Are phones getting too big?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I never denied that iphone fans want a bigger phone... Or even that the 4" iphone may be a tad bit too small. But even you, defending the phablet, still won't make a point and use 5+inches to make that point. You stopped at 4.7! Why? Because deep down, you too believe that after 4.7, you get into nitch territory!

Just admit it! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just used 4.7 as an example. I have an S4 and I'd be willing to go bigger if the phone is smaller (G2 has a 5.2 inch screen in the same footprint)

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just used 4.7 as an example. I have an S4 and I'd be willing to go bigger if the phone is smaller (G2 has a 5.2 inch screen in the same footprint)

Apple's philosophy is to find the size that satisfies the most amount of customers. The iPhone has gotten to the point that I think we all agree that it has to grow. No one is arguing that. But collectively, the masses don't want 5in+ devices. They want quality high end practical devices, which is why Apple products resonates so much with people aside from the ecosystem.

If Samsung wants to make a special device and call it a Galaxy Note, hey, more power to them and the people that but it! But the S4 should def be smaller. By it also being 5inches, it makes literally no sense in terms of differentiating it's product line.

Same goes for any OEM trying to make a nitch product. Your basic flagship needs to be manageable and popular to the collective audience, and then u make your phablet nitch product! That's just my philosophy! But I know I'm right!

And just like your example above, I too agree that 4.7 (Moto X style) is the sweet spot!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Apple's philosophy is to find the size that satisfies the most amount of customers. The iPhone has gotten to the point that I think we all agree that it has to grow. No one is arguing that. But collectively, the masses don't want 5in+ devices. They want quality high end practical devices, which is why Apple products resonates so much with people aside from the ecosystem.

If Samsung wants to make a special device and call it a Galaxy Note, hey, more power to them and the people that but it! But the S4 should def be smaller. By it also being 5inches, it makes literally no sense in terms of differentiating it's product line.

Same goes for any OEM trying to make a nitch product. Your basic flagship needs to be manageable and popular to the collective audience, and then u make your phablet nitch product! That's just my philosophy! But I know I'm right!

And just like your example above, I too agree that 4.7 (Moto X style) is the sweet spot!

In my opinion the sweet spot is between 4.7 and 5.2 (Big window) but that's just me. There is still a big difference between the Note line and the S line. Anyone with a Note 3 feels that the S4 is too small and vice versa. I'd personally like a slightly bigger Moto X (4.85/4.9 would be perfect) and because of the small bezels, the phone isn't very big. The S4 is great, but with the bezels (not big but not thin either) it can be hard to reach all four corners. Apple has room for improvement with those thick bezels. They could easily fit a 4.5 inch screen in the same footprint.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion the sweet spot is between 4.7 and 5.2 (Big window) but that's just me. There is still a big difference between the Note line and the S line. Anyone with a Note 3 feels that the S4 is too small and vice versa. I'd personally like a slightly bigger Moto X (4.85/4.9 would be perfect) and because of the small bezels, the phone isn't very big. The S4 is great, but with the bezels (not big but not thin either) it can be hard to reach all four corners. Apple has room for improvement with those thick bezels. They could easily fit a 4.5 inch screen in the same footprint.

We can agree! And that's probably the size Apple needs to go to.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
There getting a little big, but so long as there is choice it doesn't matter. I'd like to see more high end choice in the 4.0 to 4.5 inch realm. It will be interesting to see if smart-watches catch on and to see if someday a smart-watch becomes a stand alone cell phone.
I guess you missed the Omate TrueSmart. That "someday" is already here. In fact you have been able to get smartphone watches for a while if you looked on eBay, but they weren't much good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It's never "too big" until no one buys them anymore. What's wrong with having a choice? Phablets are extremely popular in Asia partly because many can't afford a tablet AND a phone and phablets are a great compromise. Phablets are popular here as well and sale numbers prove it.

Anyone who says they are impractical.... it's only YOUR opinion so please don't try to make it a fact. 5-6" is impractical to you and 4" is impractical to those who pick phablets.
This is one of the most pointless threads I've seen in a while. Can't believe it got 15 pages already.

I guess this kind threat could make sense on an Apple blog since there's only one screen size and no choice but with Android you got any imaginable size (even pure Android phones now)

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's never "too big" until no one buys them anymore. What's wrong with having a choice? Phablets are extremely popular in Asia partly because many can't afford a tablet AND a phone and phablets are a great compromise. Phablets are popular here as well and sale numbers prove it.

Anyone who says they are impractical.... it's only YOUR opinion so please don't try to make it a fact. 5-6" is impractical to you and 4" is impractical to those who pick phablets.
This is one of the most pointless threads I've seen in a while. Can't believe it got 15 pages already.

Many ppl buy phablets because the highest specs are only available there. If you truly like choice, as you and others advocate, then you would also want to see top notch specs in a manageable size too. Once you see that, like the iphone, I'm pretty sure the market will react and bring it down a notch! Nothing pointless about that idea.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Many ppl buy phablets because the highest specs are only available there. If you truly like choice, as you and others advocate, then you would also want to see top notch specs in a manageable size too. Once you see that, like the iphone, I'm pretty sure the market will react and bring it down a notch! Nothing pointless about that idea.

I HIGHLY doubt many buy phablets because they have higher specs. Note 3 has an extra gig of memory, so what? Spec shoppers are the minority. I have 2 friends with Notes and both don't even know what's inside.
In any case, what you said about top notch smaller phone is a completely different subject. I have Moto X (came from GS4) and to me it's a perfect phone in terms of built materials and performance.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Riiiiight.....and it has nothing to do with having a nice big screen. Phablets are the best of both worlds.....great specs and nice big screen. Sweet spot? Well everyone's idea of a sweet spot is different. Thank God you don't make tech.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I HIGHLY doubt many buy phablets because they have higher specs. Note 3 has an extra gig of memory, so what? I have 2 friends with Notes and both don't even know what's inside.
In any case, what you said about top notch smaller phone is a completely different subject. I have Moto X (came from GS4) and to me it's a perfect phone in terms of built materials and performance.

Specs is everything for this strange market trend. You only have to read the news blogs to get that trend. Moto X got hit hard when it first came out because ppl didn't get the snapdragon 800 or a 1080p screen or 2 gb of ram. Once u make a flagship with specs that tech junkies can gloat over, like the iphone, it'll sell like hotcakes and kill the phablet market.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Riiiiight.....and it has nothing to do with having a nice big screen. Phablets are the best of both worlds.....great specs and nice big screen. Sweet spot? Well everyone's idea of a sweet spot is different. Thank God you don't make tech.

No but Apple does... And they're pretty successful with it too!

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Specs is everything for this strange market trend. You only have to read the news blogs to get that trend. Moto X got hit hard when it first came out because ppl didn't get the snapdragon 800 or a 1080p screen or 2 gb of ram. Once u make a flagship with specs that tech junkies can gloat over, like the iphone, it'll sell like hotcakes and kill the phablet market.

You are basing your entire argument on tech blogs... which are followed by a tiny minority of consumers. And sorry, but I couldn't help but LOL at your last line. Phablets are here to stay and I am very happy to see this. I LOVE the variety of screen sizes Google offers in Play Store. You are clearly pushing for less choices..... strangely

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
No but Apple does... And they're pretty successful with it too!

I guess you missed out on all kinds of polls where majority of iPhone users want a bigger screen. Apple only gives you one option so obviously if you are into Apple, you have no choice and buy what they offer

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You are basing your entire argument on tech blogs... which are followed by a tiny minority of consumers. And sorry, but I couldn't help but LOL at your last line. Phablets are here to stay and I am very happy to see this. I LOVE the variety of screen sizes Google offers in Play Store. You are clearly pushing for less choices..... strangely

First, u are incorrect. I'm also going by sales #s of all phones on the market. And yes, that includes iPhones. Tech blogs and podcasters are taking about the very same thing! When is the phablet craze going to stop!

Lastly, I'm absolutely not pushing for less choices. On the contrary, I'm pushing for something that technically is still not 100% there yet. I'm pushing for a normal size phone with top notch specs. I never once said they should eliminate phablets. I just think the trend needs to die. Why? Because people have LESS choice When all your top specs are in a 5+in screen size. So if anything, you're the one limiting choice here, not me

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
First, u are incorrect. I'm also going by sales #s of all phones on the market. And yes, that includes iPhones. Tech blogs and podcasters are taking about the very same thing! When is the phablet craze going to stop!

Lastly, I'm absolutely not pushing for less choices. On the contrary, I'm pushing for something that technically is still not 100% there yet. I'm pushing for a normal size phone with top notch specs. I never once said they should eliminate phablets. I just think the trend needs to die. Why? Because people have LESS choice When all your top specs are in a 5+in screen size. So if anything, you're the one limiting choice here, not me

iPhone never had top specs. Heck, I bet most iPhone owners don't even know the specs. Only this year they brought out a 64bit chip. And again, phablets don't need to stop. you are focusing on a wrong target

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
iPhone never had top specs. Only this year they brought out a 64bit chip. And again, phablets don't need to stop. you are focusing on a wrong target

IPhone, regardless of the politics had always been top spec world, class design and build quality, with a zoo of aftermarket accessories and apps to go with it. The ecosystem both hardware accessories and software is top notch for a reason. No other OEM can do this on its own.

So what I'm saying is that whether its Samsung, HTC, LG, or Motorola, one of them have to back one design scheme and one perfect size, then invest heavily in the decision made. Only then can an OEM single handedly take on Apple.

In other words, I don't believe 5in is the sweet spot.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
IPhone, regardless of the politics had always been top spec world, class design and build quality, with a zoo of aftermarket accessories and apps to go with it. The ecosystem both hardware accessories and software is top notch for a reason. No other OEM can do this on its own.

So what I'm saying is that whether its Samsung, HTC, LG, or Motorola, one of them have to back one design scheme and one perfect size, then invest heavily in the decision made. Only then can an OEM single handedly take on Apple.

In other words, I don't believe 5in is the sweet spot.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Wait, you were talking about specs and now you switched to "class design and build quality". What in the hell does this have to do with phablets? And no, iPhone has never been top spec.... that's the nice thing about iPhone... it performs very smoothly w/out top specs (just like Moto X by the way). Zoo of aftermarket accessories only because there's only one model!!! Obviously it's very convenient for a company to make one type of accessory and call it a day.
What's wrong with HTC One? HTC One Mini? Bad sizes LOL?
I'm not gonna bother responding to you anymore, just making a point

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Right! But go to 5+ and they'll be a backlash! Universally, 5+ is just not practical! It's funny how everyone who comments keeps supporting my view while fighting it at the same time! U guys just like to argue!

I don't think of an Apple phablet replacing any of their current offerings. That'd be a bad and stupid move, IMO. It would need to be in addition to their current offerings, which is why I disagree with you. Everyone doesn't want puny but everyone doesn't want robust either. Right now puny us the only option.

CM on OgPro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca