Are phones getting too big?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One thing I would mention regarding one hand use is the placement of the back button. Samsung sometimes puts it in the bottom right but my Nexus 4 puts it in the bottom left. Ideally I prefer the bottom right as it is easier to press it when using my phone one handed. When it is on the left side I need to make more of an effort to reach over to press it. I know this doesn't consider left handed people but I think the majority of people use their phones with their right hand. some type of consistency on this would help one handed use.

Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm right handed and use my phone one handed with my left hand. Handedness has nothing to do with that. It's just bad placement. Ideally, they should not use capacitive/hardware buttons and Google should have a setting to reverse the order of the software buttons in settings. Easy and would make it work equally well no matter which hand you use to operate your phone.
Anything above 4.3 inches is a complete PITA for me to use one handed (this phone included), so BB and iphone are my only choices. Just waiting for Z10 release before I pull the trigger.

Don't think people understand how important ergonomics are. I don't want a phone that basically demands I use both hands to use it. That's impractical, and in some cases trying to use something that large one handed can be unhealthy. I'd never buy a Note 2, as I used one in the AT&T store and the laggy S-Pen wasn't worth the added inconvenience.

Also a PenTile 720p screen at that size looked like sh*t to me.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If you use your phone like I do, right handed, left handed doesn't matter, I'm only right handed when it comes to writing, when using my phone whatever hand is free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing I would mention regarding one hand use is the placement of the back button. Samsung sometimes puts it in the bottom right but my Nexus 4 puts it in the bottom left. Ideally I prefer the bottom right as it is easier to press it when using my phone one handed. When it is on the left side I need to make more of an effort to reach over to press it. I know this doesn't consider left handed people but I think the majority of people use their phones with their right hand. some type of consistency on this would help one handed use.

Anyone else notice this?

This would be an issue for me that i have never even thought of. But i think its because i never left my droid incredible 2, which has a different layout. But i agree 100%. A practical option would be for google to implement an icon swap option in the display settings to remedy this problem.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm right handed and use my phone one handed with my left hand. Handedness has nothing to do with that. It's just bad placement. Ideally, they should not use capacitive/hardware buttons and Google should have a setting to reverse the order of the software buttons in settings. Easy and would make it work equally well no matter which hand you use to operate your phone.
Anything above 4.3 inches is a complete PITA for me to use one handed (this phone included), so BB and iphone are my only choices. Just waiting for Z10 release before I pull the trigger.

Don't think people understand how important ergonomics are. I don't want a phone that basically demands I use both hands to use it. That's impractical, and in some cases trying to use something that large one handed can be unhealthy. I'd never buy a Note 2, as I used one in the AT&T store and the laggy S-Pen wasn't worth the added inconvenience.

That's what I hate about phones these days, ergonomics are thrown out the window to provide sleek designs with mammoth screens. I honestly believe manufacturers don't even consider how your going to hold the phone, they just want it to look good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what I hate about phones these days, ergonomics are thrown out the window to provide sleek designs with mammoth screens. I honestly believe manufacturers don't even consider how your going to hold the phone, they just want it to look good.

Yep... That's why I'm sayin hello to the blackberry z10! And I'm on Verizon! So i get it in white!!! Haha

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Haha, your first at bat and a home run! :p I think the Note 2 gets a bad rap regarding its size. I had reservations initially, but it's amazing how quickly you adapt to the larger size and how much it changes your whole outlook about other phones. It's so surreal now how small other phones look and feel. Every time I see a family member's iPhone or look at my old Thunderbolt, it's almost laughable how small and toyish they look. Always makes me think: "I used to use something so small? I could never use that again!" LOL To me it feels like the bar has been raised. Then again I?ve always primarily used my phones two handed, even though the Note 2 has a one-handed mode you can turn on that moves things toward one side to assist. Even without it, I have little problem hitting most of the screen with one hand anyway. I have to admit though, can't see a phone any bigger. It'd be like holding my Nexus 7 to my head. :eek: Not cool! :-! There is a limit. But I?d say the Note 2 is right in that sweet spot. If you?re hesitant about it, try out a store demo, you might be surprised (as I was). :)

i know everyone is different, but honestly, i cannot relate. Having both a droid incredible 2 and a nexus 7 tablet, i find myself going back to my phone for most things, including chatting on this forum. Why? First, its the faster typing. Second, the faster navigation through the os, especially with one hand. And third, as far as media is concerned, i honestly cannot spend much time watching video on "any device" that's smaller than a standard tv. That's not to say i would never do youtube or netflix, but honestly, i don't see much of a difference btwn a 4 inch device and a 7in device. Either way, its never going to be comfortable unless its on an tv. That said, i wouldn't trade that speed of typing and navigating simply for a slightly less uncomfortable video streaming experience.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I might go down that road too. Instead though, I might get the q10...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

I may just go that route too! The same applies above. If navigation and typing is better, then why not. Plus, i like the idea that, on the business side of things, i can type up long notes and reply to emails much more efficiently.

My only fear with blackberry is the lack of integration with gmail like an android device. I hope once we have blackberries in our hand that we can sync calenders, contacts, access drive, and get push email on the dime.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

love the idea of the swappable buttons. Great solution.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This would be an issue for me that i have never even thought of. But i think its because i never left my droid incredible 2, which has a different layout. But i agree 100%. A practical option would be for google to implement an icon swap option in the display settings to remedy this problem.

I do a lot of custom screens and I always setup my phone so icons i will need one handed are on the proper side.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep... That's why I'm sayin hello to the blackberry z10! And I'm on Verizon! So i get it in white!!! Haha

ya but sacrificing tons of features for one handed use is a really bad decision in my opinion. For you it may not matter, but there is no way I am going to a BlackBerry with far less proven media when I could get a HTC One S or RAZR M. Its just not good rational until the phone has proven itself.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
ya but sacrificing tons of features for one handed use is a really bad decision in my opinion. For you it may not matter, but there is no way I am going to a BlackBerry with far less proven media when I could get a HTC One S or RAZR M. Its just not good rational until the phone has proven itself.

There's no doubt that it's a risk. But as i always said, for me its more about communications and utility first, media second. My biggest fear is not having google services sync at its best. I have to see how that develops from now till release.

And now the rumored x phone is also appears to be a behemoth too, with a 5in screen.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Note 2 screen isn't pentile. It's exactly why I bought it over the S3.

5.5" is too much for me but I've gotten used to it. ~4.8" is my personal sweet spot. Loved the Nexus 4 for one handed use.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Yeah my thoughts too. BlackBerry 10 looks really nice, but so does windows phone, and 3 years after the launch of windows phone, it's still failing to make a splash in the market. At this point I think android and ios are just too well established and their isn't room for another player.

But the BB messenger looks brilliant and it's something android needs desperately

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
At this point I think android and ios are just too well established and their isn't room for another player.

Depends. There was an operating system called Symbian when the first iPhone came out and everyone was busy coding for the former and laughing at the latter.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Depends. There was an operating system called Symbian when the first iPhone came out and everyone was busy coding for the former and laughing at the latter.

Well blackberry was king when ios came out too, and Steve Jobs changed everything with his radically different design and approach to smartphones. Android was developed during the same time frame, but really took off as everyone was desperately looking for an iphone alternative.

Problem is blackberry just isn't different enough and its not a gamechanger. Only way your breaking into this market is you gotta have a gamechanger.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I do like the gestures, honestly the navigation bar is kinda stupid on android and still shows its roots as a button os. Don't see the point of getting rid of physical buttons if you're just going to put them on the screen anyway.

And is it just me or does the stock bb browser look a LOT like the AOSP browser? Is blackberry 10 forked android?