Why are the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 horrible names.

What should be the Next Nexus lines name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
So all while the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are amazing devices the names leave us wondering of what the next devices will be called. Nexus 4 is a bit obvious, it's the 4th installment of the Nexus phone line. Nexus 7 & 10 get their names from their size. Will they continue to just go up in numbers from now on. 2013: Nexus 5, Nexus 8, Nexus 11? 2014: Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus 12. The only problem with this is that come 2015 we'd see a Nexus 7 phone and a Nexus 10 7-inch tablet. I would love for Google to continue the phone line with Nexus 5 but go in a different direction when it comes to their tablets. Nexus M for 7-inch tablet and Nexus L for 10-inch tablet. Then after that we can get a Nexus M2 and a Nexus L2. What do you guys think? What should me the next Nexuses names?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So all while the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are amazing devices the names leave us wondering of what the next devices will be called. Nexus 4 is a bit obvious, it's the 4th installment of the Nexus phone line. Nexus 7 & 10 get their names from their size. Will they continue to just go up in numbers from now on. 2013: Nexus 5, Nexus 8, Nexus 11? 2014: Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus 12. The only problem with this is that come 2015 we'd see a Nexus 7 phone and a Nexus 10 7-inch tablet. I would love for Google to continue the phone line with Nexus 5 but go in a different direction when it comes to their tablets. Nexus M for 7-inch tablet and Nexus L for 10-inch tablet. Then after that we can get a Nexus M2 and a Nexus L2. What do you guys think? What should me the next Nexuses names?

I think it should be the other way around. They should have names for the phones like they had before and they should have the numbers. But they will do whatever we want and if its a good product then it wont matter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's the Nexus 4 because it has a 4 (point 7) inch screen. Expect the names to stay the same in future releases, except for new sizes of Nexus.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I see them keeping Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 for future releases. We would have to differentiate by year, generation, manufacturer, or model number ,e.g. Nexus 4 by LG (2012).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I see them keeping Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 for future releases. We would have to differentiate by year, generation, manufacturer, or model number ,e.g. Nexus 4 by LG (2012).

...or 7.1, 10.1, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Joe Rico

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The naming scheme relies on simplicity.

It's possible Google haven't thought too far ahead but I think they'll figure something out.

If we have a Nexus 7 phone and a Nexus 7 tablet at some point in time people will just have to know if they're dealing with the current device or an older device.

CrazyRusski

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd assume they would keep it with Nexus ( Size of Screen ). But then they'd add a +, similar to Google+ so the next Nexus 4 would be the Nexus 4+. Just a guess though! Or they could just do what Apple does with the iPad and just keep the same name, but it has Generation 1, then Generation 2, etc

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Name doesn't matter to me. I'm not buying another Nexus after the Nexus 7. I learned the hard way that the frequent updates are a beta test train ride that I'm not interested in being a part of. I'm happy to freeze my Nexus 7 on 4.1.2 and my Note 2 on 4.1.1 (features of TouchWiz blow away vanilla Android anyway). :) IMO newer software is NOT always better software! :eek: YMMV :)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Why are the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 horrible names.

I'd assume they would keep it with Nexus ( Size of Screen ). But then they'd add a +, similar to Google+ so the next Nexus 4 would be the Nexus 4+. Just a guess though! Or they could just do what Apple does with the iPad and just keep the same name, but it has Generation 1, then Generation 2, etc

But Apple dont use any numers on those devices, not sure if it work as same as smooth with numbered Nexus

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Why are the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 horrible names.

I'm happy to freeze my Nexus 7 on 4.1.2 and my Note 2 on 4.1.1 (features of TouchWiz blow away vanilla Android anyway). :) IMO newer software is NOT always better software! :eek: YMMV :)

OEMs build on to of that stock. OEMs also tend to freeze laucher version on updates, my sgs2 on 4.0.4 does not support resizbale widgets due fact that they didnt update TouchWiz to support this feature.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: Odp: Why are the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 horrible names.

None of those. It should be:

Nexus phone
Nexus Tablet (this is the 10")
Nexus Portable (this is the 7")

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Odp: Why are the Nexus 4, 7 & 10 horrible names.

Nexus phone

Any of those devices are portable, so i don't think "Portable" would be good idea. Nexus 7 was kind of presented as Google's Kindle on IO, a device to access Google Play, so why not "Nexus Play"? :)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Any of those devices are portable, so i don't think "Portable" would be good idea. Nexus 7 was kind of presented as Google's Kindle on IO, a device to access Google Play, so why not "Nexus Play"? :)

Nexus phone

I actually like these ideas. Apple would probably sue them for using the word "phone" though. I'm sure the patented it too...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae