Nexus, AOSP, Enthusiasts, and Developers (Long Post)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Presumably the nexus line seems to be a line of mainstream developer devices. However their has been an underling focus by Google to market the Nexus line to the mainstream consumer. This mainstream idea of Nexus can not be soundly denied or confirmed but lets presume this is Google's secondary focus for Nexus devices. Then nexus devices has been relatively unsuccessful compared to other mainstream consumer devices. This kind of success for Nexus line has been a hope for some android enthusiasts because the success may bring more devices with the pure Google experience which is my dream.

The pure Google experience being stock android. The nexus line devices being the only devices to offer stock android making them the option have stock android with out hacking. The nexus devices have a drawback which is choice in hardware. Google chooses mobile oem to manufacture the nexus device for the year.Google nexus program brings a growing number of debates and criticism which comes to preface. Enthusiasts who prefer stock android have limited options, however; has seem to give enthusiast another option. This option in a form of a popular flagship device running stock android.

At Google I/O this Google unveiled briefly and vaguely Galaxy S4 running stock android. Nothing more know about Galaxy S4 then what was presented at Google I/0 and not even a official name. Regardless hears every android enthusiasts wet dream a popular flagship device with stock android. The dream has come a reality and reality proves the dream is proven better at the moment. No one thought what one would loose if you remove the most popular flagship android devices' ui. Now with Galaxy S4 we can speculated at time the extra sensors and sd card slot in S4 are rendered useless with stock android software. In addition the price of the stock android Galaxy S4 is the same as the touchwiz verision which utilize all the sensors built in. My dream may have turned into nightmare,.

The stock android Galaxy S4 doesn't come out until late June so it to soon to tell if this device dream come true or a bad dream. Leaving all the melodramatics behind the Galaxy S4 with stock android should not be a compete surprise to android enthusiasts. Google and Sony first set out last year in little endeavor called the Xperia S AOSP Project. The project was taking Sony establish Xperia S and codding to run stock android. Google's end goal was never revealed at tend the aosp project in fact Google left the project over codding issues between Sony. Sony still continue on with project and currently couple other devices with stock android. The Xperia S AOSP Project does not seem to have a consumer user end goal rather collaboration of twp companies to further there research and development. What made this more apparent between both company was lack of details on project as well as a clear objective for the project. Several month later we now have the Galaxy S4 running stock android.What did they find or want from aosp project they did not seem to get with the Xperia S but found so appealing in Samsung with the Galaxy S4?

Profit for Google or Samsung seems like least like possibility for the stock android Galaxy S4 or the idea to please some fanatical android fans. Then who is this device for and does Google gain from this particular device?. This devices not seem a tool for android developer community but more a toy..

Last edited:

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd say the S4 (stock edition) is a device for android enthusiasts. Take your favorite software, slap it in the best hardware package around, and you've got something for the peeps who like that kind of thing. It's not a profit driver, or a pure dev device (not that the N4 is really those either)

It's something I'd certainly look at if it was available on VZW.

Also "mellow dramatic" should be "melodramatic"

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the S4 (stock edition) is a device for android enthusiasts. Take your favorite software, slap it in the best hardware package around, and you've got something for the peeps who like that kind of thing. It's not a profit driver, or a pure dev device (not that the N4 is really those either)

It's something I'd certainly look at if it was available on VZW.

Also "mellow dramatic" should be "melodramatic"

Yes I stop proof reading my post after I kept lossing my thought but misspellings melodramatic is huge fail.

Can you explain why Nexus 4 may be lacking as a developer device? From the Nexus One to the Nexus 4 are good developer phones for android comunity I don't see where the Nexus 4 strayed for may the fact of missing LTE. Sales are not point we can agree but I mention seems to please small minority of enthusiasts seems lot wasted work and money for a small amount of admiration.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading articles and looking over video blogs to get differnt views on the stock android Galaxy S4. I found one video blog went in-depth on one particular highlight listed on the device which is the "Nexus Experience". These words never been used in marketing by Google market their Nexus devices. The pharse they like use to describe there nexus product s have be on lines on pure android experience or pure google experience. The phrases they use refer to stock android. Now what makes words nexus experience to descibe stock android is it emphasizes on the Nexus brand. I wonder if this is a change in marketing to better associated stock android and Nexus line of device to gain the mainstream brand recognition.

Then the Galaxy S4 would be tool to employ this marketing strategy. There taking well know device that will get everyone attention because of success and popular samsung already has. When Galaxy S4 Google Edition is being market along Nexus line the mainstream consumer will recognise the Galaxy S4 but learn about stock android under the "Nexus Experience". The "Nexus Experience" will show Nexus at top as the Father android devices and all android devices are just reiterations of the orginal. This wikk gain the Nexus line mainstream admiration and brand recognition. Google and Nexus will be heros and pioneers the mass never new they were.

When the next nexus device comes it shouldly more recognise able name and have more mainstream acceptance. Basically Galaxy S4 Google Edition is a marketing tool to boast Nexus line. Furthermore Galaxy S4 Google Edition will educate the mainstream on significant Google's work with Nexus and how that effects all mainstream android devices on market. Then I would understand and appericiate Galaxys S4 Google Edition as a marketing tool.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34