Motorola will make the Nexus 5 Q4

KingGinger55

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally hope LG gets it again. It seems like everyone else gets two iterations (Except HTC with the N1).

Posted via Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it... i see them going with lg again. This would through the whole "no special treatment" thing away completely. Lg is the only one i can doing it at this point.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally hope LG gets it again. It seems like everyone else gets two iterations (Except HTC with the N1).

If you count the G1/Dream as a Nexus (it was stock - if there was such a thing) then they did as well. Most people don't, but I somewhat consider it one. I like the 2 and out pattern, but I'm not really sure I want someone other than Asus on the next Nexus 7... so torn! Let's see what they do.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Dumb question but humor me - Q4 this year, as in just around the corner? SWEET!!! :)
I hope it is based in some way (or similar to) the Moto X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Dumb question but humor me - Q4 this year, as in just around the corner? SWEET!!! :)
I hope it is based in some way (or similar to) the Moto X.

October through December :) That's in line with other Nexus phone releases.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This! A Nexus version of the G2 will be awesome.

I was thinking the same thing, but I never considered Motorola being in the mix. If the gods let me choose between the two, I'd choose having it based off of Moto X. It has a smaller form factor than even the current Nexus 4 and potentially will be easy to hold and operate with one hand. This is pretty exciting news. It is the first real tip that we have by a reliable inside source that there will actually be a Nexus successor.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps Google wants to make the Nexus 5 immune to ITC import bans Apple will try to impose so they will go with Motorola manufacturing in USA.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps Google wants to make the Nexus 5 immune to ITC import bans Apple will try to impose so they will go with Motorola manufacturing in USA.

Not if they want to keep the low price they won't. Manufacturing in the US will also not solve the problem, because import bans would apply to individual components too. Since Moto is just doing final assembly in the US, and not manufacturing all of the components here, it wouldn't solve any problems.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it... i see them going with lg again. This would through the whole "no special treatment" thing away completely. Lg is the only one i can doing it at this point.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Uhh, pretty much anyone except the Chinese vendors could 'do it'. If Motorola is the company chosen, it would be because they submitted the best bid that fit the requirements of the android team. We know Motorola is interested, because Dennis Woodside has said so.

Also, a huge strike against LG getting the contract again was the issues they had with manufacturing capacity. With how popular Nexus devices have become, the ability to produce the device in substantial numbers would certainly be a part of any bid.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Not if they want to keep the low price they won't. Manufacturing in the US will also not solve the problem, because import bans would apply to individual components too. Since Moto is just doing final assembly in the US, and not manufacturing all of the components here, it wouldn't solve any problems.

I think the import ban depends on what patent is allegedly being violated. If it is the rubberband-bouce back or the slide to unlock feature patent is banned which component would you ban? Since the components aren't specific for that patent if you ban them you'd prevent production of all phones and many other electronics. Lets say there is a patent that the Droid Ultra violates but the Droid MAXX doesn't. So you ban the screen of a Droid Ultra because of the patent but lets say the same screen is used on Droid MAXX that doesn't use the software patent how can you ban that too? What if it is a basic transistor? You going to ban all transistors?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the import ban depends on what patent is allegedly being violated. If it is the rubberband-bouce back or the slide to unlock feature patent is banned which component would you ban? Since the components aren't specific for that patent if you ban them you'd prevent production of all phones and many other electronics. Lets say there is a patent that the Droid Ultra violates but the Droid MAXX doesn't. So you ban the screen of a Droid Ultra because of the patent but lets say the same screen is used on Droid MAXX that doesn't use the software patent how can you ban that too? What if it is a basic transistor? You going to ban all transistors?

Software patents are different than hardware patents. None of the hardware patents apple holds are as broad as what you stated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, a huge strike against LG getting the contract again was the issues they had with manufacturing capacity. With how popular Nexus devices have become, the ability to produce the device in substantial numbers would certainly be a part of any bid.

I have a feeling that that's just because they didn't anticipate the high numbers of sales, not because they were incapable of producing enough units. Remember, the same thing happened with the Nexus 10, and Samsung is by no means incapable of producing units in high numbers.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Software patents are different than hardware patents. None of the hardware patents apple holds are as broad as what you stated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

But the patent Apple is using via the ITC to block Samsung is U.S. Patent No. 7,479,949 describing (below) a "touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics,". Which sounds like a two finger swipe. So if Samsung were to assemble S3's in the United States what component are you going to ban? The screen? I'm sure Google has plenty of lawyers looking at it:

Google says Moto X won't be subject to ITC import bans because it's assembled in the U.S.
FOSS Patents: Google says Moto X won't be subject to ITC import bans because it's assembled in the U.S.

Moto X Phone built stateside to dodge ITC jurisdiction
Moto X Phone built stateside to dodge ITC jurisdiction - Stabley Times | Stabley Times

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But the patent Apple is using via the ITC to block Samsung is U.S. Patent No. 7,479,949 describing (below) a "touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics,". Which sounds like a two finger swipe. So if Samsung were to assemble S3's in the United States what component are you going to ban? The screen? I'm sure Google has plenty of lawyers looking at it:

Google says Moto X won't be subject to ITC import bans because it's assembled in the U.S.
FOSS Patents: Google says Moto X won't be subject to ITC import bans because it's assembled in the U.S.

Moto X Phone built stateside to dodge ITC jurisdiction
Moto X Phone built stateside to dodge ITC jurisdiction - Stabley Times | Stabley Times

That's a software patent.

Google may be able to get around an import ban by finishing the product here, but it does not prevent apple from getting import bans on the offending parts, should it involve those patents. The place of final assembly is irrelevant if Motorola has to import the parts.

Also, it should be noted that import bans are rare. If Apple believed the Moto X infringed on their patents (which there is no indication that they believe that to be true) they would seek injunctions.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that that's just because they didn't anticipate the high numbers of sales, not because they were incapable of producing enough units. Remember, the same thing happened with the Nexus 10, and Samsung is by no means incapable of producing units in high numbers.

The nexus 10 was a different situation. That screen is what held up that production.

There were also indications that LG was not up to the task of producing enough phones for Google. They also were completely out of their league when it came to forecasting where sales occurred.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a software patent.

Google may be able to get around an import ban by finishing the product here, but it does not prevent apple from getting import bans on the offending parts, should it involve those patents. The place of final assembly is irrelevant if Motorola has to import the parts.

Also, it should be noted that import bans are rare. If Apple believed the Moto X infringed on their patents (which there is no indication that they believe that to be true) they would seek injunctions.

I never said it was a hardware or software patent. My original premise:
Perhaps Google wants to make the Nexus 5 immune to ITC import bans Apple will try to impose so they will go with Motorola manufacturing in USA

I think most of Apples lawsuits actually are mostly over software patents hence the strategy Google/Motorola is employing to get around them, ie manufacturing them in the US.