacturers are so prone to push the sizes. With all of them dividing r&d budgets between half a dozen or more devises every year, they would rather shove 5" devises down the pike. Profit margins are greater along with the cookie cutter "mine is bigger than yours" marketing strategy that they can use.

The only way to change this is to wait on a devise that fits the top tier category and buy the heck out of it. Until that devise comes, most ppl that want one will go for the Iphone or go bigger. I personally don't see it coming, so bigger I will be forced to go next purchase.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357960859284.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357960859284.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 135

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, phones are too big. Hoping it's just a phase and top tier specs will return to 4.3 inch screens again. I'm probably dreaming, though. Did you see the size of that Huawei phone at CES? Obscene.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, phones are too big. Hoping it's just a phase and top tier specs will return to 4.3 inch screens again. I'm probably dreaming, though. Did you see the size of that Huawei phone at CES? Obscene.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

Obscene to you but to me it's awesome.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Size is why I'm on the fence about upgrading to the Note 2 or the iPhone 5. I like having a compact device but also love using apps on a large screen.

You could always get an iPhone 5, and then buy a Nexus 7 for tablet. But honestly the Note II is the way to go, it combines the best of both worlds!

Heifzilla

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 4s to my Note 2. I am not a "phone enthusiast". My reason for change? Consolidation. I was sick of dragging a tablet and my iPhone with me. I wanted a device that was useful to me as a phone, but could also work as a internet device that didn't have "squint vision" . I text and email constantly from my phone, but I also enjoy surfing the web, and got tired of having to switch to my tablet to be able to read stuff easily. The Note is a good middle ground.

Sent from my Note 2

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Obscene to you but to me it's awesome.

Although, I like that the OEMs are starting to trim the bezel as much as possible. It does help a lot. I'm thinking of getting the Sony Xperia ZL, which has very little bezel around it's 5 inch screen.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
All the phone companies bar apple offer a choice. I love my note 2 and its big. Some people think the galaxy s3 is big but now there is the s3 mini. There is choice out there to pick the size you want

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

ivrimon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Even though I'm waiting for my Nexus 4 to arrive I still think 4-4.3" is the best size for a smartphone screen as it can be used with one hand without having to dislocate my thumb!

Android manufacturers don't really offer a choice either as you can't get a phone of that size with top specs - particularly the screen. My phone now is 3.3" (yep that turned out to be too small) but the resolution is higher or equal to all the 4" phones today. I'm not even that bothered about the processor, I've just gotten used to high density screens and a friend's One S was noticeably fuzzy to me (as I was planning on getting that due to the good camera). Until the manufacturers make 'flagship' phones in a range of sizes to me they are not really offering choice on design - merely on price. Well I guess the Note is an exception but they seem to aiming for it to be a business phone for productivity from the advertisements I've seen.

The next generation of phones all seem to be 5" screens so it will be interesting to see how many people buy them as they can't be anywhere near as pocketable. I don't see the advantage of that size... It seems to me more of a way to stick 1080p on the spec sheet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae