Are phones getting too big?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, the Moto X is cream of the crop. The display is sexy, the specs are awesome. There is nothing low end about this phone. I think that Google and Motorola are working on fixing that. Google is getting ready to rock the cell world via Moto.

I agree! I really really want this phone to succeed! I think it's an everyday man's machine (and woman lol). Sometimes I hear mixed reports but I do know that the market can be very mean to very good things. And as for the Moto X, that is just about my only fear with this device.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree! I really really want this phone to succeed! I think it's an everyday man's machine (and woman lol). Sometimes I hear mixed reports but I do know that the market can be very mean to very good things. And as for the Moto X, that is just about my only fear with this device.

I think the biggest thing they have going for them is that Google is backing this thing, and owns Motorola. They have spent a ton of time and effort making it a very sexy and functional phone. I love mine with a passion.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I would love for a Nexus 5.5. Big screen and stock Android would be perfect. I can handle my friends Note 3 without a problem so 5.5 would be even better.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With what smart phones can do I think the screens are way to small. I have since abandoned my smart phone for a dumb phone, tablet and mifi. I save alot of money and now my tablet activity doesn't get interrupted with called or texts. I can upgrade to anything with wifi to get Verizon LTE speeds on any device be it my laptop or tablet. Now my smallest screen is 7 inch.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
With what smart phones can do I think the screens are way to small. I have since abandoned my smart phone for a dumb phone, tablet and mifi. I save alot of money and now my tablet activity doesn't get interrupted with called or texts. I can upgrade to anything with wifi to get Verizon LTE speeds on any device be it my laptop or tablet. Now my smallest screen is 7 inch.

I have a friend that did the exact same thing but he is with cricket.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Only thing you lose is a good camera from the smartphone :\

Posted via Android Central App

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a nice variety. If you want a large one, they have them. If you want a smaller one, they have them too. I like the variety. I had an S4 but went to the Moto X for a few reasons. One of them was size. But I recognize the fact that not one size fits all.

Thank you for that! There are all types of sizes for each individual.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe that one size fits all, but I do believe that one size fits most. They usually call that "the sweet spot." For android OEMs right now, it seems that hovering at 5in is their sweet spot that they're pushing.

That's the only part I disagree with. I think the effort should be placed on something 4.5 to 4.7 like the Moto X, and then a 5+in phablet as a nitch device for those who want big. Also, there's no reason that both devices cannot be cream of the crop and have identical specs.

In my world, a GS4 would be 4.7 and a Note would be 5+. The way it is today, it's hard to differentiate why 2 5in+ phones exist in the same space, from the same manufacturer.

Apple thinks about this all the time when they make a new phone and complimentary tablet offering like the iPad mini or air. They want to make sure that their devices don't overlap and cause the lineup to be illogical.

So to me, android OEMs are chasing their tail more than anything else when they opt to go bigger just to say their product has improved over the year before. That's why I call it gimmicky! Nothing irrational about that view, agree or disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have he note 1&2 and i only use them for my home devices now. When i bought my Moto x i was really surprised how much i enjoyed the smaller form factor. Really nice to use. Dont think i'll be lugging a bigger phone aound again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think smartphone screen sizes are progressing like laptop screen sizes. HP and Dell started shipping massive laptops at the beginning of the 2000s - 17 and then 19 and then 20 inches - but the hype has largely died down. Most people in the market for laptops that serve general purposes generally don't buy anything outside of the 13-17 inch range. You still see a lot of 19 inch laptops on the market but they're more or less considered niche items.

There are an increasing number of 5.7-inch and 6-inch phones on the market, but I think those phones will remain niche products going forward. But I think smartphone sizes are really stabilizing around the 5 inch mark and there's good reason to believe the iPhone will finally reach 5 inches soon or in the coming years. 5 inches is a really good size for a flagship phone. Most people are still floored by the idea of a 5 inch phone but I think most will warm up to it. I remember seeing a 17 inch laptop and wondering why someone would lug it around and now I'm envious looking at 17 inch laptops from my 13 inch MBP.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Big screen phones dont work for me.
I like pocketable phones that dont dont really feel like they are in your pocket, hate holsters.
I like phones that are easy to use one handed
The min. size screen I like is 4.5 the max would be 5.0,.... 5.1 would be to big.Thats why the Moto X is the perfect screen size and perfect overall size for me. :).

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Big screen phones dont work for me.
I like pocketable phones that dont dont really feel like they are in your pocket, hate holsters.
I like phones that are easy to use one handed
The min. size screen I like is 4.5 the max would be 5.0,.... 5.1 would be to big.Thats why the Moto X is the perfect screen size and perfect overall size for me. :).

I agree! My only issue is that I think all OEMs should focus their flagships in this size. If they want phabs, that's great! There's a market for it! But everything high end is 5+ and that's not cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just got my 6.4" Z Ultra GPE. Honestly its big but its the perfect size for me. It may be a little annoying in a front pocket but I have big hands and a big head so it just feels like the right size.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got my 6.4" Z Ultra GPE. Honestly its big but its the perfect size for me. It may be a little annoying in a front pocket but I have big hands and a big head so it just feels like the right size.

Yeah I think most heads are just too small for some phones but phone can't get too big. The market tells us what is right.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

Is there anyone out there that agrees???:confused:

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Like your choice of dogs, disagree with you re phone size. :)

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Apparently the asian peoples dont think there are big enough smartphones and release a 6.8" phone. :eek:
Hisense X1
Snapdragon 800
2GB RAM
1920x1080
3900mah
LTE
Dual SIM

Smartphone, phablet or tablet?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot if buzz over the new Sony Experia Z1 compact over at CES because it's top of the line in a 4.3in form factor. I think the time is coming that it's all coming back to reality. OEMs r realizing that "minis" shouldn't mean "mini specs" too!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1