Are phones getting too big?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Another big phone lover here. I do a lot of reading on mine, so bigger makes sense to me. I also have quite long fingers so reaching power buttons and across big screens is possible for me. I understand how some people want smaller screens though - particularly ladies. A lot of females have smaller hands and want smaller phones. I think, eventually, we will see phones being offered in different sizes - look at the Z1/Z1 Compact for instance.
I think that technology is just getting to the point where it's possible to make a smaller phone with a powerful processor and a battery that lasts a few hours. I hope to see a lot of phones offered in variable sizes in the next few years.

I have a moto x that I bought for its (smaller) size. Today I am using my old photon while a screen protector "cures". It's larger than the x. And it reminds me how much I prefer the smaller size. :)

But I do appreciate the large bright screen on my husband's galaxy s4. I can see why guys with big hands would prefer it.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
After seeing people use a note 3, my HTC Amaze feels like a midget. I need more screen!!!! Still waiting for a Nexus phablet though....

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. Why is it so hard for manufacturers to make "mini" devices that have the same top of the line specs. Sony showed us that it's possible, why is it not a thing!?

Posted via Android Central App

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. Why is it so hard for manufacturers to make "mini" devices that have the same top of the line specs. Sony showed us that it's possible, why is it not a thing!?

And look at all the buzz that's got! The other OEMs missing the ball this badly???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the market for top-end Mini devices has been there.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Lack of product

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

The market is only ready when the OEMs are ready??? I have to disagree. I think the market has been ready for a long time now. And since there is a lack of android products, people turn to iphone.

Also, when they up the screen size, u can see that they are very thoughtful about it. When android OEMs do it, it's gimmicky at best.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The market is only ready when the OEMs are ready??? I have to disagree. I think the market has been ready for a long time now. And since there is a lack of android products, people turn to iphone.

Also, when they up the screen size, u can see that they are very thoughtful about it. When android OEMs do it, it's gimmicky at best.

There are A LOT of android OEM's. My inference here is that if at least one of them saw a market demand for high-end small handsets they'd answer it. Others may have the position that the plethora of OEM's are all ignoring/choosing not to address that market.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
There are A LOT of android OEM's. My inference here is that if at least one of them saw a market demand for high-end small handsets they'd answer it. Others may have the position that the plethora of OEM's are all ignoring/choosing not to address that market.

So your logic is, if the OEMs don't sense it, it don't exist? Flawed thinking there in my view. The market also wasn't ready for an iPad and Apple changed the world. No OEM truly knows what the market wants. I believe that smaller high end device buzz is def there! U can sense it in the complaints people have when they look at the out of control device sizes, and u can sense it in the buzz the Moto x and sony experia z compact have. U can also sense it in the iphone and the number of customers it has over any android OEM. It may need to get bigger than 4in today, but it doesn't mean that suddenly the Apple community wants 5in screen iPhones. There def is a medium. It's not black n white or all or nothing.

So in the end, the noise is there. If OEMs don't sense it, it doesn't mean they know everything. If they all did, then they would all being cash cows right now! They, with the exception of Samsung, are all struggling to find out what people want. And frankly, I'm of the belief that the bigger u are, the slower u react.

We on the other hand, as consumers can see it much clearer.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So your logic is, if the OEMs don't sense it, it don't exist? Flawed thinking there in my view. The market also wasn't ready for an iPad and Apple changed the world. No OEM truly knows what the market wants. I believe that smaller high end device buzz is def there! U can sense it in the complaints people have when they look at the out of control device sizes, and u can sense it in the buzz the Moto x and sony experia z compact have. U can also sense it in the iphone and the number of customers it has over any android OEM. It may need to get bigger than 4in today, but it doesn't mean that suddenly the Apple community wants 5in screen iPhones. There def is a medium. It's not black n white or all or nothing.

So in the end, the noise is there. If OEMs don't sense it, it doesn't mean they know everything. If they all did, then they would all being cash cows right now! They, with the exception of Samsung, are all struggling to find out what people want.

No, not flawed. Folks at these OEM's get paid to "sense" the market. I just don't subscribe to the idea that they're all missing the mark. As much you may want this type of handset doesn't mean that enough other consumers do to make manufacturing a top-end handset a profitable venture. I'd look at phones like the S3 Mini and S4 Mini and HTC One Mini...though, they're not high end how are they selling? If they're sales are not great is it because they're not high-end or because they're smaller? The marketing departments research these types of things at at least one of the big OEM's I'd like to think. ...but I could be very wrong.

I've heard a lot of folks talk about what they want in a handset but a smaller handset with top-end internals has never been a recurring theme by the majority of them. Whatever they do has to be profitable and not just appealing to a small subset of the market. Sure, somebody like Samsung could take a risk and make a flagship-type small handset, they seem to want to create a lot of handsets so.... Maybe the S5 Mini will be the type of device you're interested in.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the s3 and htc one minis are lower end is exactly the problem. And if u put so much value in android OEMs ability to sense the market, then why don't you do the same with Apple, considering that they beat every other OEM out there with their 3.5 and 4in screen sizes? They must sense something if they are very reluctant to go bigger so quickly! Why don't you value their sense? And they're pretty successful! So maybe you should. Get my point?

And you're trying to say that 5-6in screen size is whats normal, while 4-4.5in is a nitch product??? Really? Thinking about the rapid movement in the last 3 years and rethink your assessment again. Seriously!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The fact that the s3 and htc one minis are lower end is exactly the problem. And if u put so much value in android OEMs ability to sense the market, then why don't you do the same with Apple, considering that they beat every other OEM out there with their 3.5 and 4in screen sizes? They must sense something if they are very reluctant to go bigger so quickly! Why don't you value their sense? And they're pretty successful! So maybe you should. Get my point?

I read a report recently on the whole iPhone-bigger-screen thing. Wish I had saved the link. I think when they can do it and do it in the way they think they, devs, and consumers will be happy with it they will. For instance, I know I don't want a 5" iPhone with 264 ppi, like the iPad, I want no less than 326 ppi and I want the apps and interface to look right on it, not outlandishly blown up. I think Apple is working on this so I think we'll see a bigger iPhone that doesn't sacrifice the display quality we expect.

I wonder, would an iPhone Nano sell with a 3-3.5" screen and iPhone 5/s internals? It might sell, but how well? What's that sweet spot for a high-end smaller device's display? 3.5"? 4"?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I read a report recently on the whole iPhone-bigger-screen thing. Wish I had saved the link. I think when they can do it and do it in the way they think they, devs, and consumers will be happy with it they will. For instance, I know I don't want a 5" iPhone with 264 ppi, like the iPad, I want no less than 326 ppi and I want the apps and interface to look right on it, not outlandishly blown up. I think Apple is working on this so I think we'll see a bigger iPhone that doesn't sacrifice the display quality we expect.

I wonder, would an iPhone Nano sell with a 3-3.5" screen and iPhone 5/s internals? It might sell, but how well? What's that sweet spot for a high-end smaller device's display? 3.5"? 4"?

Well, there's a lot of opinion on sweet spot. Personally, I see the Moto x as the sweet spot. The problem for Apple is that their home button will always keep their devices longer with higher bezels on top and bottom. Because of that, a 4.7in device may not look as refined as say, the Moto x. But either way, for simplicity sake, I would say 4.5-4.7 max.

See, I'm not against bigger. I'm again the ridiculous 5+. As for the Note line, I actually support that only because it is sort of categorized as a nitch product. And I like that. My beef is when u call the galaxy S line of 5+ in the normal. Then u truly blur the line between normal and nitch.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if with these "mini" phones we've seen ...if the OEM's were testing the waters to see how well they'd sell. Now, the point that they may not be selling better BECAUSE they're specs aren't high-enough is very interesting. Also, the HTC One Mini left a lot more to be desired than just better specs. The build wasn't nearly as nice as the One itself. I still don't understand that one.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if with these "mini" phones we've seen ...if the OEM's were testing the waters to see how well they'd sell. Now, the point that they may not be selling better BECAUSE they're specs aren't high-enough is very interesting. Also, the HTC One Mini left a lot more to be desired than just better specs. The build wasn't nearly as nice as the One itself. I still don't understand that one.

And if they go by the actual #s of mini devices sold, they miss the entire point of "high end" in a smaller package (function over form). I like to compare Apple because in contrast, they pack much proven technology into a small package which is impressive, while not adding anything gimmicky. And while I am in the group that believes the iphone should be bigger as well, I think these days, 4.3-4.7 is still considered quite small. This is why don't understand how android fans try to argue the reverse and say 5+ is the normal and the smaller sizes are the nitch products. It's a complete loss of reality.

I'm 36 years old and I've been using cell phones since the Motorola Microtac Elite. I even played with the "Zack Morris" phone for a short time. I've seen the trends go all over the place every few years as technology changes and evolves. This is no different! It will come back to reality eventually.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I see the point that all the flagships shouldn't be over 5". I think that was just a screensize war and I think that's been played out. However, don't see most OEM's releasing dual flagships. Many many people want that 5", 5"+ phone...5.5" - 6"+ is definitely a niche. So if the anddroid flagships are gonna hover around 5" I don't see them releasing the same kind of specs in a 4-4.7" phone as well. The specs may continue to take a hit, like they believe the screen size is. Unless, unless, folks stop buying those larger phones in record numbers and sales of their smaller handsets start spiking.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually very happy with the iPhone's size as I have a rMini LTE and Air LTE for when I want bigger but I realize some don't want/can't get multiple devices. Folks just seem to really like that 5" screen since it seems to make consumer media more entertaining. BTW, what is unattractive about the S4 Mini to you? Carrier availability? I've used the S3 Mini and its not high-end but it quite the capable mini.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I see the point that all the flagships shouldn't be over 5". I think that was just a screensize war and I think that's been played out. However, don't see most OEM's releasing dual flagships. Many many people want that 5", 5"+ phone...5.5" - 6"+ is definitely a niche. So if the anddroid flagships are gonna hover around 5" I don't see them releasing the same kind of specs in a 4-4.7" phone as well. The specs may continue to take a hit, like they believe the screen size is. Unless, unless, folks stop buying those larger phones in record numbers and sales of their smaller handsets start spiking.

I do believe you're right. And as long as minis end up coming out with mini specs, they won't gain traction. I think a lot is riding on the experia z compact. I don't see OEMs dropping screen size year after year, I just don't see that happening. But I do see them coming out with comparing flagships. I mean it's "almost" happening now! Anyone catch the Samsung Black Edition? It's going to be available in both s4 style and mini. That's how I see this going forward. 2 sizes, or even 3 until the market decides what it wants.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually very happy with the iPhone's size as I have a rMini LTE and Air LTE for when I want bigger but I realize some don't want/can't get multiple devices. Folks just seem to really like that 5" screen since it seems to make consumer media more entertaining. BTW, what is unattractive about the S4 Mini to you? Carrier availability? I've used the S3 Mini and its not high-end but it quite the capable mini.

Capable, but remember, the market is still in spec war mentality. That's why the Moto X got a bad rap for a while. Super buttery smooth, but on paper, the spec race junkies didn't like it as much. And that's unfortunate. Cause that's prob what drove it's destiny to be gobbled up by Lenovo. Now Moto has an uncertain future because of that bad rap

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer