Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By return_0
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 1 Post By return_0
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 2 Post By return_0
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 4.5



    New Nexus 5 rumor has it at 4.5" (minus software buttons) with minimal bezel.

    An existing device with this size screen is the Sprint Flash made by ZTE, which is pretty close to stock ICS, also with software buttons. I think this is a great form factor, and I hope someone can corroborate this rumor.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    This is great news - another reason i chronically visit this site
  3. #3  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,029 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    I am actually excited by this. It shows that they are thinking about what they are doing and focusing on priorities. If they make a verizon version, I will almost definitely get one

    Sent from my SCH-I535
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    I think it is realistic to hope that Google will announce a phone with US-carrier LTE support at Google I/O. That could be the same Nexus 4 with more storage + LTE, or a new device like that described in this rumor, or a Motorola-branded phone. Hard to say for sure. But another unlocked, GSM/HSPA-only device would be disappointing.
  5. #5  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    I doubt this will happen. Most high-end phones as of late have had 5" screens, and based on previous Nexus phones, Google is likely to follow that.
    Darth Spock and MERCDROID like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    I doubt this will happen. Most high-end phones as of late have had 5" screens, and based on previous Nexus phones, Google is likely to follow that.
    That was the argument I had for why the Chromebook Pixel rumor was fake: Chromebooks tended to be knock-offs of existing Windows laptops, nobody makes 3:2 screens for laptops. But I was wrong, and Google did design their own laptop from scratch, using a different screen size and aspect ratio from anything else on the market because they felt the market wasn't delivering the "right size".

    So this Nexus 4.5 rumor is proposing a comparable thing in the phone space. A different size, and a different type of camera sensor because that's the way Google thinks it should be. Interesting also that the rumor does not name a manufacturing partner.
  7. #7  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    That was the argument I had for why the Chromebook Pixel rumor was fake: Chromebooks tended to be knock-offs of existing Windows laptops, nobody makes 3:2 screens for laptops. But I was wrong, and Google did design their own laptop from scratch, using a different screen size and aspect ratio from anything else on the market because they felt the market wasn't delivering the "right size".

    So this Nexus 4.5 rumor is proposing a comparable thing in the phone space. A different size, and a different type of camera sensor because that's the way Google thinks it should be. Interesting also that the rumor does not name a manufacturing partner.
    I don't see how 16:9 Chromebooks are PC knockoffs but whatever you say.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    I don't see how 16:9 Chromebooks are PC knockoffs but whatever you say.
    I mean knockoffs in the sense that before the Pixel, the Chromebooks were using standard hardware components: screens, keyboards, trackpads that were already in use in the manufacturers' Windows laptops. The recent Acer and HP Chromebooks are in fact just existing PC designs.

    The Pixel has a custom-built chassis, screen, trackpad, and keyboard. So when it leaked, and I thought "that can't be real, it has a 3:2 screen and Google doesn't get custom components for Chromebooks" that turned out to be wrong. Now we have a rumor of an unusual phone with non-standard components...

    I'm talking myself into believing it, but really this is just a one-source rumor at this point.
  9. #9  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    I mean knockoffs in the sense that before the Pixel, the Chromebooks were using standard hardware components: screens, keyboards, trackpads that were already in use in the manufacturers' Windows laptops. The recent Acer and HP Chromebooks are in fact just existing PC designs.

    The Pixel has a custom-built chassis, screen, trackpad, and keyboard. So when it leaked, and I thought "that can't be real, it has a 3:2 screen and Google doesn't get custom components for Chromebooks" that turned out to be wrong. Now we have a rumor of an unusual phone with non-standard components...

