Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

ROM
    Cold As Ice

Default Re: Are all phones gonna be 5 inches for now on?

It seems we are not getting or seeing all the phones out there. Samsung alone has several phones such as the Galaxy S3 mini a GSM only model, Galaxy Axiom a us cellular only. These are 4 inch screens. Hello Samsung we are calling from Sprint US.
    Thanked by:
    djw39 
    Issemann likes this.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan398 View Post
    Because every rumored phone Ive searched for so far seems to have a 5 inch screen or higher so are phones just going to gradually get bigger for now on or is 5inches the screen size stopping point?
    Depends what range you are in..

Mid-range phones and phones aimed at 'developing markets' will mostly be smaller. Top-tier devices do all seem to be heading that way...

As an aside, I saw a guy waiting in an auto repair shop surfing the web on his tablet.... his 20 inch tablet... lol... and I thought that the iPad was too big...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonicbluemustang View Post
    It seems we are not getting or seeing all the phones out there. Samsung alone has several phones such as the Galaxy S3 mini a GSM only model, Galaxy Axiom a us cellular only. These are 4 inch screens. Hello Samsung we are calling from Sprint US.
    But they're not really making any noise about those models.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Things like this are cyclical, I think within the next 3-10 years the cycle will reverse and our devices will begin getting smaller and smaller again. We'll see all kinds of ads spinning it like "smaller is better" and "big features in a little package", and all that garbage. I'm willing to bet money on it. Phones can only get bigger for so long. Some manufacturer is gonna come along with a new and different phone and be like "boom, 3.5 inches", and everyone will go crazy for it. It'll have to be a kickass phone though.
    paul-c and Alex trebek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by unopepito06 View Post
    Things like this are cyclical, I think within the next 3-10 years the cycle will reverse and our devices will begin getting smaller and smaller again. We'll see all kinds of ads spinning it like "smaller is better" and "big features in a little package", and all that garbage. I'm willing to bet money on it. Phones can only get bigger for so long. Some manufacturer is gonna come along with a new and different phone and be like "boom, 3.5 inches", and everyone will go crazy for it. It'll have to be a kickass phone though.
    The only way I see the trend reversing is if the phone is just a networking device for other devices. The screen is getting larger so we can have more words in the page due to the fact people are not calling as much but texting more and using the Web. Something would have to replace that ability for phones to shrink.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    WeatherEmperor and pcuciti like this.

Phones will start getting smaller when they become 'just phones' again. Why not get a tablet and a BT headset?
    And don't forget, most of you guys are on the bleeding edge. Not everyone wants the flagship device.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

I don't see computer monitors or televisions going smaller.
    Of course, you don't have to carry them around with you either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I hope to god 5"+ isn't the new size for ALL phones. I do NOT want a 5.7 inch screen phone lmao. It would break in no time from the work I do.

I think 4.7 - 5.0 is the good size. Anything higher than 5 should be a tablet.
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$
    chubb, Ry and pontiac005 like this.

ROM
    Viper

The thought of phones only getting bigger seems to be valid for now. There is one fault though. Ergonomics. Phones these days are horrid from an ergonomic stand point. As more ppl use them more often, this will eventually become an issue and will have to be resolved. This will change devices significantly. Probably smaller, but maybe even larger.

There will also be that threshold where consumers will say enough is enough and they will want smaller devices again. This will be accompanied by the overall size of phones get smaller, but screens don't suffer that much. This is what I am hoping for.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Ry and pcuciti like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    The thought of phones only getting bigger seems to be valid for now. There is one fault though. Ergonomics. Phones these days are horrid from an ergonomic stand point. As more ppl use them more often, this will eventually become an issue and will have to be resolved. This will change devices significantly. Probably smaller, but maybe even larger.

There will also be that threshold where consumers will say enough is enough and they will want smaller devices again. This will be accompanied by the overall size of phones get smaller, but screens don't suffer that much. This is what I am hoping for.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Edge-to-edge DROID RAZR M/RAZR i-like at 4.7" would probably be tolerable for most. Still, edge-to-edge 4.3" is where I'd personally like to stay at. If they continue the M series RAZRs, I'd hope they'd do a 4.3" 1280x720 HD display (vs. qHD).
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Edge-to-edge DROID RAZR M/RAZR i-like at 4.7" would probably be tolerable for most. Still, edge-to-edge 4.3" is where I'd personally like to stay at. If they continue the M series RAZRs, I'd hope they'd do a 4.3" 1280x720 HD display (vs. qHD).
    Thats what my rezound has. Not going to lie. Its pretty amazing...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    I don't see computer monitors or televisions going smaller.
    Of course, you don't have to carry them around with you either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Net-books? Ultra-books? Mac Air?

I'm really pleased the htc one hasn't gotten yet bigger. That may top my decision towards it.

I want a 4" screen shaped like a deck of cards with a 3000+ mAh battery and top specs. all i need it it to hotspot since i use my Nexus 7 for most things except the actual call now. i dont even use my "phone" to text with mighty text app.

I was thinking about this today as I am starting to research my next phone. I was balking at the size of them, and then I realized, my phone is never to my head anyway, I am ALWAYS on my bluetooth. For ease of use, I am looking at a 5" screen being the size for me and my poor eyesight.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    That what I was thinking. My GF's old Razr M was a nice phone, smaller than my old Thunderbolt with the same size screen. A edge to edge screen could make a 5in screen manageable one handed. For me personally the Nexus 4 is about as wide and tall as I would want. I can barely touch all corners one handed. The Note 2 is just too damn big for me to actually use it daily. It all comes down to the size of the bezel though.

