Nexus Rumors?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Their hasn't been much buzz or speculation this year on next nexus (phone) especially compared to previous years. "I wonder what next nexus will be?" Is question usually buzzing around the tech world as far as blogs go.

Has the Nexus become an after thought?
Are we more concern what next Android OS will bring rather than what hardware will be used.

Is not knowing what Google will do next killed any anticipation for what's next until it comes out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Their hasn't been much buzz or speculation this year on next nexus (phone) especially compared to previous years. "I wonder what next nexus will be?" Is question usually buzzing around the tech world as far as blogs go.

Has the Nexus become an after thought?
Are we more concern what next Android OS will bring rather than what hardware will be used.

Is not knowing what Google will do next killed any anticipation for what's next until it comes out.

I think part of that is because a lot of people have been wondering about the new nexus and thinking of /confusing it with the Motorola X phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Only recent rumor has been about the updated Nexus 7.

We're still far from the Nexus 4 replacement, IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm combing for those rumors, but they're just not out there in any trustable or meaningful way. It is getting close to when we think the selection of OEM will be made and when supply chain rumors start developing, but it's really possible Google already selected a manufacturer.

As far as specs go, it's a little hard to be worried, given that every Nexus device thus far has been at the top of the spec race on it's release day for it's niche. I think we can make some assumptions, but doing so this early is really just a guess based on the last one. I think it's safe to say based on the GE phones that it'll be GSM only with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE (possibly), and that we probably will not see a CDMA version again. I'd assume we see a 16GB version and either an 8GB or 32GB version for $50 less or more, respectively, depending on how sales of the 8GB N4 went.

As for the next version of Android: The extra sensory API's discussed at IO on June 15th, also believed to be loosely described by the Moto X discussion, lend credence to the possibility of those sensors being in the next Nexus, however aside from those and some additional methods or returning power to Google regarding functionality fragmentation, I wouldn't expect any major breakthroughs in software. This will be more similar to a 4.2 from 4.1 update, rather than a 4.0 from 2.3 update (or 3.x if you had a tablet or Google TV).

One major rumor about KLP is software optimization on low to mid-range hardware. This lends to two ideas... one, the overwhelming consensus among nerds that we're not using the majority of the power offered by the high end specs on flagship devices and two, that because of one, it's possible that Google will be pushing to have a much higher quality user experience on much cheaper devices, thus allowing them to push their dream of more access to the internet and related services on a much more global scale. This is also in line with Motorola's comments about the prices of smart-phones, as well as those of Larry Page in his speech at IO.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm combing for those rumors, but they're just not out there in any trustable or meaningful way. It is getting close to when we think the selection of OEM will be made and when supply chain rumors start developing, but it's really possible Google already selected a manufacturer.

As far as specs go, it's a little hard to be worried, given that every Nexus device thus far has been at the top of the spec race on it's release day for it's niche. I think we can make some assumptions, but doing so this early is really just a guess based on the last one. I think it's safe to say based on the GE phones that it'll be GSM only with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE (possibly), and that we probably will not see a CDMA version again. I'd assume we see a 16GB version and either an 8GB or 32GB version for $50 less or more, respectively, depending on how sales of the 8GB N4 went.

As for the next version of Android: The extra sensory API's discussed at IO on June 15th, also believed to be loosely described by the Moto X discussion, lend credence to the possibility of those sensors being in the next Nexus, however aside from those and some additional methods or returning power to Google regarding functionality fragmentation, I wouldn't expect any major breakthroughs in software. This will be more similar to a 4.2 from 4.1 update, rather than a 4.0 from 2.3 update (or 3.x if you had a tablet or Google TV).

One major rumor about KLP is software optimization on low to mid-range hardware. This lends to two ideas... one, the overwhelming consensus among nerds that we're not using the majority of the power offered by the high end specs on flagship devices and two, that because of one, it's possible that Google will be pushing to have a much higher quality user experience on much cheaper devices, thus allowing them to push their dream of more access to the internet and related services on a much more global scale. This is also in line with Motorola's comments about the prices of smart-phones, as well as those of Larry Page in his speech at IO.

That was an interesting read but think I didn't clarify my point to well.

I think in pervious years there has been lot more leaked rumors about the nexts nexus and android software. However this year's rumors seem sparce in comparison. I know that few rumor on previous nexus devices started as early as February.

Now for me I wonder why this year is so different. I am not hunting for Nexus news but never was before but there just practically know news. I am sure buzz will start building when we get close to Nov but overall there has been more buzz through out the years than this year.

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been particularly looking for Nexus rumors either, but so far this year I've seen several Nexus 5 rumors. They aren't any less common than in previous years, and it's still too early for the rumors to start becoming rampant.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been particularly looking for Nexus rumors either, but so far this year I've seen several Nexus 5 rumors. They aren't any less common than in previous years, and it's still too early for the rumors to start becoming rampant.

At this time last year everyone was convinced there would be 5 Nexus devices.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Seems like any rumors for any upcoming device is practically non-existent or not reliable. When I google Nexus 5, Moto X, iphone 5s, or Note 3 most of the time nothing new ever comes up except the same 2 or 3 websites posting the same info over and over again. I never paid any sort of attention in prior years (I am new to smartphones) but I'm surprised and impressed at how well manufacturers keep information under wraps.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I feel like the Nexus phones have been put on the back burner. I hope that they're not going to scrap the Nexus line.

Why does everyone keep thinking that? There's no evidence whatsoever pointing to dropping or abandoning the Nexus line.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Nexus Q, S4 GE, One GE ;)

Though I'm sure that's not what they were talking about.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I understood the rumor to mean one Nexus from all major OEM's, each available on all carriers in 2012. Then that got twisted to be Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Q and ?? ... which is just bad twisting of facts to support bad guessing.

This year I think we'll see at least 5 Google Editions (3 announced so far, 1 more rumored) + a Nexus 7, 4(5?) and 10.

IIRC they flat out said they weren't changing the Nexus program, but I don't remember the source atm so *shrug*.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the Nexus phones have been put on the back burner. I hope that they're not going to scrap the Nexus line.

We're in the summer. Traditionally, when have Nexus phones been announced/released?

markray

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I am suspecting that there will be no more Nexus phones. Google started offering stock Android OS to big players such as Samsnung and HTC which will mean no more Nexus. Also, Google partnership with Motorola means new line of smartphone maybe called "X series"

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it's because of the excitement of other stock android (GE) phones. Drawing out the stock android addicts like moths to a light. Soon the nexus 5 will have a light of it's own, and more and more moths will flit to thatlight

Sent from my wonderful Nexus 7