    I'm talking myself into believing it, but really this is just a one-source rumor at this point.
    I see what you mean, but I just can't see Google reducing the phone's size to those before even the GNex. I believed the Pixel rumors, but this just seems a little too strange. And at this point, we're not even close to a new Nexus phone release, so there will be tons of different conflicting rumors. I don't think it's safe to assume anything at this point.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    I could see this. The Nexus line no longer (and really never was supposed to) represents a premium phone line. It was supposed to be a line of developer phones. In the beginning this meant high end specs, because that is what Android really needed, but hardware has gotten so powerful that STOCK Android no longer requires the highest end hardware to deliver a good experience and be a good developer phone. It make sense for Google to go less premium, more affordable so that they can get a quality phone to more developers, especially in emerging markets.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  11. #11  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I could see this. The Nexus line no longer (and really never was supposed to) represents a premium phone line. It was supposed to be a line of developer phones. In the beginning this meant high end specs, because that is what Android really needed, but hardware has gotten so powerful that STOCK Android no longer requires the highest end hardware to deliver a good experience and be a good developer phone. It make sense for Google to go less premium, more affordable so that they can get a quality phone to more developers, especially in emerging markets.
    I don't understand. Seems to me that the Nexus line has, as of late, become a premium phone line (in addition to a developer phone line). The N4 had top of the line specs when it was released. So did the N7 and N10. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the Nexus 7 was and still is unparalleled as far as hardware and software.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    I don't see this being true. So it will be clocked lower than the S4...Little bigger battery but 1080 gone. I just don't know if I like that.
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    I don't understand. Seems to me that the Nexus line has, as of late, become a premium phone line (in addition to a developer phone line). The N4 had top of the line specs when it was released. So did the N7 and N10. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the Nexus 7 was and still is unparalleled as far as hardware and software.
    The Nexus 10, I would agree, is a premium device. The N7 is absolutely not a premium device and, if anything, furthers my point. The Tegra 3, while a perfectly capable processor, certainly wasn't the top of the line when the N7 launched the dual core Snapdragon S4's out preformed it in nearly every way. And not including a rear camera is clearly a move to meet a budget, not design a premium device. Now, don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 is still the best tablet you can get at $199, but that doesn't make it a premium device. The N4's lack of LTE support (I understand WHY it was left out) good but not great camera, and lack of 1080p (the first 1080p phone, the Butterfly J, came out less than a month later), while certainly not deal breakers, and certainly don't keep it from being a good phone, I think keep it from being a truly premium handset. Again, all of these concessions make sense to keep the off contract price at $350, but don't make sense for a premium device. Is it the best phone you can buy for $350 off contract? For sure. Is it a truly premium phone? No.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  14. #14  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    The Nexus 10, I would agree, is a premium device. The N7 is absolutely not a premium device and, if anything, furthers my point. The Tegra 3, while a perfectly capable processor, certainly wasn't the top of the line when the N7 launched the dual core Snapdragon S4's out preformed it in nearly every way. And not including a rear camera is clearly a move to meet a budget, not design a premium device. Now, don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 is still the best tablet you can get at $199, but that doesn't make it a premium device. The N4's lack of LTE support (I understand WHY it was left out) good but not great camera, and lack of 1080p (the first 1080p phone, the Butterfly J, came out less than a month later), while certainly not deal breakers, and certainly don't keep it from being a good phone, I think keep it from being a truly premium handset. Again, all of these concessions make sense to keep the off contract price at $350, but don't make sense for a premium device. Is it the best phone you can buy for $350 off contract? For sure. Is it a truly premium phone? No.
    Still doesn't make sense. True, there were better processors at the time of the N7's release, but it was the best 7" tablet. Not the best $199 7" tablet, but the best 7" tablet, period. The same goes for the Nexus 4. The only thing missing from the N4 found on other high-end phones was LTE and extra storage. But the N4 did have the stock Android and speedy updates that the other phones didn't have. Sure, that isn't a hardware feature, but it is something that constitutes as high-end. And it even had a better processor than other phones still considered high-end at the time, like the Galaxy S3 or One X+. The software features of Nexus devices almost make the devices high-end on their own. But that's just my opinion.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock and MERCDROID like this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Is it your guys' position that there's no such thing as a high end phone that is less than 4.7 inches? This thing sounds pretty high end to me.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,029 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Sense when is putting a 4.5" screen in a phone moving backwards or making it less high end? I think too many people have been drinking the Samsung spec Kool aid...

    Sent from my SCH-I535
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  17. #17  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Sense when is putting a 4.5" screen in a phone moving backwards or making it less high end? I think too many people have been drinking the Samsung spec Kool aid...

    Sent from my SCH-I535
    No one said anything like that.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,676 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I could see this. The Nexus line no longer (and really never was supposed to) represents a premium phone line. It was supposed to be a line of developer phones. In the beginning this meant high end specs, because that is what Android really needed, but hardware has gotten so powerful that STOCK Android no longer requires the highest end hardware to deliver a good experience and be a good developer phone. It make sense for Google to go less premium, more affordable so that they can get a quality phone to more developers, especially in emerging markets.
    At least the last two nexus devices were the best available at their respective launches and both held that claim for 6 more months (assuming Note 2 and Nexus 4 are equal, which I and many believe); which is longer than any other device retains the "best" title. Sorry, but have to disagree 100%. Nexus jumps up the bar by one upping Q2 releases in Q3/Q4, forcing innovation which takes until Q2 to be beaten again.
  19. #19  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,676 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Nexus 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    I don't understand. Seems to me that the Nexus line has, as of late, become a premium phone line (in addition to a developer phone line). The N4 had top of the line specs when it was released. So did the N7 and N10. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the Nexus 7 was and still is unparalleled as far as hardware and software.
    Exactly correct. Other than the HTC One (not universally available yet) there is still nothing better than the N4, and the N10 and N7 don't have rivals yet.

Similar Threads

  1. Got the Nexus boot animation running on my Droid
    By brandonscott in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
  2. Nexus One: T-Mobile Partners with Google
    By ERDude in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
  3. Nexus One, Google's plan?
    By Genetic_Bloom in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM
  4. I think Nexus One is not a phone, but an OS
    By Jibeker in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM
  5. nexus one and sense
    By aquaj13 in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

B