Leaving iPhone. Want One or S4....BUT other new phones on the way??

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T. I'd rather not buy a phone full price so I go with the contract (I'm gonna have a cell phone anyway, right?) I was torn between the S4 and HTC One. I'd say One hands-down if it had a removable battery and an SD card slot. But it doesn't. Now I'm reading about possible newer phone coming out in the next month or 2? Of course I'd get a phone this week and then one I LOVE would likely come out.

Does anyone really think a newer, better than S4 or One, phone would come out in the next 3 months? I can wait but I don't know for how long.
As others have said, with Android even if you purchase the latest, most feature-heavy phone, it will quickly be overshadowed by the next device. That's what I kinda like about Android - the competition. But at the same time, it sucks when something "better" comes out a few months later.

I am also a 4S user (on Big Red) and want either the One (if Verizon gets it/gets it in time) or the S4. My power button on my iPhone broke months ago (internally, the spring, aka nothing I did) and my home button is clicky and loud now. I haven't even had it two years yet. Ick.

I upgrade with what I think is best on the day I can upgrade. If you wait there is always something better in a couple months. Start looking a little before the upgrade, pick what you think is best from your carrier and go for it. Luckily I have a phone and a hotspot on my account and have them so I can upgrade once a year. I don't need to upgrade the hotspot all that often.
Yep, that's what I do, too. Unfortunately Big Red falls behind other carriers, but I'm stuck on it so there's nothing I can do about that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you wait, you'll always be waiting.

When you're ready to buy, look at all of the available options and decide.

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You makes some very solid points here. Personally the HTC One is my current favorite between the two phones, and like you said, you're probably going to end up with a new phone before there are any major issues with your current purchase. Also a lot of companies are moving away from contracts, so getting a different phone in the future will be easier to do. Get what works best, then move forward when you feel that it's time.

Ginno Tey

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
current choices: HTC One (build quality) vs S4 (future updates)
upcoming devices: HTC Butterfly S (w/ microsd, 3200mah batt) - already released in Taiwan but not sure for a global release vs Sony i1 Honami (camera,water resist) - release Q3/Q4

Wackydaddy Laotsz

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if price is one of your concerns, Huawei recently launched one called Ascend P6, for me it's really looking cool and Huawei has been a reliable telecom equipment maker for decades, quality is good and the design isn't lame though in all it's mot competing with Galaxy and HTC one. Worth your attention after all.

Fryguy128

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My opinion of the top 5 devices right now are Nexus 4 > HTC One = S4 > LG Optimus Pro > Galaxy Note 2... tomorrow that might be different and in 3 months it definitely will be different.

How do you find the Nexus 4 greater than the S4?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you find the Nexus 4 greater than the S4?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using AC Forums mobile app

Well that list is two months old, but its a combination of cost, philosophy, software and the Samsung buttons. Just the way I rank them if I were forced to choose between those. I realize other people disagree :)

Transmitted through spacetime.

JHyde92

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Why does it matter if it doesn't have a removable battery or SD card slot? People never complained about it with the iPhone - so why is it now all of a sudden an issue? 32 GB is ample space for pretty much all users. If that was the only reason the HTC One didn't win then I would still get it especially if you were on iPhone and you didn't mind it, if there was any technical bits wise that you wanted which the HTC One or S4 didn't have then get vice-versa. As most other people stated there will always be upgrades coming out such as the Moto X (if it will be an improvement) and Note 3 will be good, but it just depends on what you want :)