Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fatboy97
  • 1 Post By fatboy97
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Motorola Droid 5

Do you think we'll even hear about this device? Or is Motorola completely forgetting this line?

I gave my phone upgrade to my little brother (Which seems like he'll be getting the Maxx HD) because their was no news. I have the Droid 4, and is beginning to see it's age at almost a year old. Not much, but I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything, espc how close it was to the Droid 4.
    The next upgrade will be in may which is about the time of the X-phone (please not a july release.) I do hope that Motorola will bring back the OG Droid line with full force, and not a secondary phone for the "minority" of people who still prefer physical keyboards.
    - 4.3" (or perhaps even 4.7") HD screen
    - Tegra 4
    - 2800 mAh battery.
    - 8MP rear camera / 1080p Video / 2MP front camera
    - I think we can do bit more thinner, but still keep the heft. The Droid line however does keep getting bigger.
    - Bring back the fingerprint lock (lol..)

Default Re: Motorola Droid 5

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    Do you think we'll even hear about this device? Or is Motorola completely forgetting this line?

I gave my phone upgrade to my little brother (Which seems like he'll be getting the Maxx HD) because their was no news. I have the Droid 4, and is beginning to see it's age at almost a year old. Not much, but I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything, espc how close it was to the Droid 4.
    The next upgrade will be in may which is about the time of the X-phone (please not a july release.) I do hope that Motorola will bring back the OG Droid line with full force, and not a secondary phone for the "minority" of people who still prefer physical keyboards.
    - 4.3" (or perhaps even 4.7") HD screen
    - Tegra 4
    - 2800 mAh battery.
    - 8MP rear camera / 1080p Video / 2MP front camera
    - I think we can do bit more thinner, but still keep the heft. The Droid line however does keep getting bigger.
    - Bring back the fingerprint lock (lol..)
    I think the DROID line may be finished. Hardly anyone is making phones with physical keyboards anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My wife and I started with the Droid 2, she opted to upgrade to the Droid 4. I really wanted a physical keyboard, but that thing was just too bulky and the battery life was horrid. I went with the RAZR HD and love it, but would consider a physical keyboard again if they could find a way to make it less bulky and have a good battery life..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
    Droid 2 Global, Droid Razr HD, Moto X 32 GB (2014)

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I think if the droid 5 comes out it will be during the summer unlike HTC and lg.
    Motorola still care for customer with physical keyboard desire if u want them to make them go to their forums.
    Complaint to them so they can hear you with specs u mention.

I have droid 3 as backup i had droid 1, droid 2 global and 3rd since nov 2012. I can tell you is droid 3 is fast and if this fast i would be scared of droid 4.
    But anywho here the link.

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/351bd08275/posts
    Last edited by add119; 01-30-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemiskel View Post
    I think the DROID line may be finished. Hardly anyone is making phones with physical keyboards anymore.

Droid DNA, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr HD, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr M, Droid Incredible 4G... the Droid line doesn't look dead to me. If you mean that the physical keyboard Droids are dying off, maybe I could agree with that statement, but the Droid line is not dead!!!
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Good statement fatboy but Motorola and Samsung are the only one that care for physical keyboard. Everyone else is caring more for touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Droid DNA, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr HD, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr M, Droid Incredible 4G... the Droid line doesn't look dead to me. If you mean that the physical keyboard Droids are dying off, maybe I could agree with that statement, but the Droid line is not dead!!!
    I meant DROID as in the original Droid. You know, the one with a keyboard that the OP is about....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemiskel View Post
    I meant DROID as in the original Droid. You know, the one with a keyboard that the OP is about....

And the OP had the Droid 4, which is only a year old.... which is not the "original Droid."
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,722 Global Posts

If a DROID 5 was coming soon, it probably would have leaked by now. With Motorola wanting to scale back the number of devices, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that their landscape slider line was cut.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Wait for Mobile World Conference on Feb 25-28... typically we hear a LOT about what devices will come in the next year.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,722 Global Posts

Wait for Mobile World Conference on Feb 25-28... typically we hear a LOT about what devices will come in the next year.
    Has Motorola even shown CDMA/LTE Verizon devices at MWC?

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

The 4 was almost DOA, seems the Razr line is the new flagship DROID line. You could tell they were going to break away that line from day one with the DROID eris budget phone they offered with it. What I don't get is how they name some phones DROID and others they don't. I figured for sure the galaxy s would of been called the DROID galaxy not the fascinate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Has Motorola even shown CDMA/LTE Verizon devices at MWC?
    I'm pretty sure I waited last year and the Razr Maxx was announced at MWC.

****EDIT: I was wrong... admittedly... found this quoted here on CB: Announced: January 9, 2012. So the Maxx must have been announced at CTIA 2012.
    Last edited by fatboy97; 01-31-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    I do hope that Motorola will bring back the OG Droid line with full force
    And the OP had the Droid 4, which is only a year old.... which is not the "original Droid."
    Notice he asks about the line twice. Clearly he was talking about the OG DROID line, the ones with the keyboards so that's why I worded my response the way I did. From what I've gleaned, Moto doesn't have many phones scheduled to come out on Verizon so I'm thinking there won't be a new one. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Agree I'm waiting for droid 5 to replace my droid 3

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    If a DROID 5 was coming soon, it probably would have leaked by now. With Motorola wanting to scale back the number of devices, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that their landscape slider line was cut.
    Sadly, I believe you are correct. I posed the question in howardforums (where a lot of these phone rumors come from) a couple weeks ago about whether we'd see a Droid 5 sometime this year, and one of the more reputable sources implied not. According to those sources, we should only expect to see 2-3 devices from Moto for VZW, and it doesn't look like a slider will be one of them.

I was a Droid 2 owner, now a Droid 4 owner, and as much as I'd like to upgrade the current phone to another slider, I don't have high hopes that the option will be out there.

Howard forums is where I saw all that too. I remember when I was adamant about staying with phones with physical keyboards and then I ended up switching to the Galaxy Nexus. I can honestly say that I don't really miss the keyboard so maybe the same will happen for you guys too.

I was under the impression that the rumored X phone was more or less the next Droid device, with the plan of retiring the "Droid" line...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,722 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonybyatt View Post
    I was under the impression that the rumored X phone was more or less the next Droid device, with the plan of retiring the "Droid" line...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    The DROID line is Verizon's (via LUCASFILM), not Motorola's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    The 4 was almost DOA, seems the Razr line is the new flagship DROID line. You could tell they were going to break away that line from day one with the DROID eris budget phone they offered with it. What I don't get is how they name some phones DROID and others they don't. I figured for sure the galaxy s would of been called the DROID galaxy not the fascinate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Its Verizon brand. Both Verizon and the company in question have to want a phone to have the droid badge. Usually, the droid phones do not have close counter parts on other carriers. Similar but not very close. Every phone sold with the droid name has royalties given to Verizon and Lucas film or arts or whatever.

Why the original "droid" was named as such is kind of weird. I am assuming that is was Verizon that actually commissioned the phone more than moto willed its existence. Maybe it was Verizon that pulled the plug?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,722 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Its Verizon brand. Both Verizon and the company in question have to want a phone to have the droid badge. Usually, the droid phones do not have close counter parts on other carriers. Similar but not very close. Every phone sold with the droid name has royalties given to Verizon and Lucas film or arts or whatever.

Why the original "droid" was named as such is kind of weird. I am assuming that is was Verizon that actually commissioned the phone more than moto willed its existence. Maybe it was Verizon that pulled the plug?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Not very close?

DROID = Motorola Milestone
    DROID Eris = loosely HTC Hero
    DROID Incredible = loosely Google Nexus One
    DROID 2= Motorola Milestone 2
    DROID 3 = Motorola Milestone 3
    DROID Incredible 2 = HTC Incredible S
    DROID Charge = Samsung Galaxy S Aviator
    DROID Bionic = loosely Motorola Electrify/Photon
    DROID RAZR/RAZR MAXX = Motorola RAZR/RAZR MAXX
    DROID 4 = ?
    DROID RAZR M = Motorola RAZR i
    DROID RAZR HD/RAZR HD MAXX = Motorola RAZR HD/RAZR HD MAXX
    DROID DNA = HTC J Butterfly

Seems likes there's always a somewhat close counterpart available somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Chosen414 likes this.