Are phones getting too big?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
We haven't had choices. No flagship in compact form factor is a lack of choices. That's starting to change now, but the argument never was about limiting choices. That's total fubar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what your talking about. There are all sorts of sizes out there. Maybe one manufacturer doesn't make a size that one person might want, but that hardly means we have no choices.

The OP asked if phones were getting too big. That's like asking if tennis shoes are getting too big because Nike makes a size 18? People with big hands might want big phones, and that's OK as long as they keep making other sizes too.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what your talking about. There are all sorts of sizes out there. Maybe one manufacturer doesn't make a size that one person might want, but that hardly means we have no choices.

The OP asked if phones were getting too big. That's like asking if tennis shoes are getting too big because Nike makes a size 18? People with big hands might want big phones, and that's OK as long as they keep making other sizes too.

We haven't had a 4.3-4.5 compact size with top of the line specs to be considered a flagship. The Moto X in some respects is a flagship and the new Sony Experia Z1 Compact is also a flagship, but before those 2, all "mini" smart phones were considered "low end" for the emerging market. It is somewhat changing a bit now, but no, there haven't been choices in every size. That's why ppl gravitate toward iphones instead. As Android users that love choice, I'm surprised how those of u that love big phones because of the choices..... don't support having flagship choices in a smaller size for the rest of us. You seem to want the bells and whistles in your Notes and GS4s, but when it comes to 4.3in screen size, you wonder why we don't think the downgraded specs is "good enough!"

Lets see how Well a Note 4 sells with a dual core processor with 720 res screen at 5.5 inches and a meg of ram. It won't sell at all! So tell me again why this doesn't matter for us, but matters for you phab fans?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the Xperia ZL, which is the smallest phone with a 5 inch screen out there. That being said, I'm looking forward to picking up the Xperia Z1 Compact that's only going to have a 4.3 screen. It's the year of the smaller phone for me.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the Xperia ZL, which is the smallest phone with a 5 inch screen out there. That being said, I'm looking forward to picking up the Xperia Z1 Compact that's only going to have a 4.3 screen. It's the year of the smaller phone for me.

Is that available in the states?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how big the Galaxy S5 screen will be, im planning to buy but not if its any bigger then S4/LG G2..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Probably going to max out at around the size of the G2. I wish they'd just put on-screen keys on their phones, and make the bezels smaller :p

Posted via Android Central App

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I hope so too. It seems as if you can buy a phone from the Sony website but I'm not sure.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, you can. Sony just drags on letting us order the phones the rest of the world get earlier. If I had to guess based on history, we'll probably be able to order from their website by like May or something.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you can. Sony just drags on letting us order the phones the rest of the world get earlier. If I had to guess based on history, we'll probably be able to order from their website by like May or something.

Oh, that's good news! Thanks. :):thumbup::beer:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Phones are getting too big, yes.

But as long as smaller phones are still available, I'm not going to sweat it right now. Options. They exist.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Phones are getting too big, yes.

But as long as smaller phones are still available, I'm not going to sweat it right now. Options. They exist.

The problem is that they are scarce or do not exist as high end devices

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
We old farts like the bigger screens. I currently use a GS3. Would love a Sony but VZW currently doesn't offer them. May move up to Note 3 or 4 when my Contract is up in Sept. Hope by then VZW offers the Sony line.

Posted via Android Central App