Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WIll there be a $199 Nexus device this fall?

The LG Nexus 5 will probably be $299/$349. Could the Moto Nexus start at $199 (8GB)/$249 (16GB)? Are there any other Nexus devices in the works?

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Default Re: WIll there be a $199 Nexus device this fall?

That would be awesome but I think we can only wait, wish and hope for that kind of pricing and options.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

There already is a $199 Nexus device...

And besides, this isn't something you'd see from the Nexus line. They're first and foremost meant to be reference devices for developers (of which you wouldn't have much need for more than one variant) rather than normal flagships with all sorts of derivative models.

Global Posts
    6,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

What's the Moto Nexus?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    What's the Moto Nexus?
    It's the Nexus device that was rumored some guy mentioned and now everyone believes will become a reality.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    It's the Nexus device that was rumored some guy mentioned and now everyone believes will become a reality.
    Okay, if they make it I'm curious about it but I haven't seen anything that indicates that's going on.

ROM
    Viper

Let's all ask ourselves something: if Google didn't own moto, would we have this speculation about them making the nexus?

That will tell you all you need to know about the "moto" nexus situation. All of the "rumors" have faceless and baseless. Just like the rumors of the moto x being priced like the nexus phones.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Let's all ask ourselves something: if Google didn't own moto, would we have this speculation about them making the nexus?
    Agreed

That will tell you all you need to know about the "moto" nexus situation. All of the "rumors" have faceless and baseless
    True, but Taylor Wimberly's speculation imo gave some credibility to the Motorola's involvement. Remember LG said months ago that they weren't working on the next Nexus. (I understand that statement was vague and probably retracted). For those reason, and my propensity to drink Kool-Aid, I wouldn't be totally surprised if a second Nexus device that was made by Motorola appeared this holiday season alongside whatever device it was that showed up in the recent FCC filing.

Just like the rumors of the moto x being priced like the nexus phones.
    Oh yeah, I blissfully drank that Kool-Aid too despite cooler heads -- like yours' -- cautioning against wild rumors. Anyways, its fun to speculate.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Remember LG said months ago that they weren't working on the next Nexus. (I understand that statement was vague and probably retracted). For those reason, and my propensity to drink Kool-Aid, I wouldn't be totally surprised if a second Nexus device that was made by Motorola appeared this holiday season alongside whatever device it was that showed up in the recent FCC filing.

Didnt LG state they were not working on a Nexus 5...if thats not the name maybe it was them just messing with us.

Just do not see the point of having 2 Nexus devices coming out so close to each other especially if the first one is based of the LG G2 what else could anyone else offer at this point to compete? Unless the aim was to release a second "low spcs cheaper" version?

Oh yeah, I blissfully drank that Kool-Aid too despite cooler heads -- like yours' -- cautioning against wild rumors. Anyways, its fun to speculate.

ROM

I cant cite anything, but I remember Google saying that at some point in the future they wanted multiple Nexus devices from multiple companies, I am praying this is the case this year because I really don't want another LG device that I have to RMA 3 times.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post
    I cant cite anything, but I remember Google saying that at some point in the future they wanted multiple Nexus devices from multiple companies, I am praying this is the case this year because I really don't want another LG device that I have to RMA 3 times.
    I could of course be wrong, but i believe that referred to there being tablets and such along side the nexus phone...

I dont see a reason for multiple nexus phones unless they are going to make one for developers and one as a flagship for the mass market.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Since when is LG the only manufacturer who's made phones with defective units?

ROM

Since when is LG the only manufacturer who's made phones with defective units?
    Where did I ever say that LG was the ONLY one? Don't put words in my mouth please. I am sure other companies have made defective units, that's totally obvious, but I have never had to return a phone 3 times, (would have been 4 if I hadn't accidentally cracked the back glass panel, another flaw, and been unable to send it back). I know 4 people who have owned N4's, and every single one of them has had to do an RMA for defective hardware. Out of all the manufacturers I have had experiences with LG has been by far the absolute worst. Poor hardware combined with the poor handling of the release of the phone should prevent them from making another Nexus.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Where did I ever say that LG was the ONLY one? Don't put words in my mouth please. I am sure other companies have made defective units, that's totally obvious, but I have never had to return a phone 3 times, (would have been 4 if I hadn't accidentally cracked the back glass panel, another flaw, and been unable to send it back). I know 4 people who have owned N4's, and every single one of them has had to do an RMA for defective hardware. Out of all the manufacturers I have had experiences with LG has been by far the absolute worst. Poor hardware combined with the poor handling of the release of the phone should prevent them from making another Nexus.
    There are bound to be some people with bad luck with certain manufacturers. For what it's worth, I know five people with N4s, and neither I nor any of the people I know have had problems with the phone. If the phone really did have quality control issues, that would have been well-known. I guarantee you, the situation would not be very different with a different manufacturer.
    Thanked by:

I completely feel like people are putting their hopes way to high for a $349 price again. I feel like their is going to be a lot of pissed out people complaining really soon.

ROM

There are bound to be some people with bad luck with certain manufacturers. For what it's worth, I know five people with N4s, and neither I nor any of the people I know have had problems with the phone. If the phone really did have quality control issues, that would have been well-known. I guarantee you, the situation would not be very different with a different manufacturer.
    I understand that my issues and stories are purely anecdotal, but the quality issues were very real and well known. The stories of people cracking that back panel from very minor falls onto soft surfaces were all over tech sites (even Android central from what I recall), and even on Google news a couple times. I also read about, and experienced, the Google wallet initialization glitch that affected the first couple of runs. Combine that with how poorly they handled the release and you have a company that shouldn't be allowed to make the next Nexus.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

The stories of people cracking that back panel from very minor falls onto soft surfaces were all over tech sites (even Android central from what I recall), and even on Google news a couple times.
    That isn't because of poor manufacturing; it's because the phone is practically made of glass. If you carry a glass slab in your pocket all the time instead of a Nexus 4, you'll see similar results with breakage.

I also read about, and experienced, the Google wallet initialization glitch that affected the first couple of runs.
    I've never heard of that, but that would sound like a software issue, which wouldn't be affected by the manufacturer.

Combine that with how poorly they handled the release and you have a company that shouldn't be allowed to make the next Nexus.
    I'm pretty sure Google was mostly at fault for this, as they apparently underestimated the sales of the phone and ordered very few phones to be made. One thing leading me to believe this is that Samsung's Nexus 10 was plagued by the same issue at launch, but Samsung is certainly capable of making devices in large quantities.

ROM

That isn't because of poor manufacturing; it's because the phone is practically made of glass. If you carry a glass slab in your pocket all the time instead of a Nexus 4, you'll see similar results with breakage.

I've never heard of that, but that would sound like a software issue, which wouldn't be affected by the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure Google was mostly at fault for this, as they apparently underestimated the sales of the phone and ordered very few phones to be made. One thing leading me to believe this is that Samsung's Nexus 10 was plagued by the same issue at launch, but Samsung is certainly capable of making devices in large quantities.
    Well actually a Google exec put the blame squarely on LG he said "scarce and erratic supplies from LG" were to blame, certainly sounds like a reliable manufacturer. And when it comes to the glass yes it was shoddy materials look at the iphone it also has a glass back and it never had several articles popping up at its release claiming that the back would shatter if you breathed in its general direction.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Personally, I would like to see a nexus smart watch. Something that really takes advantage of google now cards and is a more simplistic design than the galaxy gear or toq. I think 199 should be a feasible price to sell a watch for as well.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

NO.

No Nexus for $199 unless you don't want LTE.