For me, I use a mobile device for basically everything I do on a computer. I use the internet quite a bit, and trying to read tiny text on a 2nd generation iPod Touch is frustrating. For me, I would like a screen size like the Note 2. Of course, people have different opinions and different needs. Some people like small phones, and some people like big phones. For me, I like large screens on smartphones, it makes reading small text a lot easier on the eyes.

I was kinda against phones bigger than 4.5", 4.7". After I bought a few eBooks recently....I have somewhat switched sides. The bigger the phone, the less I want a tablet.

So what would happen is I'd have a media player, gps, camera, phone and tablet all rolled into one.

I use my phone for everything; notes, calendar, weather, email, texting, gps, and various apps. I especially enjoy viewing photos and videos. I donít use it as a ďphoneĒ very often. My point is, about 98% of my interaction with the phone is viewing and touching the screen. So for me, a phone with a larger, great looking screen would be great. But I donít want it so big it becomes inconvenient to carry around. I need it to fit comfortably in my jeans pocket. So Iím thinking 4.7Ē Ė 5.0Ēmax. If I used it mostly as a ďphoneĒ Iíd probably opt for a smaller size.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I use my phone for everything under the sun, except gaming. I read, write, text, call, GPS, take and edit photos, facebook, email, browse the internet, watch tv and videos, so a large screen is perfect for me. That being said, I have large hands and the note 2s 5.5" screen is unbearable for me. The phone is bulky and awkward, atleast in my husband's otterbox, and the phone is hard pressed to find a place to rest, in his pocket, in a cupholder, we would have to buy a dock if we wanted to use his phone in the car as a music player because its so darn big. My DNA has a 5" screen, but the bevels on the side and top of the screens are minimized enough that the phone doesnt feel as large. Or maybe its just from having it next to my husband's behemoth, my phone feels normal and sleek in my hand. Perfect for me.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

The new HTC flagship (One) is only 4.7", and there's a leak that says that upcoming Moto X is going to be 4.7", so maybe 4.7" will be a sticky point for a while. I'm pleased with that, since I currently have a 4.7" phone, and it's a little on the large side for my pockets and hands.
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I use my phone for everything under the sun, except gaming. I read, write, text, call, GPS, take and edit photos, facebook, email, browse the internet, watch tv and videos, so a large screen is perfect for me. That being said, I have large hands and the note 2s 5.5" screen is unbearable for me. The phone is bulky and awkward, atleast in my husband's otterbox, and the phone is hard pressed to find a place to rest, in his pocket, in a cupholder, we would have to buy a dock if we wanted to use his phone in the car as a music player because its so darn big. My DNA has a 5" screen, but the bevels on the side and top of the screens are minimized enough that the phone doesnt feel as large. Or maybe its just from having it next to my husband's behemoth, my phone feels normal and sleek in my hand. Perfect for me.

Thatís funny; the first thing I do when I get into my truck is turn on the Bluetooth and put my phone in the cupholder; itís quick and convenient. To me, as important as a larger screen is, itís just as important to be able to handle it conveniently. Otherwise, Iíll start leaving it at home, or in my truck or coat and then whatís the point???
    I currently have a DX and am looking to upgrade. The 5Ē DNA feels good in my hand; Iím just not sure how it would fit in my jeans pocket. Iíve thought about the 4.7Ē HTC One, but who knows if/when a version will be offered by Verizon.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Thatís funny; the first thing I do when I get into my truck is turn on the Bluetooth and put my phone in the cupholder; itís quick and convenient. To me, as important as a larger screen is, itís just as important to be able to handle it conveniently. Otherwise, Iíll start leaving it at home, or in my truck or coat and then whatís the point???
    I currently have a DX and am looking to upgrade. The 5Ē DNA feels good in my hand; Iím just not sure how it would fit in my jeans pocket. Iíve thought about the 4.7Ē HTC One, but who knows if/when a version will be offered by Verizon.
    Without a case the note2 could maybe fit in a cupholder, but with ny husbands OB its a no go. My DNA fits perfectly in the cup holder, even with my OB, but I have yet to figure out how to get the Bluetooth to link up with my prius. It keeps saying no device found... The dna fits in all my pockets, and the note 2 fits in my husband's pockets, but it won't fit in my pockets. I guess different cut of jeans. He has to leave his phone in the car in the morning anyways though because his pts don't have pockets. He has to store it in the dash lol

Iíve looked at the note2 Ė way too big for me. Again, itís trying to find that balance between a large screen that's easy to see and use and something thatís easy to carry. Well, I guess Iíll just have to give it a try; put it in my pocket and see. You bring up a good point about Bluetooth thoughÖ The Bluetooth on my DX/truck works flawlessly and I wouldn't want to be without it. Iíll need to make sure whatever phone I get works with my new truck.
    Which made me think; if you use your phone as a gps, to me thatís another big plus for a larger screen. Who wants to squint at a smaller screen while driving?

I still think 4.5 is the best size, big enough for multimedia, small enough to use one handed, though 4.7 works with a 16:9 aspect ratio. That's what sucks about the nexus 4, it's screen resolution is 1280x768 which makes it too wide. Trying to reach the top left corner is a chore.

I really think phone size is getting out of hand, bigger is better might work for the TV market but it's lunacy with cell phones. Ergonomics are going to hell fast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I thought I would hate 4.7"+ screens, but got an S3 and didn't mind the screen size at all. However the hardware home button was so far down, it made it very hard to use with my even large hands when using it one handed. Sold it, got a Nexus 4 and loved the location of the on screen buttons because of the significant bottom bezel that still made it comfortable to use. To wrap up, 5" sounds fine to me, as long as ergonomics are paid attention too. I usually use the N4 two handed, but when I'm just checking notifications and such, one handed is much more convenient.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast