Are phones getting too big?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
He just wants the top tier Android Phone to be smaller than 4.5 inches. The irony is that there are few choices that are at the top of the food chain on Android yet the opposite is true on Apple. I bet their forum has many more people complaining about the smaller iphone than our forum complaining about our phones being too big.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
After a week owning a Note 2, it feels weird holding my old iphone 4. It feels like a toy and the screen is so small. It's amazing how using a bigger phone changes your perception of your older phone so quickly. This past weekend I went out with my wife and everyone at the table couldn't believe the size. By the end of the night we had a few converted to upgrading their phones!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
He just wants the top tier Android Phone to be smaller than 4.5 inches. The irony is that there are few choices that are at the top of the food chain on Android yet the opposite is true on Apple. I bet their forum has many more people complaining about the smaller iphone than our forum complaining about our phones being too big.

I understand his want brad my issue lies in the logic and hypocrisy behind it. He claims communication is his biggest need yet for some peculiar reason he needs a top end phone to do that. My question is why if comms are your primary concern do you need a super powered miniature Linux computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I understand his want brad my issue lies in the logic and hypocrisy behind it. He claims communication is his biggest need yet for some peculiar reason he needs a top end phone to do that. My question is why if comms are your primary concern do you need a super powered miniature Linux computer.

Quite honestly, that's a very silly question that I actually answered a few posts before. But i do understand that stubborn minds will only read or see what they wanna see...

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This notion that if you're not doing media and gaming, that you do not need a powerful device is ridiculous... Sorry but it is! With all the things a smart phone can do and all the apps that are brought to the table, you honestly believe that only media/gaming is the rational behind the specs???

I reposted my response to your question. You're welcome...

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That's not a response that's avoidance you aren't actually responding just being vague

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
And so because 52% want 4 to 4.9 inch screen that is what I should have??? Really??? I'm one of the 27%. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. The vast majority of phones fit the 52%. I like it that I can have my GN2 and others can have their iphone. Near as I can figure this is a philosophical string of posts that has no meaning in the real world. If we all wanted the same phone, there would only be one phone mfg and only one phone.

As I said before, most phone owners want a 4-4.5 inch phone. The latest (december 2012) survey of 4061 north american respondents from changewave.com lends some support to this:

3 inch screen or less: 3%
3.0-3.9 inch screen: 18%
4.0-4.9 inch screen: 52%
5 inch or larger: 27%

I wish the survey broke down the numbers in half am inch increments but it did not. That is why I said SOME evidence. This is the most recent survey that I could find.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
And so because 52% want 4 to 4.9 inch screen that is what I should have??? Really??? I'm one of the 27%. As I said before, different strokes for different folks. The vast majority of phones fit the 52%. I like it that I can have my GN2 and others can have their iphone. Near as I can figure this is a philosophical string of posts that has no meaning in the real world. If we all wanted the same phone, there would only be one phone mfg and only one phone.

I don't think that's their logic. I think its more of why not both. But there is no anecdotal evidence to support that the majority of that 52% want sizes below 4.5" therefore rendering this particular set of statistics in a very rough place.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Not only is the 4-4.9" portion misleading (both the iPhone and GS3 fall into that category), but isn't it up to companies to change things and to show people what they want? Like Apple did with the iPad. I was convinced that no one needed a tablet before the iPad came out. After, I began seeing use cases for them that made sense. I feel that large screened phones are similar. Once they are here, people will understand that that is actually what they want.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Oh I get it. I discussed this topic until we were blue in the face many months ago. The conversation is very similar :banghead:

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh I get it. I discussed this topic until we were blue in the face many months ago. The conversation is very similar :banghead:

I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

Um no actually I never once said choice was bad I simply bring facts that counter your opinion at which point you just call me a child instead of backing up anything you have said.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/iphone-sales-strong/

6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon declared its sales numbers for the quarter:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/iphone-sales-strong/

6.2 million of the 9.8 million phones that it sold were iPhones. So 63% of the phones were 3.5-4 inches. 3.6 million phones were ALL other sizes. I really doubt that the 3.6 million phones were ALL more than 4.5 inch phones. But even if the 3.6 million were more than 4.5 inches, they are still in the MINORITY of buyers.

AT&T said something similar but they will give a detailed announcement on Thursday. I expect something similar, if not more, from AT&T.

As I said before, people on this forum who want a larger than 4.5 inch phone are in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Again I've had this discussion iPhone sells for more than screen size. Prove the number of people who buy strictly for its size. Also apple may cave and build a 4.8" Google it the iPhone math.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Also what about worldwide numbers. 1 billion active smart phones, android holds 75% globally. How many are over 4.5" I dunno but globally your argument starts to crumble a little.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Again I've had this discussion iPhone sells for more than screen size. Prove the number of people who buy strictly for its size. Also apple may cave and build a 4.8" Google it the iPhone math.

I can say the same thing about those who buy large phones. They buy them for OTHER reasons than a large screen. People buy Android large phones because of customization and an open OS. So what you are saying works for both arguments.

You cannot say that people buy iPhones for OTHER than screen size and not say the same about large Android phones. You cannot have it both ways.

BTW, I have cited multiple data sources that those who want large phones on AC are in the minority. Where is your data that shows that those who want large phones are in the majority? Show me some data please!!!

Sent from my iPhone 7

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Um no actually I never once said choice was bad I simply bring facts that counter your opinion at which point you just call me a child instead of backing up anything you have said.

You waste a lot of energy arguing why there "shouldn't" be a smaller high end. Anyway, this just goes round n round. And of course, you u have facts and i have nothing so you win lol

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Also what about worldwide numbers. 1 billion active smart phones, android holds 75% globally. How many are over 4.5" I dunno but globally your argument starts to crumble a little.

I do not have global numbers. Apple will declare its iPhone sales tomorrow. If you have Samsung sales broken down by model, then we can certainly compare the two and see which screen size is the majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not have global numbers. Apple will declare its iPhone sales tomorrow. If you have Samsung sales broken down by model, then we can certainly compare the two and see which screen size is the majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

I would also add that you have to factor in the mere idea that android fans who want flagship Samsung have zero choice but big phones. With a lack of high end options, you can certainly take any #s, which I'm sure iphone will beat easily, and still shave a little off Samsungs #s based on a %age of ppl who would rather have a bit smaller, but sacrifice that desire for that "top of the line." Its just common sense... No #s need for that observation based on a simple lack of choice....and "some" desire for smaller! No matter how big or small that # might be..... . Again.... At the high end of the spectrum!

Nrm, don't try to fight common sense. You will lose.... Sorry! lol

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that you have to factor in the mere idea that android fans who want flagship Samsung have zero choice but big phones. With a lack of high end options, you can certainly take any #s, which I'm sure iphone will beat easily, and still shave a little off Samsungs #s based on a %age of ppl who would rather have a bit smaller, but sacrifice that desire for that "top of the line." Its just common sense... No #s need for that observation based on a simple lack of choice....and "some" desire for smaller! No matter how big or small that # might be..... . Again.... At the high end of the spectrum!

Nrm, don't try to fight common sense. You will lose.... Sorry! lol

You're silly son you think you use sense really again you use bad logic one you're only looking at Sammy two if android controls 75% of the global market that's around 750 million phones leaving apple with whatever it has after all the other OS's. My big thing is if the phones weren't what people wanted why would they sell and why would OEMS keep making them. Riddle me that genius. Clearly YOU in all your infinite wisdom wouldn't buy them so are you the only one is that your logic. Everyone else is stupid and buys no matter what. Your off your freaking rocker bud everybody has a choice you refuse to acknowledged them like always. Your the brilliant I know how everyone thinks and the markets wrong guy though so OK I guess you know better than multi billion dollar companies. Congrats on being a market master bro.